Jump to content
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Smudge

Shokaku help.

21 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

[NEM]
Players
4 posts
2,792 battles

Can Anyone please tell me how i'm suppose to be successful with the Tier 8 Shokaku. 

I'm constantly up tiered in it, and i'm finding it impossible to do any damage to anything, I have the Lexington, and my games vary, some up tiered games I get melted, then some I do pretty well without really doing anything different. 
In the Shokaku I just can't seem to be effective at all, even attacking relatively weak AA ships I can't get close to them, my planes are just melting, then when I do manage to get on target I'm not causing hardly any damage. The ship just seems completely useless in the current environment. 

 

Does anyone have (useful) tips on how to use this CV? or is it just a badly balanced CV? 

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
5,521 posts
8,172 battles
46 minutes ago, DreadArchangel said:

You can't. Stick to the tier 6 till they fix it.

Unfortunately this. Besides generic "play spotter and try to harass solo targets" you can't do much else.

 

Pre air camo buff you could at least spec for stealth and stealth spot T10 cruisers with hope of teammates shooting the red ones instead each other.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Weekend Tester
792 posts

The kaga is able to play in the higher tiers mainly because of the amount of planes she has on deck, 3 squadrens of torp bombers, so if you lose one you can launch another right away, very handy.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
282 posts
8,168 battles

I played the Ryujo a lot, and it felt like a very fine tier 6. Great torps, and the others are OK'ish. However, when I eventually got Shokaku I was really, really underwhelmed. 

 

Comparing to Ryujo, in Shokaku you get stronger attack planes and dive bombers, but the torpedo bombers are still only two per attack. So the weaknesses of the Ryujo get better but the main strength doesn't. Being thrown to tier 8 makes it feel like you really have no strengths at all. 

 

The Lex in comparison felt immediately strong in T8. It up-tiers just fine. I haven't bothered to check the numbers, but in practice, everything available on the Lexington's deck feels better or equal to the Shokaku equivalent. 

 

I think it's fine that you're still stuck with only two torpedo bombers. However, the torps should hit like a freight train to make up for it. It would make it competetive (although tricky), yet keep it different from Lexington. Currently if I play the other ship classes and see a squadron from a Shokaku, I'm just never afraid. 

 

Also, based on what I'm hearing about Hakuryu, I'm just not motivated to play the Shokaku right now. These two boats really need some love. 

  • Cool 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[BHSFL]
[BHSFL]
Players
1,925 posts
6,141 battles

Japanese divebombers drop AP bombs which are useless against  targets without armour - they just fall through them - so drop these on BB as a rule of thumb.These bombs do not cause fire. 

 

US divebombers drop HE bombs which can cause fire. They are more dependable actually causing some damage, but the Japanese have a chance on citadelling the target.

 

For the rest they should be pretty much similair.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
5,521 posts
8,172 battles
Just now, Beastofwar said:

Japanese divebombers drop AP bombs which are useless against  targets without armour - they just fall through them - so drop these on BB as a rule of thumb.These bombs do not cause fire. 

 

US divebombers drop HE bombs which can cause fire. They are more dependable actually causing some damage, but the Japanese have a chance on citadelling the target.

 

For the rest they should be pretty much similair.

You can quite reliably score citadels on cruisers if you drop bombs late. But if you overdo that, you risk bombs bouncing off. But against BB in training room environment I was able to reliably citadel only German BB (to be expected) and NC, assuming bombs hit the deck and avoided superstructure. Monarch/Richy/Amagi were at best unreliable while anything bigger was futile endeavor.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[DREAD]
Players
6,677 posts
5,542 battles
1 hour ago, Smudge said:

Can Anyone please tell me how i'm suppose to be successful with the Tier 8 Shokaku. 

I'm constantly up tiered in it, and i'm finding it impossible to do any damage to anything, I have the Lexington, and my games vary, some up tiered games I get melted, then some I do pretty well without really doing anything different. 
In the Shokaku I just can't seem to be effective at all, even attacking relatively weak AA ships I can't get close to them, my planes are just melting, then when I do manage to get on target I'm not causing hardly any damage. The ship just seems completely useless in the current environment. 

 

Does anyone have (useful) tips on how to use this CV? or is it just a badly balanced CV? 

 

Well as stated above: don’t play these until WG fixes this idiotic overbuffed AA :-(

  • Cool 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[M_OB]
Players
500 posts
4,258 battles
27 minutes ago, 1MajorKoenig said:

 

Well as stated above: don’t play these until WG fixes this idiotic overbuffed AA :-(

 

Dont count on them ever doing that. The problem is if they nerf AA unicum players will be OP. If they dont the average joe will have very little success in CVs.

I was skeptical aswell, but the only ship I have real issues striking is the Minotaur, and apparently its AA is/was bugged. Other than that I think CVs, or atleast US CVs are good as they are.

IJN CVs seems to need a buff to its AP bombs so they get more consistant damage, less overpens and more citadels.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[DREAD]
Players
6,677 posts
5,542 battles
2 minutes ago, AdmiralDing3Ling said:

 

Dont count on them ever doing that. The problem is if they nerf AA unicum players will be OP. If they dont the average joe will have very little success in CVs.

I was skeptical aswell, but the only ship I have real issues striking is the Minotaur, and apparently its AA is/was bugged. Other than that I think CVs, or atleast US CVs are good as they are.

IJN CVs seems to need a buff to its AP bombs so they get more consistant damage, less overpens and more citadels.

 

I would prefer more health to IJN planes. They die too easy 

  • Cool 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[M_OB]
Players
500 posts
4,258 battles
4 minutes ago, 1MajorKoenig said:

 

I would prefer more health to IJN planes. They die too easy 

 

Sorry to say but youd probably be dissapointed if you thought US planes survived that much better. T10 Torp bombers only have 100 hp more than the Haku.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[ITA_C]
Players
287 posts
7,696 battles
42 minutes ago, 1MajorKoenig said:

 

Well as stated above: don’t play these until WG fixes this idiotic overbuffed AA :-(

They had already done that you missed it..? There is no hint from them that they are going in that direction instead they said that aa looks fine for them now.

Sadly jpn cv are unplayable but they do not realize that or just don't care

 

  • Cool 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[DREAD]
Players
6,677 posts
5,542 battles
1 minute ago, Torped1ne said:

They had already done that you missed it..? There is no hint from them that they are going in that direction instead they said that aa looks fine for them now.

Sadly jpn cv are unplayable but they do not realize that or just don't care

 

 

That is not how I understood MrConway - but if it’s the case it would be really sad and a serious waste of development effort 

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
282 posts
8,168 battles
On 2/28/2019 at 10:15 PM, asalonen said:

I think it's fine that you're still stuck with only two torpedo bombers. However, the torps should hit like a freight train to make up for it. It would make it competetive (although tricky), yet keep it different from Lexington. Currently if I play the other ship classes and see a squadron from a Shokaku, I'm just never afraid. 

 

Also, based on what I'm hearing about Hakuryu, I'm just not motivated to play the Shokaku right now. These two boats really need some love. 

 

Bad form responding to yourself, but... Just played the first two games with the Shokaku after today's 0.8.1.1 hotfix. As far as I'm concerned, Shokaku is now officially back in business! 

 

The torps aim quicker, you get more torp planes on the deck, and their repair consumable is better. Especially with the Flight Control Modification 1 you can just keep the attacks coming much better than before. It's now a joy to play, and pleasantly different from the USN line. Also, Hakuryu got essentially the same buffs.

 

image.thumb.png.199d8bd7fafb4838ef9538bee131de5c.png

 

image.thumb.png.0c0a0a5033b8ef2ec0e71a31e4c58984.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Beta Tester
190 posts
6,872 battles

for me shoka works best as late game killer, early/mid game its mostly spotting with a third of a rocket Squad, shoka shines when AA mounts are hurt/killed and ship captains are tired

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
3,510 posts
8,213 battles
19 hours ago, asalonen said:

 

Bad form responding to yourself, but... Just played the first two games with the Shokaku after today's 0.8.1.1 hotfix. As far as I'm concerned, Shokaku is now officially back in business! 

 

The torps aim quicker, you get more torp planes on the deck, and their repair consumable is better. Especially with the Flight Control Modification 1 you can just keep the attacks coming much better than before. It's now a joy to play, and pleasantly different from the USN line. Also, Hakuryu got essentially the same buffs.

 

image.thumb.png.199d8bd7fafb4838ef9538bee131de5c.png

 

image.thumb.png.0c0a0a5033b8ef2ec0e71a31e4c58984.png

Oh good. I may give my own Shokaku a spin soon to experience these changes for myself. I had kinda given up on her as it has basically been the only ship I ever played in WoWS that has me witness all my planes melting virtually instantly and made me literally throw my hand into the air "ok whatever, this is pointless, I don't know how to make this work ¯\_(ツ)_/¯"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
5,521 posts
8,172 battles
3 minutes ago, NothingButTheRain said:

Oh good. I may give my own Shokaku a spin soon to experience these changes for myself. I had kinda given up on her as it has basically been the only ship I ever played in WoWS that has me witness all my planes melting virtually instantly and made me literally throw my hand into the air "ok whatever, this is pointless, I don't know how to make this work ¯\_(ツ)_/¯"

Post hotfix I'd say she is back in action, with maxed camo IJN TB once more have niche of stealth spotting Woosters/Minotaurs 152mm AA cruisers, so if SHTF you can always go and play spooky:cap_haloween:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[SVX]
Beta Tester
433 posts
16,239 battles

Im glad I chose Lexington, it seems strong overall and HE bombs can do 12k dmg per strike while doing many fires. Its easy to do over 100k dmg per round and fighters sure can

nuke any dd and do fast, high dmg strikes to any ship. Jap AP bombs are a hit and miss for me, especially vs cvs and dds.

 

But really, doesnt shokaku get 3 torps per strike? surely? lexington does and jap cvs should be torp focused in my book.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
282 posts
8,168 battles
5 hours ago, gbgroger said:

But really, doesnt shokaku get 3 torps per strike? surely? lexington does and jap cvs should be torp focused in my book.

 

IJN torps are much easier to hit home. They swim a lot faster than USN torps, and now also aim faster than before. If you get a good attack run on a BB you usually hit both, and it's a lot easier to hit CA's and DD's.

 

With Lexington you can't dream of a similar torpedo hit rate, and you must (and you can) utilize other plane types more. Shokaku is very much a one-trick pony, in comparison, but now it feels effective.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[BHSFL]
[BHSFL]
Players
1,925 posts
6,141 battles
On 2/28/2019 at 9:24 PM, Panocek said:

You can quite reliably score citadels on cruisers if you drop bombs late. But if you overdo that, you risk bombs bouncing off. But against BB in training room environment I was able to reliably citadel only German BB (to be expected) and NC, assuming bombs hit the deck and avoided superstructure. Monarch/Richy/Amagi were at best unreliable while anything bigger was futile endeavor.

 

Yes German battlecruisers/pocket battleships are my favorites when it comes to dropping AP bombs, have seen citadel after citadel with every pass on them too.  But that is about the only target where AP bombs do not fall through with or without damage. Overall it's just a liability. I wish you could select bombs before takeoff or before the match.

 

I have of late interest in what happens if i actually can drop steady enough - not ripped to pieces by AA or fighter consumable - on turret roofs of BB. Seems like a good place to make the whole ship detonate when the bombs fall down there deep enough.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
5,521 posts
8,172 battles
3 minutes ago, Beastofwar said:

 

Yes German battlecruisers/pocket battleships are my favorites when it comes to dropping AP bombs, have seen citadel after citadel with every pass on them too.  But that is about the only target where AP bombs do not fall through with or without damage. Overall it's just a liability. I wish you could select bombs before takeoff or before the match.

Cruisers, especially hightier ones are easy to citadel as well, just drop bombs late (crosshair moves forward). I have to agree about them being extra useless against destroyers and too well protected battleboats.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×