Server restart - 20/06/2019 Read more... ×
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Arakus

This new "Whoosh" sound!

33 comments in this topic

[1DSF]
Beta Tester
1,470 posts
4,556 battles

Hi,

in the 0.8.1 update we have this new "whoosh" sound whis is played when you enter queue, then again when the player overwiew before battle is shown, and again when you enter the battle, and at last when the starting time is over!

And last but not least when the battle is finished and the port is shown again it plays again!

This sound is terrible and annoying!

Pls give us a button to switch it off!

• Cool 12

[SCRUB]
Players
8,144 posts
10,647 battles

Said the same in the update feedback thread. Worst thing is I can't find a way to tone its volume down to bearable levels without silencing basically everything else, because whoever in his/her infinite wisdom included that sound effect into the game has apparently not tied it to any volume level slider that isn't general volume.

It's obnoxiously loud and the frequency with which you're going to hear it throughout a gaming sessions is incredibly annoying!

• Cool 5

[XTREM]
[XTREM]
Players
380 posts
10,072 battles

Honestly, I haven't noticed the whooshing, what I did notice though was that the engine telegraph and helm sounds seem much louder than before, a bit too loud and there's no way to adjust it without lowering everything else. 

Someone made a topic about that already.

KLINK KLONK, KLING KHLONK

• Cool 1
  • Funny 4

Players
170 posts
7,460 battles

I found it funny that we can't even describe the names of those particular sounds and the forum is full of that: "WHOOSH" sound, "KLICK KLOCK", "ZOOM BOOM" etc. and we need to figure out about which one (with help of description) we are even talking :Smile_veryhappy:

• Cool 1
  • Funny 2

[BW-UK]
Beta Tester
726 posts
5,503 battles

I may want to add that the sound bug of a random 1 second chainsaw at full blast is terrifying.

The other sound bug of throwing a bowling ball into 500 tin cans on ship rocket impact is very funny.

Also the buggy Kung Fu random sound kicks make me think of Bruce Lee.

[BFS]
Beta Tester
1,134 posts
6,705 battles

i also went looking in the options to see if it was possible to reduce the noise of these interface (?) sounds.   It seems I am not the only one.

[TTT]
Players
4,294 posts
7,937 battles

huh... weird... even after seeing this thread and specifically listening for it, I did not notice any new "woosh" sound... did get some of the other aural annoyances described though, including the idiotically loud helm plink-plonk and the occasional War of the Worlds Deathnoise...

• Cool 1

Beta Tester
187 posts
6,822 battles

its for the alt tab crowd that spend their play time doing other stuff, kids these days cant do just one thing ya know, have to watch streams listen music do homework while playing so yeah, needs a special wooosh to grab some attention, also explains the gaming quality they do much at once and therefore fail at doing it .

[SCRUB]
Players
8,144 posts
10,647 battles
17 minutes ago, Tyrendian89 said:

huh... weird... even after seeing this thread and specifically listening for it, I did not notice any new "woosh" sound... did get some of the other aural annoyances described though, including the idiotically loud helm plink-plonk and the occasional War of the Worlds Deathnoise...

Pretty sure he means the sound you get the game finished loading something. Loading into port, battle queue, match, switching ports around (which obviously requires loading), etc. ... you will have heard it, it's just that the less musically inclined people of us have trouble coming up with an unmistaking onomatopoeia for the sound effect.

[TTT]
Players
4,294 posts
7,937 battles
1 minute ago, Aotearas said:

Pretty sure he means the sound you get the game finished loading something. Loading into port, battle queue, match, switching ports around (which obviously requires loading), etc. ... you will have heard it, it's just that the less musically inclined people of us have trouble coming up with an unmistaking onomatopoeia for the sound effect.

no, I was listening for something unusual at all of those points - didnt notice anything... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

[SCRUB]
Players
8,144 posts
10,647 battles
18 minutes ago, Tyrendian89 said:

no, I was listening for something unusual at all of those points - didnt notice anything... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

That's odd then. Because with the patch reseting all audio settings to default due to changing audio stuff, the first thing you should've heard loading into the port for the first time after applying the patch would be exactly that.

Had me nearly rip my headphones off my ears even though I had already started guesstimating my previous audio settings in the log-in screen settings.

Are you perhaps running any audio mods?

Actually, give me a couple minutes, I'll just pop my OBS and record it ... there we go:

Showing my audio settings and briefly lowering sfx and interface audio volume (what you'd expect to use to tone down a sound effect tied to loading stuff ...) to show the sound effect volume isn't effected. Only general volume level seems to work but you can only tone that one down so much before everything else you actually want to hear gets too muted.

• Cool 1

[TTT]
Players
4,294 posts
7,937 battles
32 minutes ago, Aotearas said:

That's odd then. Because with the patch reseting all audio settings to default due to changing audio stuff, the first thing you should've heard loading into the port for the first time after applying the patch would be exactly that.

Had me nearly rip my headphones off my ears even though I had already started guesstimating my previous audio settings in the log-in screen settings.

Are you perhaps running any audio mods?

Actually, give me a couple minutes, I'll just pop my OBS and record it ... there we go:

Showing my audio settings and briefly lowering sfx and interface audio volume (what you'd expect to use to tone down a sound effect tied to loading stuff ...) to show the sound effect volume isn't effected. Only general volume level seems to work but you can only tone that one down so much before everything else you actually want to hear gets too muted.

ah, thanks now I know which sound you mean. Oddly enough, on my end that one isnt particularly loud or annoying... or maybe I've just been to too many metal concerts and have gone half-deaf in that particular range :Smile_teethhappy:

• Funny 1

[PEC]
Players
332 posts
1,750 battles

All the muzak got turned back on in settings this update too... 

[GOES4]
Players
90 posts
11,627 battles
13 horas antes, Arakus dijo:

Hi,

in the 0.8.1 update we have this new "whoosh" sound whis is played when you enter queue, then again when the player overwiew before battle is shown, and again when you enter the battle, and at last when the starting time is over!

And last but not least when the battle is finished and the port is shown again it plays again!

This sound is terrible and annoying!

Pls give us a button to switch it off!

I completely agree. 

[DAVY]
[DAVY]
1,621 posts
6,068 battles

some people may love or like that effect,
but I want to be able to turn it off,

why no option for turning it off?? really amazes me.. :)

[BIF]
Players
111 posts
2,557 battles

I got this sound patches ago randomly at the start of the battle. Asked the others, they had it too.

[HEAT]
Players
1,110 posts
32,158 battles

The audio needs real fixing. All I hear now is "Whooosh".

[SKIDZ]
Beta Tester
174 posts
7,510 battles

Another thumbs up for a button to turn it off.  What's it even supposed to be?

[-MM]
Weekend Tester
144 posts
3,550 battles

Rocket attack and small calibre AP hitting now sounds like someone throwing marbles at a sheet of corrugated steel.

Colliding with another ship = max volume white noise / death metal riff

Torpedo reload sounds like they dropped the thing down several flights of stairs 

Small AA guns sounds seems to have been lifted directly from an Amiga

Odd, but after a while I stopped noticing it 

[BLADA]
Alpha Tester
50 posts
3,456 battles
24 minutes ago, Scarebird said:

Another thumbs up for a button to turn it off.  What's it even supposed to be?

^^  This  ^^

Weekend Tester
592 posts
5,611 battles

On a similar note, I get a sort of musical "gameshow jingle" sequence after certain events in port - even though i have all music sliders set to off.

Also, although I too get the three or four "whooshes" whilst entering a game (and incredibly loud ships' telegraph noise), when exiting a finished game there is deathly silence - no win/loss tune.

[XODUS]
Players
791 posts
4,757 battles

i honestly thought this was a comment about deadlines for a moment. 

Image result for whooshing sound deadlines

[WJDE]
Beta Tester
555 posts
8,741 battles

Stop 👏 adding 👏 sounds 👏 nobody 👏 asked 👏 for 👏 or 👏 at 👏 least 👏 give 👏 us 👏 control 👏 over 👏 them 👏 ffs!

I gave up trying to mute the music from the battle result screen (the one you get immidiately after battle), that's infuriating when you have your own music at full blast in foobar or something and then suddenly earrape because HURR DURR.