Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Blixies

Use boost to slow down.

22 comments in this topic

[NWP]
Beta Tester, Players
1,638 posts
4,780 battles

"British torpedo bombers have good maneuverability but a relatively low cruising speed, which allows them to make an almost immediate U-turn by using Boost to slow down."

What is this technique, and how can one master it?
I have heard of tapping boost to prolong it's duration, I have seen a horse vomit, but I have never seen boosting to slow down. How ingenious!

[SCRUB]
Players
8,173 posts
10,706 battles

Everything that isn't standard cruising speed draws energy/fuel from your boost reserve. W(AAAAGH) for going fastah, and S for doing things that would make any cultured Orkboy call the Inquisition to report heresy.

• Cool 3
  • Funny 7

[SM0KE]
Players
3,001 posts
7,181 battles
8 minutes ago, Aotearas said:

S for doing things that would make any cultured Orkboy call the Inquisition to report heresy.

This made me laugh! <thumbs-up>

[BHSFL]
Players
1,925 posts
6,124 battles
26 minutes ago, Blixies said:

"British torpedo bombers have good maneuverability but a relatively low cruising speed, which allows them to make an almost immediate U-turn by using Boost to slow down."

I have heard of tapping boost to prolong it's duration, I have seen a horse vomit, but I have never seen boosting to slow down. How ingenious!

All aircraft can slow down and turn shorter in the game since rework.. If you use WASD it's just the S key together with A or D.  Slowing down makes all vehicles able to make a much shorter tighter turns, aicraft too.

Slowing down it uses the same recource as acclerating so when used up you cannot slow down. It is animated by the ailerons extending fully.

WG nerfed the tighter turning and nerfed the ability to fire rockets when coming out of that shorter turn as this was perticularly effective to fight small, speedy evasive targets like DD. So in the game as it is now it has become useless. Could change in the new update, but might be nerfed again.

• Cool 1

[JRM]
Players
1,881 posts
15,938 battles
26 minutes ago, Blixies said:

Keep S pressed and use A or D to turn together with the mouse, also alows you to still use rocket planes on a single pass if done properly (well unless he is closing distance at the momen rapidly), as soon as you see the dd you pres s to slow down for the aiming delay to pass and recticle to shrink...

• Cool 1

[ESPA]
Players
1,205 posts
6,958 battles
1 hour ago, Blixies said:

I have seen a horse vomit

It is physically impossible for horses to throw up!!!

ANd yeah, spending "boost" for slowing down makes no sense at all.

• Cool 1

[NWP]
Beta Tester, Players
1,638 posts
4,780 battles

I was not aware the slowing down uses up boost.

I guess it makes sense from balance perspective.

Thanks gents, once again I stand corrected.

P.S.:

6 minutes ago, Sargento_YO said:

It is physically impossible for horses to throw up!!!

It is a part of an old saying: "I have seen a snake take a p*ss, I have seen a horse vomit, but I have not seen anything like this before."

• Funny 1

Beta Tester
4,528 posts
9,851 battles

Aircraft with more engine power can use that engine power for shorter turns. Which is how USN planes would use their dominant engine performance over the IJN in the pacific, and also how the F-4 would (after pilots learned how) be able to outfight more nimble migs during Vietnam.

High_Yo-Yo_with_instruction_diagram.PNG

• Cool 1

Players
3,089 posts
14,041 battles
2 hours ago, Blixies said:

I have seen a horse vomit

Well, it's LIKE Horse vomit - but coming out of the other end.

It reminds me of Microsoft instructions for closing down the computer: "First, press the START key..."

[BW-UK]
Beta Tester
733 posts
5,551 battles
2 hours ago, Blixies said:

The CV Air-Squadron-Turns are in the game since the CV rework.

I call it "Speedbrake", braking and reducing the airspeed. It is a common technique for and with cross torping or to perform very precise bomb drops and works well with the Midway. The downside of reducing airspeed is the increased AA vulnerability.

In this video, you can see how I use the strong turn function, activated by pressing the "Y" key.

Airspeed braking decreases the amount of available turbo, indicated by green charge line on the shaped (

Mastering maneuvering allows dual or triple cross torping the same target or allows more precise bomb drops by reducing the airspeed.

The initial first torp run starts at 3:52 and is followed by a cross torp run, performing a strong turn.

• Cool 1

[NWP]
Beta Tester
1,409 posts
13,060 battles
2 hours ago, Aotearas said:

Everything that isn't standard cruising speed draws energy/fuel from your boost reserve. W(AAAAGH) for going fastah, and S for doing things that would make any cultured Orkboy call the Inquisition to report heresy.

559.jpg.330e7b4c03cc1696b20f73db27f34da4.jpg

• Funny 4

Players
82 posts
4,296 battles

In WW II, most fighter planes had an emergency throttle setting. which injected a water/methanol mixture. 

Using "boost" to slow down is a bit far fetched. I'd prefer to have a set of different speeds, like any other vessel.

[BHSFL]
Players
1,925 posts
6,124 battles
13 minutes ago, OnceBittenTwiceShy said:

In WW II, most fighter planes had an emergency throttle setting. which injected a water/methanol mixture. 

Using "boost" to slow down is a bit far fetched. I'd prefer to have a set of different speeds, like any other vessel.

Well "slowing down" could simulate using combat flaps to create more drag ( instead of the animated full ailerons only ) when you let your engine pull you through the turn.

Players
82 posts
4,296 battles
14 minutes ago, Beastofwar said:

Well "slowing down" could simulate using combat flaps to create more drag ( instead of the animated full ailerons only ) when you let your engine pull you through the turn.

There' are quite a few possibilities to make an aircraft turn tighter. Some of the later WW II fighters also sported automatically extending slats but that's not my point.  What I have an issue with is using "boost" both ways. Slowing down should not require any depleting source at all. It's like having to use the NoS bottle in your car, to brake. Makes absolutely no sense.  

[BHSFL]
Players
1,925 posts
6,124 battles
6 hours ago, OnceBittenTwiceShy said:

Makes absolutely no sense.  

It's a game, it needs balancing. You do realize there is little realistic about the whole game ?

[BW-UK]
Beta Tester
733 posts
5,551 battles

Midway plays great with the latest update :D

The speed feeling is back ! Yeah :)

IMHO all Midway weapon system are much more precise now.

The fun of 0.8 is back, at least for me...

Players
282 posts
8,168 battles
19 hours ago, Beastofwar said:

WG nerfed the tighter turning and nerfed the ability to fire rockets when coming out of that shorter turn as this was particularly effective to fight small, speedy evasive targets like DD. So in the game as it is now it has become useless.

Even after the nerf of 0.8.0.3 it's not completely useless, but just more difficult. Generally I can only hit the DD on the first run if I spotted him early due to the DD firing its guns. If I didn't hit or even didn't fire at him, I still saw where he was, and where he was heading and turning.

So for the second run, even if I temporarily lose sight of the DD, I try anticipate where he went. I start the second run aiming where I expect him to be, before I see him, and surprisingly often it's close enough to eventually get him in the crosshair. He only had a handful of seconds, and many just keep going straight. It's definitely worth a try if he's low-health, capping, or you just don't have a better thing to do.

• Cool 1

[SCRUB]
[SCRUB]
Beta Tester
1,595 posts
8,106 battles
11 hours ago, OnceBittenTwiceShy said:

There' are quite a few possibilities to make an aircraft turn tighter. Some of the later WW II fighters also sported automatically extending slats but that's not my point.  What I have an issue with is using "boost" both ways. Slowing down should not require any depleting source at all. It's like having to use the NoS bottle in your car, to brake. Makes absolutely no sense.  

It makes sense but only in space. Spacestations and rockets have throttleboosts on the side opposing the engine to give negative acceleration for slowing down or manuevering purpose. I guess this could also work with planes if they had small jetengines in the other direction if the planes could handle the strain of negative acceleration while in an atmosphere with air pressure.

Players
82 posts
4,296 battles

Well, it also works in water since a ship has to turn it'd screws in the opposite direction to rapidly slow down. We are talking about WW 2 aircraft. The only means for them to slow down - besides reducing power - are aerodynamic. Flaps, slats etc. None of them requires any sort of fuel. 

I know, this is an arcade game. I know about "balance" but some things just don't make sense. If they absolutely have to shoehorn some kind of nerf into every aircraft mechanic, they could give aircraft some  (wildly exaggerated of course) time for deploying / retracting airbrakes.

[GOLD]
Players
903 posts
8,027 battles
3 hours ago, Miessa3 said:

It makes sense but only in space. Spacestations and rockets have throttleboosts on the side opposing the engine to give negative acceleration for slowing down or manuevering purpose. I guess this could also work with planes if they had small jetengines in the other direction if the planes could handle the strain of negative acceleration while in an atmosphere with air pressure.

Space craft usually slow down by rotating 180 degrees and running their main propulsion. You mostly use the small thrusters on final approach or for tiny course and speed correction. 

That said, Harriers can use their VTOL capability to slow down drastically without stalling to screw with faster or more agile planes. 

Players
282 posts
8,168 battles
3 hours ago, OnceBittenTwiceShy said:

I know, this is an arcade game. I know about "balance" but some things just don't make sense.

It's a fairly limited number of things that the player can do after taking off in a squadron. Changing speed is a key thing in evading flak and executing multiple attack runs, and by making it limited you attach a bit more skill to the gameplay. It felt awkward to me as well, at first, but now I just don't think about it.

If it was somehow frustrating or dumb I would be complaining. If it's just unrealistic but serves the game, I forget about it and keep playing.

[BW-UK]
Beta Tester
733 posts
5,551 battles

In terms of arcade - I love to launch planes through mountains. Everything goes crazy, it looks like a counterstrike wallhack.

I guess its a bit irritating for the bomb receiver....that the planes come out of the nowhere, plopping out of the mountain like Pringles :D

I am the mountain :cat_paw:

Sign in to follow this