You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Bear__Necessities

2 types of players

132 comments in this topic

[SCRUB]
Players
8,460 posts
13,036 battles

What I can't wrap my head around is if that dude thinks that tier VIII CVs are pointless to the point where he suicides, why would he play that tier VIII CV in the first place?

That's like saying fire is hot and then he dunks his hand into the campfire and complains he gets burned ...

• Cool 4
  • Funny 2

[BHSFL]
Players
3,370 posts

Just frustration WG can't fill Tier X matches with Tier X CV where they belong. Tier VIII obviously belongs in tier VIII matches, +1 tier could be perhaps acceptable due to the tier gap in CV.

Tier X is just another ball game completely. Tier X AA just swatters squadrons.

Yes you can get some score going whith heavy loss of aircraft, be decently rewarded in XP (not credits ) for damaging +2 tier ships but the gameplay is lamentable. The only thing you could do is kill DD since they have the weakest AA, but the low reward for that was already uninteresting, now they have a stack of nerfs protecting them it is downright too low DPM to even go after them.

• Cool 4
  • Funny 2

Players
3,291 posts
14,054 battles
3 minutes ago, Beastofwar said:

Just frustration WG can't fill Tier X matches with Tier X CV where they belong. Tier VIII obviously belongs in tier VIII matches, +1 tier could be perhaps acceptable due to the tier gap in CV.

Tier X is just another ball game completely. Tier X AA just swatters squadrons.

Yes you can get some score going whith heavy loss of aircraft, be decently rewarded in XP (not credits ) for damaging +2 tier ships but the gameplay is lamentable. The only thing you could do is kill DD since they have the weakest AA, but the low reward for that was already uninteresting, now they have a stack of nerfs protecting them it is downright too low DPM to even go after them.

Can't be that hard, our T8 CV came top...

6 minutes ago, Aotearas said:

What I can't wrap my head around is if that dude thinks that tier VIII CVs are pointless to the point where he suicides, why would he play that tier VIII CV in the first place?

That's like saying fire is hot and then he dunks his hand into the campfire and complains he gets burned ...

I know! That's what I just don't get sometimes. If he just played and waited he would have won them the game?!

• Cool 1

[PARAZ]
Players
2,591 posts
12,787 battles
1 hour ago, Bear_Necessities said:

I know! That's what I just don't get sometimes. If he just played and waited he would have won them the game?!

I'm not exactly sure about lex's plane reserves, but looking at those plane losses, I'd say he was deplaned. So he did play.

Not saying he's right or whatever. Just that all it indicates is skillgap is still here, as has been mentioned by plenty of people.

• Cool 6

[BHSFL]
Players
3,370 posts
6 minutes ago, Bear_Necessities said:

Luck with team quality......if they can scatter the enemy so targets can be attacked when they are alone, kill AA cruisers so CV can strike fast without evasive detours, and pummel the enemies AA modules so they don't have that effective AA anymore...sure then T8 can do something.

But you never know what team you got into.....that is exactly why winrate ( in randoms ) is overrated.

• Cool 3
  • Funny 2

Players
3,291 posts
14,054 battles
Just now, Beastofwar said:

Luck with team quality......if they can scatter the enemy so targets can be attacked when they are alone, kill AA cruisers so CV can strike fast without evasive detours, ans pummel the enemies AA modueles so they don't ave that effective AA anymore...sure then T8 can do something.

So you're going to dismiss our CV's hard earned win due to playing skilfully and smart (I was in the game to see it) as luck... really bigging up your fellow CV players here....

2 minutes ago, Saiyko said:

I'm not exactly sure about lex's plane reserves, but looking at those plane losses, I'd say he was deplaned. So he did play.

Not saying he's right or whatever. Just that all it indicates is skillgap is still here, as has been mentioned by plenty of people.

I get what you're saying. But if he'd then not launched a single squadron until the last 2 mins, his team would have won. He also had enough planes to commit suicide, rather than use them for something team orientated.  

• Cool 1

[AAO]
Players
1,546 posts
20,645 battles
8 minutes ago, Bear_Necessities said:

Same thing ppl said back then with RTS CVs...

• Cool 1

[PARAZ]
Beta Tester
13,769 posts
19,416 battles
3 minutes ago, Bear_Necessities said:

To be fair I believe exp gain when bottom tier in a CV is heavily inflated. Several times I've gone out of a T10 match feeling like I've done :etc_swear: all in my Enterprise and yet managed to grab top spot with 2k+ exp.

(Although that could just stem from my target preferences. :Smile_hiding:)

Not trying to discredit the guy tho, he clearly pulled his weight according to your description.

• Cool 2

Players
3,291 posts
14,054 battles
8 minutes ago, Beastofwar said:

But you never know what team you got into.....that is exactly why winrate ( in randoms ) is overrated.

And no, that's why WR, especially in randoms is a good indicator of player skill. 

• Cool 2

[NIKE]
Beta Tester
3,394 posts
7,276 battles

Unless you want to reclassify the Republique as a DD I'd say tier 8 can do more than hope they can attack a DD

lexington.thumb.jpg.3cd06ec1a58a97b0f9dd03d819b6d6d3.jpg

This was rough game - no DD, pretty much entirely tier X ships with good AA and a team who *ahem* weren't a fan of doing anything useful. The Hakuryu got his kill from being rammed by a Yamato...

Still did 111k and came top.

lex.thumb.jpg.b50be305245ddbb1d531a71e5bc30ad4.jpg

• Cool 2

[BHSFL]
Players
3,370 posts
6 minutes ago, Bear_Necessities said:

So you're going to dismiss our CV's hard earned win due to playing skilfully and smart (I was in the game to see it) as luck... really bigging up your fellow CV players here....

Nope...because when given opportunity, only then can you show/use skill....

Skill is useless without opportunity. And in a +2 match in a CV you really need opportunity.

• Cool 4

Players
3,291 posts
14,054 battles
Just now, El2aZeR said:

To be fair I believe exp gain when bottom tier in a CV is heavily inflated. Several times I've gone out of a T10 match feeling like I've done :etc_swear: all in my Enterprise and yet managed to grab top spot with 2k+ exp.

(Although that could just stem from my target preferences. :Smile_hiding:)

Not trying to discredit the guy tho, he clearly pulled his weight according to your description.

He really did. He played smart and gave great support over the game. But 2.5 base exp even as a T8 in a T10 heavy game is good by anyone's standards. My biggest gripe is really we should have lost if not for that selfish :etc_swear: of a red CV suicideing and swinging it our way late game. 

Players
3,291 posts
14,054 battles
1 minute ago, Beastofwar said:

Skill is useless without opportunity.

chris rock wtf.jpg

[CROTZ]
Beta Tester
1,196 posts
8,163 battles

From a random match, opponent chat.

The opponent's ship is cruising alone, the game has just started and he would have the time to travel to nearby AA ships.

The opponent decides to not travel to nearby AA ships.

> Attacking Yamato / Fire

"Why are you attacking me?"

Reply: "Because you are the Yamato"

"Leave me alone! Go to someone else!!!"

"Why are you only attacking me? BTW Fail"

> 8 seconds before the last approach "I WILL DELETE THE GAME" - As the opponent sees the planes coming.

Attacking Yamato / Fire - Sunk

• Funny 5

[NIKE]
Beta Tester
3,394 posts
7,276 battles
6 minutes ago, Beastofwar said:

Skill is useless without opportunity. And in a +2 match in a CV you really need opportunity.

If by "opportunity" you mean having to try striking a neptune because your team can't work out how to stop being farmed by it, and trying to decap your base from a des moines, hindenburg and montana while the few surviving members of your team sail in the wrong direction, then sure.

112633994_morelex.thumb.jpg.da57e401da8801e670ad85727577b024.jpg

• Cool 2

[PARAZ]
Players
2,591 posts
12,787 battles
1 hour ago, Xevious_Red said:

This was rough game -

61 plane kills by yamato. 40 by republique.

All is fine :Smile_sceptic:

• Funny 1

[NIKE]
Beta Tester
3,394 posts
7,276 battles
3 minutes ago, Saiyko said:

The 40 to the Republique was me. The 61 for the Yamato was our Hak feeding it planes

• Funny 1

[SHAFT]
Players
9,447 posts
8,811 battles
42 minutes ago, Aotearas said:

Probably hoping for the T6 game where he can finaly rule as the super unicum he knows he deepdown is :Smile_sceptic: (and fail miserably, most likely blaming his team in the process)

14 minutes ago, Saiyko said:

So idiots lose planes to any ship? I think you asked, since when do we balance the game around the worst players. :cap_hmm:

Wasnt really possible before, its possible now tho... simply "collect" flak bursts. Or just fly around in the AA. Worst players are worse than pre-rework, many people said it (and the stats agree with it).

You could fly T10 planes into T4 flak bursts and still die at some point, which would be basicly impossible with RTS CVs.

[PARAZ]
Players
2,591 posts
12,787 battles
1 hour ago, DFens_666 said:

I think you asked, since when do we balance the game around the worst players.

No, but I do have a problem that cruisers lost (yet another) niche thing of theirs.

Sure, that tier ten carrier screwed up, but it still doesn't justify how bb AA is that powerful. Which exactly is the reason why even cv players like that go hunting DDs instead.

Better example: I got the hermes two days ago with those special tokens. Played a game with @MortenTardo (yes :P) in it. All was tier 5 except us and another carrier. If I flew near a BB, I lose my planes. Simple as that. No, not eating flak, just from a few seconds in passive AA from things like oktober revolution. Which means I trade off an entire strike group for a few thousand damage.

See also

where fara has the exact same problem.

• Cool 3

[SHAFT]
Players
9,447 posts
8,811 battles
2 minutes ago, Saiyko said:

No, but I do have a problem that cruisers lost (yet another) niche thing of theirs.

Sure, that tier ten carrier screwed up, but it still doesn't justify how bb AA is that powerful. Which exactly is the reason why even cv players like that go hunting DDs instead.

Better example: I got the hermes two days ago with those special tokens. Played a game with @MortenTardo (yes :P) in it. All was tier 5 except us and another carrier. If I flew near a BB, I lose my planes. Simple as that. No, not eating flak, just from a few seconds in passive AA from things like oktober revolution. Which means I trade off an entire strike group for a few thousand damage.

From what ive seen, Okto has INSANE AA, basicly untouchable by T4 CVs. But it was kinda the same with RTS CVs aswell, so nothing changed too much (ive had a couple of Oktos which just shredded my planes).

For other BBs, i cant say. Ive played GK / Musashi, they are pretty helpless against CV planes. Atleast the CV player attacking me didnt lose to many planes in the process. Had CVs also with Massachusetts... that worked a bit better.

The problem is, WG is feeding us half of the information from the new AA mechanics. I know how it works now, but im missing the interval, how often AA is dealing damage. I kinda think Okto has a very fast interval, thats why it hurts so much. Havent found that info yet :fish_book:

• Cool 1

[PARAZ]
Players
2,591 posts
12,787 battles
1 hour ago, DFens_666 said:

For other BBs, i cant say. Ive played GK / Musashi, they are pretty helpless against CV planes.

Against tier eights as well? You probably don't shoot down a lot of tXs yea.

Let me tell you, I feel sorry for people who have to grind at the moment. Sure you can still do nice as the example from @Bear_Necessities shows, but it is extremely heavily luck based. (map and ships mainly) Yesterday I had a midway game, and every team had one tier 8, a lex and an enterprise. Except for one tier nine, everything was tier ten, with triple DM on the enemy team and whatever AA spam we had on our team. They can't do anything except feed their enemies plane kills.

To give another aspect of the hermes btw, I had one game the first day as top tier. I can hang over tier three bbs all day long. Cause reasons.

unknown.png

None of those seven planes the reds (red...) killed are mine - didn't lose a single one. I have no idea what WG was thinking/drinking/smoking, but the AA difference between tiers is just the stupidest thing ever.

I'll play the furious with the tokens, maybe a handful times. After that, I'll just freeXP to tier ten, cause it just isn't worth it.

• Cool 1

[UTW]
Alpha Tester
2,032 posts
9,617 battles

I'm guilty of suiciding twice as a lexington, but by going to cap the point instead of using my planes on me. I committed seppuku several times by my own depleted squadrons too, but these were cases there was just no chance to win anymore. I believe it's what happened to your infamous ennemylexington

Why then? Because when it's the fifth time in a row that you're one of the two tier 8s in your tier X team, you just want to try and be more productive. Doesn't mean I can't perform, I have several 100K damage games in TX Lexington. Yet, for me to get these games is heavily dependant on stupidity and lack of teamplay from the ennemies. It's just that Carriers are the worse ships to be uptiered with at the moment. To get good result in them requires a focus, dedication and planning that is nowhere near what is needed to score in a cruiser or a battleship. You have to be aware of the no go zones... And more often than not, attacking a tier X ship means you'll loose at best half your squadron. It's the only shipclass I ever felt helpless in. 
And so, CVs are the only class in which your ammunition are limited, and limited fast by these sneaky AA cruisers that love to fill up the enemy team's gaps. 
The problem of players losing their will to fight (or just finding unfun to be put against such unfair opposition over and over again) can be solved by a +1/-1 MM for carriers, or by balancing AA more, so that just spotting a minotaur doesn't mean you get 3 planes in yellow before it even appears.

I'd actually find it quite more fair if WG reverted their nerf on the spotting distance on cruisers. I really find stealth AA disgusting.

• Bad 1

Players
6,309 posts
10,531 battles
1 hour ago, Saiyko said:

I have no idea what WG was thinking/drinking/smoking, but the AA difference between tiers is just the stupidest thing ever.

Must be part of the "piss people off so they cash in on free XP to go to TX right away". Its now reaching a level tho, where people are too frustrated obviously - at both ends of the Flak. Had a game aswell right now, where my T8 CV complained about the mm and said he will be useless. I tried to calm him and told him, he should focus on DD spotting and later in the game his time for damage will come. Well. I cant complain, since he did what I asked him to do (lost over 20 planes against the T10 DDs while spotting them for me) but judging from the endscreen - he wont be happy?

Honestly - I think we can stop talking about it. WG aint going to change this cascade-model. Higher tier ships now s*** on lower tiers. Im not going to take out my T6 DDs anymore as a reason of that and in the next thread, where someone asks "which premium ship should I buy" I will absolutly point this out, voiting for buying anything else but a =<T8 premium ship.

26 minutes ago, Okitank said:

The problem of players losing their will to fight (or just finding unfun to be put against such unfair opposition over and over again) can be solved by a +1/-1 MM for carriers

WG stated: +/- 1 mm isnt going to happen.

27 minutes ago, Okitank said:

It's the only shipclass I ever felt helpless in. 

Try a Shinonome in T8 CV match. Or 2x CV match.

25 minutes ago, Okitank said:

I'd actually find it quite more fair if WG reverted their nerf on the spotting distance on cruisers. I really find stealth AA disgusting.

You missed the patch.

• Cool 2

[UTW]
Alpha Tester
2,032 posts
9,617 battles

I'm playing DDs too, but in a Kagero in a tier X match, even if the CV is here, I can still hope my torps will do something. Heck, I don't go to cap in the first minutes and hug close to my friendly AA ships. 
Tho I agree that Shinonome in T8 may feel helpless too, indeed.

And for the patches, I still got stealth swatted by AA speced mino/desmoines even today. (By stealth AA'd I mean that the moment I spot them, I'm in range of their AA. So I have to turn inside of their long range bubble, which unfairly makes me loose planes over what isn't even a placement mistake.)