You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
NekoGunner

I’m absolutely terrible at the game, any tips?

38 comments in this topic

[VNGC]
Players
1 post
967 battles

I really enjoy World of Warships, and it’s definitely one of my favorite games I have played.

The only problem is though, I keep playing and playing and I never really get anywhere, I barely land any shots. My current hit ratio is 26% and it’s even lower for my torpedoes (I think around 13% last time I checked). 

I never seem to win the game and often I don’t even survive the first five minutes of a match.

I would love to keep on playing but constantly dying and losing just really puts me in a bad mood and unmotivates me.

So any tips? I would really love to improve.

• Cool 8

Players
628 posts
2,129 battles

Go back to tier 1 (or should I say discover tier 1) and learn to shoot. Tier IV and V where you seem to have materialised are competitive tiers, you should have learned something about shooting, tactics, and the weaknesses and strengths of the various ship types before you got there. Also watch Twitch streams and YouTube videos, especially the ones on how to aim.

[TTTX]
[TTTX]
Players
4,608 posts
8,081 battles

First off: At 230 battles, you are still really really new to the game - so don't expect any miracles from yourself. This game takes time to learn.

As for more concrete advice - very hard to do without more information from yourself... like which ships you like and how you try to play them, and where it seems to go wrong.

Once we've established that, if you're comfortable (and can take a bit of constructive criticism) you can try posting a replay or two and get yourself direct feedback.

• Cool 1

[NIKE]
Beta Tester
3,394 posts
7,276 battles

Best tip would be stick to low tiers (tier 2/3) until you are comfortable reading a battle and landing shots.

Then progress to tier 4 and stick there until you regularly top the scoreboard and can influence the battle.

For not dying: there's no rush. You have 20 mins. You can break off and retreat if it looks like you're going to over extend, or if a situation changes. Slow and calculated gives better results than yolo suicide. Caps might be important, but dying in the first 5 mins doesnt help anybody.

General tips: make your mini map BIG. Look at it lots. If you drive then look at it as regularly as you look in your rear view mirror.

In settings go to ALT view and turn it on. Also turn on last position, names on mini map. Information is the lifeblood of winning as it allows you to make more calculated plays.

Lastly, theres no rush to get up the tiers. Lots of the people playing higher tiers have literally tens of thousands of games played. Master the basics before heading higher and you"ll get on better

• Cool 4

[AMOK]
Players
1,955 posts
8,547 battles

First of all u need the will to improve. Since u are asking u seem to have that :Smile_teethhappy:

My first advice is "give yourself time to evolve" do not rush through the tiers. Being in higher tiers without having learned the basiscs is no fun (neither for u nor the others) in my opinion.

I watched a lot of YT videos in the beginning but there is more than this.

Learn about your ship and shipclasses. Learn to use the minimap to evaluate situations and get an overview and not tunnel through the battle.

Otherwise you have to ask concrete questions cause its difficult to help u not knowing what u know :Smile_Default: It looks like u know something since u made Kawachi work in a way :Smile_teethhappy:

• Cool 1

Beta Tester
1,971 posts
12,852 battles

First off - I don't know why somebody said you "magically appeared at T4 " when it is obvious from your profile that you didn't.

My advice would be initially to grind all Battleships and Cruisers to tier 4. Fully upgrade them and earn enough XP to buy the tier 5 but hold off on buying it at first.

When you have "unlocked" every T5 BB and CA/CL in the game only then should you consider jumping into a T5 ship. The reason is that up to and including tier 4 you will get favourable matchmaking which will mean that, at most, you will only see ships 1 tier higher than your own. When you hit tier 5, however, the MM jumps to +2 so you could face T7 ships. These will (generally) be captained by more experienced players and can potentially outgun you considerably.

While you are in the lower tiers, and still in BBs and cruisers, there are a couple of combat "tricks" that you will need to perfect.

In BBs (and cruisers) there is the art of "not showing your broadside" to the enemy. It will be tempting to try to have all guns on target all the time but this makes you very vulnerable to taking huge damage. Instead, with BBs, get used to keeping your bow towards the enemy and only swinging your stern out enough to use your back guns when it is safe to do so and then immediately straighten up again so the return fire does not do massive damage. Also don't sail in a straight line at constant speed as it makes you very easy to target with torpedoes. Vary your speed and your direction at all times. It should eventually become second nature to do this.

In cruisers (as well as not showing broadside) a key skill to learn is the art of kiting your enemy. First off ensure you have the Priority Target skill as your first captain skill (this is essential for all cruisers in my opinion). Secondly use the "cog" at the top of your minimap to ensure that you have your "detectability by sea" range shown on the minimap. Keep your eye on whether or not you are detected (don't turn if you are) and assuming you are undetected pick a target vessel that is in range of your guns, turn around so you are sailing away from your target and angled such that you can bring most/all of your guns on target and only then open fire. You will get used to aiming with experience but you won't get time to gain experience if you die early. To help your survival watch the incoming shells and attempt to move your stern into a gap between them. Keep your eye on the priority target indicator. If the number of ships aiming at you gets too high don't be afraid to stop firing so that your detection resets to its base range and try to go undetected - move further away from the nearest enemy than your detection range.

Don't get too close to the enemy. You'll get killed.

Don't get too far from the enemy. You'll be useless.

Try to fight around the caps - the map edge is a terrible place to be, if only becasue it effectively halves the amount of the map you can shoot at (no point being able to shoot everything in a circle with a radius of 10km from your ship if half that circle is off the map.)

I would advise against trying DDs at first until you are happy with your performance in the other surface vessels. DD play can be tricky for a new player.

Don't worry too much about your performance. You are new and you are not doing anywhere near as badly as you think.

Have fun.

• Cool 5

Players
2,817 posts

I would suggest playing a BB. Try to keep calm when game starts and don't rush oh and play some co op to learn the ship first. Maybe do some co ops and then play one random to see what translates and what not. Shooting is a matter of instinct to realize where the enemy is heading and how fast, pick the broadside targets first as are easier and work them on co op until you learn the tricks. You will get better with every game you play and slowly see your hits increase, but don't expect perfect results too soon. Learn good spots to park on the maps and hide until you feel more sure of yourself and don't risk exposing the ship to danger too soon, when the teams lose ships the game opens up but this won't translate for every game as it is often an one sided slaughter through no fault of you. To stay alive it's better to put ships between you and the enemy, until you figure out how to use terrain.

Ah and remember some ships (and guns) are way better than others.

[A41]
[A41]
Players
55 posts
7,954 battles

one important thing do not stay tunnel visioned on your target, zoom in and out so you get a view of the battle(shift key), this is very helpful for dodging shells, as you can see them come in and turn to avoid the majority of the strike, I still forget to do this from time to time.

• Cool 1
  • Funny 1

[POP]
Players
598 posts
11,693 battles
1 hour ago, NekoGunner said:

I keep playing and playing and I never really get anywhere

Put the basics right first.

From settings -> controls set

Alternative interface mode - full

In game while showboating around in your BB press and hold ctrl -> hit the gear sign at the right upper most corner of the minimap and check

-Last known position markers

-Range numeric values

-Ship names

Hit a couple of times the "+" button to make the minimap a few times bigger.

That's an instant +5% to winrate

• Cool 8

Players
6,772 posts
245 battles

also make sure to learn the ship your playing. Not so important at lower tiers but becomes more important later as not everyship despite being in the same ship class functions the same way.

low tier cruisers are good for teaching, aiming, support and when to pull back. Bbs for knowing how to tank, when to damage con (very important dont put out single fires unless your close to death or it doesnt matter either way) and also when to push.

dd’s for knowing when to contest, cap, ambush, flank and lurk again not every dd is the same so learn the ship your using.

im only at 1k games so im still pretty new to this game as well but have been playing on and off for awhile. Dont worry too much about your stats early on as they will fluctuate wildly. 

Some lines like the american cruiser lines and most bb lines are easier and/or forgiving to play than others. Avoid britsh cruisers and bb’s they require more skill than usual to be effective and use properly.

also go for the russian bb line when it comes out will teach you heavily on how to brawl, angle and also to push in ships.

have fun and if you need help with cv’s just ask smoll2azer for moar details (he really loves his enterpresentz).

Edit: make sure to kill low hp ships when possible and target dd’s more often than not. A ship with 1hp is still a threat as a full health ship.

Players
3,220 posts
2 hours ago, NekoGunner said:

I really enjoy World of Warships, and it’s definitely one of my favorite games I have played.

The only problem is though, I keep playing and playing and I never really get anywhere, I barely land any shots. My current hit ratio is 26% and it’s even lower for my torpedoes (I think around 13% last time I checked). 

I never seem to win the game and often I don’t even survive the first five minutes of a match.

I would love to keep on playing but constantly dying and losing just really puts me in a bad mood and unmotivates me.

Well if you toon up with me, I will make you look awesome just ask anyone mu y numbers speak volumes, lol

• Funny 1

Players
3,220 posts
1 hour ago, Altsak said:

Put the basics right first.

From settings -> controls set

Alternative interface mode - full

In game while showboating around in your BB press and hold ctrl -> hit the gear sign at the right upper most corner of the minimap and check

-Last known position markers

-Range numeric values

-Ship names

Hit a couple of times the "+" button to make the minimap a few times bigger.

That's an instant +5% to winrate

Wow love the instant winrate thing, off right now to sail something I probably shouldn't, and will put all this to good use 'cough cough, by tonight the road to unicomdom will be shining brightly.

Now I need to take my meds so I can actually believe than and get my trusty secret weapon, the might pen and paper to write it all down, lol

• Funny 1

Players
3,220 posts
2 hours ago, Xevious_Red said:

Best tip would be stick to low tiers (tier 2/3) until you are comfortable reading a battle and landing shots.

Then progress to tier 4 and stick there until you regularly top the scoreboard and can influence the battle.

For not dying: there's no rush. You have 20 mins. You can break off and retreat if it looks like you're going to over extend, or if a situation changes. Slow and calculated gives better results than yolo suicide. Caps might be important, but dying in the first 5 mins doesnt help anybody.

General tips: make your mini map BIG. Look at it lots. If you drive then look at it as regularly as you look in your rear view mirror.

In settings go to ALT view and turn it on. Also turn on last position, names on mini map. Information is the lifeblood of winning as it allows you to make more calculated plays.

Lastly, theres no rush to get up the tiers. Lots of the people playing higher tiers have literally tens of thousands of games played. Master the basics before heading higher and you"ll get on better

More great tips, and to the OP don't do as I do and go rushing up the tiers, thats always my mistake, even though some of the best ship are from tier 7 upwards, just in my ever so humble opinion, listen to what these guys say, and you won't go far wrong.

Players
6,333 posts
10,556 battles

@NekoGunner before you do anything else or even continue reading: you do that, what @Altsak wrote above. Yes, its that important and non-negotiable :Smile_veryhappy:.

Then play a couple of different ships and lines on T4. On T4 a lot of the game mechanics, that will be with your for the entire game, come into effect. At the same time matchmaking is not harsh. Go from there and ask yourself, what kind of gameplay aka class you prefer. Also: Youtube helps a lot. Flamu is a good start, his vids will show you strenghs of ships, what to do, what not to do and also how to skill your captain. You can learn a lot there. You can also post a couple of replays here. Someone sure will have a look at them and help you improve. But you might want to start with Youtube / Flamu, im sure you can get a lot of the basics from there.

Players
617 posts
6,737 battles
2 hours ago, NekoGunner said:

Here are some tips for you.

Pick a ship you like.

ONLY play that ship

Watch videos on that ship

Learn that ship

Master it

Get the WR in that ship above 50%

It does not matter if its add or BB just only play that one ship until you can play it consistently. Then and ONLY then repeat the process with the next ship.

Also do NOT switch classes. Stick to one ship same class.

If you do this you'll learn.

Players
3,220 posts
Just now, ForlornSailor said:

@NekoGunner before you do anything else or even continue reading: you do that, what @Altsak wrote above. Yes, its that important and non-negotiable :Smile_veryhappy:.

Then play a couple of different ships and lines on T4. On T4 a lot of the game mechanics, that will be with your for the entire game, come into effect. At the same time matchmaking is not harsh. Go from there and ask yourself, what kind of gameplay aka class you prefer. Also: Youtube helps a lot. Flamu is a good start, his vids will show you strenghs of ships, what to do, what not to do and also how to skill your captain. You can learn a lot there. You can also post a couple of replays here. Someone sure will have a look at them and help you improve. But you might want to start with Youtube / Flamu, im sure you can get a lot of the basics from there.

How do you rate Ichase gaming and Notser, they too are quite helpful, Youtube is go to for me now when I get a new ship or type, or just how to play any paraticular one.

[BHSFL]
Players
3,405 posts

Play Coop or Operations depending on what you can acces.

Flank the bots ( their turrets are turned on other players ) or have another player between you and them, and hone your aiming skills on them. Fire from smoke when your ship has smoke.  Bots often behave less irratic and prefer to sail in a straight line making it easier to adjust fire on them or practice with torpedo's. When not targetted as their priority ( often nearest ) target bots are forgiving to shoot at and doing it for a few days will give you suberb guessed aiming capability.

You will then have a feel what lead you need to hit certain class of ships at what distance. After the first salvo you can then finetune how much you must adjust. And after much practice first salvo's will hit more often too.

• Cool 1

Players
6,333 posts
10,556 battles
Just now, NoobySkooby said:

How do you rate Ichase gaming and Notser, they too are quite helpful, Youtube is go to for me now when I get a new ship or type, or just how to play any paraticular one.

Basically: everything that works for you and helps you improve is perfect. Twitch works too. Here I suggest strangers123.

• Cool 1

Players
466 posts
9,578 battles
2 hours ago, Azalgor said:

If by improving u mean becoming a passive camper, then i sugest just staying with the herd mght improve your survival rate. Performance-wise, most of the games (and i mean MOST) are overly onesided, where 1 team completely crushes the other in less than 8 min despite your personal performance, so theres actually no tips at this point but a 50/50 chance of you ending on that particular team.

If you wish to remain a sane human beying, find something else, if thats not an option, never spend a cent on this game and play simply for the sake of killing time without expecting anything of the 11 greend dots on your side of the map.

• Cool 1

[-TPF-]
Players
3,827 posts
15,743 battles

To the advice about the interface and minimap, I would add switching to the Dynamic Crosshair sight. Much easier. Just bear in mind that the time to target it gives you is based on a ship which is doing 28-30 knots and adjust accordingly. 

• Cool 1

[THESO]
Beta Tester, Players, In AlfaTesters
3,120 posts
8,955 battles

Like a few others said: The easiest way for us to help you is for you to post a replay of one of your "terrible" battles. You can do that by going to the game folder, replays folder and then upload one of those replays here. We'll review it and give you more specific tips.

[VNGC]
Players
146 posts
3,587 battles

https://wows-numbers.com/player/560945564,NekoGunner/

If you look here you can see some statistics of your battles and ship types, win rate etc.

I am still quite new with 1700+ battles and although I have definitely improved I constantly make bad judgements mid-battle...everyone does.

Dying early means you are being focussed by the enemy early and leaving yourself vulnerable to enemy fire...for example as a DD pushing too hard, and as a BB doing the same and leaving open your broadside to other BB's using armour piercing.

My advice is go and watch Flamu, Flambass, Mighty Jingles and Notser play either on twitch stream or youtube...definitely watch flamu's ship guides on youtube. You need to know about the enemy you face too to understand their weak points...'know thy enemy' as they say. You'll learn lots of neat tricks on gameplay as well.

One of the easy things to do is not have position awareness and end up in a bad position and get focussed down by the enemy. Watch the mini map, do not tunnel vision on one target, it's hard not to but try and slow down and take everything in around you. Do not just chase the kill...like a BB sailing off the edge of the map to Hawaii...chasing them often leaves you way out of position to help your team.

Anyway. If you get stuck or want some company we have a few spots left in our Clan where you can get clan buffs and learn to play in divisions, which helps loads. I notice you have the Kawachi? It's a bad ship but the next few IGN BB's are epic good like the Kongo and Fuso...go youtube them and PM me if you wanna pop into our little clan :)

• Cool 1

Players
628 posts
2,129 battles
3 hours ago, xxNihilanxx said:

First off - I don't know why somebody said you "magically appeared at T4 " when it is obvious from your profile that you didn't.

I think you are trying to paraphrase me, but the OP has played 10 battles at tier 1 in Co-Op, and that's not even two battles per ship, and 35 battles (or less) in Random before settling at tier 4/5. If you don't think that counts as 'magically appeared' (quoting you paraphrasing me) then it can only be alien abduction as to how he got parachuted into tier IV and V without gaining some basic knowledge of the game first. The OP asking the question 'why is he so bad' is probably answered in those simple stats, so I'm unsure what you don't understand?

The OP should understand it himself if only he'd sat back and thought instead of imagining there is a secret formula. It's you glamour boys he wants to emulate, unicums who are playing the high tiers, I don't think 'don't show your broadside' will cut it until he can hit somebody else's broadside first.

[NWP]
Beta Tester, Players
2,160 posts
6,454 battles

@NekoGunner
There are many good suggestions here but... Here is your REAL problem:
image.png.3dfbcf085a9005277c7dccd0fa3ca52f.png

And I mean "problem" as in inexperience. You are way way WAY better than I was at your "age" :D

Keep at it man! Pick a favorite ship of EACH class at tier 4 and have some fun!
A mini-game for you, if you'd like:

Spoiler

Set a goal for yourself to play 100 games in each of those tier 4 ships:

• Battleship
  • Destroyer
  • Cruiser
  • (optional) Carrier

Look here and watch your progress:

https://wows-numbers.com/player/560945564,NekoGunner/

Look for the "Warships" section - it's at the bottom of the page. Have it set like this, to see all your tier 4 ships only:

image.thumb.png.9b671c46a4c95f58a15b056bef6533cf.png

• Cool 2