Server restart - 20/06/2019 Read more... ×
Myohmy

How do you aim attacks with planes?

14 comments in this topic

Question

Players
19 posts
312 battles

Ok, I’ve just acquired a Japanese carrier. Two questions on planes - 1. How do I steer the things? Using the keys causes wild swinging and the mouse, though more forgiving, doesn’t see too accurate. 2. How do I aim to attack? I get assorted target things on the sea, but it’s not easy lining these up with ships, as they always seem to be under the planes or, at best, a little ahead. Two games so far and haven’t hit a single thing with rockets, torpedoes or bombs! 

Question 3. What’s the auto with a plane in it?

Question 4. Am I meant to be using the pretty picture screen or some sort of map screen?

In all replies, assume I’m an idiot and set the level of the reply to fit!

I’ve looked at everything I can find in a Google search, but haven’t found anything useful on carriers and planes

13 answers to this question

[KURLA]
Players
884 posts
17,427 battles

1) Use the keyboard for coarse course changes and the mouse for finer corrections.You'll get a feeling for how much to move it for a given turn relatively quickly.

2) Except for DBs you should start the attack before the reticule you have in "travel mode" has reached your target, giving you and your planes more time to aim the attack.

For Rocket planes make sure to take the speed of your target into account, for DDs at full speed it's usually good to release shortly after they have entered the reticule, for cruisers and larger aim for the forward half.

For TBs aim the spread in front of your target, remember your torps are (much) slower than ship-launched ones.

For DBs get in front or behind your target and start the attack approximately-

when the reticule has reached (or is a bit in front for a full-speed DD/fast cruiser) target if it's sailing away from you

when it's a bit (depends on your targets speed) in front of the target in case it's sailing towards you. In this case it's better to err on the side of starting slightly too soon and drop at the last second.

3) Please clarify/restate the question.

4) You only use the map-screen to give orders to your carrier itself while steering your planes. You can't use the minimap for this.

As with all ship-classes pay attention to the minimap regardless as it tells you a lot about the flow of the battle.

• Cool 1

Players
19 posts
312 battles

Can't find a reply button for each answer, so...

Klopirat - these links look as if they may be more use than others I've found (presumably old ones that don't apply now - you can only use 1 squadron at a time?). Still struggling to understand these "reticules" - see below

Rnat - think 1 will be OK eventually, but haven't yet managed to slow the planes down (my reflexes aren't as good as they used to be!)

2. This reticule thing - that is the white squashed target-looking thing? Is it this I'm aiming with? Then I press the mouse button and it goes orange? Then green, but usually not on the target in my case and I don't seem to be able to get it to the target!! So I bomb/rocket the sea somewhere near the ship

3 For this, I'll need to do a screen shot next time I play. I know there are 2 icons saying Auto - one is a repair icon and the other has a reticule? + plane in it and the number 4 if I remember right

[KURLA]
Players
884 posts
17,427 battles

1) Note that you can't slow your planes down if you're out of Boost, speeding up and slowing down both requires it.

2) Yes, the white thingies that float on the water (examples for the different types in the spoiler) is what you use to aim.

White = "travel mode" note that this shows you where your aim will be when your reticule turns green during the attack, i.e. the starting point of the actual attack after your planes finish the setup.

Remember that your enemy is likely to move until you reach that point.

Orange = "setup phase", your planes are getting into position to attack, you can maneuver albeit less than before but not attack. Note the timer counting down until your planes are ready.

Green = "attack phase", as long as your reticule remains green you're free to drop the payload at any time, this has a countdown as well.

The more you retain a straight course during the setup and attack the tighter your aim will be.

(the names in " " are made up by me, not an agreed upon or widely used in any way)

Spoiler

Rocket planes:

shot-19_03.04_19_25.39-0385.thumb.jpg.d3855529e94b57c5e6679bdeb787f3a2.jpg

DBs:

shot-19_03.04_19_28.38-0354.thumb.jpg.c3726523abef4008825ef95b7b42c441.jpg

TBs:

shot-19_03.04_19_36.14-0954.thumb.jpg.670b060fba67c72e40ec6c0e63c8fb3e.jpg

May i suggest setting up a training room against some unarmed bots and training how to get those hits against the toasters ?

Don't worry about loosing planes, as long as the bots are not armed their AA and secondaries will be disabled as well.

3) I guess you're referring to your carriers consumables (c.f. spoiler, maked in red). These are activated automatically so you can focus on other things.

If not feel free to send a screenshot of what you mean.

Spoiler

shot-19_03.04_19_26.55-0900.thumb.jpg.4eca6e294c2af1285a0885c4c7b98520.jpg

The Plane with the reticule is the symbol for fighters in this game, if either calls down (CV planes from t6 on have this consumable) or launches fighters from your ship (many CAs, CLs, most BBs at or above T7 have this at least as an option and all CVs get the automatic fighters), that will patrol the area where they were called down (plane-consumable only) or the ship from which they were launched for one minute (much longer for CVs). Like this little guy stationed on a BB:

shot-19_03.04_20_00.22-0722.jpg.59abd326354d0d14d40fe148649385f7.jpg

Don't get caught by those, each fighter can shoot down 1 attack plane and they come in groups of 3-7.

They take a few seconds to notice you when you enter their area so you have a window and you can outrun them if you have enough boost left and fly straight at full speed for a while.

Last thing: You can't directly reply to any one post in this forum, you can only quote or mention ppl using @*insert name* if you want to be sure they can see you have replied.

• Cool 1

Players
19 posts
312 battles

Thanks Rnat,  you're helping a lot (bit by bit).

I'll content myself with one question (turns out it's 3)  for now - how do i set up this training room?

Sounds like the reticule with a fighter - I thought the Hosho didn't have any?

What does "ppl using @*insert name* mean?

Question 4. I've got an icon with what looks like a propeller and an R (shown on one of your screen shots) - it doesn't seem to do anything?

[KURLA]
Players
884 posts
17,427 battles

A trilogy in 5 parts ^^

1) Relatively easy, you switch it in a similar way to switching between random battles and co-op.

Spoiler

Click here first.

shot-19_03.04_23_02_02-0444.thumb.jpg.3fee1607634dede2da8b7061d1cb608e.jpg

Then select Training battles.

shot-19_03.04_23_02.05-0394.thumb.jpg.1c830fb660a55243f25d901686c5026e.jpg

A scroll-able list of open training room will appear. You can join one if you want or in most cases create your own (highlighted button)

shot-19_03.04_23_18.05-0995.thumb.jpg.767425de3b554c350bf5de268e81dfc6.jpg

Set the paramenters of your training room (map, game mode, max duration, max. nr of ships ect. and click Create

shot-19_03.04_23_18.24-0202.thumb.jpg.484c93b4f0950e30acbf74aaf7e7bcc2.jpg

Add Friends or Bots to the training room.

Click "Add Player", invite a friend or switch to BOT in the tab above, click the ship icon and select which ships you want to fight/have on your team.

Then just click add. The game remembers your choice so you can easily add several instances of the same ship.

Make sure to check/uncheck the moving/armed boxes before adding each bot, depending on the scenario you want. (armed refers to any and all armaments, including AA)

shot-19_03.04_23_23.41-0657.thumb.jpg.a3f19d5cd69a8873db0a3b6240384cd4.jpg

Then just pick your own ship from the list below (cut off to save space), set the slider on the bottom of your team to "READY" and click "Battle!"

Quick word of warning: After quitting a training battle the mode switches to CO-OP by default. So make sure to switch back to randoms afterwards if you don't want that.

2) Every CV gets ship-borne fighter squads to defend the ship while the planes are off somewhere attacking something. It's kind of their last line of defense (in conjunction with the ship-aa)

What T4 CVs don't is the fighter consumable on their squads themselves. i.e. the ability to manually call in a bunch of fighters to the current location of you strike-plane squad.

Here's what that looks like:

Spoiler

shot-19_03.04_23_35.23-0298.thumb.jpg.c6a9d4fa0f1b7d174d1ef6c845d62b7d.jpgshot-19_03.04_23_35.27-0248.thumb.jpg.157832e1f58e4e781df5a4b82615a4df.jpgshot-19_03.04_23_35.49-0766.thumb.jpg.5ab431c5f7749141793d08528ebb4921.jpg

3) @Myohmy  this is what i meant by that. Usually used to notify someone relevant to the discussion if he isn't participating yet.

If you want someone to notice you've answered him quoting is the more practiced option.

4) It's a consumable that completely restores your engine boost (the bar the right of your speed that gets depleted when you accelerate/slow down)

If your Boost reserves are full the bar is not shown and there's no noticeable effect.

Just try holding W for a while, see the bar deplete and then pop the consumable.

The R btw just tells you which button triggers the consumable in that slot. Same with Dmg-Con that's usually in that position.

• Cool 1

Players
19 posts
312 battles

Hi Rnat @rnat,

My, you're good!

Training - I don't have thsi on my screen, only Coop, Random, Operationa dn Ranked

screen.jpg

[GURKA]
[GURKA]
Players
2,884 posts
7,112 battles
7 minutes ago, Myohmy said:

Hi Rnat @rnat,

My, you're good!

Training - I don't have thsi on my screen, only Coop, Random, Operationa dn Ranked

screen.jpg

Maybe your Account level is to low yet, so just do some co-ops or random battles and increase your level.

You need a lot experience in this game to get better, so don't be bothered by bad results, if it doesn't work well at the beginning

• Cool 1

[KURLA]
Players
884 posts
17,427 battles
23 hours ago, Myohmy said:

Hi Rnat ,

My, you're good!

No i'm not. Thought that was obvious ^^

Tbh i kind of suspected the account level when you asked how to switch (since it's not that hard to find)

but the training room never appeared in the level descriptions and it's not listed in an obvious way in the wiki, so i assumed it would not play a role.

Edit: it was in a relatively obvious location if I hadn't only skimmed the account-levels section :fish_palm:

As Pikkozoikum mentioned play some more battles, the training room will unlock at level 15. (Thx to @Rusty_9 for finding that piece of information)

Players
19 posts
312 battles

Thanks, Rusty_9. Once I manage to get back on to the site, I'll check y level - I think I had a promotion recently

In the meantime, I'll keep on trying to hit things, so far without success. It's very frustrating working it out, even after rnat's help

• Cool 1

Players
19 posts
312 battles

@rnat Hi Again. OK - rockets are easy. Torpedoes, I'm getting there , but not clear exactly where to put the aiming triangle and how close to get. Dive bombers are a nightmare - I line up the white target and press attack and lose the target circle almost off the bottom of the screen and even further off when it goes to green, so I can't actually see the ship when I need to click. Help?

Steerign with the mouse seems to have improved with updates

[KURLA]
Players
884 posts
17,427 battles
2 hours ago, Myohmy said:

Torpedoes, I'm getting there , but not clear exactly where to put the aiming triangle and how close to get.

Ideally (coming from the side) you want the aiming triangle in front of your target (w.r.t its course) (or behind if he's reversing) when the attacks is started, the amount depending on his speed.

That way you won't have to move you planes as much during the target run to get the right lead. It comes with experience, as you probably noticed.

For the distance feel free to start from a bit further out to give your planes more time to aim.

Release when the end of the orange sector (torps in the water but still need to arm) is just off your targets side (adjust depending on weather the target is turning into or out from your attack)

Just be aware that your maneuverability during a target run is greatly reduced, so you want to start from a good position and make sure your target won't turn too much during your attack.

For example if your target is aware and already shows signs of turning away (or into you) don't attack straight away and try to get on his flank (or rather where his flank is likely to be when your run commences).

This only really works on BBs, the higher tier the better since low tier BBs and cruisers are usually able to bring their rudder around in time to thwart that attempt.

If that gives you problems you can try the RN-CV line. Their torpedo spread tightens so quickly that you can pretty reliably start the drop at sub 3km and still get the tightest possible dispersion.

2 hours ago, Myohmy said:

Dive bombers are a nightmare - I line up the white target and press attack and lose the target circle almost off the bottom of the screen and even further off when it goes to green, so I can't actually see the ship when I need to click.

Your problems might be caused by you releasing your bombs way too early.

The target you see before you start the run is i think where your circle will be when it reaches its smallest size* (i.e. most accurate), assuming you don't maneuver (too much) during the drop.

That point is not during the climb (which is what you are describing here) but later during the dive.

In the game the DBs travel at an altitude that would not allow for a long dive (=> more time to aim for you or the target to react**) if they started from that height, so when you initiate the attack they will first climb sharply and then start the dive.

The game allows you to drop your bombs during the climbing phase but at the cost of accuracy. (also it has the sub-optimal camera-angle to make it more cinematic i guess)

I suggest you wait until your planes actually start the actual dive-portion of the attack, at which point you will be able to see the target and reticle clearly,

while also benefiting from the better dispersion and being able to use the forward-movement during the dive to adjust your aim if you underestimated the required lead.

*Sorry, i might have been wrong about this in my earlier answer. was rather sure of it at that point but didn't really pay attention to it with DBs at that point.

Admittedly i myself am still very much learning in the new CV-system. I know most of the mechanics and I'm decent but not an authority by any means.

**Still not enough for the target to do anything meaningful but hey it's something ^^

• Cool 1