Server restart - 20/06/2019 Read more... ×
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.

13 comments in this topic

Players
3 posts
689 battles

Is there somewhere that explains why HMS Exeter is Only T5 in Game?

Did I Miss a Page 'Cause that puts it below Not Only the Graff Spee In T6 (also in the wrong Tier)

which is below the even Leander in T6 that doesn't seem to make sense? :<?

[SE_WO]
Players
206 posts
10,510 battles
44 minutes ago, Dauntless71879 said:

Did I Miss a Page 'Cause that puts it below Not Only the Graff Spee In T6 (also in the wrong Tier)

Maybe they are trying to be realistic for once !  THE real Graf spee came very close to sinking the real Exeter in about a hour  gun battle and the Spee took little damage from Exeter , but EXETER did provide brave cover fire for 2 other Brit ships .  

But  Na ! WG would never try to be realistic , SHIPS of all nations on the same side ?? PLANES with no elevator player control, or joystick option ? its just a CONCOL science fiction game now days ! REALISEM WOULD BE A NICE CHANGE ! T 5  T 6 is the least of their issues !

Never the less players still toss money at them ! Why so is a better question . ouch .

[OP-B]
Beta Tester
797 posts
3,879 battles

Well then, go ahead and tell us why they are wrong. I can spend time on it, but since you disagree you can start by telling us why you think an Emerald with 203mm guns should play against T8s.

[BHSFL]
[BHSFL]
Players
1,811 posts
6,028 battles

I find it to be quite usable and enjoyable and T5 counts for adding to all mission rewards. And i seem to often get to duel with Graf Spee's.....

Funny thing that.....i thought there was a Graf Zeppelin in the match ( silly me mixing up tiers ) that i wanted to kill ( and get some mission aircraft kills while he was defending his CV while fleeying ) and there was a gap in the line to where CV's always hide. But arriving where it should be there was another "Graf" and i wondered for a moment where it's flight deck was as i still was convinced that was the Graf Zeppelin not paying attention to the part that comes after "Graf" , and i never seen the Graf Zeppelin up close so rare is/was it. I was actually amazed when it did not flee but turned to engage me. I wondered how big this CV's secondaries must be for him to do that....And only then i saw it's main guns better and realized it was no CV....lol

We sunk each other, he me and a revenge salvo of torpedo's some later him.

[BS4]
Players
932 posts
5,783 battles
16 hours ago, Dauntless71879 said:

As she is, she is more than capable at tier 5, 6. Struggles a bit at tier 7 with the slow reload.

IMO she should have been a tier 6 Ship with smoke (where she would prob be op) and to make her capable @ tiers 7+ 8 would prob need to tweak that re load time....so she feels a bit confused as to where she should be tbh...

First RN CL premium (apart from Belfast) and she goes tier 5?:Smile_amazed:

That's WG logic for you...:Smile_sceptic:

[BHSFL]
[BHSFL]
Players
1,811 posts
6,028 battles

Probably it is not T6 because they removed the smoke that was judging on the reviews still there in testing.

And probably they did that because it will be a free ship and there will be many of them. At tier 5 without the smoke they probably not influence balance of other T5 ships as much.

[SP4WN]
Players
164 posts
16,753 battles

btw... it is next to impossible to finish the Exeter Mission where you have to shoot down 30!!! planes with T5 to T8 DDs/CAs because no one is playing CVs...

Just annoying and another sign that no one is interested in playing CVs - gg WG

[PEC]
Players
327 posts
1,743 battles
On 3/1/2019 at 11:30 PM, Dauntless71879 said:

Exeter and Graf Spee were by no means equal. Exeter was commissioned in 1931, Graf Spee was commissioned in 1936. Exeter was based on the 1920's York Class I think being the last of her kind and only had her fire control systems upgraded after spending a year in the shipyard being repaired after her action with Graf Spee. Worth noting that against Graf Spee she was supported by Ajax and Achilles and it wasn't a 1v1 fight, certainly after the damage she took from a Graf Spee shell early on.

These ships were never an equal match. Perhaps HMS Cumberland might have been a T6, but not Exeter. The Leander Class Achilles and Ajax were much nearer the same design and commissioning timescale as Graf Spee and T6 seems appropriate, but even then, they were light cruisers and Graf Spee, a third heavier than Exeter, was reclassified as a heavy cruiser in 1940 so same tier but different class.

In short:

Exeter was York Class 1920's cruiser with 6x203's designed to conform entirely with naval treaties of the period, 3-4 knots faster, but inferior steam engines.

Graf Spee was a Deutschland-class 1930's design with 6x283's. She and her sisters were declared as confirming to the Versaille treaty, but definitely did not and each of them was about 6000t heavier in displacement under full load and had diesel engines.

Players
4 posts
3,353 battles

Don't worry we can have the older but more heavily armed county class at tier 6 maybe a premium version at tier 7 though it does raise the question of where to put Hawkins 

[PEC]
Players
327 posts
1,743 battles

Well, County Class preceded York, and Hawkins Class came even earlier.

Hawkins should sit at T4 in truth. They and the Cavendish Class were all made before the 1920's bar a couple.

County Class were all 1920's ships, though HMS Cumberland from the Kent Group of the County Class feels more T6 than a T5 based on service and reputation but in truth is more of a T4-5.

Players
4 posts
3,353 battles

Well the county class were larger and had 8 guns also age doesn't define tech tree position for example Dunkirk and Leon one is far more modern than the other but the more advanced ship is a tier below. 

Players
232 posts

Been playing Exeter a lot more these past few days and I have to say she is not T5 material even with the loss of the smokescreen. She shits all over most other T5s. I deliberately look for Emeralds and Konigsbergs to wipe out quickly.

Only reason I can think they didn’t put her at T6 is they want Australia there.

Players
232 posts
On 3/5/2019 at 10:41 PM, Foxhound421a said:

Don't worry we can have the older but more heavily armed county class at tier 6 maybe a premium version at tier 7 though it does raise the question of where to put Hawkins 

I’m thinking they probably won’t do a CA line as such, just Exeter at T5 and Australia at T6 commonwealth with maybe a parallel County. Could possibly be boosted to T7 on the basis London was upgraded and give it Belfast type consumables.