You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
MrFingers

For HMS Exeter marathon: how exactly are we supposed to shoot down 30 planes when there is nothing we can do to guarantee a CV in the match (except div'ing up)?

265 comments in this topic

[SCRUB]
[SCRUB]
Quality Poster
4,642 posts
16,121 battles
15 minutes ago, MrFingers said:

As per title. The very first requirement is: "shoot down 30 planes in a T5-8 British, US or Commonwealth cruiser or destroyer, in PvP or PvE". PvE is right out, since there are no AI carriers, and every AI ship launches its spotterplane from the very start of the battle. That leaves PvP. Prior to 0.8.0, you could use a CV as a flyswatter to spank planes out of the sky, but now that's impossible since CV's aren't a counter to eachother anymore, and the mission explicitly stipulates cruisers & destroyers, so that's double out as well.  

So that leaves either ships that are known for not having any meaningful AA whatsoever (and thus can be bullied by the planes at liberty), are known to be AA powerhouses and thus are avoided by planes because the CV-operator knows they'll be eaten alive or ships that have "some AA", and then are at the mercy of the opposing CV operator giving them some attention. Given that you get into a battle with carriers to begin with, which isn't a certainty anymore since the balancing WG does since 0.8.0.

Poor accidental mission design? Intentional frustration in order to bully people into buying the Admiral Pack? Out of touch community management? Do we really have to div up with a carrier player in order to get a chance to progress in this mission? Prior to 0.8.0 this mission wouldn't be such a chore, but now...

ok 4 months ago it was an issue...

But getting CV in games at the moment.... Not really a problem is it? CV brought to battle is still pretty high even after patch 8.0.3

in the week ending 23/02 CV made up 4.6% of ships brought to battle.. tiers 6-10 Thats like over 2x the average of last year. where CV struggled to make 2%

http://maplesyrup.sweet.coocan.jp/wows/ranking/20190223/eu_week/average_class.html

Divitioning up has often been the best play if you need a specific task.

RN CA tier 7 and 8 have good AA (more so in the new AA rework) USN CA/CL also have great AA..  USN DDs there are many strong AA DD's.

• Cool 1
  • Boring 3
  • Bad 2

[JRM]
Players
1,881 posts
15,938 battles

@OP Well while it can be an annoyance and I get your beef, you are in a clan? Hard to belive it would be such a problem to do that mission ie that none of your clanmates has a cv handy for diving up?

Anyway if it should be the case and you need a div m8 you can ping me in the evening and we can div up in any tier you want so you can have a shot at those plane kills

• Cool 2

[SCRUB]
Players
8,173 posts
10,706 battles
17 minutes ago, T0byJug said:

in the week ending 23/02 CV made up 4.6% of ships brought to battle.. tiers 6-10

How many of those CVs are actually at tiers VI and VIII as opposed to tier X? Because Exeter mission is limited to tier V-VIII ships and hoping to get bottom-tiered against a tier X CV isn't exactly a rosy starting point to shoot down aircraft and given the ongoing CV rework balancing shenanigans I seriously doubt the lower tier (VI and VIII) CVs get much playtime (premium CVs more that regular ones but still not much due to nasty tier X AA and tier VIII MM).

• Cool 8

Beta Tester
4,528 posts
9,851 battles

Spam battles until you finish it.

Which is the entirety of WGs mission design the last half a year.

• Cool 2

Players
3,009 posts
3,402 battles
4 minutes ago, Aotearas said:

How many of those CVs are actually at tiers VI and VIII as opposed to tier X? Because Exeter mission is limited to tier V-VIII ships and hoping to get bottom-tiered against a tier X CV isn't exactly a rosy starting point to shoot down aircraft and given the ongoing CV rework balancing shenanigans I seriously doubt the lower tier (VI and VIII) CVs get much playtime (premium CVs more that regular ones but still not much due to nasty tier X AA and tier VIII MM).

If he wants he can div up with me, I often play T6 CV (with a DD... LOL).

Or div o up with one of the dudes from this thread... they seem to have no lack of CVs.

[BHSFL]
Players
1,925 posts
6,124 battles

That is what happens if you nerf a class to hell !!

I enjoyed CV a lot but with every (stack of) nerfs this was reduced. Now playing them leaves ashes in the mouth, so i only take them out rarely. I can only imagine others do the same as the nerfs make CV play unenjoyable for them just as well.

Your weapons refusing to fire,  fighting against a not-narrowing aim and on top of that being turned to a fireball while struggeling with aiming, that is gameplay wrecking. No one wants to play like that.

But it only bothers non-CV players because they can't complete - or with difficulty - some mission. Consider it payback for all your "CV must be nerfed !" complaints. This is what you want ? This is what you get.

• Cool 3
  • Funny 2

[NWP]
Players
5,177 posts
6,629 battles

I agree... Complete joke imo. So far, the shoot down planes-mission were basicly not needed (in the directives f.e.), but now we have to do it, even with very limited ships!

Ontop of that, we will be seeing idiots left and right to get planekills, i.e. yolo in and hope the CV strikes you? Or try to borderhump your way to the enemy CV and wait till he attacks you :cap_fainting: And we all have to join the fun because of the tier limitations :cap_haloween:

2 minutes ago, Beastofwar said:

But it only bothers non-CV players because they can't complete - or with difficulty - some mission.

Seeing how you cant do the mission while playing CV... you can only div up with one CV and take turns :cap_fainting:

• Cool 3

[BONI]
Players
1,196 posts
10,671 battles

Really lame, and makes me wonder if CV bots were meant to be included in this update.

• Cool 3

[SCRUB]
[SCRUB]
Quality Poster
4,642 posts
16,121 battles
13 minutes ago, Aotearas said:

WOW  ok this surprised me as well @Aotearas

Tiers 6-8 ships brought to battle in week ending 23/02 CV made up..

You ready for this........

10.87% of ships brought to battle

Ships brought to battle 671,142   CV 72980

• Cool 2

[WJDE]
Beta Tester
555 posts
8,741 battles

It's always great to see wargaming desining missions and having coop mains in mind as well.

Oh...

• Cool 3
  • Funny 1

[SCRUB]
Players
8,173 posts
10,706 battles
3 minutes ago, T0byJug said:

Tiers 6-8 CV in week ending 23/02 CM made up..

Surprising indeed. I seriously wouldn't have expected such a high percentage.

Guess there's still plenty masochists around playing those CVs.

• Funny 3

[SCRUB]
[SCRUB]
Quality Poster
4,642 posts
16,121 battles
1 minute ago, orzel286 said:

It's always great to see wargaming desining missions and having coop mains in mind as well.

Oh...

orzel286 you do nothing but complain about wargaming and how crap there games are...

Why you still here?

• Cool 1
  • Funny 1

[PORT]
[PORT]
Beta Tester, Players
184 posts
26,483 battles

The same can be said for Stage 4, part 1.  Over any number of battles; earn 7 achievements.

Unless they bring back the 4 Goal Haul award. This part can't be done in co-op either.

• Cool 6

[PORT]
Modder
1,639 posts
11,866 battles

Hm, I guess they expected a huge CV-playerbase after the rework. :Smile_hiding:

Maybe after some patches this on will be easier to achieve?

• Funny 1

Players
74 posts
1,614 battles
Il y a 24 minutes, T0byJug a dit :

Tiers 6-8 ships brought to battle in week ending 23/02 CV made up.. 

Ships brought to battle 671,142   CV 72980

For all types of battle, ie Random + Ops + Coop ? Sorry to ask the question, the site is not clear about that - since you seem a bit more knowledgeable than me I prefer to ask :Smile_teethhappy:

(the idea being that this number would be less surprising since last week was Killer shark op where a CV can shine + I personnaly tend to do CV coop in order to learn the ropes correctly)

[SCRUB]
[SCRUB]
Beta Tester
2,444 posts
6,619 battles

I see CVs more often in mid tiers than higher and they are potentially played to a lower standard (no proof... just a feeling).   Even if I can use high tier (like in the fly strike win missions) I have found that my Helena is a good pick because its tier, the increased CVs and then it is good at shooting them down when they are there.  Obviously Helena is no good for the Exeter missions, but there are plenty of CVs so it shouldn't take too long.

Don't really see the problem OP sees.  You clearly don't need to team up with a CV to do it.

[RONIN]
Beta Tester
3,078 posts
6,133 battles

My favourite is this;

Over any number of battles; deal 100,000 damage to enemy ships by setting them on fire.

Reward: 5 India Yankee signals.

Ship restrictions: Tier VI–VIII U.K. cruisers, destroyers, and battleships.

Good luck setting those fires with UK cruisers :D

*yes I'm aware there's belfast, and some have secondaries

• Funny 4

[BOBS]
Beta Tester
381 posts
11,139 battles

As of today people will start to have enough items to buy into the RN CV's, starting at t4, so play t5 ships and you'll get your chances.

[B-F-M]
Weekend Tester
4,059 posts

and with SERVER CRASHES.... like actually... its gonna mutch harder to do this 30 planes....

[BONI]
Players
1,196 posts
10,671 battles
5 minutes ago, PassTheSalt said:

As of today people will start to have enough items to buy into the RN CV's, starting at t4, so play t5 ships and you'll get your chances.

Pretty sure you can't farm enough florins yet. Crowns, sure.

[JRM]
Players
1,881 posts
15,938 battles

You can if you bought exeter

Players
816 posts
20 minutes ago, MoveZig said:

Pretty sure you can't farm enough florins yet. Crowns, sure.

You can get it today if you spend £10 on 5 containers. It will give you enough Florins (500) plus what you got yesterday from the 1st 2 directives to then only need 4 Crown short for the lowest tier CV. You should have got around 46 crown yesterday for first two directives and you'll get more today taking you to 50 crown needed to get the lowest Brit CV. But it means you have to spend £10 on 5 containers in shop to do it which will give you enough Florin required, otherwise you'll not farm enough free Florin today for it.

I have seen somebody playing the Furious in COOP earlier and asked how he got it so fast. Said he bought it from shop, but he must have bought loads of containers to get it. Not sure how he got enough crowns already though for the Furious?