Sign in to follow this  
KimikoHawke

Zao / Atago help please

6 comments in this topic

Players
3 posts
1,959 battles

I play pretty much exclusively IJN ships, mostly the cruiser line.  I know how they play, and I am slightly above average if I had to guess.  My problem is that I feel I don't perform and contribute damage and kills as I should.  I see all the videos from CC's on Youtube of them farming 5 kills and 200K+ damage. Now.. I don;t expect to be near that, however I also see forum posts quoting 50k - 150k damage.  If I hang back at around 14 - 10k range then I either don't have the targets in range or my team has already destroyed a lot of ships.   Also I fire pretty much on cooldown, if I have a target of opportunity, but I seem to have trouble getting the damage numbers, either fires seem to just not happen or the ship gets blatted almost as soon as I start one.  If I push in to try and get more targets to fire on I seem to instantly get spotted by some ship I can't even see (DD/Radar) and before I can even try and turn I have half the enemy fleet targetting me from halfway over the map usually too.  It seems I can't play aggressively and can't hang back between the DD's and BB's in order to get my contribution up.  

Zao isn't as much of a problem but it still happens from time to time.. and Atago when uptiered are some of my worst contribution matches.

Any advice would be appreciated, and yes, I know there is more to do then kill ships, you can cap and defend and spot etc, however you get most rewarded from damage caused.

Players
254 posts
12,923 battles

Hi,

First, sorry for my english, its not my native language; and I will try to contribute (as I am an average player)

Zao is able to do a lot of things, its stealthy with good armor.

At the beginning you follow DD to support them, using you stealth and islands. You have extremly good guns, there're rail guns with blast he.

I often do 6 to 10 shells on one salvo on DD at 10km being able to make 10k to 15k. Its absolutely devastating for a DD.

Zao is able too, to HE spam at long range. That's the easy way I think.

Again, do not forget to use concealment, for exemple at late game (when all DD are down) I often try to stop spam shoot. I mean, it's the time I aim cruisers, I keep stealth, trying to approach them on there side as close as possible (around 10km) then I fire a full AP salvo. that's easily around 15k, then I "kite" "sneak" (sorry, dont know how to translate) spamming HE to finnish him

In case BB aim you, do not broadside, angled you, speed down, your armor can stop AP BB shells (only yamato can overmatch as I know)

and wait to become stealth again. In fact, sometimes its difficult because of DD, but usualy it work fine.

Players
174 posts
Vor 7 Stunden, KimikoHawke sagte:

Zao isn't as much of a problem but it still happens from time to time.. and Atago when uptiered are some of my worst contribution matches.

Uptiered Atago (and T8 gets uptiered a lot theses days) has a problem with

a) its low max range (most T8 cruisers have the same problem) and

b) beeing a juicy citadel target for any T9/T10 battleships and cruiser.

General IJN Cruiser advise from me:

• stay near max range and keep the guns hot unless more than 2 enemys fire at you same time (2 BBs can be dealed with normally). Otherwise stop firing and go stealth. 
  • IJN cruisers are good at dodging shells - so use that WASD hack constantly as long as you are spotted.
    You need an eye on the enemy(s) and initiate a change in direction when you see that he fired.
  • Remember your torps. If a target is coming about towards your direction at about 25kn speed and your torps run 67kn means you can launch them at approx. 13km distance to the enemy. So you still can stay near max range and use them.

[BGNAV]
Players
201 posts
8,541 battles

1. First of all - positioning is key. Plan for good locations for Zao on all maps. I get the best results at open space, mid-to-long range engagements. What those good locations are depends on personal preference and playstyle. To be honest, positioning is something that is learned mainly from experience.

2. Prioritize targets (not unique to the Zao). Always finish low-hp targets (less guns and points for the enemy), shoot at DDs at any chance you get - they are a great danger and you can really put the hurt on them. Shells are fast, accuracy is great and HE damage is... typical IJN nukes :cap_rambo: ...and don't get me started on the fire chance. Another thing about DDs is that the rewards you get are based on percentage of HP damage on enemies. If you hit a 20K HP DD for 10K and then you hit a 100K BB for 10K, you will get 50% reward for the DD and only 10% for the BB. Also the BB can heal and reduce your total rewards (a few DDs can do that as well though).

3. You have great stealth - make use of it. Zao can even stealth-torp if needed. Also if your DDs potato and die, you can go for the flags. If you are low on HP, you can disengage with ease. You can also utilize it to get in good positions and wait for the enemies to target someone else before firing on them. When they focus you - stop firing. Then it's mostly rinse-repeat and you will make the enemy fire really inefficient. They will keep switching targets and get obliterated by you and your team, or focus on one target while everyone else is farming them.

4. You have troll-armor - DON'T count on it. It trolls both sides. Sometimes you will get 5-6 overpens and shatters from a BB on your belt while showing full broadside, but in the same time you can get citadelled to death while angled. The best armor is the one that doesn't get hit at all. That doesn't mean that you should stay at max range and struggle to hit anything - just make sure you are not the main focus of your enemies.

5. Use AP to punish boradsides. Cruisers at mid to long range and BBs up close can really feel the pain if they show flat broadside to you. And they will do that to try disengaging when they think you are torping them or when they have just put out a few fires. The penetration angles are not great, but the accuracy, shell velocity and raw damage makes up for it. Also the shells retain more velocity and penetration over longer ranges than the ones from Hindenburg for example.

Overall, your main focus should be to impact the outcome of the game and not to farm damage. Killing DDs and radar cruisers will net you less total damage, but will almost guarantee the win, compared to burning border-humping BBs. That doesn't mean you should not go for aggressive BB players - they are usually a great threat as well. However, at least in random games such players are rare and far in between. Use torpedoes to kill enemies in smoke and even just for area denial.

Learning is a process and I am sure you will keep getting better with the Zao. It is a great ship and has lots of potential. 

PS: I just checked your stats. For starters I would recommend that you start playing more often ;) Good luck and fair seas!

• Cool 1

Players
174 posts
Am 6.3.2019 um 11:28, almitov sagte:

Overall, your main focus should be to impact the outcome of the game and not to farm damage. Killing DDs and radar cruisers will net you less total damage, but...

killing a DD for 20k damage rewards you the same EXP as sinking a BB with 60k damage or a CA for 40k.
So net damage says nothing.

[BGNAV]
Players
201 posts
8,541 battles
On 3/8/2019 at 10:34 AM, Skurios_Volleys_Fan said:

killing a DD for 20k damage rewards you the same EXP as sinking a BB with 60k damage or a CA for 40k.
So net damage says nothing.

True. I mentioned this in point 2.

Sign in to follow this