You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Varian_Dorn

Exeter - guns highly ineffective at times?

46 comments in this topic

Players
1,680 posts
8,664 battles

Would that register as an over pen, though? I would think that the OP either hit a module or that the AP penetrated the belt but exploded before the citadel. 

French cruisers are the worst for this. Large calibre AP either goes right through them or explodes between their spaced armour for low pen damage. 

4,377 posts
8,840 battles
18 minutes ago, invicta2012 said:

Would that register as an over pen, though?

Technically: Yes. Tried it back in the past with a Furutaka on a Kuma ... close range onle overpens at the citadel.

Why OP though got shown the 'Penetration' ribbon. Maybe he too hit a module. The detailed ribbons are still a tad wonky at times.

Players
5,285 posts
6,380 battles
3 hours ago, SeaWolf7 said:

THIS...

This ship has been butchered for tier 5 period...rn cruisers survivability depend on the smoke they were given to counter there paper thin armour....and WG remove it? This proves that WG know nothing about balance....

The only T5 cruisers that have any appreciable amount of armour are the Furutaka and Krasny Krim. Exeter still beats ships like Omaha or Emile Bertin in armour and the citadel is pretty compact. arguing that Exeter for whatever reason is exceptionally squishy and deserves a repair party and a smoke when most other T5 cruisers are just as squishy or even worse is just absurd. If Exeter was a T6 or higher, where the RN CLs actually get worse armour than the rest of the pack, you might have a point, but as it's a T5, it basically has to play like any cruiser that has no armour. So, most T5 cruisers.

• Cool 3

Players
2,458 posts
15,503 battles
1 hour ago, Yedwy said:

look at her armour sheme and then you will understand the problem, that is also my beef with the armour sheme on the exeter herself, that armor (or lack thereoff)

The armour scheme's almost identical. Both have a 76mm belt and 13mm plating.

Key difference Furrytako has a crazy weather deck (even for a tier 10 cruiser) and a beta torp bulge that still causes strange results like the OP has encountered (this happens even with 15" guns)

Exeter counters with a much smaller citadel, it's tanky for a sub tier 8 CA.

• Cool 1

[JRM]
Players
1,973 posts
16,187 battles

Well they are CLs not CAs there is a distinct difference in their role even if it got smudeged in game "a bit"

[CATS]
Players
17,821 posts
11,758 battles
2 hours ago, Varian_Dorn said:

So I just had this fight, close combat. Me in my Exeter, 203 mm guns, AP rounds. My opponent a Furutaka. He's Maybe 4 - 5 kilometers away. Shows full broadside to me, I fire, score at least one hit dead centre….

… for about 400 damage. Normal penetration.

This repeated itself a few times until my Exeter was destroyed by him and another Furutaka. With that one target I continuously fired upon barely receiving damage. Only once did I score a solid hit with about 4500 Damage on his forward superstructure. Most of the time though, no matter how much he exposed to me, no matter how well I aimed and how many shots connected…. 3 digit damage hits.

Even the Furutaka skipper was baffled.

So, maybe it's just me here, buuuut… is it possible that, somehow, either Exeter has the worst 203 mm guns imaginable for a tier 5 ship or did Wargaming once again just [edited]up here? I'm at a loss, literally.

EDIT: replaced "get" with "score" in line 1 for more clarity.

Exeter guns have nearly the same penetration as Furutakas guns. The difference is around 10mm of penetration at 10km.

• Cool 1

[NWP]
Beta Tester, Players
1,736 posts
4,899 battles
14 minutes ago, ColonelPete said:

Exeter guns have nearly the same penetration as Furutakas guns. The difference is around 10mm of penetration at 10km.

How about krupp and impact angle? Perhaps, that could explain the situation.

[CATS]
Players
17,821 posts
11,758 battles
18 minutes ago, Blixies said:

How about krupp and impact angle? Perhaps, that could explain the situation.

Krupp has influence on penetration power and that is nearly equal.

Guns can have completly different Krupp and the same penetration as long as the other values change.

Ricochet Angles are the same.

Sounds more like bad luck or bad aim.

[NWP]
Beta Tester, Players
1,736 posts
4,899 battles
6 minutes ago, ColonelPete said:

Krupp has influence on penetration power and that is nearly equal.

Guns can have completly different Krupp and the same penetration as long as the other values change.

Ricochet Angles are the same.

Sounds more like bad luck or bad aim.

I didn't mean richochet angles, but rather the angle of impact ( high arcs, vs ow arcs). This can make a huge difference (although I'm not saying this is necessarily the case).

[JRM]
Players
1,973 posts
16,187 battles

Well shell speed is similar to us mid tier 8" and they are not hard to aim or hit with

[CATS]
Players
17,821 posts
11,758 battles

Impact angles are nearly identical up to 10km, after that Exeter gets more floaty. (According to wowsft.com)

Btw. I just noticed that I compared Furatakas old guns with Exeter. If you take the new guns the difference in penetration is around 25mm or 12% at 10km.

[NWP]
Beta Tester, Players
1,736 posts
4,899 battles
2 minutes ago, ColonelPete said:

Impact angles are nearly identical up to 10km, after that Exeter gets more floaty. (According to wowsft.com)

Btw. I just noticed that I compared Furatakas old guns with Exeter. If you take the new guns the difference in penetration is around 25mm or 12% at 10km.

Alright.
I'm out of ideas why people experience such different behaviour from such similar guns then.

One more reason to enjoy Furutaka and not bother With Exeter I guess :)

Beta Tester
966 posts
9,785 battles

The trick is Mr Potter, not being shot at. Switching ammo type very often and using torpedoes. I find it best used in close vicinity to one of our teams battleships. Twisting and turning the opponent will usually chose the BB to fire at. Its a behind the scenes type of ship. If you are being focused you are too close to the action. It helps if the enemy team are muppets.

shot-19.03.01_11.16.37-0632.jpg

• Cool 1

[-MM]
Weekend Tester
145 posts
3,720 battles

I had an Exeter v Exeter duel last night... Starting with him broadside to my front. In the end, we torped each other to death. It was two minutes of overpens and misses before that, all at under 4km 

Next game I triple citadel a Yorck, then can't hit at all with the next ten salvos 

Firing HE at a Normandie I was getting either shatters, 400dmg, or 3.4k per salvo.

The guns are very unreliable, which I think is highlighted by the exceptionally slow reload and low shell count. 

Beta Tester
966 posts
9,785 battles
11 minutes ago, _Dunc_ said:

I had an Exeter v Exeter duel last night... Starting with him broadside to my front. In the end, we torped each other to death. It was two minutes of overpens and misses before that, all at under 4km 

Next game I triple citadel a Yorck, then can't hit at all with the next ten salvos 

Firing HE at a Normandie I was getting either shatters, 400dmg, or 3.4k per salvo.

The guns are very unreliable, which I think is highlighted by the exceptionally slow reload and low shell count. 

Was that me? I had a game last night too, were I torpedoed an Exeter and he torpedoed me to death.

Edit. Checked replay files, was not.

Players
381 posts
2,155 battles

She's coming top in most of the games I've played, or 2nd to me in a DD. She's almost still OP if played near DD's or BB's, but she can be buggered alone.

My team mates are reporting a plethora of citadels so it's obviously not a bug, it's situational and people need to learn her quirks like any other boat.

[CATS]
Players
17,821 posts
11,758 battles

The first few hundred Exeter games vastly outperform her competitors.

[BS4]
Players
957 posts
5,843 battles
3 hours ago, Seiranko said:

The only T5 cruisers that have any appreciable amount of armour are the Furutaka and Krasny Krim. Exeter still beats ships like Omaha or Emile Bertin in armour and the citadel is pretty compact. arguing that Exeter for whatever reason is exceptionally squishy and deserves a repair party and a heal when most other T5 cruisers are just as squishy or even worse is just absurd. If Exeter was a T6 or higher, where the RN CLs actually get worse armour than the rest of the pack, you might have a point, but as it's a T5, it basically has to play like any cruiser that has no armour. So, most T5 cruisers.

OK fair point ....

I said smoke but your correct in that would be absurd at tier 5....the problem is it just shouldn't be at tier 5. It needs to be at tier 6 with its smoke....there it would be more ideal suited to deal with its 6,7 and posibly tier 8 oponants ...with a tweak on the absurd reload time perhaps....

Players
1,446 posts
3,990 battles
4 hours ago, Varian_Dorn said:

Maybe you guys didn't really read AND think. I wasn't asking about Exeters armor, I was asking about her GUNS.

The shooting things.

Please really READ my initial posting again, thanks.

EDIT: to sum it up, it's about me, using Exeter with AP rounds, being unable to deal any noteworthy damage to a Furutaka, who was showing broadside, despite me hitting him several times dead center.

Ok I have no interest in any marthons, not as any of us can get in game right now, but what is the HE damage on the Exeter?

Players
201 posts
9,015 battles

Thanks for all the replies, I think I get it now. Seems once again I have to think a bit different about engagements and ammo usage with Exeter than I'm mostly used to. Pardon my somewhat harsh words earlier.

Cheers!