You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
SirAmra

HE BBs. WG best move so far.

58 comments in this topic

Players
2,589 posts
20 minutes ago, MRGTB said:

Sounds like you can't stand HE spammers in ships that are good for doing it with like Nelson, due the high fire chance it has. Well that's tough luck really, ships have two different ammo types for a reason. Some ships have very good AP pen (like American and some JAP BB). While others are less good with AP, but good with HE instead like the British BB.

So what "principle" do you have then? If you're in a BB known to have poor AP shell pen. Are you still going to use it all the time out principle? :cap_popcorn:

I was being facetious :Smile_teethhappy: I used HE on Orion if im not mistaken and on some English ships. What you say is true but since I mostly roam wit german and ijn lines AP is my go to (95% of the time). You also identified my deep hatred (which is well established) for anything HE since they always set my yammy on fire, which I really do not like at all :Smile_izmena:

[LAFIE]
Beta Tester
4,256 posts
4,972 battles

I'm not sure if I should laugh or cry when I see a Nelslol firing he, despite having done so myself from time to time.

These RN 406mm guns are devastating at that tier,  and no matter what you may think, the best way to get the most out of them is to shoot AP not HE.

• Cool 3

Players
2,589 posts
4 minutes ago, lafeel said:

I'm not sure if I should laugh or cry when I see a Nelslol firing he, despite having done so myself from time to time.

These RN 406mm guns are devastating at that tier,  and no matter what you may think, the best way to get the most out of them is to shoot AP not HE.

IF Nelson has good AP I may give it a go and buy it as it reminds me of Izumo (which I hated when I grinded) but i ended up having some fun with :)

[LAFIE]
Beta Tester
4,256 posts
4,972 battles
2 minutes ago, lossi_2018 said:

IF Nelson has good AP I may give it a go and buy it as it reminds me of Izumo (which I hated when I grinded) but i ended up having some fun with :)

Very good AP indeed from what I have found in my, albeit somewhat limited (5 games) personal expirience of her. Have seen more games on stream(s) of her which only seems to confirm this however.

• Cool 1

Players
2,589 posts
3 minutes ago, lafeel said:

Very good AP indeed from what I have found in my, albeit somewhat limited (5 games) personal expirience of her. Have seen more games on stream(s) of her which only seems to confirm this however.

I remember using AP on the Queen and she performed rather well, Nelson seem like a versatile ship, since it has the standard high fire chance of the British and as u say good AP. I will give it a try thanx :)

[LAFIE]
Beta Tester
4,256 posts
4,972 battles
1 minute ago, lossi_2018 said:

I remember using AP on the Queen and she performed rather well, Nelson seem like a versatile ship, since it has the standard high fire chance of the British and as u say good AP. I will give it a try thanx :)

I didn't enjoy the Lizzie one bit, the combination of slow speed and glacial turret traverse killed her for me, I am sorry to say (getting, mercifully, better along with the KGV)

But best of luck with that :D

[NWP]
Players
1,191 posts
9,073 battles

I fire only torpedoes 

OOPS wait, you are talking BBs not DDs

Uhmmm sorry your letters are two doors down the corridor LOL

• Funny 1

Players
9,391 posts
11,003 battles
3 hours ago, lossi_2018 said:

Only brit BB where I've found AP lacking was KGV class and maybe Monarch, though latter suffered more from abysmal accuracy. But when you get to 400mm+ caliber, AP is more than viable, with 419mm Lion/Conq being comparable to US 406mm while having lol HE for stubborn targets

Players
32 posts
3,745 battles

Why would you shoot HE with Yamato/Musashi? You have high chances to strike the citadel from any angle :)

• Cool 1

[DUXTR]
Alpha Tester
925 posts
12 hours ago, MRGTB said:

It would be a bad Nelson player indeed that doesn't shoot mainly HE with the huge fire chance it has, plus with the AP not being that good on longer distance shots and only really useful from mid or close range on other BB's.

So I wouldn't expect anything different really from a Nelson player, the ships main strength is its ability to start fires often and burn enemy ships to bits from long distance

So sitting in the rear, spamming HE is a sound tactic? The tactic that prevents Your cruisers from move up cause they get no support?

B-line sniping for the win. I had so many of u this weekend it started to get………(insert Word)

And lets forget u have large enough Caliber guns to overmatch anything from Your own tier and Down. Heck, u can even overmatch ships at higher tiers.....Yeah. Thank u for proving my point.

• Funny 1

Players
2,997 posts
7 hours ago, lossi_2018 said:

Versatile it is not, whenever i take her in randoms, I always get left behind the pack, or worse still the other turn and run leaving me on my own, as i understand it that is not where you want to be in any BB let alone the Nelson.

However for the nadia weekly mission thing, she is perfect, and OI prefer the AP,as for me this HE thing don't seem to be that effective.

[THESO]
[THESO]
3,379 posts
9,475 battles

I can understand any BB firing HE from time to time,

When a montana or a yamato or any other BB, bow tanking you..

Firing AP from FDG, IOWA, Montana may not be usefull, even worse If the enemy ship has saturated super structure.

But I've seen Yamatos and Musashis firing HE...
which I really cannot understand... not at all...

[NWP]
Players
1,099 posts
9,774 battles
13 hours ago, MRGTB said:

It would be a bad Nelson player indeed that doesn't shoot mainly HE with the huge fire chance it has, plus with the AP not being that good on longer distance shots and only really useful from mid or close range on other BB's.

So I wouldn't expect anything different really from a Nelson player, the ships main strength is its ability to start fires often and burn enemy ships to bits from long distance

Once again, with metronomic regularity, you are wrong.

Nelson is an AP beast, and doesn't even have the improved HE of the silver line :Smile_facepalm:

Players
2,589 posts
59 minutes ago, NoobySkooby said:

Versatile it is not, whenever i take her in randoms, I always get left behind the pack, or worse still the other turn and run leaving me on my own, as i understand it that is not where you want to be in any BB let alone the Nelson.

However for the nadia weekly mission thing, she is perfect, and OI prefer the AP,as for me this HE thing don't seem to be that effective.

havent played with the ship so I cant argue here but I've seen it tons so it must have some qualities haha, plus its 'easy' to obtain relatively :)

Players
2,589 posts
12 minutes ago, Mr_Tayto said:

Once again, with metronomic regularity, you are wrong.

Nelson is an AP beast, and doesn't even have the improved HE of the silver line :Smile_facepalm:

how much fire chance has the Nelson? just curious

Players
2,589 posts
3 hours ago, rq3dm4 said:

Why would you shoot HE with Yamato/Musashi? You have high chances to strike the citadel from any angle :)

I find games at that tier melting away too fast to even consider switching amo haha :) Which you shouldnt :cap_cool:

• Cool 1

Players
8,756 posts
2 minutes ago, lossi_2018 said:

46%

13 minutes ago, Mr_Tayto said:

and doesn't even have the improved HE of the silver line 

I think you are thinking about Warspite :Smile-_tongue:

Nelson has thermonuclear HE aswell :cap_haloween:

• Cool 2

Players
5,976 posts
10,957 battles
4 hours ago, rq3dm4 said:

4 hours ago, Rusty_9 said:

DD's :Smile_hiding:

This

• Cool 2

[NWP]
Players
1,099 posts
9,774 battles
52 minutes ago, DFens_666 said:

46%

I wouldn't know, I don't think I've ever loaded it in my T7, 406mm gun armed BB :Smile_trollface:

[HOO]
Players
2,191 posts
14 hours ago, MRGTB said:

Sorry, that's simply not my experience, Nelson AP is superbly effective so swapping ammo at the right times is the right thing to do. The HE is good, but fire damage can be fully repaired and I only fire it about 25% of the time, vs cruisers the AP will overmatch most you will meet and vs BB's it can be devastating unless angled right which is when HE is the better option.

Learn to aim and learn your targets it's better to use the right ammo for the situation rather than stay wedded to a single type.

As to many BB players sticking to HE it's mostly the case of sheer laziness or at the best trying to pad their damage stats with no regard to helping to win the game.

• Cool 1

[BHSFL]
[BHSFL]
Players
2,309 posts
1 hour ago, Excavatus said:

But I've seen Yamatos and Musashis firing HE...

which I really cannot understand... not at all...

Well i do...in ranked i saw multiple type BB bow tank my Mushashi 's incoming AP at maximum-ish range.....the few shells that hit due to dispersion did mainly no damage.

When i see that i'm not going to get an armour table or shell penetration table and do maths over if that is right......i just load up HE's, hopefully molsest modules and see if it catches fire. Then go back to AP when we get into closer range.

A friend of mine concluded that is in not very usefull to fire AP at ranges over 10 km. In my experience that range is flexible but he is not fully wrong i think. Maybe that negates the effect plunging fire can have ( bow tanking having little effect ) but it seems to match what i see happen in game.

• Cool 1

Players
2,589 posts
2 hours ago, DFens_666 said:

46%

thats a very stonk HE chance, it would be useful in certain cases depending on map and opponent.

Players
1,014 posts
3 hours ago, lossi_2018 said:

You don't have the Nelson to play, nor do you even know what the fire chance is with HE used on the ship. And you're trying to argue you should shoot AP with it all the time. Laughs... :Smile_sceptic:

If you don't have the ship, then you can't make any comments about using it. Because you have zero experience using the ship. Move along and go argue about some other ship that you do have. I have over 500 games in the Nelson and it sits in my port. If you think shooting AP at any range, and at any ship is the answer to playing the Nelson because it has big guns. I pity you then, should you ever end up with it.

• Bad 1

Players
2,589 posts
49 minutes ago, MRGTB said:

You don't have the Nelson to play, nor do you even know what the fire chance is with HE used on the ship. And you're trying to argue you should shoot AP with it all the time. Laughs... :Smile_sceptic:

If you don't have the ship, then you can't make any comments about using it. Because you have zero experience using the ship. Move along and go argue about some other ship that you do have. I have over 500 games in the Nelson and it sits in my port. If you think shooting AP at any range, and at any ship is the answer to playing the Nelson because it has big guns. I pity you then, should you ever end up with it.

Dude, wuts the matter wit you? Did you read my comments? Are you looking for an argument with no reason? I asked and then offered my thoughts in very clear manner I believe. If you've confused me with someone else, I urge you to talk a little more polite to people. It your prerogative ofc to do what you want but I reject the whole of your argument as irrelevant and toxic. In case you missed what I said, I believe it to be a versatile ship (in the manner of ammo) since it combines fantastic HE chance and good guns as people with knowledge of the ship have offered. That is all