Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Crysantos

ST - New maps

30 comments in this topic

[WG-EU]
WG Staff
2,542 posts
12,135 battles

Three new maps for tier VIII-X battles have been added to the game.

They don't have names or a certain visual style yet, but you can already take a look at the location of the control points and Islands.

The first map is a group of medium-sized Islands located at a fairly large distance from each other. There are a lot of open spaces on the map and there are almost no Islands for cover in or near the caps.

52901612_2305816116411389_5173226118769016832_n.jpg

In the eastern part of the second map, one control point is covered from the others by a chain of Islands, however these allows ships to move freely. Small groups of Islands on the 9-10 lines will help ships to provide flank cap control. A few small islands are located in the center. Their height allows players to fire over them. You will find several large Islands in the western part of the map. They will help to hide the ships entering and leaving the nearby control point.

2.jpg

The third map is a large chain of Islands of different sizes, located close to each other. Islands form a large bay around the control point in the eastern part of the map. Many Islands in the western and central parts of the map will allow you to secretly move and organize ambushes.

3.jpg

Maps are expected to go through several stages of testing and as a result, they can change significantly.

Please note that the information in the Development Blog is preliminary.

• Cool 12

[ADRIA]
[ADRIA]
Players
4,945 posts
7,160 battles

1st looks like Trap / Atlantic with less islands

2nd reminds me of Sea of Fortune (the left-most 2/3 of that map), just with the island ridge we're getting on nearly all maps now

3rd is a bit more unique, still reminds me of a mix of North & Land of Fire with the lighting of Shatter

Very unique :cap_old:

• Funny 1

Players
19 posts
4,150 battles

Great, I think it is well overdue for a few new maps. I would love to see a new one a bit more regular.

In general the layout of these seem ok, probably fairly balanced and will probably play out like most we have already. However that is also a bit of the problem with them for me, at least from these top views, they seem to lack some imagination and character. You can say a lot about two brothers and ocean for example, but at least the have something special.

What about writing out a contest in the community? I am sure there are people with great idea's.

[WGB]
[WGB]
Players
2,103 posts
27,090 battles

Always good to see new maps in the game.

• Cool 1

Beta Tester, In AlfaTesters
640 posts
8,853 battles

It's a shame you cannot guage the hieght of islands from the images.

If the idea for the first one is that it's more open then that's how it appears. I'm assuming from the description that most of the islands are quite flat. But it's got that unusual symmetry where the middle cap is diagonally symmetrical but the "A" and "C" caps are mirrored so that while the map is the same in terms of caps you still have a different approach north than you do from south.

The second looks like a jumble, I was never really very keen on some of the small clusters of islands on maps like sleeping giant or hotspot but they werent in places that could be using as cover while flanking so that's interesting. I'm curious to see whether the wall of islands is like Islands of Ice/Tears of the Desert/Mountain Range or lower than that, but they look like they can be fired over, not just imbetween. The islands on the west seem like they could be the only real cover on the map but in a relatively confined space.

The island layout of the third map is certainly different, it has a few unusual arrangements that will make maneuvering a lot more hazardous when close in and having 2 caps be so island heavy is also uncommon in the current map rotations. The parallel island arrangements on the east look interesting but so far to the edge of the map. I'm curious to see the geometry of the large island in the center and the surrounding islands.

Overall these maps seem, to me, to be very open and trying to bring combat into to closer ranges, ships that aren't suited to open water camping are forced into close quarters islands with some questionable cover. I am glad there are no "roundabout" style maps like Haven or Two Brothers. But really, the true measure of any new maps won't be clear until they're released and the meta for their play starts to develop but I look forward to seeing that, seems like a long time since we had new maps.

[CATS]
Players
17,380 posts
11,714 battles
  1. Too open, needs more islands
  2. Too open, needs more islands
  3. Too open, needs more islands on the west side

Map 2 and 3 could work without changes on mid Tier.

• Cool 2
  • Bad 1

[SWTP]
Players
800 posts
8,060 battles

Open maps without much cover are encouraging camping and static gameplay. With these maps it can be one big camp fest.

[ADRIA]
[ADRIA]
Players
4,945 posts
7,160 battles
12 minutes ago, DariusJacek said:

Open maps without much cover are encouraging camping and static gameplay. With these maps it can be one big camp fest.

Because noone ever spends the whole game sitting behind islands doing absolutely nothing, right?

• Cool 1

[SCRUB]
Players
8,194 posts
10,726 battles

And every single capture point comes with convenient islands for radar ships to just sit behind and deter DDs trying to play the objective, or in general just partitioning the map into standard firing corridors.

WG, this is World of Warships, not World of Sitting Behind Islands. A wee bit more ocean on the maps would do some good. Also whilst I'm at it, can we get the frequency of the Ocean map increased a bit? It's so ridiculously rare to get a match on that map these days.

Seriously, it's nice to have island cover every now and then, but too much available cover isn't exactly conductive of dynamic gameplay and especially hightier games could use maps that promote less static gameplay, not more.

• Cool 5
  • Funny 1

[SWTP]
Players
800 posts
8,060 battles

Some people will camp for various reasons regardless of map design and class played. Either behind the island or at the max range hagging borders even with DDs (20km Shimas). Watching some CCs videos on YT or twitch we can see them camping and using the team as a meat cover, no surprise then that some will watch it and do the same. WG could make ships spawn a little closer or already at full speed at least it would help with slow starts that are boring a bit and make some campers move (unless some would turn around straightaway:cap_haloween:)

[SCRUB]
Players
8,194 posts
10,726 battles
2 hours ago, DariusJacek said:

Some people will camp for various reasons regardless of map design and class played. Either behind the island or at the max range hagging borders even with DDs (20km Shimas). Watching some CCs videos on YT or twitch we can see them camping and using the team as a meat cover, no surprise then that some will watch it and do the same. WG could make ships spawn a little closer or already at full speed at least it would help with slow starts that are boring a bit and make some campers move (unless some would turn around straightaway:cap_haloween:)

There's a difference though between camping because your positioning sucks and camping because it's clearly the most beneficial position to be in.

WG can't patch stupid, but they can at least create maps that facilitate a more dynamic gameplay by not splattering every map with lots of convenient cover islands everywhere.

Beta Tester, In AlfaTesters
640 posts
8,853 battles

They could have designed these maps with the same specific goal in mind because they feel the current rotation is lacking maps that play around a specific style. It's not like old maps are being removed in lieu of these 3.

[DSPA]
Players
449 posts
3,119 battles

Is it a coincidence that all 3 maps have 3 capturer points?  Why not a new 1 with 4?

Don't maps with only 2 or even 5 work?

• Cool 2

[TTT]
Players
4,301 posts
7,937 battles
4 hours ago, Aotearas said:

facilitate a more dynamic gameplay World of Battleships by not splattering every map with lots of convenient cover islands everywhere that allows those pesky crusiers to actually survive occasionally.

ftfy

(the above is semi-serious)

• Funny 1

[SCRUB]
Players
8,194 posts
10,726 battles
6 hours ago, Tyrendian89 said:

ftfy

(the above is semi-serious)

There's a difference between having some islands for cruiser to use as cover and having lots of islands near caps for cruisers to hug for the majority if not entirety of the match.

Some islands are nice. But we don't need all the islands.

I for one would like to see islands that only provide visual obstruction, but if spotted can be shot through say islands with dense jungle/tree lines (high enough to keep a ship hidden behind it), but you can shoot through it (once a ship hiding behind it is spotted) instead of the current standard of solid mountains everywhere.

Players
5,555 posts
8,175 battles

One thing that baffles me, why old "pre rework" maps aren't in game. Islands of Ice alone was reworked what, 3 times? While each of them IIRC were viable and fun in their own way maps

old.jpg.8eeabcf10a7a4abd410195fc32b07f57

Oldest.jpg.8ddb0c0f2c8de031c642405b314a7

Older.jpg.cf6cc9b48a9124446292e0f0a322af

Thats already 3 extra maps with 0 effort. Maybe MINOR island tweaks here and there

Also bring back lightning theme from old Northern Lights - aurora borealis as main light source.

• Cool 3
  • Bad 1

[AAO]
Tournament Organizer
343 posts
12,179 battles

Old ice was the biggest crap ever.

Players
13 posts
5,734 battles

All is good with New Maps, New Ships, New Aircraft Carriers etc, etc, How about an ANTI CHEAT for the game. You people know it's going on, but are doing nothing about it.

• Funny 1
  • Boring 1

[CATS]
Players
17,380 posts
11,714 battles
18 minutes ago, Woodchip17 said:

All is good with New Maps, New Ships, New Aircraft Carriers etc, etc, How about an ANTI CHEAT for the game. You people know it's going on, but are doing nothing about it.

We have such a system in game.

If you do not believe it, install SweetFX on your system and watch the warning mails coming in.

• Funny 1

[ADRIA]
[ADRIA]
Players
4,945 posts
7,160 battles
1 hour ago, Woodchip17 said:

How about an ANTI CHEAT for the game.

How about git gud and stop blaming your shortcomings on literally everything except yourself?

And, just like ColPete said - it's long since implemented :cap_old:

[BAD-B]
Players
877 posts
2,506 battles

erm ...

1. NO

2. NO

3. Almost but still NO

One hint WG: add small island INTO caps so DDs can play around then, avoid islands at the edge of the caps so radar cruisers can't hide or at least make it so that 10km radar from behind the closest island reaches at most 2/3 into the cap ... That way DDs can actually have some fun instead of guessing which island on the other side of cap hides a radar cruiser ....

Also please STOP with symmetrical designs. 95% of the maps released in the last patches are symmetrical towards spawns or the other diagonal ... Was it Shards you changed this patch ? it was a unique map, now it is just a variant of the new Okinawa design ...

• Cool 2
  • Bad 1

[NWP]
[NWP]
Players
948 posts
7,505 battles

New maps are always good, but I'd like to see some maps based on real locations (like old Okinawa). Symmetrical is fine as long as you're planning to use the maps in comp modes, but I don't think they're necessary or desirable in randoms. Gameplay should be FORCED to become dynamic an emergent based on the circumstances and environment. E.G. Playing a Moskva in a map where the islands are far away from your spawn? You'd better learn how to open water that big boy!

• Cool 2

[WWGU]
Players
482 posts
8,277 battles

Absolutely agree with my player colleagues here.

We need Islands in Caps not tight around them. This gives Destroyer v Destroyer fights, and keeps the Radar cruisers further away. If a cruiser wants to support a Cap then they have to expose more risk. This is especially important in the higher tier matches.

It is good to see maps that are Asymmetrical providing Asymmetrical hiding places. The OLD Shards was very good at this. This rewards players and experience yet not making it inaccessible for new players.

Use the Symmetrical maps for Competition Play, Ranked and Clan (and a salting in the Randoms so we get to see them and practice) plus make them available in the Training Room.

Occasional "Real World" based maps are a major bonus and force dynamism in playing. But I can see the problem in competitions. You must remember that teams spawn on BOTH sides of the map, so you are not only be on one side.

Don't be afraid to use more open water too!

• Cool 3
  • Bad 2

Sign in to follow this