Server restart - 20/06/2019 Read more... ×
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
NoobySkooby

Cruisers......

12 comments in this topic

Players
1,089 posts
3,502 battles

What are the best way to use them, I have watched many a video but just cannot seem to get the hang of these things, I am even afraid to take them out in co op battles, although truth be told in co op's i prefer my tier 9 BB's. (Different story if I take them out in randoms, lol)

Is there anything wrong if you kind of prefer co op battles to randoms?

Players
3,468 posts
8,149 battles

No there's nothing wrong with preferring any one battle type. Whatever floats your boat right? :Smile_great:

Spoiler

or whatever sinks the other boats, right? :Smile_hiding:

• Cool 1

[SCRUB]
[SCRUB]
Players
1,669 posts
19,588 battles

in general:

- ca's "always" keep moving, mid to longrange, wasd all the time. rather stay alive then holding all guns on target..... in short, dance :D.

- cl's: play the environment, work with cover, keep an exit path.

.... in general, gl!. concealment is a value to work with on all kinds, it's ok to hold fire for a few to get unspotted and stay alive. imo best way is to go from lowtier on, learn the ropes and dont progress too fast.

• Cool 2

[NWP]
Players
5,132 posts
6,594 battles

Well... thats really a tricky question tbh.

Cruisers are a hard class to play correctly. They lack armor like BBs, and stealth like DDs.

From your stats i see you like Marblehead (atleast you play it the most). It just cant tank anything. You cant tank HE shells, and for certain you cant tank basicly ANY AP shells (not even from most Cruisers).

Personaly, i love Marblehead. Its kinda glass cannon style, no armor but good guns. The problem is, you kinda need a 14 pt captain to make it work well, because you want IFHE and Concealment Expert ofc.

Try to use Island cover most of the time. This goes for almost all Cruisers, except some higher tier ones.

The more game knowledge you have, the better Cruisers will work for you.

• Cool 1

[BHSFL]
[BHSFL]
Players
1,811 posts
6,028 battles

In operations i really hate the cruisers without a heal or smoke. They cannot take much damage and usually have not many hitpoints.

In randoms i struggle with them too, what seems to work best for me is pairing with a BB and using that as a magnet for incoming fire and aircraft and wait for mid-late game oppertunities to hunt (wounded) prey on my own i can kill myself.

I tried dancing between incoming long range fire and returning it but especially the larger cruisers seem not agile enough to evade reliably even with rudder enhancements. My captains are too low points to slip in and out of concealment and i prefer other points. I tried supporting DD to cap but that often results being deleted by larger ships once spotted.

They are my least favorite and least understood class. Since shooting down aircraft seems not worth anything untill you kill a certain number the AA overpowerdness does not attract me either.

I have the once highly valued an praised Atago but in my hands it is not perticularly effective. It does give nice credits and XP for average performance though. Those 2 Italian cruisers without heal or smoke i have too.....complete disasters in my hands. Still use them trying to learn their ways.

• Cool 1

Players
2,729 posts
14,903 battles
1 hour ago, NoobySkooby said:

Is there anything wrong if you kind of prefer co op battles to randoms?

No, play what you want.  Personal choice.

• Cool 1

Players
640 posts
7,763 battles
19 hours ago, NoobySkooby said:

What are the best way to use them, I have watched many a video but just cannot seem to get the hang of these things, I am even afraid to take them out in co op battles, although truth be told in co op's i prefer my tier 9 BB's. (Different story if I take them out in randoms, lol)

Use the mini map. 

Always angle. Showing a BB or US CA your broadside will get you sunk in short order. 

When you are closing on the enemy turn away  - or turn in of they are running - AND THEN OPEN FIRE. 

Keep the range open so that you are 10+ km from the enemy - 12+ km if it is a BB.

If you find that you have large number of possible targets to shoot at, don't shoot at any of them and run away.  You want to only have a couple enemies at the desired range which you are angled to when you open fire. 

Obviously this won't work every time, but it is the basis of cruiser play. Other than that support your DDs and shoot the opposing DDs whenever you can.

• Cool 4

[NWP]
Players
5,132 posts
6,594 battles
29 minutes ago, Beastofwar said:

They are my least favorite and least understood class.

Ive always felt thats one of the core issues with WoWs. Cruisers should be the go-to class. Most of the time they simply arent.

DDs are a class, which imo is best at 3~ per side. More of them usually ends only in more DDs dieing in the first couple of minutes. Same for BBs, just for different reason. With 5 per side, they are limiting the movement of Cruisers extremely.

Cruisers however, tend to die fast themselves (when targeted by BBs), but arent fast killers themselves (except for some candidates, and in Cruiser vs Cruiser interaction, which boils down to making huge mistakes). Cruiser vs Cruiser engagement can keep them busy, while not being that punishing.

• Cool 4

[BHSFL]
[BHSFL]
Players
1,811 posts
6,028 battles
12 minutes ago, That_Other_Nid said:

If you find that you have large number of possible targets to shoot at, don't shoot at any of them and run away.

Funny description but very true :Smile_Default:

• Cool 1
  • Funny 1

Players
235 posts
1,384 battles

Hi Nooby, play cruisers like you'd play a glass canon medium tank in WoT. You need to harass the enemy but make sure the enemy BB guns are pointing in another direction first. For countering enemy cruisers understand their weakness and strength as much as your own and make a judgement who is top dog, and for countering enemy destroyers treat them with contempt while dodging all the torps.

• Cool 2

Players
1,089 posts
3,502 battles
9 hours ago, DFens_666 said:

Well... thats really a tricky question tbh.

Cruisers are a hard class to play correctly. They lack armor like BBs, and stealth like DDs.

From your stats i see you like Marblehead (atleast you play it the most). It just cant tank anything. You cant tank HE shells, and for certain you cant tank basicly ANY AP shells (not even from most Cruisers).

Personaly, i love Marblehead. Its kinda glass cannon style, no armor but good guns. The problem is, you kinda need a 14 pt captain to make it work well, because you want IFHE and Concealment Expert ofc.

Try to use Island cover most of the time. This goes for almost all Cruisers, except some higher tier ones.

The more game knowledge you have, the better Cruisers will work for you.

Many thanks guys some good tips here and I will endeavour to take them all onboard (no pun intended) and I am glad you guys can understand my stats because I do not have a clue, lol.

Not played the Marblehead for some time now so a note to self to visit the lower tiers once in a while, I have the Murmansk to which i am given to understand is better for the AA role, but still this time round it is good to actually learn and pick up tips from people, once again many thanks.

Players
1,089 posts
3,502 battles
8 hours ago, 250swb said:

Hi Nooby, play cruisers like you'd play a glass canon medium tank in WoT. You need to harass the enemy but make sure the enemy BB guns are pointing in another direction first. For countering enemy cruisers understand their weakness and strength as much as your own and make a judgement who is top dog, and for countering enemy destroyers treat them with contempt while dodging all the torps.

I will do my best, lol