Jump to content
Server restart - 20/06/2019 Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Procrastes

How about some new animations in port view?

12 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

Beta Tester
2,294 posts
2,482 battles

Hey, guys and girls!

 

To lighten up among all these weighty, ongoing discussions about things that have serious and far-reaching consequences for the game at large (no irony intended), I thought to bring up something completely inconsequential: I miss the little aikido-practicing, knife-throwing cook on the deck of my Missouri!

 

To those of you who may not know what I'm talking about (and will be thinking that I have now gone completely off the rocker), there was at one time a little animated figure of a cook, that would now and then appear - in port view - on the deck of the USN battleship Missouri. This figure represented the character of the badass cook from the movie Under Siege (1992), which was played by the actor Steven Seagal. As the collaboration between Wargaming and Mr Seagal came to an end, and his in-game commander persona changed name to John Doe, the little cook sadly also stopped working out on the deck of the Missouri.

 

I'm not asking for the cook to be reintroduced, as such. I must assume that this would contravene whatever deal Wargaming made with Mr Seagal. But wouldn't it be fun to have other such animations - possibly but not necessarily relating to irl phenomena - appear in our ports from time to time? For one thing, we now have a number of special captains - anime and others - that could star in their own little animations. These could be tied to various silver or premium ships, or even switch between them, as circumstances might suggest. (And I might finally have Captain Paul Hogan get to grips with that koala on board my Perth, although what the outcome of that would be is anyone's guess.)

 

I am not suggesting that this is made a priority in any way. I know that Wargaming is currently rather busy, what with the CV rework and all. But as they say, there is a time for everything...  perhaps even for silly, pointless funimations?

:fish_aqua:

  • Bad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
3,477 posts
8,165 battles
1 hour ago, Procrastes said:

Hey, guys and girls!

 

To lighten up among all these weighty, ongoing discussions about things that have serious and far-reaching consequences for the game at large (no irony intended), I thought to bring up something completely inconsequential: I miss the little aikido-practicing, knife-throwing cook on the deck of my Missouri!

 

To those of you who may not know what I'm talking about (and will be thinking that I have now gone completely off the rocker), there was at one time a little animated figure of a cook, that would now and then appear - in port view - on the deck of the USN battleship Missouri. This figure represented the character of the badass cook from the movie Under Siege (1992), which was played by the actor Steven Seagal. As the collaboration between Wargaming and Mr Seagal came to an end, and his in-game commander persona changed name to John Doe, the little cook sadly also stopped working out on the deck of the Missouri.

 

I'm not asking for the cook to be reintroduced, as such. I must assume that this would contravene whatever deal Wargaming made with Mr Seagal. But wouldn't it be fun to have other such animations - possibly but not necessarily relating to irl phenomena - appear in our ports from time to time? For one thing, we now have a number of special captains - anime and others - that could star in their own little animations. These could be tied to various silver or premium ships, or even switch between them, as circumstances might suggest. (And I might finally have Captain Paul Hogan get to grips with that koala on board my Perth, although what the outcome of that would be is anyone's guess.)

 

I am not suggesting that this is made a priority in any way. I know that Wargaming is currently rather busy, what with the CV rework and all. But as they say, there is a time for everything...  perhaps even for silly, pointless funimations?

:fish_aqua:

How about removing some animations in port view instead, so the port interface is at least not glacially slow anymore?

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
3,477 posts
8,165 battles
1 hour ago, Panocek said:


what happened to this

I do remember having seen this before. Iirc it was removed? Maybe to do with it being people on deck (and people getting killed etc age ratings or something).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
3,088 posts
13,995 battles

I'd like to see an animation of the crew loading the S-400 missiles on the new Russian Battleships.:Smile_trollface:

  • Funny 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
5,439 posts
8,137 battles
8 hours ago, NothingButTheRain said:

I do remember having seen this before. Iirc it was removed? Maybe to do with it being people on deck (and people getting killed etc age ratings or something).

This crew on deck was more of a proof of concept, after all we had Seagull doing his Seagull things on Missouri deck for some time in the port

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[-FF-]
Players
858 posts
5,881 battles
10 hours ago, Procrastes said:

Hey, guys and girls!

 

To lighten up among all these weighty, ongoing discussions about things that have serious and far-reaching consequences for the game at large (no irony intended), I thought to bring up something completely inconsequential: I miss the little aikido-practicing, knife-throwing cook on the deck of my Missouri!

 

To those of you who may not know what I'm talking about (and will be thinking that I have now gone completely off the rocker), there was at one time a little animated figure of a cook, that would now and then appear - in port view - on the deck of the USN battleship Missouri. This figure represented the character of the badass cook from the movie Under Siege (1992), which was played by the actor Steven Seagal. As the collaboration between Wargaming and Mr Seagal came to an end, and his in-game commander persona changed name to John Doe, the little cook sadly also stopped working out on the deck of the Missouri.

 

I'm not asking for the cook to be reintroduced, as such. I must assume that this would contravene whatever deal Wargaming made with Mr Seagal. But wouldn't it be fun to have other such animations - possibly but not necessarily relating to irl phenomena - appear in our ports from time to time? For one thing, we now have a number of special captains - anime and others - that could star in their own little animations. These could be tied to various silver or premium ships, or even switch between them, as circumstances might suggest. (And I might finally have Captain Paul Hogan get to grips with that koala on board my Perth, although what the outcome of that would be is anyone's guess.)

 

I am not suggesting that this is made a priority in any way. I know that Wargaming is currently rather busy, what with the CV rework and all. But as they say, there is a time for everything...  perhaps even for silly, pointless funimations?

:fish_aqua:

Even though that would be a nice and funny addition, this would be at the very bottom of the priority list.

So I'd say it will come soonTM.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Beta Tester
2,294 posts
2,482 battles
10 hours ago, NothingButTheRain said:

How about removing some animations in port view instead, so the port interface is at least not glacially slow anymore?

Well, if that's the choice, then please go for it. I'd rather have a swift flow in port view and no animations, thank you. But maybe they're not mutually exclusive?

Note that I'd still want that free-roaming camera option in the port view! So can zoom around the ship, and visit Hamburg while I'm at it! :Smile_Default:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Beta Tester
2,294 posts
2,482 battles
10 hours ago, NothingButTheRain said:

I do remember having seen this before. Iirc it was removed? Maybe to do with it being people on deck (and people getting killed etc age ratings or something).

They wouldn't have people on board the ships while in battle, for that exact reason. It's the same as in World of Tanks. Personally, I think it's a good design choice, as it highlights the fact that this is a light-hearted game of arcade naval combat, and not a realistic depiction of war.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
3,477 posts
8,165 battles
32 minutes ago, Procrastes said:

Well, if that's the choice, then please go for it. I'd rather have a swift flow in port view and no animations, thank you. But maybe they're not mutually exclusive?

Note that I'd still want that free-roaming camera option in the port view! So can zoom around the ship, and visit Hamburg while I'm at it! :Smile_Default:

Perhaps they are not mutuallyexclusive. But the only problem is that animations are kinda labor-intensive and personally I'd rather they spend that effort on reducing the epic port lag.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×