Server restart - 20/06/2019 Read more... ×
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Varian_Dorn

Exeter - guns highly ineffective at times?

46 comments in this topic

Players
198 posts
8,829 battles

So I just had this fight, close combat. Me in my Exeter, 203 mm guns, AP rounds. My opponent a Furutaka. He's Maybe 4 - 5 kilometers away. Shows full broadside to me, I fire, score at least one hit dead centre….

… for about 400 damage. Normal penetration.

This repeated itself a few times until my Exeter was destroyed by him and another Furutaka. With that one target I continuously fired upon barely receiving damage. Only once did I score a solid hit with about 4500 Damage on his forward superstructure. Most of the time though, no matter how much he exposed to me, no matter how well I aimed and how many shots connected…. 3 digit damage hits.

Even the Furutaka skipper was baffled.

So, maybe it's just me here, buuuut… is it possible that, somehow, either Exeter has the worst 203 mm guns imaginable for a tier 5 ship or did Wargaming once again just [edited]up here? I'm at a loss, literally.

EDIT: replaced "get" with "score" in line 1 for more clarity.

• Boring 1

[JRM]
[JRM]
Players
1,852 posts
15,877 battles

M8 load up taco im the techtree and look at her armour sheme and then you will understand the problem, that is also my beef with the armour sheme on the exeter herself, that armor (or lack thereoff) is all fine and dandy on rn cls that have the bloody smoke and the ship was obviously designed around having it and then it was removed (muh balans) but nothing really got changed in its armour to compensate it, I mean ffs kirov (renown as the toughest cruiser around, oh wait) has more plate then her, having heal is not really the compensation since there is only so much you can heal in a given amount of time and alltogether while if something bounced off it didnt do any damage to begin with

• Cool 5

[THROW]
Players
781 posts
21,969 battles

cant believe anyone has bought the ship for 25 quid. 

• Funny 2

Players
81 posts
7,211 battles

As collector i had to score him.. But for a heavy cruiser it's armor is really light, angled i went from 90% to 0% in one salvo of a BB on 9km. I was expecting a more sturdy ship or i was just unlucky.

• Cool 2

Players
1,922 posts
10,589 battles
13 minutes ago, Onsterfelijke said:

As collector i had to score him.. But for a heavy cruiser it's armor is really light, angled i went from 90% to 0% in one salvo of a BB on 9km. I was expecting a more sturdy ship or i was just unlucky.

Gun caliber determine whether a cruiser is heavy or light, not the armour.

Players
198 posts
8,829 battles

Maybe you guys didn't really read AND think. I wasn't asking about Exeters armor, I was asking about her GUNS.

The shooting things.

Please really READ my initial posting again, thanks.

EDIT: to sum it up, it's about me, using Exeter with AP rounds, being unable to deal any noteworthy damage to a Furutaka, who was showing broadside, despite me hitting him several times dead center.

• Cool 1

Players
5,024 posts
6,146 battles

Don't fight 1v2 against the one cruiser that can actually murder your ship for a start.

25 minutes ago, Yedwy said:

M8 load up taco im the techtree and look at her armour sheme and then you will understand the problem, that is also my beef with the armour sheme on the exeter herself, that armor (or lack thereoff) is all fine and dandy on rn cls that have the bloody smoke and the ship was obviously designed around having it and then it was removed (muh balans) but nothing really got changed in its armour to compensate it, I mean ffs kirov (renown as the toughest cruiser around, oh wait) has more plate then her, having heal is not really the compensation since there is only so much you can heal in a given amount of time and alltogether while if something bounced off it didnt do any damage to begin with

Both Kirov and Exeter get overmatched through the bow. Yes, Kirov has a better upper side belt, where it is 18 mm and not 13 mm, but doesn't really matter, because any good Furutaka with its pinpoint accuracy will snipe your bow and if you show side, 18 mm holds off nothing and the Exeter citadel is way smaller than Kirov's. Only T5 cruiser that won't eat cits from the front (not even from T5 BBs in this case) is the Krasny Krim. But that ship deserves getting some strengths.

• Cool 1

Players
198 posts
8,829 battles

…. I'm starting to believe that reading comprehension is no longer taught in schools.

• Funny 3

[JRM]
[JRM]
Players
1,852 posts
15,877 battles

Dude your question is answered by understanding what you shot at, becouse if he angles al least some he will bounce lots of your shells off while you cant bounce his, but ok if you want to discuss the guns per se - they are fine, acctually the only really good thing on it imho

Players
245 posts

Same issue - multiple good hits on light cruisers and get low damage. My Duca rips them apart in similar circumstances  

Beta Tester
1,259 posts
8,029 battles
8 minutes ago, Varian_Dorn said:

Maybe you guys didn't really read AND think. I wasn't asking about Exeters armor, I was asking about her GUNS.

The shooting things.

Please really READ my initial posting again, thanks.

EDIT: to sum it up, it's about me, using Exeter with AP rounds, being unable to deal any noteworthy damage to a Furutaka, who was showing broadside, despite me hitting him several times dead center.

Hey my friend, all fine ...

Only had 2 fast batles last night and I would not complain about anything about the ship.

Armor > obvious. It is what it is, a british light cruiser with big guns

Guns > bigger than the standard at T5 but definitely ranking 3d behind Kirov and Furutaka.

I did not have any problems last night to stack 5-6 citadells in each battle, but it only works vs broadside cruisers. Even a slight angle prevents the citatel.

To be honest, my very first impression was a bit disappointing , too, but you have to remind yourself, its not an US T7+ cruiser oder a german equivalent.

And its not historically approved stalinium guns :Smile_veryhappy:

So, for me its fine. Workable, not OP, not UP, a fine litle ship. You have to work with it, it will reward you not gifts for free ...  :Smile_Default:

Players
1,520 posts
8,382 battles

RNG and aim, I think. You can citadel Furutaka with light cruiser guns from 6k away. I have this feature built in to my aim but generally its best not to try the same place twice if the first salvo was ineffective. 

1 minute ago, gustywinds said:

Same issue - multiple good hits on light cruisers and get low damage. My Duca rips them apart in similar circumstances  

Duca's AP has a much higher velocity than Exeter, and will rip into anything at short range. Even BBs can be citadelled.

• Cool 1

Players
198 posts
8,829 battles

To clarify this even more: my target, a Furutaka, was about 4 km away, showing me FULL BROADSIDE. I fired at him with AP rounds and hit at least (!) 1 shot dead center in his broadside, registring as a normal "Penetration". Damage scored: about 400.

From a hit that should have dealt 10 times the amount.

[JRM]
[JRM]
Players
1,852 posts
15,877 battles

If it was 400-ish damage with an ap shell it was overpen

[BS4]
Players
932 posts
5,785 battles
43 minutes ago, Yedwy said:

THIS...

This ship has been butchered for tier 5 period...rn cruisers survivability depend on the smoke they were given to counter there paper thin armour....and WG remove it? This proves that WG know nothing about balance....

10 minutes ago, Varian_Dorn said:

…. I'm starting to believe that reading comprehension is no longer taught in schools.

ME ME ME....It's not the guns that are the problem hence why no one has awnsered your question...To answer your question no because I'm scoring multiple citadels on everything Inc BB,'s belive it or not....I'm just not surviving long enough in the game to do any major contribution because I have a ridicoulous reload time and no smoke....this doesn't feel like an RN cruiser to me at all....

Players
198 posts
8,829 battles

I get that RNG plays a role here, as well as the precise angle and several more factors. I noticed already that Exeters guns are not very consistent in their damage output... but the scenario with that Furutaka, practically at point blank range offering me his full broadside… and yet Exeters guns hit him as if I'm in a T4 DD firing HE. That's the issue here.

Players
198 posts
8,829 battles
2 minutes ago, Yedwy said:

If it was 400-ish damage with an ap shell it was overpen

… except it didn't register as an overpen, but as a normal penetration.

[IDDQD]
Players
230 posts
8,292 battles

its a very unforgiving ship with no defense and unfortunately guns also feel very inconsistent.

if some masochists for some reason enjoy playing T5 cruisers, Furutaka is definitely better pick, good players will also most likely do better in Emerald or Kirov, or even Krym

but hey, its T5 freemium, so its expected

[JRM]
[JRM]
Players
1,852 posts
15,877 battles

Well only way normal pen does less then 1/3 nominal damage is if the module/section you hit didnt have more then that amount left

Players
1,520 posts
8,382 battles

It may well be that Exeter has the RN short Fuse AP. This makes it more likely to stick in the citadel of a lightly armoured target but more likely to explode earlier against an armoured one like the Furutaka. 

Players
198 posts
8,829 battles
Just now, RAYvenMP said:

its a very unforgiving ship with no defense and unfortunately guns also feel very inconsistent.

if some masochists for some reason enjoy playing T5 cruisers, Furutaka is definitely better pick, good players will also most likely do better in Emerald of Kirov, or even Krym

but hey, its T5 freemium, so its expected

They are selling the damn thing for money as well. And regardless of if you can get it for free or not, it should at least have an artillery mechanic you can wrap your brain around. But her guns, despite their good caliber, just seem to deal damage as they please, regardless of circumstance.

And that ain't acceptable, even for a free ship. And even more so when someone actually paid for this.

Players
198 posts
8,829 battles
3 minutes ago, Yedwy said:

Well only way normal pen does less then 1/3 nominal damage is if the module/section you hit didnt have more then that amount left

The target Furutaka barely had received any major hits, certainly not enough to "drain" the areas I hit of such a staggering amount of hp without affecting the ships total hp.

Players
198 posts
8,829 battles
4 minutes ago, invicta2012 said:

It may well be that Exeter has the RN short Fuse AP. This makes it more likely to stick in the citadel of a lightly armoured target but more likely to explode earlier against an armoured one like the Furutaka. 

… so her high caliber guns basically have the effect of… pea shooters against ships that…. hold on, Furutaka isn't even that powerful regarding her armor. Plus I dealt more damage under similar circumstances against a battleship.

4,287 posts
8,794 battles

The thing is: You can overpenetrate citadels. So if you hit the citadel (safe to assume if you hit it dead center), than your shells had still enough velocity left to go through the width of the Furry Taco before detonating on the outside on the far side of her.

Players
2,982 posts
3,358 battles
5 minutes ago, Varian_Dorn said:

The target Furutaka barely had received any major hits, certainly not enough to "drain" the areas I hit of such a staggering amount of hp without affecting the ships total hp.

Mate I had it, shot a Furataka in my New York from <10km - expecting a devstrike. 

Meagre damage... it's not the ammo, it's the Furry Taco.