Atorpad

What was wrong with old SHARDS map ?!

14 comments in this topic

[ARYA]
Players
596 posts
15,400 battles

Why did they just copy-paste OKINAWA ??? 

SHARDS was a different map . what was wrong ?

• Cool 3
  • Boring 1

Players
5,976 posts
11,267 battles
24 minutes ago, Atorpad said:

Why did they just copy-paste okinawa ??? 

SHARDS was a different map . what was wrong ?

Was wondering the same thing.

Though frankly, this time the changes don't seem to be very profound but I wish they keep the more unique maps as they are and change some of the more boring maps like mountain range instead. Or create new maps :Smile-_tongue:

• Cool 1

Players
6,293 posts
10,521 battles

Nothing was wrong with it. Thats why it had to go. :Smile_veryhappy: At some point, all the maps will be the same and play the same. Its like the Okinawa change - sure, it wasnt the best map but it was diverse and different at the same time. In the early days, I disliked Okinawa. Until you knew, how different ships excel on different positions. Now its like most other maps, which makes the game, well, boring and repetetive :|

• Cool 4
  • Bad 1

[SHAFT]
Players
9,416 posts
8,803 battles

Agree, i dislike the new shards... nothing was wrong with the old one.

• Cool 3

[ADRIA]
[ADRIA]
Players
5,061 posts
8,562 battles

Look at the bright side - it didn’t get the “cut the map 2:1” island chain like nearly all other new / reworked ones do now

• Funny 1

[BOBS3]
Players
1,007 posts
18,471 battles

I think that it was to make the B cap more accessible. It certainly easier to contest and defend.

However the damage done to A & C!

The sight lines are so much more open now with lots less places to hide and far too easy to be blapped by a battleship.

I really do not like this new map.

• Cool 1

Players
5,976 posts
11,267 battles
1 hour ago, Cambera_1 said:

I think that it was to make the B cap more accessible. It certainly easier to contest and defend.

However the damage done to A & C!

The sight lines are so much more open now with lots less places to hide and far too easy to be blapped by a battleship.

I really do not like this new map.

The middle is really funny now, but there was nothing wrong with this map anyway.

I only played this new map twice now or so and one game was in a carrier so I don't really know how A and C were affected.

Imo they could just as well have made this new version a different variant, kinda like there are 2 Norths maps today (one is Northern Lights, which is basically the old version of North).

But why put all the effort into changing maps that are not broken anyway? It was perfectly fine the way it was and to me that includes the middle part.

Players
5,976 posts
11,267 battles
On 3/5/2019 at 8:10 PM, ForlornSailor said:

Nothing was wrong with it. Thats why it had to go. :Smile_veryhappy: At some point, all the maps will be the same and play the same. Its like the Okinawa change - sure, it wasnt the best map but it was diverse and different at the same time. In the early days, I disliked Okinawa. Until you knew, how different ships excel on different positions. Now its like most other maps, which makes the game, well, boring and repetetive :|

Yes, lets just make all maps one long string of unity sausage :Smile_sceptic:

• Cool 1
  • Funny 1

Players
5,976 posts
11,267 battles

So if I look at the maps that were changed and how they were changed, I suppose the next ones on the list will probably include Estuary, Fault Line, Two Brothers and Strait. And maybe Solomon Islands. Those maps are unique and probably have some of their unique stuff removed.

And no, I don't want any of these maps changed in case anyone was wondering.

• Cool 1

Players
853 posts
907 battles

Same two things starting to happen here concerning maps as what happened in WoT.

#1) Whiners are whining about all the maps (even Ocean, lol, where there are no 'island imbalances' at all, lol) &  ...

#2) WoWS Map Developers are listening to the Whiners and taking a hammer to anything that is different (Gee, again, just like what happened in WoT)

Does a Leopard change it's spots?

• Cool 1

Players
5,976 posts
11,267 battles
10 hours ago, antean said:

Same two things starting to happen here concerning maps as what happened in WoT.

#1) Whiners are whining about all the maps (even Ocean, lol, where there are no 'island imbalances' at all, lol) &  ...

#2) WoWS Map Developers are listening to the Whiners and taking a hammer to anything that is different (Gee, again, just like what happened in WoT)

Does a Leopard change it's spots?

I agree with this. This is what happened to WoT and the maps got changed for (amongst other reasons) "filthy campers in bushes" and so the great deforestation began (RIP magical forest, welcome aboard corridor brawler maps).

Camping has such an unnice ring to it, but if it gets removed we get WoT gameplay.

Nowdays the WoT maps are very carefully layed out, every ridge and every roof is meticulously planned (or more often to prevent angles of firing solutions, to block shots from certain directions).

And yes, the whiners got their way in WoT and I sincierely hope WoWS doesn't go the same way.

And especially the people complaining about camping, they are usually people that just want to brawl and see any stagnation (because someone is perhaps unsure of where to go or is overthinking the situation) as somethjing that needs to be adressed by changing the map. Especially CCs like Flambass and Notser seem to really dislike what they call camping or static gameplay or whatever.

Well, if anyone wants to play a brawling wargaming game they should go check WoT out. it's perfect for them and I left because of making all maps basically play the same. It was whining rusher noobs who didn't want smarter players being able to flank them while they rushed across an open field and those whiners got their way in WoT.

A large part of the frustration in WoT stems from not being able to pull off manoeuvers that are natural, like flanking or holding a position (which is often called a dirty camper next to an island).

I hope WoWS doesn't also listen to these crybabies as there already is one WoT. And one WoT is all the WoT we will ever need :Smile_Default:

• Cool 3

Players
77 posts
1,920 battles
14.03.2019 o 14:04, NothingButTheRain napisał:

And especially the people complaining about camping, they are usually people that just want to brawl and see any stagnation (because someone is perhaps unsure of where to go or is overthinking the situation) as somethjing that needs to be adressed by changing the map. Especially CCs like Flambass and Notser seem to really dislike what they call camping or static gameplay or whatever.

Well, if anyone wants to play a brawling wargaming game they should go check WoT out. it's perfect for them and I left because of making all maps basically play the same. It was whining rusher noobs who didn't want smarter players being able to flank them while they rushed across an open field and those whiners got their way in WoT.

I have a few problems with this statement:

- BB that is riding the edge of the map is not trully contributing to the team effort; he is playing slefish, aiming for pointless HE damage and preserving his own health;

- it promotes what I call the yin yang game play, where each team starts to circle the center of the map in a massive line of ships; it's simply borring;

- it does not provide any sort of cover for the pushing DDs, as caps will usually be blocked by islands;

- a camping BB on the edge of the map is half the game useless, as he either dies alone or failes to reengage the enemy once ships on his side die.

Now to clear up a few things. While I agree, camping is a valid choice of a gameplay for some ships, every BB I see is just copy pasting the same strategy. I cannot stress enough, how many times I saw a BB with full hp, being one of the last two or three ships, suddenly realize that he needs to push or team loses. He then proceeds to turn from his crawl along the edge lines to offer a full broadside to the pushing enemy and dies within seconds. Problem with camping is, it offers a braindead gameplay. Yes there are ships, that are perfect at sitting in a place and creating a big "you shall not pass no fun zone" for the enemy. BBs have the highest hp in the game and are usually the only ones with means of recovering it. A camping BB has only two things to worry about, don't hit the edge of the map and pick targets. A pushing BB needs to be aware of the position of enemies, of proper angling, of potential torpedoes, where their turrets are pointing, needs to plan ahead his path and what to do so his turrets point the right way. That is why, in my opinion camping is so popular. 

As for the map changes, community outcry perhaps? I like the new design of the map. Is it better or worse? Hard to tell, depending what type of ships you are playing and your overall playstyle.

Edited by Lea_Flamma
More points!

Players
5,976 posts
11,267 battles
5 hours ago, Lea_Flamma said:

I have a few problems with this statement:

- BB that is riding the edge of the map is not trully contributing to the team effort; he is playing slefish, aiming for pointless HE damage and preserving his own health;

- it promotes what I call the yin yang game play, where each team starts to circle the center of the map in a massive line of ships; it's simply borring;

- it does not provide any sort of cover for the pushing DDs, as caps will usually be blocked by islands;

- a camping BB on the edge of the map is half the game useless, as he either dies alone or failes to reengage the enemy once ships on his side die.

Now to clear up a few things. While I agree, camping is a valid choice of a gameplay for some ships, every BB I see is just copy pasting the same strategy. I cannot stress enough, how many times I saw a BB with full hp, being one of the last two or three ships, suddenly realize that he needs to push or team loses. He then proceeds to turn from his crawl along the edge lines to offer a full broadside to the pushing enemy and dies within seconds. Problem with camping is, it offers a braindead gameplay. Yes there are ships, that are perfect at sitting in a place and creating a big "you shall not pass no fun zone" for the enemy. BBs have the highest hp in the game and are usually the only ones with means of recovering it. A camping BB has only two things to worry about, don't hit the edge of the map and pick targets. A pushing BB needs to be aware of the position of enemies, of proper angling, of potential torpedoes, where their turrets are pointing, needs to plan ahead his path and what to do so his turrets point the right way. That is why, in my opinion camping is so popular. 

As for the map changes, community outcry perhaps? I like the new design of the map. Is it better or worse? Hard to tell, depending what type of ships you are playing and your overall playstyle.

Riding the edge of the map =/ camping.

Playing selfish does not manifest into only the type of gameplay as you described in only this class of ship and playing swelfish is not what I am advocating as such in my post. In fact, you are missing the point entirely with this statement. It is of your manufacture and not mine.

Could you please elaborate on this yin yang gameplay? What you are describing is again not something that I typically see or typically was referring to in my post. Your post is starting to sound more like a cop-out or something at this point.

Frankly, I don't even know what you mean with "it does not provide any sort of cover for the pushing DDs, as caps will usually be blocked by islands". Now don't get me wrong, I know what this line of text means. But I have no idea how it is supposed to connect with the rest of my post or yours. Frankly, you lost me now.

Same with this: "every BB I see is just copy pasting the same strategy."

I'm finding it hard to even believe you.

I also don't really get with BB players not timing a push at the right time. Lemme go check your stats quick.

Spoiler

Warships stats by type

Cruiser 125 49.6% 1 427 0.84 35 728 4.02 5
Furutaka 108 929
Myoko 54
Atlanta Destroyer 175 58.29% 1 388 0.79 27 317 0.37 5
Akatsuki 127 875
Akatsuki 11
Akatsuki Battleship 1 0% 1 320 3 37 409 0 3
Orion 37 409
Orion

Well there we go. You got a whopping 1 (ONE!) random battle in a BB. In total. And you're a DD main.

Well, don't blame me for not jumping onto your bandwagon, but you're too prejudice to make up an opinion that is, in my eyes, objective enough to be seen as solid enough reasoning why my post should basically be fundamentally wrong. You barely even know the game. But at least I tried to take you seriously. Alas.

I'm rescinding my question about this yin yang gameplay. I'm not interested enough anymore in your opinion on the matter. You're too prejudice and simply not experienced enough. And you're too quick to blame causes on something that you basically cannot validly accuse, yet you do.

Players
77 posts
1,920 battles
11 godzin temu, NothingButTheRain napisał:

Riding the edge of the map =/ camping.

(...)lots of text(...)

I don't feel, like I deserved that type of reply. I attempted to make my view of the BB gameplay known, without sounding like a whining child, which I am not. But to clarify my point of view and make it more understandable. I appologize if it wasn't, as I have a habit of babbling and just making a post an utter mess.

What I understand under camping, is a bunch of BBs sitting back, usually not even moving from the spawn point area most of the game and just lobbing shells across the map, hitting maybe one every salvo, if even. Only deciding to move into the map when they realize, they are the last ships remaining.

I am not sure what you mean by camping, I assume taking positions behind islands and using those for defence?

The "yin yang" I mentioned is a simple concept. 99% of my games look the same. Each team will pick a side, East for the South spawn and West for the North spawn and form a massive line of ships circling the center of the map and trying to snipe from afar. DDs are left alone to fight over caps. Then once DDs are dead, the Cruisers go in, then once most Cruisers are dead, BBs finally decide to do some mapgaining push in the last few minutes of the match. The whole double line of ships circling around the center just reminds me of the "yin yang" symbol with the random DDs somewhere in the middle.

The fact you don't see me playing BBs in Random battles is simple, I am still learning the class and the awarness it requires for proper play. Each ship type has its quirks and while I learned to play T-DDs, CLs and CAs more or less, BBs are still something I am training in. So please do understand my refusal to put an underperforming BB into a Random battle.

What I meant by lack of support in caps is simple. A DD pushing into a cap needs to have Cruisers and Battleships behind itself to feel safe, especially the Torpedoboats. And usually the friendlies start their circle train and offer zero support. This usually ends up in a massive DD slaughterfest in the first few minutes and the team with some left will usually win thanks to the superior spotting. Or the DD refuses to cap alone, afraid of radar and will give up early cap controll.

I like the new "Shards" although I dislike the way people play it. No one is willing to push into the caps most of the time.

PS.

I do not wish to create an angry discussion. I voiced my opinion as a player that is only just starting to learn the game. My top tier ship is a Tier VIII Kagero, which I haven't played much. I see habits in people's gameplay and voice my concerns. Do I wish to belittle or attack someone? No, I do not. But facts remain, that when I play Atlanta and tell my DD to push and not worry as I am behind with DAA and Radar ready, he is genuinely surprised. This game is based on cooperation between the various classes of ships. A DD cannot do much, if the CV has him permaspotted. But add a CL with AA bubble covering him and we are talking. A CL on the other hand will struggle to deal with a BB, but the DD can easily assist with torpedoes. Or a CA with their CA salvos, thanks to the DD spotting. I simply dislike the lack of understanding BB players have to players of other classes.

PS2.

To clarify once more, I am generalizing in my post above. I am certain there are players who don't do what I described.

PS3.

Not to hijack the discussion from the OP, lets agree to disagree. I like the new "Shards" map. Changes were made because developers received feedback or simply decided it needs to change. Do I believe the game needs more unique maps? Yeah sure. But in the end we are vessels and most of us needs islands to hide behind to be of any use. The variety is quite limited with such requirements.