Server restart - 20/06/2019 Read more... ×
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
SirAmra

HE BBs. WG best move so far.

58 comments in this topic

[DUXTR]
Alpha Tester
734 posts

Atm I hardly see any BB for that matter firing AP.

It was bad when all the new players got a free Bismarck.

It got rly horrible with the british BBs

And now I hardly see any BBs firing AP

Nelsons....HE, Yamato...HE, etc etc.

So much fun, so much wow.

• Boring 2

[HOO]
Players
1,788 posts
1,673 battles

No as if there are missions for the RN CVs tha require you to start fires this weekend.....

[NWP]
Players
5,146 posts
6,597 battles

In return, i see Cruisers using AP only vs angled targets...

world is upside down :cap_fainting:

• Cool 1
  • Funny 2

[SHAD]
Players
571 posts
2 minutes ago, Seiranko said:

Apart from one questionable Kurfürst today, I mostly saw BBs firing AP. So...

A Kurfurst should only ever fire HE from its secondaries!

• Bad 1

Players
5,022 posts
6,146 battles
Just now, gopher31 said:

A Kurfurst should only ever fire HE from its secondaries!

Well, guess why I said "questionable"...

[PARAZ]
Beta Tester
9,519 posts
15,243 battles

I much prefer it when BBs shoot HE actually.

Much more effective against AA mounts and gives me opportunities to exploit DCP usage. :Smile_trollface:

• Cool 1

Players
816 posts
59 minutes ago, SirAmra said:

It would be a bad Nelson player indeed that doesn't shoot mainly HE with the huge fire chance it has, plus with the AP not being that good on longer distance shots and only really useful from mid or close range on other BB's.

So I wouldn't expect anything different really from a Nelson player, the ships main strength is its ability to start fires often and burn enemy ships to bits from long distance

• Boring 1
  • Bad 2

[-RM-]
Players
374 posts
5,259 battles
1 hour ago, SirAmra said:

I play mostly BB:s and fire mostly AP,  the first spotted in game will get the HE I load for the possibility of a DD showing himself , yeah the odd bowtanker will get me to switch to He aswell.

Only ship I pretty much never switch  to HE with is the Musashi / Yamato

And yes if I did play my KGV or Nelson I would fire HE most the time cos its the most effective at long range, up close back to AP 

[BHSFL]
[BHSFL]
Players
1,842 posts
6,051 battles

Well i love the game but i'm not going to learn all the armour values and gun penetration values by heart.......i will just act on what i expect to happen and what i actually see happening when the shells hit.

AP has a much higher damage potential if they do not bounce, shatter or overpenertrate. So AP is my prefered shot unless i expect it to overpen right away.

Players
5,022 posts
6,146 battles
29 minutes ago, MRGTB said:

It would be a bad Nelson player indeed that doesn't shoot mainly HE with the huge fire chance it has, plus with the AP not being that good on longer distance shots and only really useful from mid or close range on other BB's.

So I wouldn't expect anything different really from a Nelson player, the ships main strength is its ability to start fires often and burn enemy ships to bits from long distance

Nelson AP still can overmatch and even at long range devastates cruisers. At mid range it wrecks BBs.

The ships main strength is to not give a f**k about fires and get unnerfed Conq heal at T7.

• Cool 2

[W-C]
Beta Tester, Players, In AlfaTesters
2,488 posts
6,713 battles

Well I did meet Edited* today who was firing HE in his friggin yamato, but other than that....AP all the way

No naming&shaming please

• Funny 1

[ADRIA]
[ADRIA]
Players
4,945 posts
7,160 battles
1 hour ago, SirAmra said:

Be happy about it. Easy way to spot useless :etc_swear: who probably are more of a threat to their own team than you.

Also that lets you give more broadside as - lets face it - that HE's not punishing anything with more armour than RN CLs

32 minutes ago, MRGTB said:

It would be a bad Nelson player indeed that doesn't shoot mainly HE

youre_serious_futurama.gif

32 minutes ago, MRGTB said:

plus with the AP not being that good

giphy.gif

• Cool 3

Players
816 posts
48 minutes ago, Seiranko said:

Nelson AP still can overmatch and even at long range devastates cruisers. At mid range it wrecks BBs.

Yes, I didn't mention Cruisers at distance. I only mentioned BB at distance with AP. I agree, the AP is okay against cruisers with long range shots, but not so much at long distance against BB ships. Well, unless you're top tier and can over-match far weaker T5/6 BBs.

But the AP on Nelson isn't going to do you much good taking long range shots on Tier 8/9 BB it can meet also, which is what I meant really.

• Funny 1

[SHAD]
Players
571 posts
48 minutes ago, Seiranko said:

The ships main strength is to not give a f**k about fires and get unnerfed Conq heal at T7.

Indeed.

In the Nelson the correct response when someone sets you on fire is to thank them for getting your fireproof and dreadnaught achievements.

Nelson AP is not fantastic  against BBs as it does shatter more than you might expect.

due to its overmatch and short fuse it is fantastic against cruisers.

Players
5,022 posts
6,146 battles
12 minutes ago, MRGTB said:

Yes, I didn't mention Cruisers at distance. I only mentioned BB at distance with AP. I agree, the AP is okay against cruisers with long range shots, but not so much at long distance against BB ships. Well, unless you're top tier and can over-match far weaker T5/6 BBs.

But the AP on Nelson isn't going to do you much good taking long range shots on Tier 8/9 BB it can meet also, which is what I meant really.

You can also overmatch T7 BBs. If you are against T8/9, use AP vs broadside, HE vs bo-on. But that basically applies to most of these BBs. Not like you will get much more done with Nagato AP against a bow-on Tirpitz, compared to Nelson AP.

4 minutes ago, gopher31 said:

Indeed.

In the Nelson the correct response when someone sets you on fire is to thank them for getting your fireproof and dreadnaught achievements.

Nelson AP is not fantastic  against BBs as it does shatter more than you might expect.

You can also overmatch same and lower tier BBs.

[NWP]
Players
5,146 posts
6,597 battles
6 minutes ago, MRGTB said:

But the AP on Nelson isn't going to do you much good taking long range shots at Tier 8/9 BB it can meet, which is what I meant really.

Just now, gopher31 said:

I rather think this comes down to personal flavour. I can get good chunks with AP longrange on BBs with QE/Nelson/KGV. They all have shortfuse AP, so you kinda have to aim a bit differently. But overall, you can get some really juicy salvos. And if you have AP loaded, you dont miss out on a Cruiser broadside:Smile-_tongue:

Im just not a good HE spammer i guess... RU CLs are the only ones i do well in with spamming HE really.

Players
1,103 posts
3,520 battles
2 hours ago, SirAmra said:

I must be the odd one out then, definitely the noobiest noob pleb as I use AP in my BB's and the supposed HE spam does not seem to work for me, I'm probably doing something wrong as usual.

[EUR]
Players
370 posts
4,103 battles

I never fire HE in my bbs per principle, I also shoot first those that do.

Players
816 posts
3 hours ago, Seiranko said:

You can also overmatch T7 BBs. If you are against T8/9, use AP vs broadside, HE vs bo-on. But that basically applies to most of these BBs. Not like you will get much more done with Nagato AP against a bow-on Tirpitz, compared to Nelson AP.

Why waste your time shooting AP shells at ships like Tirpz and Bismark in Nelson from distance. Both ships are pretty durable and hard to citadel. Yet, they both burn dead easy. I would never take on a Bismark or Tirpz from distance using AP shells (are you crazy) in a Nelson. Just burn them both to death easy in the Nelson using HE instead. You don't even want a Tirpz to come close to you brawling in Nelson anyway to use AP on him, because he has torps and both have good secondary guns. Keep them at distance and burn them to death is the way to deal with them ships in Nelson.

Different rules for different ships really. Lets take a Nagato or Amagi BB. Both are weak to AP hitting them broadside. So I would actually switch to AP against them at distance if showing me broadside. But ships like Bismark and Tirpz are the wrong ships to try and pen with AP in a Nelson from long range. But you only need light a match to set both on fire all the time.

• Boring 1

Players
816 posts
3 hours ago, lossi_2018 said:

I never fire HE in my bbs per principle

Sounds like you can't stand HE spammers in ships that are good for doing it with like Nelson, due the high fire chance it has. Well that's tough luck really, ships have two different ammo types for a reason. Some ships have very good AP pen (like American and some JAP BB). While others are less good with AP, but good with HE instead like the British BB.

So what "principle" do you have then? If you're in a BB known to have poor AP shell pen. Are you still going to use it all the time out principle? :cap_popcorn:

• Cool 1
  • Boring 1

[PEC]
Players
332 posts
1,750 battles

Meh, this AP snobbery all over again. You use the shell to suit the situation. That situation might be presented in the form of range, target, angling and even recent damage control use.

I held off three chasing PEF's in by Dunq firing over the shoulder at the three bow-on pursuers. They fired AP and got nowhere, I lobbed HE and stripped 25k off each casually rotating target and observing damage control usage/panic to get us to the end of the game. Points victory because I survived. If I'd been firing AP they'd not have been so keen to keep failing back behind eachother and hunted me down.

Not to mention, it's a game. I watched an Omaha and Exeter cost us a game today because they spent the whole end-game firing AP at 3 DD's instead of HE'ing them to death.

It takes all sorts, works both ways, simply part of the game.

• Cool 2