You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Leo_Apollo11

Interesting... the "Alaska" can be bought on RU server for around 65 Euros...

120 comments in this topic

Beta Tester
3,063 posts
3,463 battles
26 minutes ago, AgarwaenME said:

They do seem to approach the end game of "lets throw as much out there as possible to grab wannabe p2w'ers and collectors money as we slowly stop actually even trying to support the game".

I don't really think selling the Alaska for cash can be correctly described as "p2w". The typical newbie player who buys the Alaska as his first ship in the game, well... he won't be winning very many battles in her, I'd wager.

With the assumption that a ship is balanced, which I hope the Alaska will be, the only issue with making her available for cash would be that she is a top tier ship - and that there can be said to be an argument for restricting the top tiers to players who have already accumulated a substantial amount of experience with how the game works. The typical newbie player I just mentioned, will be likely to call down a substantial amount of pain on his suffering team mates if he starts out playing in tier IX games. And he won't be having very fun himself, either. I bought a number of tier VIII premiums rather early on, and I remember quite well how helpless and fumbling I perceived myself to be when I first started to try them out. It took many battles, and many months, before I got to the point of considering myself even barely competent to take my Tirpitz, my Atago and my Lo Yang out of port. I still did it, now and then, but mainly to test the waters, so to speak. I still don't consider myself able to reliably pull my weight at the top tiers. I'm still probably going to buy and sail the Alaska, just as I sail out in my Missouri now and then, but it will be a learning experience. (I am somewhat more comfortable in my USS Black. I've found, to my delight, that gun boat destroyer gameplay agrees with me!)

With the arrival of the Jean Bart, and now reputedly with the Alaska, Wargaming seems to have opened up the top tiers a bit more for rookie players. I'm not saying this is necessarily a bad thing - but I am curious to see how it will turn out. Will it create a painful mess for a lot of beginners and their team mates - or will it even out the skill floor a bit? I really can't say for sure! :Smile_Default:

• Cool 1
  • Funny 1

Beta Tester
4,626 posts
10,432 battles
3 minutes ago, Procrastes said:

I don't really think selling the Alaska for cash can be correctly described as "p2w". The typical newbie player who buys the Alaska as his first ship in the game, well... he won't be winning very many battles in her, I'd wager.

That's why I referred to it as "wannabe p2w". People who actually want to p2w wouldn't fall for it, but WG far more relies on customers being dumb than smart.

[XODUS]
Players
799 posts
4,848 battles
1 hour ago, T0byJug said:

To be fair i don't really care as long as all tier IX/X Prems are also Available for Coal/Steel or Free XP.  If wallet warriors want to buy Coal/Free XP ship.. OK.. (Free XP already can by converting)

Ships only available for Steel should stay only available for steel. But free XP and Coal not so bothered about.

However if they start to bring out IX and X Prems only for Dubloons or Cash.. Then Yes i will be pissed

Agreed 100%

Players
5,976 posts
10,885 battles
3 hours ago, ironhammer500 said:

Honestly they need all 3 options coal (steel for the tier X), free exp and doubloons...so then they get quick cash of those who want it now, those loyal who play the game for ages get it via other means maybe they should add coal for doubloons (never steel!!!)

No. I'm happy that I could get Salem (tier 10 CA) for coal :Smile_coin:

[RODS]
Players
1,121 posts
6,957 battles
1 hour ago, Procrastes said:

Haha, my first premium ship was the (OP) Belfast, I have visited the museum ship so it seemed the right thing to do when I was up to like tier 5 and couple of hundred games under my belt.

Well if u want a good laugh u can look up my stats on the OP Belfast, lets say I kind of lost interest in it, have hardly played it after that.

[BBMM]
Players
5,498 posts
6,636 battles
7 minutes ago, Ronchabale said:

Haha, my first premium ship was the (OP) Belfast, I have visited the museum ship so it seemed the right thing to do when I was up to like tier 5 and couple of hundred games under my belt.

Well if u want a good laugh u can look up my stats on the OP Belfast, lets say I kind of lost interest in it, have hardly played it after that.

Really it's not THAT good, I used to kill lots of them using the Queen Elizabeth.

Good players though, when they get their hands on it it's kinda OP. 

But not in the hands of the average player. Then it's just 'good', like many more ships.

I'd never buy a ship for 120 euros though @MrConway, that's twice the price of a whole top-title game. 

I'm surprised they sell any at all at that price. 

Beta Tester
3,063 posts
3,463 battles
35 minutes ago, Ronchabale said:

You know, your story is kind of familiar. I also bought the Belfast primarily on the merits of her history. I keep meaning to visit her whenever I'm in London, but the opportunity has yet to present itself.

She's a good ship in the game and no mistake, but I tend to fail to make the most of her capabilities. I usually make some kind of noob misplay halfway into the game and get deservedly obliterated for it. In spite of this, I often end up fairly high up on the post-battle scoreboard, which is as good a testimony as any of how strong she truly is. :Smile_Default:

• Cool 1

Beta Tester
3,063 posts
3,463 battles
32 minutes ago, BLUB__BLUB said:

Really it's not THAT good, I used to kill lots of them using the Queen Elizabeth.

Good players though, when they get their hands on it it's kinda OP. 

But not in the hands of the average player. Then it's just 'good', like many more ships.

Basically this, yes. The Belfast is quite easily shot to pieces if caught outside of her smoke, and also fairly easily countered by rushing her smoke if she's in cover within it. As smoke ships go, I vastly prefer the Perth - her combination of moving smoke, spotting aircraft, hydroacoustics and single shot torpedoes is just hilariously versatile!*

* Also, she's got koalas!

• Cool 2

[WG-EU]
[WG-EU]
WG Staff, Community, Alpha Tester
3,479 posts
8,751 battles
3 hours ago, Johmie said:

This makes sense, some people complain about a lack of historical accuracy so they'd be pleased with Russia selling Alaska. At least it's only 65 Euros rather than $7.2 million. :Smile-_tongue:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alaska_Purchase

Well played! :Smile_trollface:

2 hours ago, __Helmut_Kohl__ said:

@MrConway WG EU should have sold it today, together with NA.

This kind of "early access" would have made them more money for sure.

This way we have few hours of the hype being built on NA :Smile_hiding:

Seriously speaking though, the early access would be complicated, esp. with changes to ship status that could appear (even if just flip from test status to full status) - it is simpler and safer this way.

Players
2,489 posts
9,916 battles
6 hours ago, ironhammer500 said:

Well the musashi and kronstadt both cost 750k free exp which to convert from 0 at the standard rate would cost me something like 85 GPB. So yea imagine the rumour of 1 million free exp and you have a ship costs around 110 GBP as you need 40k doubloons. Also the 1 million free exp was a rumor they also never  allowed the other ships to be purchased.

£ 110 roughly 120 euros for a ship is absurd.

i cant find the musa anywhere man are you sure?

[BFS]
Beta Tester
1,778 posts
10,706 battles
5 hours ago, AgarwaenME said:

Don't discount WGs greed at the possibility of selling it to players who are so new they don't even have that amount of convertible xp available.

They do seem to approach the end game of "lets throw as much out there as possible to grab wannabe p2w'ers and collectors money as we slowly stop actually even trying to support the game".

The other thing 'out there' is that if the Alaska performs too well it may be moved to T10.......

The spectre of what WG want to do with the Guilo Cesare should be in the back of anyone who is thinking about paying hard cash to possess it.

[NWP]
Players
1,172 posts
9,047 battles

Dear All,

my two cents.

All Ships should be available for cash. And for a hefty price.

They could (should) also be available to be "earned" by good players. (coal, steel, freeXP, missions etc.)  You want the ship? - Earn it. It will be for free because you have put in the effort to "git gud" and earn it.

You can't earn it? Well buy it. High price.

This will allow WG to make money. The more the better. The more money WG makes the more time the game will be in the market. The more the game will be developed. The more I will enjoy playing it.

Once WG stops making money or her return on investment decreases they will stop supporting of making WoW available and they will put their capital and efforts on another game that makes them more money. And, alas, I will not have the game that I like to play.

This is the free market. 

So anything that allows WG to make more money for me is good. So I can play the game.

Now, will novice players buy ships clearly above and beyond their skill level? Yes they will. We all did. And we found out the hard way that..oops...I get my face smashed.

I did it. (I did not buy a ship, I rushed my way up to Hindenburg with all my FreeXP) I ran on a brick wall head first and now I sit comfortably in T5-T7 , learn more, enjoy, "git guder" and occasionally play a high tier battle.

Same as we have game mechanics there are these "mechanics" of the cold reality. If you are not a good player you will get massacred if you stretch your feet out of your blanket. Eventually you will get smart enough to understand that you will enjoy more at lower tiers until you develop the necessary skill to play at higher level. Will this "frustrate" top players? Oh come on now, the seals are coming to you and you complain? After all, no one wants a skill based MM. Why all of a sudden we complain about players of low skill being able to buy ships that require high expertise?

I will buy Alaska. Will I play it? Maybe in Co Op. Will I play it ever in Random? Uhmm...if i "git guder"

Warm regards and enjoy the new update

Saltface

• Cool 1

[BFS]
Beta Tester
1,778 posts
10,706 battles
4 minutes ago, lossi_2018 said:

i cant find the musa anywhere man are you sure?

The Musashi and Krohnstadt were both  removed as part of patch 0.8

• Cool 1

[BBMM]
Players
5,498 posts
6,636 battles
3 hours ago, Procrastes said:

Basically this, yes. The Belfast is quite easily shot to pieces if caught outside of her smoke, and also fairly easily countered by rushing her smoke if she's in cover within it. As smoke ships go, I vastly prefer the Perth - her combination of moving smoke, spotting aircraft, hydroacoustics and single shot torpedoes is just hilariously versatile!*

* Also, she's got koalas!

I like Leander, somehow the Fiji reacts too slow to the rudder for me.

I'm thinking Perth is the same as Fiji, so probably not for me. 

My teammate loves Fiji though, I bet he likes perth.

[BBMM]
Players
5,498 posts
6,636 battles
4 hours ago, Procrastes said:

You know, your story is kind of familiar. I also bought the Belfast primarily on the merits of her history. I keep meaning to visit her whenever I'm in London, but the opportunity has yet to present itself.

She's a good ship in the game and no mistake, but I tend to fail to make the most of her capabilities. I usually make some kind of noob misplay halfway into the game and get deservedly obliterated for it. In spite of this, I often end up fairly high up on the post-battle scoreboard, which is as good a testimony as any of how strong she truly is. :Smile_Default:

Legendary ship though, like Hood. I'd love top get it somehow. Hope for containers.

I'm only an average potato though so it will not be OP at all. :Smile_trollface:

[RODS]
Players
1,121 posts
6,957 battles
4 hours ago, Procrastes said:

Doesnt make it easier that Its one of the ships that everyone want to sink add to that paper armour, u need to keep in smoke with hydro running or angled behind an island, burn what u can and watch out for torps and long range BB fire, never show ur side.

I know how to play her now but buying it as a noob got me such bad stats in that ship it will take at least a winstreak of like 50 to sort it out to over 50%