Sign in to follow this  
Mechthart

CV tips for an old-fart-newbie

5 comments in this topic

Players
20 posts
14,922 battles

Hello fellow captains,

not really a newbie here, but I started my career as a CV captain more or less 2 days ago and cannot figure out some issues... so maybe the experienced air jockeys can give me a hand here:

1. If I strike with my US DB squadrons and really want to do just a single pass in order to conserve planes, do I press RTB right after the strike or do I fly out my bombers manually? Any benefit to that? (Evading flak, taking a more optimal route away from AA ships...)

2. Is it just me or is the pre-strike aiming reticle of the Midway's rocket planes (Tiny Tims... will change that, unreliable stuff) a bit too far out? About half a second to a second at normal flight speed? On the Langley and the Ranger those were more or less spot on, but I tend to overshoot a bit in the Midway's fighters...

3. I think I will figure that one out with experience, but: Does accelerating and decelerating still work while in a strike animation? I think it does for the RFs and TBs, but what about the divebombers? Can I slightly adjust my reticle when reaching up and diving down to strike? In the direction of my flight axis, not perpendicular to it ( that obviously works....)?

Thanks in advance,

CV newbie Mechthart out

[ADRIA]
[ADRIA]
Players
4,945 posts
7,160 battles
1 hour ago, Mechthart said:

1. If I strike with my US DB squadrons and really want to do just a single pass in order to conserve planes, do I press RTB right after the strike or do I fly out my bombers manually? Any benefit to that? (Evading flak, taking a more optimal route away from AA ships...)

If you mean pressing F to return your aircraft before they drop you should always do that outside of enemy AA

I started my career as a CV captain more or less 2 days ago

Midway's

I think I see your problem. Question - can you see it from those 2 quotes?

Does accelerating and decelerating still work while in a strike animation?

Yes

• Cool 1

Players
20 posts
14,922 battles

Thanks man, quick response :)

Hey, what do you mean, I already perform on average potato level, that's not too bad for my first 6 games in the ship.... oh boy, now I'm inviting bad luck, eh...

[ADRIA]
[ADRIA]
Players
4,945 posts
7,160 battles
3 minutes ago, Mechthart said:

Hey, what do you mean, I already perform on average potato level, that's not too bad for my first 6 games in the ship....

I mean you just FreeXP'd to tier 10, and you think it's allright because you had couple lucky games.

Imagine this - you have never played a single game in DDs, but you decided to FreeXp to tier 10 and start there. You'd be one super-useful DD, wouldn't you?

• Cool 1

Players
20 posts
14,922 battles

Well... probably not, but Langley was ewwww, Ranger was meh... so I just skipped the Lexington... and (maybe that's just bias, I admit it...) I feel I can at least perform on an average level in the Midway... and really, is that so low of a starting point? Do I have to have unicum stats (whatever that might be) before buying the ship?

I see where you come from... and if I find myself becoming a liability for my team, I will go back and learn some more...

Anyway, thanx again for your help, especially the manual fly-out thing was important!

Sign in to follow this