Sign in to follow this  
the_british_admiral

Alaska, how to get the best from her

18 comments in this topic

[RNSF]
Beta Tester
86 posts
7,687 battles

what are going to be the best upgrades, consumables and captain skills to get the best from Alaska. how is everyone planning to rig her for battle.:cap_rambo:

[DUXTR]
Alpha Tester
734 posts

Atm I'm trying out different stuff.

Currently mounted: Main arm mod 1, Damage con mod 1, AA guns mod 1, prop mod 2, Concealment and Main battery mod 3

My captain is my DM captain and not built for survivability. But I got my Montana captain I can put in.

[SCRUB]
[SCRUB]
Beta Tester
2,444 posts
6,615 battles
2 hours ago, SirAmra said:

Atm I'm trying out different stuff.

Currently mounted: Main arm mod 1, Damage con mod 1, AA guns mod 1, prop mod 2, Concealment and Main battery mod 3

My captain is my DM captain and not built for survivability. But I got my Montana captain I can put in.

I put my DM captain for the 2 games I played in this morning in but the lack of fire prevention means it is not ideal as I think that will be something this ship has to deal with a lot due to its playstyle.  In my second game I got 2 fires on me, repaired and then sat watching 3 further fires burn me to about 3% HP before I skulked at the back healing what I could.

My Montana captain is a full AA build I haven't really used in a year so I feel I need another captain to make the most out of her (or at least re-skill my Montana captain).

Players
3,477 posts
8,165 battles
26 minutes ago, ilhilh said:

I put my DM captain for the 2 games I played in this morning in but the lack of fire prevention means it is not ideal as I think that will be something this ship has to deal with a lot due to its playstyle.  In my second game I got 2 fires on me, repaired and then sat watching 3 further fires burn me to about 3% HP before I skulked at the back healing what I could.

My Montana captain is a full AA build I haven't really used in a year so I feel I need another captain to make the most out of her (or at least re-skill my Montana captain).

I already noticed the decks of Alaska are filled with gasoline :fish_panic:

[ADRIA]
Players
518 posts
12,067 battles

Currently this:

2.thumb.jpg.2d5052e03278100cbb852c92895292e1.jpg

Preferably John Doe Captain.

I'll probably switch AA mod in slot 3 for accuracy mod.

[NWP]
[NWP]
Players
928 posts
7,450 battles
10 minutes ago, quickr said:

Currently this:

2.thumb.jpg.2d5052e03278100cbb852c92895292e1.jpg

Preferably John Doe Captain.

I'll probably switch AA mod in slot 3 for accuracy mod.

I was thinking about using my BB captain.

[ADRIA]
Players
518 posts
12,067 battles

Yeah, I think Monty cpt would work better than DesM cpt.

Players
2,063 posts
7,265 battles

Got her for free XP (thank god) but not played here yet.  

Simply because i'm having too much fun burning them down with Conqs/Harra's. Sorry but go try it..

Regarding captain skills, It's just if i want FP (CE is defo) or not.  Will have a few games and if burning alot then i will.

[TAW]
Players
141 posts
4,870 battles

What's the accuracy like on Alaska, is it worth trying the range mod in slot 6, GFCS2 to get that extra 16% ?

Players
5,022 posts
6,146 battles
2 minutes ago, Maihon said:

What's the accuracy like on Alaska, is it worth trying the range mod in slot 6, GFCS2 to get that extra 16% ?

No, it's not, imo. 19 km is typically sufficient and at 19 km, the combination of AP performance drop and shell flight time tells me that having 21 km range is not going to make the ship more useful. Much better to just go reload mod and cut that reload down.

As for modules, in general I run MAM1, Radar Mod, ASM1, SGM2, CSM1, MBM3 and it works fine. Captain skills I only got 11 points so far on John Doe and got basic PT, EM, SI, CE on it, as well as EL (because at -75%, this one pointer seems far too useful to postpone it on a ship that really wants correct ammunition choice). Likely will continue on with AR, BoS, JoAT and PM. I'm not too convinced on FP, as the ship has BB burn time, but with a cruiser repair party, it might be possible to get that CD down to make it manageable. If not, might try replace EM for HA and if that's not comfortable could try FP.

[GRKEN]
[GRKEN]
Players
636 posts
15,766 battles
38 minutes ago, Maihon said:

OK thx :)

Eh, you already have tier x ships that you're not performing well at all so I would recommend learning the basics at lower tiers if possible.  A high tier premium won't do you any favours.

• Cool 1

[-T-O-]
Alpha Tester, Players, In AlfaTesters
2,185 posts
6,367 battles

Players
5,022 posts
6,146 battles
On 2/28/2019 at 3:22 PM, Redcap375 said:

Simply because i'm having too much fun burning them down with Conqs/Harra's. Sorry but go try it..

Tbf, this isn't a real Alaska issue. There is no deck plating strong enough to hold off Conqueror HE and vs Harugumo, Alaska actually is the best T9 cruiser in survivability, due to 36 mm deck.

So, not exactly anything special here. What you are doing isn't exactly anything that is special or couldn't be done before to other ships.

Also, I'd like to point out, Harugumo is a ship you can actually overmatch and AP full pen. Real annoyance is Kitakaze and Tashkent or cruisers that understand the value of angling. Des Moines properly angled will give you hell, Zao/Ibuki properly dodging will be a massive pain, Henri too, as it can overcome your deck plate. Would still recommend this ship though, because when you get the right position and target, you can get splendid results. Alaska is kind of comfortable and forgiving, without being neither OP, nor a ship that is situational like Asashio, nor low skill floor, low skill ceiling like a max range Mongqueror. It reminds me a lot of the Graf Spee, which I also like a lot for similar reasons.

[TAW]
Players
141 posts
4,870 battles
On ‎3‎/‎1‎/‎2019 at 1:38 PM, tsounts said:

Eh, you already have tier x ships that you're not performing well at all so I would recommend learning the basics at lower tiers if possible.  A high tier premium won't do you any favours.

Nps, it's only a game, I enjoy playing it, I have some better games, I have some stinkers and as per just about everybody else I like new toys.

Players
668 posts
4,779 battles

I whapped my Monty captain John Doe (Segal was much cooler!) In Alaska. 

She's pretty neat I like her.

A credible threat and enough agility and speed to be cruiserish. 

Not many games but enough to make a Midway cap regret his life decisions and give me a grin. Wrecks dd's too.

On the whole a bit more versatile than Kron.

Sign in to follow this