Sign in to follow this  
KINGM98B

just another help post

4 comments in this topic

Players
1 post
16 battles

So I've made the switch from world of tanks on the Xbox to world of warships on the pc and I'm struggling a little. 

The first few stages were ok. Taking on tr bots were fine. I only have tier 2 ships and the games have started putting me in games with real players and I just get my [edited]kicked. 

Im doing all the basic stuff, sticking with the team. Using cover (the island) my shots seem to be landing but out of nowhere I'll get owned. 

Any tips to last longer in battle. I just want to be able to help the team more and not be such a potato. I'm watching YouTube videos etc too to help with this. 

Thanks 

[ADRIA]
[ADRIA]
Players
4,945 posts
7,160 battles
11 minutes ago, KINGM98B said:

I only have tier 2 ships and the games have started putting me in games with real players and I just get my [edited]kicked. 

Top-center of your screen, to the right of the "Battle" button there is gamemode selection. If you're not comfortable playing PvP (Random Battles) just yet, you can always switch back to PvE (Co-Op)

Keep in mind that playing against bots you won't learn much more than maybe the very basics of the game. Bots only tactic is "always charge", while humans tend to do all kinds of different stuff - lemmingtrain right, lemmingtrain left, camp spawn... That's just to name a few of the popular ones :Smile_trollface:

PvP will require a bit more skill, but also teach you more. That is, if you yourself are willing to learn. YouTube and Twitch can be very helpful in this regard

15 minutes ago, KINGM98B said:

Im doing all the basic stuff, sticking with the team. Using cover (the island) my shots seem to be landing but out of nowhere I'll get owned. 

Well, with 16 battles noone expects you to have great in-depth knowledge. Play more, get the feel for it. You'll [probably] start to notice & understand more stuff.

A good advice for "how not to get deleted" is - don't give enemies your flat broadside, or at least try to do it as rarely as possible

17 minutes ago, KINGM98B said:

Any tips to last longer in battle. I just want to be able to help the team more and not be such a potato. I'm watching YouTube videos etc too to help with this. 

Just play more. It's a question of knowing the game, and that comes with experience

• Cool 2

[CATS]
Players
17,380 posts
11,714 battles
  • you need to get used to the game
  • take note of the minimap (make it bigger)
  • use the alternate battle interface (turn it on in the preferences)
  • do not overextend
  • try to limit the number of ships that can shoot at you
  • take note which type of ships sink you, be more aware of them in the future

[SM0KE]
Players
3,012 posts
7,209 battles
52 minutes ago, KINGM98B said:

Any tips to last longer in battle.

Don't get shot! That's less idiotic advice than it might seem at first:

• Try and avoid being the first thing that the enemy see; people tend to shoot at, and stay focused on, the first thing that appears in front of them.
  • Equip your ship properly; at lower tiers, this means camo: although they cost silver (don't use doubloons ones, wait until you get free ones), most of them slightly reduce your detection range. Higher tiers (and more experienced captains) get extra methods to reduce visibility.
  • Apply WASD hax: too many people drive in a straight line, at a constant speed; vary your speed and heading, and you'll be harder to hit.
  • Remove enemy guns (and torps) from the game: there is no such thing as kill-stealing; generally speaking, finish off weakened enemies - it'll stop them firing at you.
  • Work on situational awareness (this takes time); keep an eye on your mini-map (and make it bigger if you haven't already, plus make sure 'last known position' is enabled) - this'll make it harder for people to sneak up on, or flank you.
  • Be mindful of the terrain around you: if you duck behind an island when fired upon, you can often escape excessive damage (beware of guns with 'rainbow' arcs though - they may still be able to get you); you can also break contact with smoke too, but don't sit still in it - you'll get torped (torping smoke is a very standard tactic).
  • Learn to shoot/aim (iChase can help - see below): besides sinking the enemy before they can sink you, people will sometimes avoid serious threats (or possibly focus them down, which is less good), maybe reducing the volume of fire heading your way.

I would also suggest joining a clan, ideally a 'teaching' one: besides economic benefits, your clan people will probably be happy to teach you, and critique your technique. Keep asking questions on here too - people are generally very happy to help people who want to learn. Don't expect instant miracles though: you are showing 16 battles at time of writing; it commonly takes around 1,000 to fully get the hang of the game, and WOWS is very different to WOT (I'm another transfer, only from the PC and Blitz versions).

It's also a good idea to watch tutorials online (search YouTube for 'iChase Gaming' - his Captain's Academy series is very good, for example), and look up the ships you have, plus game mechanics, on the wiki (http://wiki.wargaming.net/en/World_of_Warships) - this has a lot of information in it, so focus only on the stuff you need right now, to start with.

• Cool 1

Sign in to follow this