Server restart - 20/06/2019 Read more... ×
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
olomeron

My two cents about the new CVs

13 comments in this topic

Players
15 posts
5,731 battles

WG, what the hell did you think when you 'invented' the new CVs?
I understand that a naval simulation cannot be totally realistic - otherwise battles would take hours or even days rather than minutes, BBs wouldn't even have to use main guns against cruisers and DDs as their sec armament would blow them out of the water before they could even get close to fire their own guns or torps and a single Bismarck would dominate all other ships (or a Dreadnaught on lower tier) so, yes, balancing is necessary and a good idea.
What happened to the CVs, however, is no balancing but utter, unrealistic nonsense.
Your own fleet is in heavy fights, so you as a CV captain launch a total of 3 (three!) torp bombers to support. Of which one is attacking while the others fly circles to give the AA crews something to play. Fighters do only occur on cruisers or BBs, which then can launch three at the same time and this even twice - my Atago has six(!) fighters onboard! More than any CV nowadays. Dogfights or interception of bombers, torp'bombers or rocketplanes (did they actually play *any* realistic role in naval warfare in and before WW2??) does not take place at all.
DDs are undetected until your squad comes to 2km distance to them. That should be pretty much the distance a halfways skilled pilot can recognise a submarine in the Adriatic sea under daylight conditions - submerged up to 30 mtrs!
Even outdated BBs and cruisers have AAs like whole Baghdad during operation desert storm - wtf?!
While flying the planes is in fact fun and requires some skill (which can also be said about Atari birds-eye-view airfight 'simulators' which are as realistic as your new CV version) it appears completely strange in an otherwise great naval simulation. It is a bomber-only World-of-Warplanes clone with no halfways realistic elements.
If I was to make the decision: give us back the pre 0.8.0-CVs!

• Cool 3
  • Funny 1
  • Boring 3

Players
157 posts
10,958 battles

the jurassic cv's was huge alpha strikes with skilled players going from ship to ship one shotting everyone, while shutting down the other cv so it ended up an overwhelming one sided battle, with the good cv player hogging all the damage?

[ESPA]
Players
1,205 posts
6,932 battles

All what I feel when I play the reworked cvs it's pure frustration. Frustration of having to wait for nonsense cooldowns, frustration for doing so little damage even connecting all the torps or bombs, frustration for not being able to protect my team from the enemy cv (leading to a race of who does the most damage), frustration for seeing my cv under attack and not being able to control it (yes, i can recall the planes and control the hull, but in that case all what I can do it's to dodge some shells and torpedoes, but not being able to counterattack at all), frustration for not being able to control the most basic stuff from airplanes (like altitude or speed)...

• Cool 6

Players
1,728 posts
245 battles
3 minutes ago, Sargento_YO said:

All what I feel when I play the reworked cvs it's pure frustration. Frustration of having to wait for nonsense cooldowns, frustration for doing so little damage even connecting all the torps or bombs, frustration for not being able to protect my team from the enemy cv (leading to a race of who does the most damage), frustration for seeing my cv under attack and not being able to control it (yes, i can recall the planes and control the hull, but in that case all what I can do it's to dodge some shells and torpedoes, but not being able to counterattack at all), frustration for not being able to control the most basic stuff from airplanes (like altitude or speed)...

I can relate to most of that, i honestly try my best when it comes to fighting tier 8’s in my ranger but damm...

[TTT]
Players
712 posts
13,777 battles
1 hour ago, The_fun_police said:

the jurassic cv's was huge alpha strikes with skilled players going from ship to ship one shotting everyone, while shutting down the other cv so it ended up an overwhelming one sided battle, with the good cv player hogging all the damage?

yeah it was exactly like this, and we all had 100% win rate and noone could touch us.... come on man thats a load of bs...

• Cool 1
  • Funny 1

[BHSFL]
[BHSFL]
Players
1,843 posts
6,051 battles

You cannot attack a CV with another CV after rework  and not lose (almost) all your aircraft.

Some old-skool RTS guys that obviously didn't play the rework CV sometimes still try and fail hard. The last one to try lost 44 aircraft before he decided to turn his few leftover aircraft on something else.

Interesting thing is my CV have a partial secondary battery build against DD attacks, not AA build/upgrades. And i never touched sector strenghtening in CV if they already have that. So CV AA is already "no fly zone" like without being strenghtened.

Clearly WG wanted no CV against CV gameplay like it was/could be. Removing air superiority fighters also aknowledges that. I wonder if that was a good decision as nerfing aircraft against DD is in fact nerfing their orgininal design that targeted all CV attention to attacking ships now. We do that and get nerf slapped....

• Cool 1

Beta Tester
1,047 posts
2,085 battles

The major problem is the CV is still able to dominate and kill a single ship with ease, it also leads to people just balling up in large groups for AA cover. Honestly, remove them from random MM and put them in a mode made for teamwork.

Also they can still hold the main role for spotting.

• Boring 1
  • Bad 2

[1DSF]
Beta Tester
1,470 posts
4,556 battles
2 hours ago, olomeron said:

....I understand that a naval simulation cannot be totally realistic....

And this is the problem, you think this game is a simulation, it isn't!

It is a arcade shooter with ships, nothing more, nothing less.

If you want to play a naval simulation you are at the wrong game.

[DAVY]
[DAVY]
Beta Tester
1,379 posts
7,985 battles
3 minutes ago, ironhammer500 said:

The major problem is the CV is still able to dominate and kill a single ship with ease, it also leads to people just balling up in large groups for AA cover. Honestly, remove them from random MM and put them in a mode made for teamwork.

Also they can still hold the main role for spotting.

if a single ship is on its own doing whatever it feels like then they deserve to be splatted by a cv same as when a dd catches a lone bb sailing alone

also ships are supposed to be in groups as that way they use that thing whats it called now yea that's it sodding teamwork and if more people realised this is a team based game we wont have to worry over the crying player who gets wiped fast because they sail alone

• Cool 1

Beta Tester
1,047 posts
2,085 battles
13 minutes ago, beercrazy said:

if a single ship is on its own doing whatever it feels like then they deserve to be splatted by a cv same as when a dd catches a lone bb sailing alone

also ships are supposed to be in groups as that way they use that thing whats it called now yea that's it sodding teamwork and if more people realised this is a team based game we wont have to worry over the crying player who gets wiped fast because they sail alone

But if we group up the poor cv player whines so yea cant please everyone.

• Bad 1

Players
279 posts
8,168 battles
3 hours ago, ironhammer500 said:

The major problem is the CV is still able to dominate and kill a single ship with ease, it also leads to people just balling up in large groups for AA cover.

...seems like a good thing to me, encouraging team play and punishing going solo -- especially if the ship in question is easily detected and attacked by a CV. 

Secondly, the fact that CV's can no longer snipe other CV's is by design. The reworked CV's are still very skill-sensitive, and can be very strong if played right. It's only a good thing that they cannot realistically shut down enemy CV's. If they could, the worse CV player would get frustrated and rage quit, and WG wants CV's to become and remain popular.

Thirdly, about the damage. I have mostly experience with tiers 6 and 8 of the new CV's. If I look at ships in which I've done a lot of battles, in tier 8 my Lexington is second to only Richelieu in average damage. Likewise in tier 6, Ryujo and Ranger are close to Prinz Eitel and Dunkerque -- two BB's that I've been very comfortable in.

In addition to the damage, in the CV's I can do a lot more than in the BB's. The point being, if the damage dealing potential would be increased, the CV's would easily be too decisive and simply OP. The challenge here is that they seem difficult to do well in. I'm not sure what could easily be done about that, when many players complain about them already being too "dumbed down". 

Tier 8, sorted by average damage:

image.thumb.png.d4748aad1fcb51513948a6f5ab810fc8.png

Tier 6, sorted by average damage:

image.thumb.png.ca251745b1dcc345c9abb8fa5fa2be54.png

• Bad 2

Players
82 posts
4,296 battles

I didn't touch CVs this week, it was just too much to bear. Then I thought, maybe it's not the ships . . maybe it's my fault.  I usually play late - after work and after a few drinks. Today, I rose early, had a good breakfast and fired up my client. 4 CV games later, I couldn't really see a difference. 

3 hours ago, ironhammer500 said:

But if we group up the poor cv player whines so yea cant please everyone.

Maybe it's because CV gameplay is as realistic as PacMan. At some point, WG might decide to "balance" cruisers by installing rails between islands with Donkey Kong on top, throwing down exploding barrels. Better not laugh too loud at other peoples misery,  you could be the next victim. 

• Cool 1

[NWP]
Players
1,417 posts
10,401 battles
4 hours ago, Beastofwar said:

I wonder if that was a good decision as nerfing aircraft against DD

I don't think you know what the word Nerf means.