Server restart - 20/06/2019 Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
HussarKaz

HMS Furious torpedo aircraft should be Swordfish

31 comments in this topic

Players
206 posts
596 battles

As above. Barracuda started service in 1943. 6th tier CV should have grind Swordfish -> Skua
It is quite funny that if Furious stay in current configuration, players will never have a chance to challenge Bismarck (Tier 8) with Swordfish aircraft which damaged it badly in real life.

It would even be a trademark of this CV - good multirole Hurricane aircraft and bad torpedo aircraft (Swordfish/Skua)

• Cool 4

Players
232 posts

The Swordfish that damaged Bismarck were from HMS Victorious which would probably  be T7  if such a thing existed.

Furious was in refit in the USA at the time of the Bismarck chase.

Players
1,509 posts
8,378 battles

37 minutes ago, HussarKaz said:

6th tier CV should have grind Swordfish -> Skua

Albacores. Skuas were never torpedo bombers, they were fighter / bombers.  Furious certainly had Swordfish early in WW2, then Albacores, then Barracudas. I think WG is having trouble balancing the biplanes, though, as their low speed means they take too much damage from the continuous AA at higher Tiers, rather than being the flak-dodging advantage it was meant to be. 

• Cool 1

Players
104 posts
6,606 battles

WG cant get planes right on the old IJN and USN carriers why would you think RN carriers would be any different? 

Only thing you can hope for as that perhaps someone can mod the correct plane models in.

• Cool 2

[DREAD]
Players
6,599 posts
5,507 battles
23 minutes ago, snakecake said:

WG cant get planes right on the old IJN and USN carriers why would you think RN carriers would be any different? 

Only thing you can hope for as that perhaps someone can mod the correct plane models in.

Indeed. I am looking at you Kaga :-(

And High-Altitude interceptors on Graf Zeppelin instead of Ju87s is equally absurd.

Especially given that all plabe stats are given free almost without any real life world constraints it baffles me why WG messed up ALL plane load outs. 

Kaga should have D3As, A6Ms and B5Ns and GZ should have Ju87s. And yes - Furious should use Swordfishies 

• Cool 2
  • Boring 1

Modder, Alpha Tester
1,645 posts
868 battles
1 hour ago, gustywinds said:

The Swordfish that damaged Bismarck were from HMS Victorious which would probably  be T7  if such a thing existed.

The Swordfish from Victorious didn't do much to Bismarck, one torpedo hit her on the belt. It was Ark Royal's Swordfish who damaged Bismarck's steering gear and rudder.

• Cool 1

[HOO]
Players
1,788 posts
1,673 battles

Hermes hasA lbacores, which barely saw service and rocket equipped Gladiators.......

Players
3,086 posts
13,972 battles
58 minutes ago, fallenkezef said:

rocket equipped Gladiators

Is that a sneak preview from the upcoming WG title: "Battles in the Roman Colosseum"?:Smile_trollface:

• Funny 2

Players
206 posts
596 battles
20 hours ago, invicta2012 said:

Albacores. Skuas were never torpedo bombers, they were fighter / bombers.  Furious certainly had Swordfish early in WW2, then Albacores, then Barracudas. I think WG is having trouble balancing the biplanes, though, as their low speed means they take too much damage from the continuous AA at higher Tiers, rather than being the flak-dodging advantage it was meant to be. 

I fully agree.

[SCRUB]
[SCRUB]
Quality Poster
4,638 posts
16,042 battles
22 hours ago, HussarKaz said:

As above. Barracuda started service in 1943. 6th tier CV should have grind Swordfish -> Skua
It is quite funny that if Furious stay in current configuration, players will never have a chance to challenge Bismarck (Tier 8) with Swordfish aircraft which damaged it badly in real life.

It would even be a trademark of this CV - good multirole Hurricane aircraft and bad torpedo aircraft (Swordfish/Skua)

HMS Furious never went up against the Bismark. She did however launch attacks against the Tirpitz flying off, you guessed it Barracudas.

22 hours ago, invicta2012 said:

Albacores Skuas were never torpedo bombers, they were fighter / bombers.  Furious certainly had Swordfish early in WW2, then Albacores, then Barracudas. I think WG is having trouble balancing the biplanes, though, as their low speed means they take too much damage from the continuous AA at higher Tiers, rather than being the flak-dodging advantage it was meant to be. 

plane.png.c439f4309e8255b127fb8a1221bf1a27.png

This was never anything but a Torpedo bomber/bomber.

All the other CV at tier VI go from 1940 planes to 1943 in the game so why not RN CV.. Also Tier is not just by year entering service but by balance.

• Cool 1

[SCRUB]
[SCRUB]
Quality Poster
4,638 posts
16,042 battles
20 hours ago, fallenkezef said:

Hermes hasA lbacores, which barely saw service and rocket equipped Gladiators.......

800 were built and 2 RAF squadrons and 45 Fleet Air Arm squadrons were equipped with them during the war. so they did see a lot of service

That said.  Rocket equipped Gloster Gladiators.. I dont think this ever happened.

and Albacores. I dont think HMS Hermes ever embarked them. At the time of her sinking she defiantly had a Swordfish squadron assigned 814 (my granddads) and to my knowledge this squadrons was embarked in 1939.  For personal reasons I too think HMS Hermes Torpedo Bombers should be Swordfish the same as her rockets attack planes.

Also its worth noting that the RP-3 rocket did not enter service till late 1942 early 1943 the USN rockets even later and i don't think IJN EVER deployed rockets from aircraft. At least not single engine planes. Maybe rockets have no place on tier 4 CV

• Cool 2

[HOO]
Players
1,788 posts
1,673 battles
8 minutes ago, T0byJug said:

800 were built and 2 RAF squadrons and 45 Fleet Air Arm squadrons were equipped with them during the war. so they did see a lot of service

That said.  Rocket equipped Gloster Gladiators.. I dont think this ever happened.

and Albacores. I dont think HMS Hermes ever embarked them. At the time of her sinking she defiantly had a Swordfish squadron assigned 814 (my granddads) and to my knolidge this squadrons was embarked in 1939.  For personal reasons I too think HMS Hermes Torpedo Bombers should be Sword fish the same as there rockets attack planes.

Also its worth noting that the RP-3 rocket did not enter service till late 1942 early 1943 the USN rockets even later and i don't think IJN EVER deployed rockets from aircraft. At least not single engine planes

814 SQN was the only aircraft Hermer operated during the war, she only carried 12 aircraft for her entire war service and was actualy not carrying any when she was sunk, 814 squadron had been transferred and Hermes was traveling empty at the time the IJN got her.

Players
2,973 posts
3,349 battles
8 minutes ago, T0byJug said:

and Albacores. I dont think HMS Hermes ever embarked them. At the time of her sinking she defiantly had a Swordfish squadron assigned 814 (my granddads) and to my knowledge this squadrons was embarked in 1939.  For personal reasons I too think HMS Hermes Torpedo Bombers should be Swordfish the same as her rockets attack planes.

Also its worth noting that the RP-3 rocket did not enter service till late 1942 early 1943 the USN rockets even later and i don't think IJN EVER deployed rockets from aircraft. At least not single engine planes. Maybe rockets have no place on tier 4 CV

Does it matter? We just WANT TO SEE those Swordfish planes. No matter if they were there or if it makes sense or not. 

Just whatever, either WG put them Swordfishes on or we'll go get the pitchforks and riot! :Smile_playing: @MrConway !! 

[SCRUB]
[SCRUB]
Quality Poster
4,638 posts
16,042 battles
1 hour ago, fallenkezef said:

814 SQN was the only aircraft Hermer operated during the war, she only carried 12 aircraft for her entire war service and was actualy not carrying any when she was sunk, 814 squadron had been transferred and Hermes was traveling empty at the time the IJN got her.

Yep that i know as  I said its my grandads Squadron.. also why I said assigned and not embarked. There was a lot of confusion when she went down as to weather 814 Squadron was on board. As a result my grandmother got 3 death notifications for her husband

1 when Hermes was sunk and he was presumed to have gone down with ship.

1 when it was realized 814 squadron was not embarked. But my Grandads plane had not returned form a flight and was assumed lost

1 when his plane was found but not the crew.

He then walked down the garden path after spending some months in a army hospital in a coma after being found and taken there by some Arabs i believe. 

Edit..

and my Granddad made it home faster than the notification to my Gran her Husband had been found alive...:Smile_ohmy:

• Cool 2

[SCRUB]
[SCRUB]
Quality Poster
4,638 posts
16,042 battles
3 minutes ago, BLUB__BLUB said:

Does it matter? We just WANT TO SEE those Swordfish planes. No matter if they were there or if it makes sense or not. 

Just whatever, either WG put them Swordfishes on or we'll go get the pitchforks and riot! :Smile_playing: @MrConway !! 

On Hermes i completely agree.. but Swordfish in a tier 8 match... OW MY GOD......

Players
2,973 posts
3,349 battles
1 minute ago, T0byJug said:

On Hermes i completely agree.. but Swordfish in a tier 8 match... OW MY GOD......

Well, maybe like in the real Bismarck, they would not be able to set the range or shoot THAT low...

or 75% of the shot would just 'overpen'. Slow but steady.... WG could just do it, would be FUN!

[SCRUB]
[SCRUB]
Quality Poster
4,638 posts
16,042 battles
1 minute ago, BLUB__BLUB said:

Well, maybe like in the real Bismarck, they would not be able to set the range or shoot THAT low...

or 75% of the shot would just 'overpen'. Slow but steady.... WG could just do it, would be FUN!

I see a special operation sink the Bismark. Give her Swordfish on deck for that. Also that worked for the attack on Bismark.. but not the Channel Dash.

Players
2,973 posts
3,349 battles
Just now, T0byJug said:

I see a special operation sink the Bismark. Give her Swordfish on deck for that

Could do that. But really it wouldn;t be hard for WG to make Swordfish work in T8. 

Make them torpedo looooowwwwww and slowwwww, give them 150% damage reduction when doing that.

They can even make special effects like holes and stuff falling off. Swordfish just flying on not caring.

Of course a fighter would still shoot them easily, but AA would be quite ineffective on them.

But i really want to see long, slow Swordfishes not giving a damn about AA and dropping torps.

And BBs manoeuvring like nuts to avoid. 

Players
5,417 posts
8,131 battles
4 minutes ago, BLUB__BLUB said:

Could do that. But really it wouldn;t be hard for WG to make Swordfish work in T8. 

Make them torpedo looooowwwwww and slowwwww, give them 150% damage reduction when doing that.

They can even make special effects like holes and stuff falling off. Swordfish just flying on not caring.

Of course a fighter would still shoot them easily, but AA would be quite ineffective on them.

But i really want to see long, slow Swordfishes not giving a damn about AA and dropping torps.

And BBs manoeuvring like nuts to avoid. 

Reminds me of Po-2 biplane, only one biplane credited with jet kill. Perfect for Russian carriers:Smile_trollface:

[HOO]
Players
1,788 posts
1,673 battles

Many of the choices raise an eyebrow.

1)Rockets at T4 (IJN planes with rockets at all)

2) Spearfish

3) Gladiators and Seafires with rockets

4) Albacores as the torp bomber on Hermes but Swordfish as the "level-dive" bomber. The other ships use the same aircraft for torp and "level-dive" so why not just have the Swordfish do both on the bloody Hermes?

[SCRUB]
[SCRUB]
Quality Poster
4,638 posts
16,042 battles
23 minutes ago, fallenkezef said:

Many of the choices raise an eyebrow.

1)Rockets at T4 (IJN planes with rockets at all)

2) Spearfish

3) Gladiators and Seafires with rockets

4) Albacores as the torp bomber on Hermes but Swordfish as the "level-dive" bomber. The other ships use the same aircraft for torp and "level-dive" so why not just have the Swordfish do both on the bloody Hermes?

Seafire F. Mk 47 with 4x20mm cannon (so the one in game) could carry 8 RP3 Rockets

Spearfish... maybe better if they had just left the Barracuda with a newer Mark. Only other choice would have been the Tarpon(Avenger) and as they are on USN CV....i guess not

Gladiators 100% agree i think CV at tier 4 should have Torps and bombers. introduce Rocket attack planes at tier 6

Hermes agree completely 

[ORM]
Players
65 posts
1,601 battles

off topic but sort of appropriate.

did anyone else look at that weekly series to build the bismark and find this part of the back cover notes rather ironic ? 

irony ring.jpg

Players
104 posts
6,606 battles
1 hour ago, T0byJug said:

The Japanese did deploy rockets on single engine planes but really late into the war.

J2m5, Yokosuka D4Y2-S could have rockets but those were air to air rockets like the Type 3 No.6 Mk 27, The ones WG is using for the IJN, which was designed in January 1944 and adopted in February 1945. So Shokaku was already sunk before they got into service as was Ryujo.

• Cool 1

[ORM]
Players
65 posts
1,601 battles
42 minutes ago, fallenkezef said:

those partworks are such a con

stupidly so, that was why i was looking, to see if there was any justification for the cost, not that i'd have bought it anyway

Sign in to follow this