You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Floofz

FPS drops

120 comments in this topic

[MIDS]
Players
20 posts
11,719 battles
2 hours ago, MrConway said:

I have some good news, our devs think they might have found a solution for the FPS issues.

Please download the following zip file: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1wEqGgCh-D9B8Z9v1mkrxGsSMeDuf34bY/view?usp=sharing

To apply the fix, you should:

1. Download archive
  2. Unpack the archive
  3. Copy the "fps_fix" folder to the game directory, next to worldofwarships.exe
  4. Go to the directory fps_fix
  5. Launch apply-patch_eu.bat
  6. Select the "1. Apply Changes" option.
  7. Press any button

To undo changes:

1. Run the apply-patch_eu.bat
  2. Select the "2. Cancel changes"
  3. Press any button

Important! In order for the fix to work correctly, the game must be without installed modification or running in safe mode.

Please let us know if this helped with your issue so we can deploy it globally if successful.

what do u mean  "next to worldofwarships.exe" ?

[WG-EU]
[WG-EU]
WG Staff, Alpha Tester
2,685 posts
2,615 battles
44 minutes ago, Teogr8 said:

what do u mean  "next to worldofwarships.exe" ?

Oh sorry, in the same folder as the executable, just in the main folder.

[SCRUB]
Players
3,207 posts
8,367 battles

Can we have some more info on this?

Who is this fix ment for? Will this "hotfix" get into the main release? Why must I not have mods installed? Can I install the mods after running the fix?

• Cool 1

[WTFNO]
Players
151 posts
10,602 battles

This FPS drop is a windows 10 issue. https://www.techtimes.com/articles/239511/20190312/latest-windows-10-update-causes-lag-in-games-microsoft-advises-update-uninstall-as-quick-fix.htm

As this game is full of bugs, the UI is garbarge, and the developpers seems to do it on purpose, plus the toxicity of players, it s understandable to blame WG, but this time, it's Microsoft.

[BAD-A]
[BAD-A]
Beta Tester
1,761 posts
16,579 battles

Update to my previous, have made 3 separate changes to 3 in game files, now have 145 FPS dropping to a stable 120 after 2 mins in game, and have pretty much eliminated in-port lock ups (chat window excluded coz it's crap) all at 3440 x 1440@ max settings in game am more than happy and haven't needed to uninstall WIN10 update.

[BAD-A]
[BAD-A]
Beta Tester
1,761 posts
16,579 battles
13 hours ago, MrConway said:

I have some good news, our devs think they might have found a solution for the FPS issues.

Please download the following zip file: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1wEqGgCh-D9B8Z9v1mkrxGsSMeDuf34bY/view?usp=sharing

1. Download archive
  2. Unpack the archive
  7. Press any button

To undo changes:

3. Press any button

Important! In order for the fix to work correctly, the game must be without installed modification or running in safe mode.

Please let us know if this helped with your issue so we can deploy it globally if successful.

Hi @MrConway disabling texture streaming gave a higher initial FPS but the drop was considerably worse as time went by in a game? Far better results leaving it enabled and expanding the cache size from 2MB to either 8MB or 12 MB.

Also changing max FPS from 75 to 150 made a difference too.

Not sure why the devs feel this 'fix' will work when it patently does not when in use?

As it also introduced artefacts into the sky at the same time as degrading performance down to 80-85 FPS then TBH it's not a 'fix' at all

shot-19_03.14_23_16.21-0958.thumb.jpg.191643475101c2db288ef93718b14a4c.jpg

[BAD-A]
[BAD-A]
Beta Tester
1,761 posts
16,579 battles
1 hour ago, Steph246 said:

This FPS drop is a windows 10 issue. https://www.techtimes.com/articles/239511/20190312/latest-windows-10-update-causes-lag-in-games-microsoft-advises-update-uninstall-as-quick-fix.htm

As this game is full of bugs, the UI is garbarge, and the developpers seems to do it on purpose, plus the toxicity of players, it s understandable to blame WG, but this time, it's Microsoft.

If you read that 'article' then you will see where it states " the problem mostly affects computers powered by Nvidia's GeForce RTX series graphics cards "

• Cool 1

[M_OB]
Players
514 posts
4,282 battles
1 hour ago, Steph246 said:

I can assure you it isnt Microsoft. Ive locked my updates over a year ago so I have a very old version of windows 10. It worked before patch 0.8.0.3 and now it doesnt. My windows 10 client is on the exact same update.

• Cool 1

[-RT-]
Players
78 posts
11,001 battles

I was given the following solution for my ticket:

Open the World of Warships engine_config.xml (located within World of Warships\res folder) and replace the <enableTextureStreaming>true</enableTextureStreaming> to <enableTextureStreaming>false</enableTextureStreaming>

@MrConway is the zipped patch an additional fix?  Or does it do the same thing as the above?  Trying to figure out if I need to do both.

Anyway regarding the TextureStreaming fix above, the sample size of games I've tested isn't very large but it does seem to make a difference.  Previously about 2-3 games into a session, things would go to hell.  Seems to not be the case now.

However two weird things have happened to the game so far.  First, the sound just cut out mid session.  It wasn't my hardware because I minimised the client and opened a youtube vid which had sound.  Second, the game froze at one point and crashed to black screen of death.  I had to sign out and log back into the client.

@cherry2blost have you tried the cache fix and max fps issue concurrently with the patch?  Is the problem still there?  Btw how are you changing your cache and max fps?  I'd like to try this just to see what happens.   

[BAD-A]
[BAD-A]
Beta Tester
1,761 posts
16,579 battles
13 minutes ago, ZandersMcGrooby said:

I was given the following solution for my ticket:

Open the World of Warships engine_config.xml (located within World of Warships\res folder) and replace the <enableTextureStreaming>true</enableTextureStreaming> to <enableTextureStreaming>false</enableTextureStreaming>

@MrConway is the zipped patch an additional fix?  Or does it do the same thing as the above?  Trying to figure out if I need to do both.

Anyway regarding the TextureStreaming fix above, the sample size of games I've tested isn't very large but it does seem to make a difference.  Previously about 2-3 games into a session, things would go to hell.  Seems to not be the case now.

However two weird things have happened to the game so far.  First, the sound just cut out mid session.  It wasn't my hardware because I minimised the client and opened a youtube vid which had sound.  Second, the game froze at one point and crashed to black screen of death.  I had to sign out and log back into the client.

@cherry2blost have you tried the cache fix and max fps issue concurrently with the patch?  Is the problem still there?  Btw how are you changing your cache and max fps?  I'd like to try this just to see what happens.   

As discussed earlier the cache to false gives an initial boost but the mid term FPS drop off is around 20 FPS higher, I also ended up with artifacting in the sky, the Cache to true, with increased cache size and FPS limit raise, along with the built in frame drop in port changed from 30 to 5 seems to have fixed all my issues including the port hanging issues, have passed on our findings to WG and still they seem to be blaming Windows and changing the cache to false even though it has limited utility.

@ZandersMcGrooby yes all the batch file does is change the Stream Cache to false.

With my settings as below I have an initial 145 FPS that settles down to 107 to 117, with xsplit streaming in the game this drops to 77 to 87... perfectly playable with no major drop offs

settings.thumb.png.729988f9b69f64d8ac3bfb920273b4b4.png

[BS4]
Players
959 posts
5,843 battles
20 hours ago, MrConway said:

1. Download archive
  2. Unpack the archive
  7. Press any button

To undo changes:

3. Press any button

Many thanks..This has Made a difference. I can report that the fps is higher for me around (10-15 fps) and doesn't bottom out under heavy load.

However the sound IS still distorting under same conditions as before. So no change there unfortunately.

[-RT-]
Players
78 posts
11,001 battles
3 hours ago, cherry2blost said:

As discussed earlier the cache to false gives an initial boost but the mid term FPS drop off is around 20 FPS higher, I also ended up with artifacting in the sky, the Cache to true, with increased cache size and FPS limit raise, along with the built in frame drop in port changed from 30 to 5 seems to have fixed all my issues including the port hanging issues, have passed on our findings to WG and still they seem to be blaming Windows and changing the cache to false even though it has limited utility.

@ZandersMcGrooby yes all the batch file does is change the Stream Cache to false.

With my settings as below I have an initial 145 FPS that settles down to 107 to 117, with xsplit streaming in the game this drops to 77 to 87... perfectly playable with no major drop offs

settings.thumb.png.729988f9b69f64d8ac3bfb920273b4b4.png

@cherry2blosthow do I increase the cache size and up the fps limit though?  

[EUR]
Players
410 posts
4,613 battles

plz explain in steps how to fix cache and btw I have win7 amd system and it has drops since update, the fix made it more stable though, so it is an improvement

[PK11B]
Beta Tester
773 posts
12,047 battles
Am 16.3.2019 um 11:33, cherry2blost sagte:

Hi @MrConway disabling texture streaming gave a higher initial FPS but the drop was considerably worse as time went by in a game? Far better results leaving it enabled and expanding the cache size from 2MB to either 8MB or 12 MB.

Also changing max FPS from 75 to 150 made a difference too.

Not sure why the devs feel this 'fix' will work when it patently does not when in use?

As it also introduced artefacts into the sky at the same time as degrading performance down to 80-85 FPS then TBH it's not a 'fix' at all

shot-19_03.14_23_16.21-0958.thumb.jpg.191643475101c2db288ef93718b14a4c.jpg

These artifacts I have also without the fix. Win 10 with nVidia RTX 2070.

[MIDS]
Players
20 posts
11,719 battles

so as it seems problem solved? NOT

still having fps drops

Players
2 posts
6,782 battles

I also have huge fps drop in game, my normal fps is 60 /70 with tendency to drop to 50 and that's it, now it start with 70 and drop to 15 or 10.  All this started since last patch,  while i reading this posts I came to the conclusion that most people which have Nvidia graphic card have this fps problems... So guess what i have >>> Nvidia GTX 1050 Ti, WIN7.   Geforce experience  set my optimal settings for this game and every other game, and I have no problem with other games except with this one, I tested on the Assassin's Creed  II,III,,IV. BLACK FLAG is very similar, no huge fps drops.  WOWS working just fine until last WG update  since then i have FPS issue  +  High quality audio issue.   Obviously enough people have the same or similar problem it would be nice to get some fix...

edit : i did some changes in engine_config but it still drop to 20 fps

Players
159 posts
5 hours ago, Shomy80 said:

I also have huge fps drop in game, my normal fps is 60 /70 with tendency to drop to 50 and that's it, now it start with 70 and drop to 15 or 10.  All this started since last patch,  while i reading this posts I came to the conclusion that most people which have Nvidia graphic card have this fps problems... So guess what i have >>> Nvidia GTX 1050 Ti, WIN7.   Geforce experience  set my optimal settings for this game and every other game, and I have no problem with other games except with this one, I tested on the Assassin's Creed  II,III,,IV. BLACK FLAG is very similar, no huge fps drops.  WOWS working just fine until last WG update  since then i have FPS issue  +  High quality audio issue.   Obviously enough people have the same or similar problem it would be nice to get some fix...

edit : i did some changes in engine_config but it still drop to 20 fps

Have you tried a Reinstall? 

I had the same Problem (it was almost unplayable after a while) and the reinstall seems to fix it atleast on my PC.

[-B-P-]
Players
5 posts

HI guys, 

Same here, though I play on a MAC and not in windows . 

....Yeah I know everybody laughs and says " he said MAC ":cap_wander:

Anyways I have an older 2012 MacBook Pro 

Before 0.8.1.0 I had stable 30+ FPS... low but playable for me. And one crash/ freeze on an average of 10 games

Since the CV rework, I have FPS Spikes going from 5 to 38. 

I found that playing up until tier VI , the FPS does spike at times but it's playable. 

From Tier VII and up, it gets bad.

For example, when I'm playing Bismarck in a CQB with AA and secondaries blasting, it will drop to below 5 and even freeze and or crash. 

For random battles that is. 

If I play a scenario or co-op I almost have no problems at all even with higher tiers. 

Just wanted to let you know that even running on a different machine, same probs here