You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
FukushuNL

Is Roma worth the buy?

50 comments in this topic

[BODEM]
Players
740 posts
6,729 battles

Read some reviews and the Wiki page, but would like to hear some personal experiences from captains that own her if they would be so kind to share them :) Heard she is comfortable to play with, but she overpens easily on one side and can't pen regularly on the other side. On top of that, her shell dispersion is bad and her AA is crap. Plus she has a high citadel. Do Roma captains think her qualities overcome her weaknesses?

• Cool 2

[UTW]
Alpha Tester
2,032 posts
9,631 battles

Not with the current MM. With these 380mm rifles in tier X battle, which counts for 40 to 60 percents of your games, you'll not have a good time. Tho, with equal tiers, she feels quite good and tanky. 
Indeed, she's super comfy to play, these guns, the way she turns, the range, the spotter... Everything is made to have a smooth gameplay. Everything, except the gun accuracy. They derp a lot, Bismarck style. And about overpens, yes. The best comparison I can have is with Dunkerque in this regard. Sometimes, she'll citadel everything that passes, sometimes, it will indeed be an overpen fest.  
Armorwise, it's comparable to american battleship, with even more tankyness thanks to her extra plating on the nose. Get broadside, and likely you'll get citadelled if the ennemy is closer than 12km.

AA wise, from bad she became meh. You can't prevent an attack, tho the CV will have losses if he tries to redrop you. 

• Cool 4

[JRM]
Players
6,278 posts
24,145 battles

Oh she pens all right, right through, other then that shes a peach has lower concealment then many cruisers in her mm spread alas you will have to be painfully aware of your ammo choices, turns on a dime and turret traverse is top, comfortable ship, aldough dispersion can troll you sometimes but its not worse then what you ll see from most other bbs, dont play mine that much but i dont regret buying her, oh and she s a looker

• Cool 2

[N3XUS]
Players
1,101 posts
23,849 battles

asked myself earlier exactly same question: is Roma worth it? Yes, imho Roma is certainly worth buying, yes, for sure. What I have seen of it in battles (its performance) + score-lists shown after battle Roma (VIII) is doing real fine. Don't worry about AA-defense: you always got some teammates say range 6 kms and Roma does fine, np. Anyway, I also play carriers and even when fully focusing on enemy Roma (VIII) i never ever could sink one(!), meaning AA is ok-ish downing lots of my planes IJN-carriers i mean.

Reason why i myself never got it (Roma) is cuz I myself much more prefer my far better & stronger Massachusetts (VIII) fully secondary specced, repair party (fast one 40 secs), etc, etc. So, even if i would purchase Roma I still always would prefer ta play my Massachusetts each time when logging-in game.

But if you ask me: is Roma (VIII) a good ship? oh yes, it is a very good ship & i have seen it perform real ok:cap_like:

Weekend Tester
804 posts
9,001 battles

Roma feels like a much better version of Vanguard. It actually has some decent armour (unlike Vanguard) which helps it cope with the very unfavourable Tier 8 MM. As mentioned above, the guns don't feel any different to those of other BBs - any variation in paper stats is overwritten by the huge effect of RNG and the game management system.

[XTREM]
[XTREM]
Players
1,581 posts
13,502 battles

Roma is a conundrum. 

One on hand, sometimes she is frustrating to play, especially with the overpens and accuracy issues. 

One the other, her excellent concealment, amazeballs turret traverse and great armour should not be discounted. And, her guns are actually very potent when they don't troll you. They have the best dmg for a 15inch(granted not by much) and very high penetration. 

This combo of conceal, strong armour, rambo turrets and inaccurate guns means that she is best at mid and also close range whenever the situation allows. Plan your advances carefully. Know when to commit, when not to. Control your speed, keep your ship angled, and you can do well. 

However, given the nature of the guns, I wouldn't take her to competitive.

P.S. She is also easy on the eyes :Smile_bajan2:

• Cool 5

Players
71 posts
4,325 battles

Roma is nice, it looks good, but RNG screw you more than often. Somehow I find Massachusetts guns more reliable. Shotgunning for shotgunning, you might prefer having 16" SHS and amazing secondaries. Don't get me wrong, Roma is good, but if I HAVE to play 15" guns at T8, I would take Richelieu over Roma everyday. Roma tank well, but the combination of high pen and strange dispersion makes it all or none when you fire, either you get a nice group and good damage, or only overpen/miss. 

I would say, get Massy if you want a T8 BB for the fact of owning one. Still Roma is nice boat.

[BODEM]
Players
740 posts
6,729 battles

..Well, I got Massa the moment she released because I love NC for her bowtanking and AA and the German secundaries. I also have a Rich in the harbor atm which is gathering dust as I am focussing on lvling my Monarch. When I got a moment of "mmm, what would Izumo be like", I pull the Amagi out from her port slot to lvl that a bit. So atm I'm spoiled for T8 BBs.

So why am I looking at Roma?

-I got 12450 dubloons

-got a ship from every country apart from poland and Italy

-Italian ships look good. Making me feel I somehow need an Italian ship in my harbor.

-Italian ships are like Alfa Romeos on Top Gear: They all seem awful compared to the rest, but everyone with passion for ships seem to love them.

-there will be Guilio at T6, but I kinda like the T8 region big ships. 

-Italian captain trainer

Massa has a unique playing style as having every plus point of the americans and secundaries rivaling the Germans, great turning speed and torp protection. I don't think I can expect such uniqueness and strenght from Roma, so I'll take fun gameplay and effectiveness/good score possibillity as my "take it or leave it" points. Is she at least fun to play with potency to top half positions on the list, no matter the MM?

O, and thanks for all that posted already. Some might already answered my questions a bit, thought I need a bit more persuation.

• Cool 1

[SHAD]
Players
2,467 posts
11,026 battles

I really couldn’t recommend it over the Massachusetts even if the Massa didn’t have secondaries.

Weekend Tester
415 posts
11,138 battles

I'll say: not worth

1 worst gun realibity for that tier (maybe monarch could be worse bu i dont have it)

2 15' is really a bad caliber at the moment (many 27+mm plated cruisers)

3 too many carriers to use the good concealment

The good things in armor and gun layout and rotation speed are easily offset by your teamates if push is not possible

Players
439 posts
5,436 battles
1 hour ago, FukushuNL said:

Making me feel I somehow need an Italian ship in my harbor.

If you just want an Italian, why not try one of the the Ducas?  They can both be a lot of fun as long as you have at least 10 point captain and preferably 13. 

[TTTX]
[TTTX]
Players
4,608 posts
8,081 battles
1 hour ago, FukushuNL said:

O, and thanks for all that posted already. Some might already answered my questions a bit, thought I need a bit more persuation.

this isnt necessarily going to be persuasive, but honest - with the Roma, it really depends on the skipper and what he wants out of a boat.

If you want a super powerful murderboat, the Roma is not what you are looking for.

If you want laser accurate, reliable guns, the Roma is not what you are looking for.

If you want a USN style No-Fly zone, the Roma is not what you are looking for.

But.

If you want a ship that really feels like it's trying to help you and does its best, cue Fubuki memes the Roma might just be what you are looking for.

The overall handling (gun angles and traverse, as well as general maneuverability) is very very nice.

She can go where you need her to (decently stealthy, decently fast).

The armour is reliable and gives you exactly what you expect - not much against IFHE spam or Yamatos, but great against other BB AP as long as you know how to angle. Which is easy to do thanks to the handling, see above.

The guns can be temperamental, that's true - but it goes both ways, when they're in the mood they are quite deadly.

• Cool 4

[BYOB]
[BYOB]
Players
4,466 posts
19,635 battles

The Roma is my favorite premium ship, whenever I want a nice game I pick her and let fly.

The handling, the armor, the looks, they all compensate for the meme worthy guns. And speaking about them, when they they hit hard.

[WGP2W]
Beta Tester
1,231 posts
6,339 battles

I loved the Roma. It is a pretty stealthy ship with nice velocity guns. Dispersion can be garbage so now and than, but who cares. 
I love the looks the most. 

The only reason I haven't bought a second Roma is because an Italian BB line won't come soon. 

[BHSFL]
Players
3,387 posts

Roma had become my favorite BB that does not give the impression you are totally screwed landing in a +1 or +2 match and before i had the Mushashi was my highest credit and XP ( for XP chests  ) income ship. I used it every day when grinding the then soon to be removed Mushashi. The only thing i would wish for it had torpedo's for close quarters combat :-))

Some enemies ( even +2 tier ones ) are frightened by it aswell when you charge them with it. Maybe because they don't see it that often and are not sure what it is. Maybe fear it has torpedo's....

Mine has fallen into some disuse because of missions that require a certain nation ( which never seem to be AXIS forces ) exclude it, Operations at that tier are unavailable and i am busy with the CV's.

Players
3,220 posts

No she is not, i could not make her work so got shot, it was one i got in a loot box but I could find no use for her, same goes for the Vanguard which I regret buying, along with the Wichita, to me Massachusetts or Alabama are much better.

Beta Tester
1,971 posts
12,852 battles

The problem with the Roma is the same as the problem with most T8 premiums. It is a lot of money to spend to be nothing more than fodder for T10 ships.

• Cool 1

[BODEM]
Players
740 posts
6,729 battles
10 minutes ago, xxNihilanxx said:

The problem with the Roma is the same as the problem with most T8 premiums. It is a lot of money to spend to be nothing more than fodder for T10 ships.

Very true, this. 

Nontheless, I bought her, mostly thanks to @Tyrendian89 dragging me over the line. And for the few games I have played, my initial thoughts are positive. Random bullit spread like my Massa and Musashi, maybe a bit worse. Love the turret travers and the armor. Gave her rudder shift upgrade and going for full concealment build ofc. She's now a kinda big T8 cruiser with BB guns and armor and acceleration. Shot down 5 planes from one squadron too, so I'm kinda happy with that. If she just had a bit more compact spread, better HE's or torps, she would be marvelous, But I'll settle for it being a very wellbehaving fun ship. 

You were right, Tyrendian, she really tries to do her best for ya. 

• Cool 1

[TAW]
Players
219 posts
7,073 battles

Fun ship, AA is survivable, accuracy can be swings and roundabouts, fast enough and comfortably manoeuvrable, nice turret traverse, don't give broadside, never regretted buying her :) Now if only she was complimented by the addition of an Italian Unique Commander in the Arsenal or the availability of some 10 point Italian Captains in the Premium Shop...

• Cool 1

[NWP]
Players
1,099 posts
9,906 battles
5 hours ago, Yedwy said:

Oh she pens all right, right through, other then that shes a peach has lower concealment then many cruisers in her mm spread alas you will have to be painfully aware of your ammo choices, turns on a dime and turret traverse is top, comfortable ship, aldough dispersion can troll you sometimes but its not worse then what you ll see from most other bbs, dont play mine that much but i dont regret buying her, oh and she s a looker

All of this.

[PARAZ]
Moderator, Players
1,208 posts
8,494 battles

Roma is a ship I barely play, to me she is not rewarding. She is easy to play if you know what you're doing. I love the maneuverability and speed and the armour is decent. But for me the guns just don't cut it, inaccurate. On top of that the shell velocity is so high and shell is so light that you either over-pen or bounce, unless you got a broadside BB to shoot at she is a pain and even then her sigma lets you down badly. To me, she isn't worth the money. I believe folk would be better off with an Alabama. Yes the Alibabua is inaccurate too, but you'll get more hits and do more damage.

[SM0KE]
Players
5,420 posts
13,341 battles

I can't really comment on how effective Roma is or isn't, as mine lives exclusively in PvE, but the optional 'beer-can' cammo is worth mentioning (I assume you can still get it?) - if you can tolerate the aesthetic, it turns Roma into a monumental silver grinder...

[KAKE]
Players
2,519 posts
5,960 battles
4 minutes ago, Verblonde said:

I can't really comment on how effective Roma is or isn't, as mine lives exclusively in PvE, but the optional 'beer-can' cammo is worth mentioning (I assume you can still get it?) - if you can tolerate the aesthetic, it turns Roma into a monumental silver grinder...

As T8 premium BBs with Kobayashi camos go, I went with the Kii instead. It has the same economic bonuses, but actually looks good.

And with the latest round of buffs her gunnery is essentially identical to the Amagi, which in my not at all humble opinion makes for a very satisfying experience.

• Cool 1

[SERBS]
Alpha Tester, Players, In AlfaTesters
2,385 posts
7,979 battles

She's a beast in right hands. Totally recommend her.