Server restart - 20/06/2019 Read more... ×
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Riggerby

Best RN Premium BB?

67 comments in this topic

[GKXS]
Beta Tester
165 posts
1,496 battles

Hello Everyone!. I'm looking to purchase an RN BB to assist in crew training and such, And i'm quite unsure which to go for as none of them look especially superior to the others.

Options :
> Hood

> Duke of York

> Vanguard

From what i can gather, Hood seems a bit.. 'jack of all tradesy', DOY seems just inferior to the tech tree King George V, And the Vanguard.. I really don't understand how its even remotely balanced having to fight Tier X with 15' whilst being super squishy.

What do you reccomend? Ta.

[GKXS]
Beta Tester
165 posts
1,496 battles
1 minute ago, Tricky_201 said:

Warspite

Already have it, Though, I genuinely struggle to enjoy it. I can deal with slow ships, And i can deal with squishy ships, But, i just cant enjoy slow AND squishy ships :/. Dont even get me started on that gun range either :/

Beta Tester
207 posts
5,011 battles

With the gun changes i'd actually call Hood a solid ship, all she was missing was a little something on that front and WG has given it to her, she's pretty fun to play and zip around in and is surprisingly tanky. Vanguard? I like her but she can be a right pain when uptiered at times and her AP is so-so. The Duke of York is a essentially a worse KGV with Hydro and one less heal (she might have slightly improved AP, I cannot remember), she can be an excellent ship but KGV is overall just better with the reload advantage, I still expect the KGV to be nerfed someday so she might sometime be the right choice.

[ADRIA]
[ADRIA]
Players
4,945 posts
7,160 battles

Warspite's super accurate and has 381s at t6 which is a significant power advantage, but she's damn slow (altho turns on a spot) and outranged by most BBs she meets. Including t5s

Hood's allright (fast and tanky), but it doesn't look too great, it kind of seems to be missing something... And those buffs mentioned above - sigma buff is so small it's irrelevant, and the fuse time change can easily be argued to be much more of a nerf than a buff

Nelson is a solid & free choice if you have 375k FreeXP

DoY is superior to KGV if you play it as a BB not a cruiser

Vanguard - I honestly don't see why anyone would play it. Especially with t8 MM as it is now

• Cool 2

[BHSFL]
[BHSFL]
Players
1,811 posts
6,028 battles

At it's tier i would say the Warspite, a real Battleship. Slow but well armoured and powerful guns. I am so enthousiast about it i made the Queen Elizabeth tech tree ship - bit different stats but not that much - as good as a "premium" too with the 1000 doubloon permanent camo. That is cheaper aswell :-)) I like to use them for Operations.

The Hood.... it can hit hard and is somewhat tougher then it's RL fate implies. But it is an old Battlecruiser in an age where armour was still sacrificed for speed,  not a thick armoured slow Battleship. There are more Battlecruisers in the British lines, that sure are weaker then Battleships. Speed in the limited size maps often only gets you killed....

Nelson.....despite it's akward monsterheal it's still is not that durable, takes much damage despite using the ships design in the right way.

T8+ will feel weak because they have to go up against T IX-X all the time.

[GKXS]
Beta Tester
165 posts
1,496 battles
6 minutes ago, Aotearas said:

No love for HMS Das Boot?

wut

5 minutes ago, HatsuzukiKaiNi said:

With the gun changes i'd actually call Hood a solid ship, all she was missing was a little something on that front and WG has given it to her, she's pretty fun to play and zip around in and is surprisingly tanky. Vanguard? I like her but she can be a right pain when uptiered at times and her AP is so-so. The Duke of York is a essentially a worse KGV with Hydro and one less heal (she might have slightly improved AP, I cannot remember), she can be an excellent ship but KGV is overall just better with the reload advantage, I still expect the KGV to be nerfed someday so she might sometime be the right choice.

Cheers bud!, I think i will go for Hood, I've wanted her for a very long time anyway :)

3 minutes ago, 159Hunter said:

Nelson, you'll learn to use the high tier heal as well.

I was thinking this but, Similar to why i dislike warspite, I don't feel as though the good guns outweigh my complete distaste for super squishy unbearably slow ships. I've already spent the better part of 3 million freexp in the past few weeks anyway, So need to stock back up for the next tier 9 freemiums, Haha.

12 minutes ago, Admiral_H_Nelson said:

Hood.

Buffed in 0.8.0 and I played it since - transformed!

image.thumb.png.c4609ccbcccede552412edc9fb4bb22d.png

+1 :)

1 minute ago, wilkatis_LV said:

Warspite's super accurate and has 381s at t6 which is a significant power advantage, but she's damn slow (altho turns on a spot) and outranged by most BBs she meets. Including t5s

Hood's allright (fast and tanky), but it doesn't look too great, it kind of seems to be missing something... And those buffs mentioned above - sigma buff is so small it's irrelevant, and the fuse time change can easily be argued to be much more of a nerf than a buff

Nelson is a solid & free choice if you have 375k FreeXP

DoY is superior to KGV if you play it as a BB not a cruiser

Vanguard - I honestly don't see why anyone would play it. Especially with t8 MM as it is now

Similar thoughts to my own, I think i will go for hood, And dosen't look that goodddd? bruhhhhh, Hood is like... Ugh <3

[ADRIA]
[ADRIA]
Players
4,945 posts
7,160 battles
1 minute ago, Riggerby said:

Similar thoughts to my own, I think i will go for hood, And dosen't look that goodddd? bruhhhhh, Hood is like... Ugh <3

Just clarifying - didn't mean that as "looks visually" :Smile_veryhappy:  Replacing "look" with "seem" probably would have been clearer :cap_hmm:

[GKXS]
Beta Tester
165 posts
1,496 battles
1 minute ago, wilkatis_LV said:

Just clarifying - didn't mean that as "looks visually" :Smile_veryhappy:  Replacing "look" with "seem" probably would have been clearer :cap_hmm:

Was thinking man.. Haha. One of the most beautiful ships ever put to sea. Or maybe i'm just a little bit bias being British. Lmao.

Players
5,417 posts
8,131 battles

I'd lean towards Nelson for her derpy looks, meaty 3x3 406mm and tea grade heals. And she is free (sort of)

[SCRUB]
Players
715 posts
13,197 battles

A bit of offtopic

What does Hood's defensive AA do after the rework? 

Beta Tester
2,505 posts
3,460 battles

I'd say Nelslol, then Hood, then Warspite, and then the DOY.

Have no expirience of the Vanguard other than shooting at them, so I can't vote on her :P

[LADA]
[LADA]
Players
142 posts
4,858 battles
2 minutes ago, Freyr_90 said:

A bit of offtopic

What does Hood's defensive AA do after the rework? 

Not much. It's just the flat 100% to AA damage (which is okay) but not the instant 'make all those planes go away' button it used to be.

That is a shame from my point of view, I thought it one of the best comedy consumables in the game. I think most CV players only ever attacked a Hood ONCE before learning the error of their ways. 

• Cool 2

[SCRUB]
Players
8,135 posts
10,628 battles
27 minutes ago, Riggerby said:

wut

Nelson-class, due to the ship's silhoutte also referred to as Her Majesty's Boots.

And Nelson is a pretty damn good BB imo. Guns are very punchy. Ship itself has decent armour (though it's overmatch and IFHE heaven) and the RN Drydock consumable. Plus as a free XP ship she's basically free to get as long as you got some lying around so if anything you should get her anyway and then see if you want something on top ...

[NWP]
Players
2,005 posts
13,059 battles
1 hour ago, Riggerby said:

I was thinking this but, Similar to why i dislike warspite, I don't feel as though the good guns outweigh my complete distaste for super squishy unbearably slow ships. I've already spent the better part of 3 million freexp in the past few weeks anyway, So need to stock back up for the next tier 9 freemiums, Haha.

Wouldn't call Nelson slow, for slow BB I turn towards the fat Americans :) 

Another plus:  atm you can get extra coal in the "fly strike win" event with her. 

[SHAD]
Players
571 posts

Nelson is my favourite but doesn't uptier well due to that citadel.

Hood is good, very tanky when angled. The most recent 'buff' is questionable. Due to it's the pen the longer fuse doesn;t really help it to get battleship pens but does make it far less likely with those paper mid tier light cruisers.

Warspite  is very strong for it's tier for all intents and purposes, it's guns are the same as the Hood's with better accuracy.

Don't go DOY it really is a far worse KGV.

I don't have the Vanguard  but not many people seem to recommend it. Notser does enjoy it though.

Players
3,770 posts
7,462 battles
2 hours ago, Riggerby said:

What do you reccomend? Ta.

Invest in cammo/flags/premium time, train the captain on your favorite ship up to 19 points then do all of your crew training using elite captain XP.

• Cool 2

[M_OB]
Players
494 posts
4,245 battles

Ive always wondered why the KGV is so much better than Duke of York? Thought they were pretty much the same?

Ive never liked Nelson, dont know why but it seems to die so extremely fast. The guns are nice thou.

I happen to be one of the few people who love Vanguard (despite only having played a few games in it). Thing with Vanguard is that it handles like a cruiser and the guns perform arguably better than for instance Bismarck.

Players
5,417 posts
8,131 battles
31 minutes ago, AdmiralDing3Ling said:

Ive always wondered why the KGV is so much better than Duke of York? Thought they were pretty much the same?

Ive never liked Nelson, dont know why but it seems to die so extremely fast. The guns are nice thou.

I happen to be one of the few people who love Vanguard (despite only having played a few games in it). Thing with Vanguard is that it handles like a cruiser and the guns perform arguably better than for instance Bismarck.

Main difference is 5s reload, better rudder shift for KGV vs better(ish) AA, access to Hydro, USN AP ricochet for, well, AP shells but one heal less (2 base, 3 premium, 4 premium+SI).

For generic HE slinging, KGV with that extra reload is more than adequate. With DoY you can actually try to put AP shells into good use, blapping angled cruisers and occasional BB.

Nelson have, shockingly enough, citadel above waterline, so any sort of broadside tends to hurt. Her "reinforced" 32mm amidship lets her shrug off non Yamato class ordnance though. That and while she have lol heal, said lol heal have LONG reload time, so if things get interesting enough, you might not live long enough for another heal.

[DC_DK]
Players
2,437 posts
24,624 battles

I would go for Nelson, just for the raw gun power. Have them all and must admit that Duke of York and me don't get a long very well. Most likely me potato'ing

Players
640 posts
7,763 battles
20 hours ago, Capra76 said:

Invest in cammo/flags/premium time, train the captain on your favorite ship up to 19 points then do all of your crew training using elite captain XP.

Much faster as well if the fav is a high tier. After the first 19 pointer it goes much faster. I have 7x 19 point captains with 3 more on the way. 

• Cool 1