Jump to content
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
300ConfirmedKills

Fix the forum date-time representations

8 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

Players
327 posts
12,721 battles

Some feedback about the forum: please change the date-time format to an ISO 8601-compliant representation. The current representation used for quoted posts and elsewhere is far inferior in terms of clearness, readability and portability.
E.g.: On 2/14/2019 at 7:22 PM, 300ConfirmedKills said:
Spare us from this arcane '14th month' and 'PM' nonsense. I searched my forum settings for an option to change to a more rational date-time representation, but could find none. If there can only be one date-time representation on this forum, it ought to be in the form of a superlatively convenient and useful ISO 8601-compliant representation.

  • Cool 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[ADRIA]
[ADRIA]
Players
4,945 posts
7,160 battles

The "AM/PM" doesn't bother me too much as Latvia's a weird place where you use both - 24h (written) and 12h (spoken) - clock systems at the same time :cap_haloween:

 

 

But the dates...

5csu5E8.pngpIjT2Bf.png

 

We're not 'murica god damnit

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[WG-EU]
[WG-EU]
WG Staff, Alpha Tester
2,667 posts
2,557 battles
On 2/27/2019 at 12:25 AM, 300ConfirmedKills said:

Some feedback about the forum: please change the date-time format to an ISO 8601-compliant representation. The current representation used for quoted posts and elsewhere is far inferior in terms of clearness, readability and portability.
E.g.: On 2/14/2019 at 7:22 PM, 300ConfirmedKills said:
Spare us from this arcane '14th month' and 'PM' nonsense. I searched my forum settings for an option to change to a more rational date-time representation, but could find none. If there can only be one date-time representation on this forum, it ought to be in the form of a superlatively convenient and useful ISO 8601-compliant representation.

 

On 3/1/2019 at 7:08 PM, 300ConfirmedKills said:

And another thing, there's a preposition missing between the verb and the time in the timestamps above each post: Posted Tuesday at 11:25 PM

@MrConway when can we expect these issues to be resolved?

 

 

You guys really have too much time on your hands :)

 

I'll forward the feedback and see if we can make changes, though only if there is not too much effort involved as I think it really is a very very minor problem.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[C8H18]
[C8H18]
Players
53 posts
5,269 battles
On 3/4/2019 at 9:57 AM, MrConway said:

 

 

 

You guys really have too much time on your hands :)

 

I'll forward the feedback and see if we can make changes, though only if there is not too much effort involved as I think it really is a very very minor problem.

It is almost certainly built into the forum software as a selectable parameter, set it to North American usage on the NA server, European usage on the EU server and whatever others prefer (I think the Japanese prefer yyyy-mm-dd hh:mm) on their servers.

 

It would indeed be a minor quibble if the you were using a format not prone to misunderstanding (say "2-Apr-2017") - but I dare say that on the EU server most people would assume that 2/4/2017  refers to the 2nd of April, NOT the 4th of February.

 

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[WG-EU]
[WG-EU]
WG Staff, Alpha Tester
2,667 posts
2,557 battles
34 minutes ago, ABDAfleet said:

It is almost certainly built into the forum software as a selectable parameter, set it to North American usage on the NA server, European usage on the EU server and whatever others prefer (I think the Japanese prefer yyyy-mm-dd hh:mm) on their servers.

 

It would indeed be a minor quibble if the you were using a format not prone to misunderstanding (say "2-Apr-2017") - but I dare say that on the EU server most people would assume that 2/4/2017  refers to the 2nd of April, NOT the 4th of February.

 

 

I checked and unfortunately it is not that easy, as the date is connected to the language pack that is installed in the forum.

 

We're probably going to have to live with it  as is.

  • Angry 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[SCRUB]
Players
8,188 posts
10,715 battles
On 2/27/2019 at 5:39 PM, wilkatis_LV said:

The "AM/PM" doesn't bother me too much as Latvia's a weird place where you use both - 24h (written) and 12h (spoken) - clock systems at the same time :cap_haloween:

 

 

But the dates...

5csu5E8.pngpIjT2Bf.png

 

We're not 'murica god damnit

 

Poor Canada, haven't invented time yet.

  • Funny 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[C8H18]
[C8H18]
Players
53 posts
5,269 battles
1 hour ago, MrConway said:

 

I checked and unfortunately it is not that easy, as the date is connected to the language pack that is installed in the forum.

 

We're probably going to have to live with it  as is.

OK, so switch the locale from EN-US to EN-GB - the yanks won't notice. It will do them good to have errors such as "center" corrected to "centre" (which is actually already happening - there seems to be a strange mishmash of locales in use, one for spelling (EN-GB) and another for time (EN-US).

 

Better still, do this only for the EU forum (it runs on worldofwarships.eu after all.

  • Cool 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×