Jump to content
Flandre Bug Read more... ×
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Bemmel

LOD (level of detail)

36 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

Players
21 posts
1,695 battles

Hi there,

is there any way to increase the LOD of the game ? i mean im playing cv and the islands (mountains, trees and so on) changing nonstop there level of detail when im flying and it really disturb the feeling of it.

The areas arent that big so im not quite sure why i have still this popups or the changing LOD when playing on the maximum settings.

Is there a way to increase it with a config change ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
1,213 posts
4,288 battles

Yes, there is. Unpack and put following file graphics_settings.xml  into the folder ..\res_mods\0.8.1.1\system\data\.

(you need to create the subfolders system and data)

 

If you look into your game-settings, you should have the new option "Max" in your object lod-settings.

 

graphics_settings.zip

  • Cool 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[SCRUB]
Quality Poster
4,848 posts
17,756 battles

Hi all,

 

42 minutes ago, McMurmel said:

Yes, there is. Unpack and put following file graphics_settings.xml  into the folder ..\res_mods\0.8.1.1\system\data\.

(you need to create the subfolders system and data)

 

If you look into your game-settings, you should have the new option "Max" in your object lod-settings.

 

graphics_settings.zip

 

Interesting...

 

What does it do exactly (i.e. what are the changes from current setting)?

 

 

Leo "Apollo11"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
21 posts
1,695 battles

The level of detail is on max, i think that it reduced my popups and island detail changes to a stable state so that it not change when zoom in or out or fly with airplanes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[HALON]
Players
656 posts
10,947 battles
6 minutes ago, Bemmel said:

The level of detail is on max, i think that it reduced my popups and island detail changes to a stable state so that it not change when zoom in or out or fly with airplanes.

 

Any impact on frame rates ? What are your system specs ?

 

Thank you :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
21 posts
1,695 battles

Hmm not really i run stable 120 fps. using i7 ssd and gtx 1080 ti.

 

Only thing that bothers me also is that the hp bars of enemy and ally ships judder when i move the mouse right and left but thats not a problem of the changed grafic setting. I have this problem long ago.

(im not sure if judder is the right word, the bars dont move smoth with the camera)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[THESO]
Players
641 posts
12,736 battles
34 minutes ago, Leo_Apollo11 said:

What does it do exactly (i.e. what are the changes from current setting)?

As I understand this, it will force all visible 3D objects to be rendered with the most accurate models? Or at least with more accurate models.

 

The way 3D engines work is that when the objects are farther away they are rendered with lower quality models, or lower level of detail = LOD. You can't see the difference if the object is far and small enough, or the difference is small enough not to bother you. It eases the workload of the GPU and increases FPS.

 

However, the carrier rework changed how quickly the camera moves. The LOD changes, as they have been tuned in the game, are somewhat too visible. It's the same when you zoom in with the scope of a surface ship, but always present. 

  • Cool 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[HALON]
Players
656 posts
10,947 battles
9 minutes ago, Bemmel said:

Hmm not really i run stable 120 fps. using i7 ssd and gtx 1080 ti.

 

Only thing that bothers me also is that the hp bars of enemy and ally ships judder when i move the mouse right and left but thats not a problem of the changed grafic setting. I have this problem long ago.

(im not sure if judder is the right word, the bars dont move smoth with the camera)

 

Wow my specs and my framerate too. Going to test this later today, thanks !

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
21 posts
1,695 battles

Its not only for the carriers. I noticed the change in the grafics also on my battleships. But with that config change its great now.

Now i just want that the hp bars to be fixed and move smooth with the camera but i have absolute no clue whats the poblem there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
1,213 posts
4,288 battles
Quote

What does it do exactly (i.e. what are the changes from current setting)?

It increases the level of detail from stock 1.0 or "High" to 2.0 called "Maximum".

 

You can open up the xml-file in a text-editor and change the value even more, like 3.0 - if your gfx-card can handle it:

 

    <objectLOD>
        <!-- todo: DOC. -->
    
        <option>
            <value>2.0</value>
            <label>Max</label>
        </option>

 

  • Cool 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[HALON]
Players
656 posts
10,947 battles
2 hours ago, Bemmel said:

McMurmel you know maybe a fix for the hp bars ?

 

Been searching around not for you problem in particular. I'm interested in what else can be done playing with the graphics_settings.xml file. 

 

Found a thread in the north american forum:

 

https://forum.worldofwarships.com/topic/180190-fix-fps-stuttering-loading-times/

 

One sentence in particular says:

 

"The overlays are capped at 30fps."

 

Could that be your problem ? What happens if you cap the framerate at 30 fps ?

 

If'im right your problem would disappear. Not a real solution i know, but it could point us in the right direction.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
1,213 posts
4,288 battles
10 hours ago, Bemmel said:

McMurmel you know maybe a fix for the hp bars ?

The flickering health-bar-bug ist around for over 1.5 years now.

As most of the comunity doesnt even see this bug, we must be somehow "different".

 

And no - no known workaround so far.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
21 posts
1,695 battles

Well i have a eye for things like that :D same with the lod. Most of the people dont care about stuff like that :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[SCRUB]
Quality Poster
4,848 posts
17,756 battles

Hi all,

 

On 3/6/2019 at 11:51 AM, asalonen said:

As I understand this, it will force all visible 3D objects to be rendered with the most accurate models? Or at least with more accurate models.

 

The way 3D engines work is that when the objects are farther away they are rendered with lower quality models, or lower level of detail = LOD. You can't see the difference if the object is far and small enough, or the difference is small enough not to bother you. It eases the workload of the GPU and increases FPS.

 

However, the carrier rework changed how quickly the camera moves. The LOD changes, as they have been tuned in the game, are somewhat too visible. It's the same when you zoom in with the scope of a surface ship, but always present. 

 

On 3/6/2019 at 12:17 PM, McMurmel said:

It increases the level of detail from stock 1.0 or "High" to 2.0 called "Maximum".

 

You can open up the xml-file in a text-editor and change the value even more, like 3.0 - if your gfx-card can handle it:

 


    <objectLOD>
        <!-- todo: DOC. -->
    
        <option>
            <value>2.0</value>
            <label>Max</label>
        </option>

 

 

Thanks guys - much appreciated! :Smile_honoring:

 

BTW, I re-posted this on Aslain's thread and he put it in his MODPack... :Smile_Default:

 

 

Leo "Apollo11"

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
21 posts
1,695 battles
Am 6.3.2019 um 10:37, McMurmel sagte:

Yes, there is. Unpack and put following file graphics_settings.xml  into the folder ..\res_mods\0.8.1.1\system\data\.

(you need to create the subfolders system and data)

 

If you look into your game-settings, you should have the new option "Max" in your object lod-settings.

 

graphics_settings.zip

Since the new update the config not working. What do i need to change that it works again?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
21 posts
1,695 battles

 Reinstalled the game and moved the file into that and its not working, doesnt matter what i do. 

Am 7.4.2019 um 08:20, McMurmel sagte:

you have to move the file from ../resmods/0.8.1.1 to ../resmods/0.8.2.0

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[MERCS]
Players
77 posts
7,549 battles

I've tried this too today just to see what it does, and couldn't notice any difference either. Even went from 2.0 to 5.0, lol

 

Is it supposed to make a big diff?

 

Tnx

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[SCRUB]
Quality Poster
4,848 posts
17,756 battles

Hi all,

 

12 hours ago, Bemmel said:

it should change the LOD of the game, but since the last update its not working

 

Perhaps

 

@McMurmel

 

knows what happened (he posted the original fix)?

 

 

Leo "Apollo11"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[MERCS]
Players
77 posts
7,549 battles

I understand it changes the LOD, don't have to explain that, but how much does it change, does it change a lot so that you can see it easy or only a little bit...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

×