Sign in to follow this  
NeoHyron

Nations & first Ships for a Newbie

27 comments in this topic

Players
6 posts
875 battles

Hey guys,

i just arrived at the Party. I know this question might have been asked a dozen times and i'm allready sorry for that but i hope you will be a bit forgiving to let me start into the game properly,

I'm still downloading the game, but i'm watching tutorials and browsing the wiki. Which brings me to my question:

If i start again and buy the mandatory T1 Cruiser, am i locked to that nation for a while?

Cause i'm interessted in destroyers but don't know if i want to look into Cruisers or battleships further or later.

For DD's i would like to play something with good torpedos, quite stealthy but with the possibility to use a few guns if necessary. I know there isn't such ship , so as far as i know this leaves me the choice between IJN and KM.

Which Nation and ships do you recomend for a new player who is interessted in DD's with the option to try the other classes as well?

Any helpfull advice is apreciated.

Thanks

• Cool 1

[CATS]
Players
17,383 posts
11,714 battles

I hope you used such a link:

https://playtogether.worldofwarships.eu/invite/dLmpQ50

Basicly you can change anytime, especially at low Tier. It is best to try out what you like.

Japanese and German DD are the ships you are looking for, but the Germans are more difficult to play.

• Cool 1

[KURLA]
Players
906 posts
17,512 battles

No, you're not locked into anything. You have all the T1 cruisers from the get go and a few additional port slots.

You can always start going along another line (DDs branch out form cruisers at T2, CVs from DDs and BBs from CAs at T3)

The only limitation will be how many ships you can have at the same time unless you spend some doubloons (i.e. money) to get more.

For DDs the KM should be a decent start with decent guns and good torpedos (except for the T22, whose guns are rubbish),

the line focuses more on capture control from mid-tiers on when the ships get hydro and become larger.

IJN main-line DDs have good torps as well and hard-hitting, slow reloading guns with awful handling (30s/180° turret traverse) and tend to be the stealthiest on each tier, so they might be what you're looking for.

Their DD line branches out though with the Akizuki/Harugumo line turning into a almost pure gunboat line with massive dakka on big, clumsy ships (compared to other DDs)

No clue what you mean by IRY though.

USN hybrids are good to teach DD-tactics (ambushes, smoke usage, gunning ect.) but start more as gunboats and only get good torps from T8 and up, getting very good torpedo power at T9.

The Pan-asian line is similar but gets longer range hard hitting torps earlier with the trade-off that you can't hit any DDs with them and has some inconsistencies in the playstyle.

If you want to focus on torps as you stated stay away from the RN and Soviet DDs at first. RN stuff usually is for more advanced players and Soviet DDs are pure gunboats.

For your other question:

Generally the IJN is a good starting line with classic game play on each of their lines and almost only good/decent ships along the way (looking at you Kawachi).

You could try the KM as well as their ships tend to be rather sturdy and relative consistent in their performance without requiring too much skill to make work on a low level.

just be aware that the Königsberg (t5) and Nürnberg (t6) are notorious for blowing up when a BB gives them funny looks, though that is true for most T5 and below cruisers.

The USN is a good teaching nation as well, but the skill required ramps up more than with the previous two from mid-tiers on.

[SM0KE]
Players
3,012 posts
7,209 battles
1 hour ago, NeoHyron said:

For DD's i would like to play something with good torpedos, quite stealthy but with the possibility to use a few guns if necessary.

Others have given some good pointers apropos which lines to look at, but I would be mindful of CVs in the game.

CV numbers are a little high at the moment (and with the advent of RN CVs will probably rise a bit more), due to the recent rework of the class; they're still being heavily worked on as the balance is still somewhat messed up.

The reason this matters is that their planes are supreme spotters, which can make the life of any DD that is entirely reliant on stealth rather unpleasant. This makes the classic torp line i.e. the IJN rather harder to play than sometimes (their AA is mostly worthless) when you start meeting CVs.

As a corollary, the stealth DDs are disproportionately hard to play in the teeth of planes, whereas those with good AA (by DD standards) are perhaps less so - in this context, I might suggest trying to learn to DD mainly via the US line at the moment, even though you only acquire the ability to stealth torp (fire from beyond your detection range) at T7, and they are only average with regards to stealth in the first place. Edit: the KM DDs aren't disastrous at AA, and are quite fun to learn in as well.

If you dig torpedo play, the IJN cruisers might be a worth a look, although their AA isn't great either (it's kind of a national trait, with a few exceptions at higher tiers)...

• Cool 1

Players
6 posts
875 battles
Vor 7 Stunden, ColonelPete sagte:

Ok, thanks. I used the link and as it seems to me it should have worked because i registerd, but havn't played yet.

Vor 7 Stunden, rnat sagte:

No clue what you mean by IRY though.

I'm sorry. Spellingmistake. I meant IJN.

Thank you all for your help.

It's good to know that i'm not locked to a nation at the beginning.

For the gameplay it seems to me that i will have to flip a coin between IRN and KM because both look appealing to me on paper :D

[KURLA]
Players
906 posts
17,512 battles

As several ppl stated you're not locked into anything.

Feel free to strech out your feelers and play whatever seems appealing.

[SM0KE]
Players
3,012 posts
7,209 battles
10 hours ago, NeoHyron said:

It's good to know that i'm not locked to a nation at the beginning.

If you feel The Urge, you can play every single nation and tree at once; you're only limited by resources and port slots (I have something like 175ish ships in my port, for example).

I would suggest playing as many different things as possible, up to and including Tier 4 (T5+ starts to face +2 tier opponents, which is tougher); if you play all the classes at least a bit, besides narrowing down which are your favourites, you'll have a better idea of what they're all trying to do to you (and can/can't do to you) which will make you a better player in whatever ships turn out to be your main thing.

Crucially though, take your time; this isn't a typical shooter - it'll take a while to get the hang of all the mechanics and weird nuances of the game, so don't worry if your early games sometimes go horribly pear-shaped.

BTW if you get prematurely exploded, it's worth taking some time to watch what some of your team-mates are doing (after you're dead, you can click between your surviving team-mates); you will sometimes learn some useful lessons that way, albeit often 'what not to do' (especially at lower tiers)...

Players
244 posts
1,407 battles

As a fellow newbie I'd say don't get fixated on what you think you initially want to play. Just understand the subtle differences between the T1 cruisers and you start to understand how ship stats affect different aspects of their performance.

None of the T1 ships are significantly better or worse than others, but how you play them individually makes a big difference in success. Understanding T1 stats and ship performance is only a toe in the water, but I think it gives a good grounding in interpreting where you want to go next. And all the T1 cruisers are easy to divert from at T2, but you'll soon realise 'this T1 cruiser plays more like a DD, this plays more like a CC, this more like a BB', so don't ignore them.

Players
6 posts
875 battles
Am 27.2.2019 um 19:43, 250swb sagte:

As a fellow newbie I'd say don't get fixated on what you think you initially want to play. Just understand the subtle differences between the T1 cruisers and you start to understand how ship stats affect different aspects of their performance.

None of the T1 ships are significantly better or worse than others, but how you play them individually makes a big difference in success. Understanding T1 stats and ship performance is only a toe in the water, but I think it gives a good grounding in interpreting where you want to go next. And all the T1 cruisers are easy to divert from at T2, but you'll soon realise 'this T1 cruiser plays more like a DD, this plays more like a CC, this more like a BB', so don't ignore them.

That's an interessting aspect and i tried to focus on this a few battles...but i have to admit that i can't tell you a reasonable difference between the T1 cruisers. A few have a better "feeling" for me, but why? I have no clue.

I just noticed by playing the Promo T2 ship (i got by the buddy-invite link) that ship handling will divert so much more on T2+.

So I will stick around T1 and T2 (maybe T3) a bit.

[SM0KE]
Players
3,012 posts
7,209 battles
28 minutes ago, NeoHyron said:

i have to admit that i can't tell you a reasonable difference between the T1 cruisers.

FWIW it's not just you: WG have done quite a good job of making them sufficiently similar now that most of the unique flavour has gone (for example, the RN one used to get AP, which was hilariously OP if you knew how to aim, but was removed a few updates ago).

The Tier 1s are basically there to teach the essentials of gunfire and manoeuvre, without having to worry about torps much (unless you face T2 DDs); T2 and up gets a lot more interesting, and not much harder, although you will start having to dodge torps...

• Cool 1

[KURLA]
Players
906 posts
17,512 battles
3 hours ago, Verblonde said:

The Tier 1s are basically there to teach the essentials of gunfire and manoeuvre, without having to worry about torps much (unless you face T2 DDs)

Meeting T2s in a T1 is only possible if you division with someone in a T2 ship,

WG put T1 into it's own MM bracket a while ago to make it more beginner friendly as it's a bit rough to potentially deal with a 10 gun cruiser in what is basically a patrol vessel.

• Cool 1

[SM0KE]
Players
3,012 posts
7,209 battles
1 hour ago, rnat said:

G put T1 into it's own MM bracket a while ago

I missed that; most recent T1 games for me were Blitz, and I think they occasionally see T2 still there...

Players
6 posts
875 battles
Vor 9 Stunden, Verblonde sagte:

FWIW it's not just you: WG have done quite a good job of making them sufficiently similar now that most of the unique flavour has gone (for example, the RN one used to get AP, which was hilariously OP if you knew how to aim, but was removed a few updates ago).

The Tier 1s are basically there to teach the essentials of gunfire and manoeuvre, without having to worry about torps much (unless you face T2 DDs); T2 and up gets a lot more interesting, and not much harder, although you will start having to dodge torps...

Ok good to know that.

Yeah yeah, torps... The moment you get torped by a bot in your Diana because you tried to start a fight in less then 2km to get your secondarys on target :cap_like:

Best idea ever. 

But at least i realised the value of speed and steering response. Diana is slow and clumsy as hell. 

[KURLA]
Players
906 posts
17,512 battles

Top tip: Secondaries usually aren't worth it unless you're in a high tier german or french BB and running a secondary build.

And don't try to get that close to a ship with torpedoes if you don't have torpedoes yourself.

If your opponent has a weapon (or consumable) you don't it's usually best to make sure he/she can't use it effectively against you.

Also while the rate of turn generally gets better later on due to the higher speeds, higher tier cruisers can't turn nearly as tight

as the elongated shapes, that enable them to have higher speeds in a straight line are bad for maneuverability.

• Cool 1

[SM0KE]
Players
3,012 posts
7,209 battles
7 hours ago, NeoHyron said:

Diana is slow and clumsy as hell.

She's still quite fun though: you want to pummel people at medium range, as you have quite a good rate of fire, and (as @rnat alludes to) keep your secondaries as a 'last resort' thing i.e. don't rely on them at all - low tier secondaries are almost universally awful.

Although there is a temptation to stick exclusively to HE on the low tier Russians, it's worth at least experimenting with AP too - learning which ammo type to shoot, and where, and at what are invaluable skills for higher tier battles later on.

• Cool 1

Players
5,074 posts
6,257 battles
1 hour ago, rnat said:

Top tip: Secondaries usually aren't worth it unless you're in a high tier german or french BB and running a secondary build.

And then there's Mikasa.

• Cool 1

Players
6 posts
875 battles
Am 27.2.2019 um 19:43, 250swb sagte:

As a fellow newbie I'd say don't get fixated on what you think you initially want to play.

The moment you realise the truth in these wise words.

Came here for IJN DD's - stayed for KM CA. 

I tryed the Umikaze but i ain't hitting crap with torps. 

So maybe that won't be my way to go (at least not for the moment). 

Never the less, i would like to thank you all for your help and advice. 

• Cool 1

[KURLA]
Players
906 posts
17,512 battles

With torpedo boats you have to anticipate what your enemy will do next in order to reliably hit them.

It's a thing one grows into over time, no need to feel frustrated.

Cruisers are a good pick though (no matter what the BB-mains say ^^), lot's of dakka at the start so it's easy to learn aiming as well.

The most important thing in any case is that you're having fun. Don't let anything get in the way of that.

• Cool 1

[BONI]
Players
1,200 posts
10,690 battles

Honestly, as a DD main, I recommend getting a 10-point captain with Concealment Expert if you're going to play DD. It's a must-have to do your job and be competitive vs. DDs that have it. If I were to start a new account and wanted to play DD, I'd first get to t6 with any other ship type and get a 10-point captain from the Operations.

If you want a good versatile DD, I recommend German, UK or Panasian lines. Most Japanese have slightly subpar guns, while USA start out as close-quarters brawlers and thus not recommended for new players. Truth be told, Panasia has a couple of bumps in the line that can be problematic too.

• Cool 1

Players
6 posts
875 battles

Hey guys,

it has been a while and i'm sorry to bother you again.

After a few "experimentations" at the beginning, i decided to following the Tech-tree of the USN. Mostly because of their rapid firing guns, fast turret traverse and good AA.

After St. Louis in the Cruiser-line you get lighter cruisers with Phenix and Omaha. I really liked the style of the Phenix. Good AA for her tier and fast enough to hunt destroyers. But with Omaha i'm having some difficulties.

Ok, granted. Some of them accour because i still suck at the game (Example: Getting citadeled and one-shotted by a BB because i turned to dodge a torpedo...analysis: I shouldn't have been there in the first place)

...And i like the US-DD's ...still lerning but i like them. (Clemson at the moment)

I planned to follow the light Cruiserline of the USN...but i have heard that US-ships will behave very different after Omaha. So i'm a little concerned.

Regarding my preferenced i pointed out, would you recommend me to follow a diffrent Tech-tree or should i stay at US for the moment?

[TORCH]
Players
136 posts
1,741 battles

After the Omaha you get to choose between the Pensacola (heavy cruiser) and the Dallas (light cruiser). Comparing them to the Omaha:

The same:

• They blow up if somebody looks at them. Just like the Omaha. Do not make the mistake of thinking that the Pensacola has heavy armour or hitpoints... it does not. All 3 ships do not like to get hit.

The difference:

• You will loose the torps. Both the Pensacola and the Dallas do not have torps. This is for the both lines till the end.
  • Pensacola: 203 mm guns, heavy hitting, slow reload.
  • Dallas: 152 mm guns, faster reload.

[SM0KE]
Players
3,012 posts
7,209 battles
On 4/19/2019 at 2:27 AM, NeoHyron said:

Mostly because of their rapid firing guns, fast turret traverse and good AA.

You've possibly already answered your question a bit further down your post:

On 4/19/2019 at 2:27 AM, NeoHyron said:

And i like the US-DD's ...still lerning but i like them. (Clemson at the moment)

The US DD line is one of the best to be pushing at the moment: they have (by DD standards) excellent AA, which keeps the newly resurgent CVs from stomping all over you as badly as they might otherwise - at T5 you get access to DefAA (with the second hull), which helps too. From T7, you also get access to the ability to stealth torp, which is a welcome addition.

Returning to the question of continuing US cruisers beyond Omaha, @Zigiran's answer covers you pretty well. I would suggest the question to ask yourself is how much do you like torpedoes? If you find them pretty much essential, perhaps give the IJN cruisers a lash for a bit, or maybe focus more on the US DDs, since you're there already (the Germans aren't a bad alternative too); if you like torps as a 'last ditch' defence, perhaps have a look at the Russians - the guns are easier to hit with (much less floaty), but you still explode if sneezed at, and the torps really are short-ranged.

I'm pretty pants with cruisers, so I'm not sure how useful my view is, but I tend to think that the US cruisers (BBs too, come to that) are more rewarding once you've learned to shoot straight, as guns are your only option. Whilst you're getting the hang of effective gunnery, torps can be pretty helpful for doing damage in the meantime.

Either way, whatever you pick, it'll take a while to master - at time of writing, you're showing 205 battles across all modes; that's very few. That's a good thing too, as it gives you lots of scope for improvement and experimentation. Also, bear in mind, the lower tier ships are very inexpensive, and relatively quick to research, so now is a good time to experiment with as many ship types as possible, as getting to T4 (a good place to pause for a while, as you still have +1MM) won't take long or empty your silver reserves as badly as higher tiers will.

Players
5,074 posts
6,257 battles
44 minutes ago, Verblonde said:

You've possibly already answered your question a bit further down your post:

The US DD line is one of the best to be pushing at the moment: they have (by DD standards) excellent AA, which keeps the newly resurgent CVs from stomping all over you as badly as they might otherwise - at T5 you get access to DefAA (with the second hull), which helps too.

Against terrible CVs.

[SM0KE]
Players
3,012 posts
7,209 battles
13 minutes ago, Cagliostro_chan said:

Against terrible CVs.

I would say they're better than that; whilst a good CV will take you to the cleaners (the best you can hope for is to hold him up for a bit), an average DD player can hold their own against an average CV player - you just have to play a bit smarter than the traditional 'rush straight to cap' approach, and manage your AA sensibly.

Full disclosure: I've mainly been playing US DDs T7-10 since the rework, so much of my experience is the higher tiers for this stuff.

Players
5,074 posts
6,257 battles
4 hours ago, Verblonde said:

I would say they're better than that; whilst a good CV will take you to the cleaners (the best you can hope for is to hold him up for a bit), an average DD player can hold their own against an average CV player - you just have to play a bit smarter than the traditional 'rush straight to cap' approach, and manage your AA sensibly.

Full disclosure: I've mainly been playing US DDs T7-10 since the rework, so much of my experience is the higher tiers for this stuff.

I'd say, I'm average and haven't experienced much of an issue with killing USN DDs in my T8 CVs. You basically would have to invest fully into AA to actually make a difference and even then, your hp might take a good few hits that can hardly be recovered.

Sign in to follow this