Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.

10 comments in this topic

[POP]
Weekend Tester
650 posts

Warning: this is a very sad and touching, yet possibly educational story.

image.png.f74c3ad9af9246f0d2814684a6549ea8.png

Hi everyone, my name is Maurice Harper and I'm one of the oldies. I was there in July of 2015, when it all started. I was the one who figured out what a St. Louis was. And then there was the three St. Louis -division and after that the original, completely bonkers Cleveland.The rest of the grind to Des Moines was a bit of a nightmare, but eventually it was worth it and I got to captain the 3rd T10 ship on the account. During the first clan wars season I captained what was basically the only radar ship of the clan, it was glorious fun.

I have history and memories. Achievements and victories, 19 points of experience. What I don't have is a job. I don't even mind the likes of Halsey - a truly legendary character - but I do mind it a bit when John Jack Jake Jill Does get boosted to 19 points with experience I earned and then they steal my job just because they are simply better. Who cares about history when you can get better performance out of some no-name new guy.

image.png.593f0f97653238e45e48b8a786528156.png

Hi everyone, my name is Ryo Fuwa and I'm also one of the oldies from July 2015. I have sailed so many Kazes that nobody invites me to any parties because I still stink of dead baby seals. I probably hold all kinds of records in devastating strikes and I was the dude who finally got that super annoying liquidator-achievement for that one annoying campaign mission. I was the first captain to reach 19 points.

I still have a job. For now. It's an honor to fight alongside Mr. Yamatomato, but it's only a matter of time when I'm replaced by Squiggles Doe or something pointless like that. When that happens, I will have so many glorious stories to tell - so much history - but nobody will listen.

image.png.6eb101e1b428643a075da5dcbf83ba62.png

Hi everyone, I'm a cute Anime Princess. I'm not that old (all actors depicted above 18 yo), but I'm cute and funny and that's why there once was a plan for boosting a bunch of Anime Princesses to 19 points and replacing IJN captains with us. 

That plan is no more. It would be pure waste of captain XP, since eventually there will be superior "special" captains to replace all of us who don't have superhuman abilities. Same goes for Dashas, cats, dragons, Jinglesesses and other weird and funny animals - unless they get some extra bonuses to make them useful. That makes me very sad and since I'm very cute, you should feel sad for me unless you're dead inside or something.

image.png.593f0f97653238e45e48b8a786528156.png

What plan to replace IJN captains with Anime Princesses?

All of the above people(?) have two things in common: they are interesting or funny in some ways and they have no special skills, which means that their days are eventually numbered. And that's a lot of potential wasted. The game should celebrate their achievements and history, showcase their service records and make you care about them. Remember the captain you sailed to your first rank 1 with or your first solo warrior? Or did you know that one dude(tte) who seems to sail with krakens every time you go to battle together? Do you remember who was the captain who got you your first Tier 10 ship?  I do, he's currently out of a job thanks to Yamamoto.

All of the above are things the game should help you remember and celebrate, but it does the polar opposite. The constant flow of special skills captains make all of the oldies and funny special captains irrelevant - the characters you really should care about. Why would I pay for a cute anime princess if she will sooner or even sooner be replaced with someone who is just better in battle? When we finally got Dasha captains I didn't even get one, since there was no room for her in my fleet captained by a number of much less special but a bit more capable captains.

This is all very unnecessary, though.

1. Instead of John Jack Jake Jill Does, give us skill sets that can be assigned to existing captains just like permanent camoflages of old (that could not be removed). These could be rewards for missions or sold in stores like the "special" captains are now - or you could have country-specific missions like the ones for ship special modules.
  2. Start collecting (or showcase already collected) statistical data for captains. What ships they have sailed, how many games, the number of krakens and confederates, anniversary bonuses for every year they've served in your fleet and so on. The possibilities are endless.

Compared to carrierpocalypse or other major current questions this might sound like a small issue, which it by all means is. However, adding personality to and making you care about your captains could add to the gameplay experience in a fairly cost-effective manner. Don't make us choose between fun and effective, when there is no reason for them to be mutually exclusive. Jingles is finally about to be a character in the game, but if he doesn't have special skills, he will eventually be pointless. Which is kind of sad. 

• Cool 16
  • Funny 3

Players
5,052 posts
6,232 battles

At least Hipper, Thea and whatever generic German captain people favour will likely keep their jobs, because Jutland brothers are hardly worth a damn.

Good post though.

• Cool 1

[SCRUB]
[SCRUB]
Beta Tester
1,595 posts
8,106 battles

Well a feature like that which shows the captains history would be very nice indeed, but i doubt the data is saved from the past so it would only be a (good) change for the future.

The ruler of my navy runs a guarteed job policy. Every captain that makes it to 19 Skillpoints is guaranteed a spot on a Silverline ship in my port. (the Premiums are reservefleet only and will only leave port with a captain specifically chosen for that battle. Only exceptions are the Animeships as each ship came with her own captain.)

So yes I can renember the first 19 Point captain I had. It's the captain on Yamato my first Tier X ship.

For Dasha I chose to recruit her as a RN Captain as there were still ashortage and no legendary captains yet. She is the captain on Neptune atm.

[NWP]
Beta Tester
1,409 posts
13,060 battles

Its called power creep and can also be witnessed in other WG titles (well hello there excessive free brothers/sisters in arms tank crews). However unless you plan to play hardcore competitive only or to have special 19 skill point captains down to T2 I see no problem. Regarding battle history WoT already has this for their crews so one can still hope.

Also:

shot-19_02.27_15_08.40-0050.jpg.e7b3e279845a0c581db0c594c9ff3665.jpg

Nachi says hi!

[B0TS]
[B0TS]
Beta Tester
1,680 posts
5,899 battles

Superb post with a serious point to be made also. Well said. :cap_like:

Beta Tester
4,528 posts
9,851 battles

With the downturn in the games quality I'm in sort of the opposite position. I have multiple special caps that either sit entirely unused, or who got placed in ships I barely play anymore due to WGs incompetent handling of new ship lines, CVs and the utter failure of their community teams, as I just don't generate the amount of elite xp anymore that I have to spare outside of what's needed for new caps for new ship lines.

[CMP]
Weekend Tester
516 posts
4,061 battles

Nice post.

Bit of a first world problem though.

I've been playing since beta, and I got my first 19 skill captain this weekend.....  Aint nobody going to be replaced by some newfangled shiny special captain.

I would love the extra info on the captains though. It would feel right to find my old Cleveland captain again ( you know the Cleveland from way bach when she was OP as hell) and move him back to the Cleveland at T8 now that I have a decent rooster.

On second thought... that might just be the captain that just reached 19 skill. And in that case it's not gonna happen. He is happy as my dedicated Atlanta / Flint captain.

Beta Tester
2,300 posts
2,490 battles

Großadmiral Karl Fertig is the real oldtimer in my port. He cut his stripes on the manly-man pre-dreadnoughts of Kaiser Wilhelm's Hochseeflotte, and is currently in command of the Tirpitz. He still occasionally goes to sea in the Emden, the König Albert, the Graf Spee, the Prinz Eugen and the Scharnhorst as well. He's a stickler for traditions, not all of which are perhaps as wholesome as they ought to be.

Fleet Admiral Harold Allen is the proud captain of the HMCS Haida, the fightingest ship in the Royal Canadian Navy. Like said ship, he shirks from no challenge. His stern exterior hides the heart of a ruthless killer. When he wants to relax, he goes on a cruise on his pleasure yacht, the HMAS Vampire. This, rather than his bloodthirst in battle, is what has earned him his nickname, 'the Vampire Lord'.

Fleet Admiral Edward Powers cuts a fine figure on the bridge of the USS Black, from whence he has directed several successful operations, bringing his Deputy Clan Commander the honour of achieving rank 10 during the 11th season of ranked battles. To stem the recent onslaught of reworked carriers, he has also made several hugely entertaining sorties in the USS Kidd. For all his success, he's a weak man. He drinks too much, and he beats his wife.

None of the abovementioned 19-point captains have any special skills. They still remain special to me, though.*

A very nice post, Captain @AndyHill! You illuminate some of those softer aspects that, while less commonly subjected to discussions on the forum, are nevertheless a valued part of this game!:Smile_honoring:

* Although as an inveterate gamer, I have on occasion been accused of overthinking my characters in these online games.

[POP]
Weekend Tester
650 posts

Personally I have all T10 ships except for the Bourgogne, I also have a whole bunch of premium ships. Premium ships can mostly be manned (or personned) by the main T10 captains and since there are fairly few lower tier silver ships I like enough to sail regularly, there are not that many spots of any importance to fill. It won't take very long to have special captains in all the most favorite ships (I bet there are a few Japanese ones coming up shortly). 

Once you get a few 19 point captains, more will follow relatively quickly. At that point replacing existing captains with special ones becomes somewhat trivial, but elite captain XP is never really abundant enough to just fool around with, like for example in the anime princess project. It's useful to save it for retraining - and when you get one of those "special" captains you need to train up.

WoT is a bit different thing in that it doesn't have Elite XP that can instantly and with little trouble boost a completely fresh crew to max level. It is in many ways similar, though, since due to the way crew skill XP works, a crew with "free" skills will relatively quickly catch up with a fairly advanced one. And that does have an effect on the value of your existing non-special crews. But at least WoT has some form of personnel records.

As an extra bonus here's a showcase of my mad photoshop skillz, see if you can spot the simple, but quite useful new potential feature I edited into this image:

image.png.a51f95ad3238e0aee9b2e6f7133d4f96.png

Sign in to follow this