Zigiran

What to do with free xp?

15 comments in this topic

[TORCH]
Players
115 posts
1,706 battles

I got 350k free xp and I'm not sure what to do with it:

- Buy a Nelson... And let it rust for a while in my port, since I got only 1 BB line and that is at T5 (the Kongo). So playing a T7 BB might not be a good idea untill I have more BB experience.

- Spent it on captain. I have a lvl 15 captain, I can almost get him to lvl 18 with that xp and get closer to my first lvl 19 captain.

- or ... something else?

• Cool 1

[OP-B]
Beta Tester
798 posts
3,879 battles

You can save the free exp to unlock modules on your new ships. Most stock ships are still good enough though, but it can make the grind a bit smoother :)

[SWTP]
Players
762 posts
7,982 battles

Save it. Later when you will gain more experience and skill you can get free xp t9 ships. You can also use some of it to research some modules on particularly weak stock ships. I wouldn't waste it on captain training but YMMV. 

• Cool 3

Players
3,477 posts
8,165 battles
2 hours ago, Zigiran said:

- Buy a Nelson... And let it rust for a while in my port, since I got only 1 BB line and that is at T5 (the Kongo). So playing a T7 BB might not be a good idea untill I have more BB experience.

- Spent it on captain. I have a lvl 15 captain, I can almost get him to lvl 18 with that xp and get closer to my first lvl 19 captain.

- or ... something else?

Save the fxp for now.

It's easy to spend but also easy to regret having spend fxp on the wrong thing.

This is coming from someone who already earned millions of fxp so far and got all fxp ships.

[UNICS]
Players
413 posts
5,719 battles

If you`re actively grinding the IJN BB line, then i advise saving free exp for modules on Izumo ;)

Players
1,647 posts
12,173 battles

It all very much depends.

Generally, these days it is my opinion that Free XP is too valuable for Commander Training. However, it is very easy to say that when you have almost a dozen maxed out commanders... as with most everything else, there is a certain snowballing effect with commander XP, once you have the first guy at 19 points, the next one will be so much quicker. So that is a desirable goal. Also the value has been diminished by WG's inflationary expenditure of special camos, signals etc that yield Free XP bonuses.

One way of 'focusing' XP gains on a single commander without using elite commander XP is rotating him through several premium ships per day, to let him benefit from all their daily first win bonuses. You only seem to have one of those though, the OR. Soviet DD commanders are somewhat more viable on that ship than cruiser commanders, especially in the current meta with increased carrier presence. Also we will soon get a full Russian BB line. Still, it's only the one ship and it's only Tier V and I don't suppose your top guy is Russian, so maxing out a commander that way would take quite a long while.

Nelson is a fun ship, even though a bit different than most other BBs, very good for both Tier VII operations, and you could get a lot of value out of her precisely because you haven't started on the RN BB line yet. What you do is hire Bert Dunkirk from the Arsenal or buy enough Dunkirk containers from the Arsenal to get Jack Dunkirk. The latter would be better if you have enough coal, because those containers also get you special signals, most of which in turn boost the commander XP  yield. Then you put the Dunkirk commander successively on every new RN BB you unlock and immediately transfer him back to Nelson for the Retraining period. That way, you never have to play with retraining-restricted commander skills, and the Dunkirk guy gets at least the full amount of ship XP as commander XP out of each successive new BB grind.

Most people seem to prefer spending Free XP on the enhancement modules of new ships. Many 'stock' ships are significantly weaker than fully upgraded ones. But the higher the tier, the more viable the stock ships generally are, and what doesn't kill you, makes you stronger. Playing with a stock ship can be viewed as extra training. I mostly just occasionally Free-XP the last quarter or so of the needed amount these days.

Edit: Bear in mind there will be a free Commander skill point Redistribution period at the beginning of the next Update in three weeks' time. Those can be great fun but especially if you have many highly skilled commanders. Also I don't know if retraining will also be free, otherwise you could use that period mainly to experiment only with premium ships without paying a lot of doubloons for retraining.

• Cool 1

[SERBS]
Players
68 posts
8,684 battles

Best thing to do is save your free exp for some tier 9 ship+in time that you are collecting free exp u will get more in to it and geting more experience what and how it works.

Commander skill points u will get it eventually becouse u are grinding and commander exp+skill point will come...

Dont rush Nelson is not making silver as any of tier 9 premm freeexp ships so it's kinda waste of exp on it...

But it's your choice...

But this what i would do id i was in your place.

[TORCH]
Players
115 posts
1,706 battles

So far I only found 1 ship hard when it was stock, the fubuki (with 6 km torps... ridiculous). I should have used free xp on it, but I didn't back then, since I was not sure if I should save the free xp. Other ships are fine for me stock.

My 2 'big' captains are:

- lvl 15 captain on the Kagero (yes, I got a new captain for the Yugemo). I'm going to keep my Kagero, it is so much fun to play. Well, not since the last 4 weeks, but eventually, hopefully?

- lvl 14 captain on my Omaha (I got new captains on my Pensacola and Dallas). Been playing Omaha for the last 4 weeks and I'm having so much fun in it.

I got no premium ships in both those lines, so I can't lvl my captains up faster that way.

The main reason to buy the Nelson now would be: will it maybe become unavailable for free xp some day?

And yes, I had not considered that, but it would be nice to have if I go for the RN BB line some day.

[SM0KE]
Players
2,992 posts
7,134 battles
On 3/3/2019 at 5:47 AM, Zigiran said:

Nelson is quite hard to play, if you aren't a bit of a BB meister (all the citadels, plus she's rather slow - as a red-blooded DD main, Nelson represents a very tempting target); that said, she's rather good - and fun - in the current Op, if you don't have other suitable T7s - not a bad way to grind silver, plus RN BB captain experience. So, Nelson isn't a bad thing to do with free xp.

I use some of my free xp on captains, but usually only to push them the last bit of the way to the next point (especially if that extra point will unlock something essential e.g. CE etc.); this use of free xp will generally drop off more and more as you get more and more 19-point captains. For example, since I got a 19-pointer on my Gearing, who can also cycle through Sims, Kidd, and Black, my need for free xp for captain training has dropped noticeably.

The other key use for me is researching modules for stock ships (generally, researching new ships with free xp is a waste, not that I've never done it) - playing stock ships against real people can be an unfortunate experience, especially when one is still mastering the game (or if, like me, you suck); it's worth reading the wiki for each ship, as some modules are less essential than others, and so don't need free-xping.

That's stuff you can do right away with your free xp, but you can also keep accumulating it, until you can afford one of the high tier free-xp ships (so, Alaska at the moment); those ships can be very worthwhile, if one has the skill-set to make full use of them (or if they're fun - I have MO, Kron, and Musashi, and am hopeless in all of them, so they live exclusively in Coop for me, but they're all entertaining to play even so).

*Which* of those options you should take first will vary very much player-to-player; if you're short of good captains, that might make the captain option more suitable; if you *really* hate playing stock ships, perhaps fix that, and so on. Captains become more useful if you're pushing up the tiers, or if there is a competitive mode you have your eye on, and so on. The only thing that's time-limited is probably the Alaska (all previous T9 free-xp ships have been removed from sale after about a year), but as that's new, you probably have about a year to get it; so far, Nelson is not showing any signs of being retired.

So, all of the above are valid uses; the only 'bad' choice (for most people) is researching entirely new ships - don't stress excessively about the choice; you can always research more free-xp!

[TORCH]
Players
115 posts
1,706 battles

I have decided to wait and see how the exeter missions go.

I'm currently working on the first ones in my Omaha, but later you need RN ships if I remember correctly (which I do not have).

So I will see if I have enough time to complete the exeter missions, then I'll get the Nelson to complete them.

But I doubt that I will have enough time, I'm still working on part 1 stage 2 (receive 4 mil damage), since it took ages to get those 30 plane kills.

[BONI]
Players
1,194 posts
10,641 battles

Normal BB experience might not help you all that much with Nelson, besides just handling a slow ship with long range... the turret arrangement, massive citadel and superheal set it apart from any other, especially at the tier.

I'd never, ever spend FXP instead of commander XP. Once you start earning elite commander XP, you earn it just as fast as normal commander XP. So each FXP is worth 20 (elite) commander XP. It's horribly wasteful. I only ever spend it on premium ships and skipping painful grinds.

[SM0KE]
Players
2,992 posts
7,134 battles
1 hour ago, MoveZig said:

I'd never, ever spend FXP instead of commander XP. Once you start earning elite commander XP, you earn it just as fast as normal commander XP.

I wouldn't rule out spending free xp entirely earlier in one's playing career - higher point captains make such a positive difference, after all.

Once you have a 19 point captain (or, better, several) the need to do so drops off, and one should use captain xp as much as possible after that...

Players
816 posts
On 3/3/2019 at 10:47 AM, Zigiran said:

Buy a Nelson... And let it rust for a while in my port, since I got only 1 BB line and that is at T5 (the Kongo). So playing a T7 BB might not be a good idea untill I have more BB experience.

T7 is not too bad, it's T8 or higher you want to avoid really if not having played any high tier BB yet other than Kongo at lower levels.

Nelson is really good ship to spend the free XP on, plus it sits at a nice tier 7 playing level. If you've played T5 for a while, then moving to T7 level is the next step anyway and not that vastly different from playing T5. Not unlike how T8 and upwards is for playing. Another plus factor is that you can play Operation matches in T7 ship but not T8 and higher as pointed out by others. So you can use Nelson in Operation games as well, which is what I've been doing now in it.

Nelson for me is the best ship I have paid to get so far, and I have bought quite a few premium ships as well. I paid to unlock all the XP to get Nelson, yeah I know, I must be crazy, but it has proved well worth doing it.

Players
455 posts
9,986 battles
On 3/3/2019 at 11:47 AM, Zigiran said:

- or ... something else?

Short version:

Gather 740k more and buy A L A S K A

Players
237 posts
1,385 battles
On 3/3/2019 at 10:47 AM, Zigiran said:

A tip from a long experience of how WG work by being able to read you mind, wait for the next big blockbuster release and spend it on OP Soviet battleships. You can be sure if you fritter it away now you'll kick yourself in a few weeks time.

Sign in to follow this