You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
FukushuNL

Another radar ship

27 comments in this topic

[BODEM]
Players
257 posts
5,124 battles

1 Day and I'm already done with the Alaska. I was interested in getting her as I haven't gotten any of the other BC yet, but nowadays, between the English cruisers, the Russian cruisers and the American cruisers, I am permaspotted when trying to contest a cap. And now we have another radar ship in our midst. I did a game in my Jutland and have been camping an island for like 5 minutes, no kidding, because I had a continuous radar icon above my ship. If the Neptune's radar was on cooldown, the Worcester went on, followed by the Alaskas. I now refuse to buy the ship as I don't want to be putting other DD captains in that position. I'll wait for the Asuma or the T10 Japanese.

• Cool 2
  • Boring 3
  • Bad 1

[TOXIC]
Players
4,490 posts
11,458 battles
9 minutes ago, ColonelPete said:

What did you expect?

An US cruiser without radar?

Then again, Radars got buffed across the board this patch (range buffs for USN Radars below t10 and duration buffs for soviet ones regardless of tier) AND Alaska is a new addition so everyone and their dog plays the thing now. The environment is pretty damn hostile to DDs right now (unless you like max-range HE spamming in various gunboats) even when you don't meet CVs.

• Cool 2

[SWTP]
Players
794 posts
8,041 battles

Now when every potato and his mom can chain radars it can be interesting for DD.  Games without support from BBs are very frustrating. Do not know if is it good to promote teamwork, or not in a game where a team is a bunch of totally random people with different ideas about the aim of the game.

• Cool 1

[CATS]
Players
17,349 posts
11,710 battles
3 minutes ago, eliastion said:

The environment is pretty damn hostile to DDs right now (unless you like max-range HE spamming in various gunboats) even when you don't meet CVs.

And is that surprising that a new ship gets played, especially with all the hype?

• Funny 1

[TOXIC]
Players
4,490 posts
11,458 battles
5 minutes ago, ColonelPete said:

And is that surprising that a new ship gets played, especially with all the hype?

Where did I say it was surprising? I merely stated the facts. Alaska got introduced and there's load of her sailing around, Radars of other cruisers got buffed, flooding got nerfed... Basically, being a DD sucks more than usual. Which is the frustration expressed by OP in his opening post.

• Cool 3

[SWTP]
Players
794 posts
8,041 battles
3 minuty temu, eliastion napisał:

Where did I say it was surprising? I merely stated the facts. Alaska got introduced and there's load of her sailing around, Radars of other cruisers got buffed, flooding got nerfed... Basically, being a DD sucks more than usual. Which is the frustration expressed by OP in his opening post.

It is, T10-8 lots of radar, some CVs, T7 poor concealment vs T8s plus CVs, T6 CV or 2 every battle. I started to play CCs mostly, not much fun in camping with DDs.

[CATS]
Players
17,349 posts
11,710 battles
1 hour ago, eliastion said:

Either you can deal with it or play something else in the meantime. The situation is temporary.

[TOXIC]
Players
4,490 posts
11,458 battles
4 hours ago, ColonelPete said:

Either you can deal with it or play something else in the meantime. The situation is temporary.

Neither the flooding nerf nor Radar buffs are, though. And while a new Radar cruisers certainly won't retain "release" popularity, that's still one more "Radar" option thrown into the mix. When a player wants to play a t9+ premium (to farm credits or whatever), the options are:

- Missouri (Radar)

- Musashi

- Kronshtadt (Radar)

- Jean Bart

- Black (Radar)

- Alaska (Radar)

- Salem (Radar)

- Stalingrad (Radar)

I could've missed something, but that seems to be the current selection (things that either were or are available) so OP's complaint that "another t9 premium = another Radar" does have some merit.

Although, admittedly, there is on the horizon the perspective of a t9+ premium cruiser(!) that probably won't have Radar. That will be the first one like this, though.

• Cool 4

[JRM]
Players
1,881 posts
15,938 battles

Interestinly enough i was sitting in Alaska yesterday ina a perfect position to rain doom upon 4 enemy ships that broadsided past the cap some 15km away but despite 3 dds and a cv i had to move without firing a single shot couse noone spoted them long enough to aim, also i had to call out to friendly yugumo to cap the bloody c cap, like im there in a radar supercruser right on the cap edge with you, also you see the message that I am using radar and there is nothing there, wth are you waiting for

[NWP]
Players
2,008 posts
13,093 battles

And you needed a new topic on radar because the sticky topic wasn't enough?

Players
300 posts
3,327 battles
22 hours ago, eliastion said:

Then again, Radars got buffed across the board this patch (range buffs for USN Radars below t10 and duration buffs for soviet ones regardless of tier) AND Alaska is a new addition so everyone and their dog plays the thing now. The environment is pretty damn hostile to DDs right now (unless you like max-range HE spamming in various gunboats) even when you don't meet CVs.

*cough* 20km shima skillwalls

Players
5,052 posts
6,232 battles
16 hours ago, eliastion said:

Neither the flooding nerf nor Radar buffs are, though. And while a new Radar cruisers certainly won't retain "release" popularity, that's still one more "Radar" option thrown into the mix. When a player wants to play a t9+ premium (to farm credits or whatever), the options are:

- Missouri (Radar)

- Musashi

- Kronshtadt (Radar)

- Jean Bart

- Black (Radar)

- Alaska (Radar)

- Salem (Radar)

- Stalingrad (Radar)

I could've missed something, but that seems to be the current selection (things that either were or are available) so OP's complaint that "another t9 premium = another Radar" does have some merit.

Although, admittedly, there is on the horizon the perspective of a t9+ premium cruiser(!) that probably won't have Radar. That will be the first one like this, though.

Also Neustrashimy has many consumables, but radar is not one of them.

[TOXIC]
Players
4,490 posts
11,458 battles
6 minutes ago, Noobsplatter said:

*cough* 20km shima skillwalls

Someone willing to load up 20km torps on the Shima is doing enough harm to themselves that it really doesn't matter if they are less affected by some change in the meta or another :Smile_sceptic:

• Cool 1

[TOXIC]
Players
4,490 posts
11,458 battles
2 minutes ago, Seiranko said:

Also Neustrashimy has many consumables, but radar is not one of them.

She's also not a cruiser. I mean, are we actually going to be impressed by the fact that a premium t9+ DD won't have Radar? This should be the obvious thing, the fact that you even mention it shows how bad things are in this regard.

• Cool 1

Players
5,052 posts
6,232 battles
1 minute ago, eliastion said:

She's also not a cruiser. I mean, are we actually going to be impressed by the fact that a premium t9+ DD won't have Radar? This should be the obvious thing, the fact that you even mention it shows how bad things are in this regard.

So far, 100% of premium cruisers got radar. One could similarly be unsurprised about an IJN cruiser not carrying radar.

Players
300 posts
3,327 battles
3 minutes ago, eliastion said:

Someone willing to load up 20km torps on the Shima is doing enough harm to themselves that it really doesn't matter if they are less affected by some change in the meta or another :Smile_sceptic:

I beg to differ as long as we speak weekends. Even nabbed several Z52`s that evening :cap_haloween:

shimalols.thumb.png.c1203275853521fbadc39d0beec94fb2.png

[NSVE]
Players
158 posts
8,989 battles
20 hours ago, Seiranko said:

So far, 100% of premium cruisers got radar. One could similarly be unsurprised about an IJN cruiser not carrying radar.

HMS Exeter doesn't have radar...

Players
5,052 posts
6,232 battles
1 minute ago, iFax said:

HMS Exeter doesn't have radar...

In this context we were debating T9 freemiums. Exeter is a T5 premium.

[NSVE]
Players
158 posts
8,989 battles
On 3/2/2019 at 6:21 PM, Seiranko said:

In this context we were debating T9 freemiums. Exeter is a T5 premium.

Then say that in the title.

[CRU_]
Players
173 posts
6,506 battles

The latest line i went up is the US DD line, as a DD main that's pretty laughable actually, but i waas screing around with so many other lines. My first DD line was the IJN, which i recommend for new players who like DDs as it teaches the most important aspect of DDs, concealment. Well i just got to the Fletcher, my stats the whole line have been massively inflated by the fact that i know how to DD now, so the line is all around 60 to 70% WR, but i've been doing this line in the age of radar cruisers, the point of that to me is, a lot of players [edited] and whine when the reality is a git gud problem, the danger is that that leads to WG nerfing the game to please the lowest common denominator, which essentially is self destructive as it leads to a crap game, and exodus of players, resulting in game death.

I'm not saying you are bad, but i only realized i didn't know crap about how to DD in my first ranked season. I got to rank 5 without issue, easily actually, but the rest of the season i didn't get past rank 5. There was a reason for that, the pool of players in rank 5+ was different from the pool below that, i wasn't good enough for that pool, and i learnt a massive amount from my trial and mainly error in playing at that cusp. DD play has got a lot more difficult, and i believe cv vs DD needs better balance, but really dude, look at what you can do better first.

Not Editing my spelling cause i have a lot of rum on board, but editing to add something more constructive. If you want to play DDs, learn your maps more. There is a reason there are islands at the edge of caps, and sometimes in caps. these are radar armour. Go to the cap expecting radar, though you should always look at the team composition before hand. Setup to defend against radar, and an enemy DD counter cap when you first contact the cap. Your contact will draw radar, and potentially torps. Defend against that. Play the cap through it's cycle, with your objective being to cause the defeat of the enemy DD who is in direct opposition to you. Via direct damage or setting him up to take damage from your support. It's cat and mouse dude, if you defeat the enemy DD in your cap, you've done your job, and usually that will lead to a win.

[PEC]
Players
344 posts
1,785 battles

On 3/1/2019 at 5:20 AM, Yedwy said:

Interestinly enough i was sitting in Alaska yesterday ina a perfect position to rain doom upon 4 enemy ships that broadsided past the cap some 15km away but despite 3 dds and a cv i had to move without firing a single shot couse noone spoted them long enough to aim, also i had to call out to friendly yugumo to cap the bloody c cap, like im there in a radar supercruser right on the cap edge with you, also you see the message that I am using radar and there is nothing there, wth are you waiting for

Waiting for all the enemy radar ships to die. Herein lies the issue. You can light up the cap offensively all you want and scream for your DD's to yolo in there, but the second the cap looks to be entered - the enemy radar lights up and the DD dies while the friendly cruiser reverses back behind it's rock. Capping is for the mid-late game now, if at all. DD's are more likely to flank and farm damage and that's on WG, not the DD's.

• Cool 3

[BODEM]
Players
257 posts
5,124 battles
7 hours ago, WynnZeroOne said:

Waiting for all the enemy radar ships to die. Herein lies the issue. You can light up the cap offensively all you want and scream for your DD's to yolo in there, but the second the cap looks to be entered - the enemy radar lights up and the DD dies while the friendly cruiser reverses back behind it's rock. Capping is for the mid-late game now, if at all. DD's are more likely to flank and farm damage and that's on WG, not the DD's.

Perfectly summerised. 

• Cool 1