British CVs Arc & Collection

27 comments in this topic

[WG-EU]
[WG-EU]
WG Staff, Alpha Tester
2,664 posts
2,543 battles

Captains,

Please leave any feedback on the British CVs thematic arc and new Naval Aviation collection here. If you have any questions about the event, be sure to check out our portal article first: https://worldofwarships.eu/en/news/game-updates/fly-strike-win/

[HOO]
Beta Tester, Players, In AlfaTesters
2,174 posts

Event fatigue is a thing, you know. The directives look nice and the framework is polished, but boy... it's too much on too short of a time. The time-gating and short durations of the directives are killing WoWS for me. Cut us some slack, will you. 

Apart from that: rewards are "acceptable yet dull & predictable", missions aren't too ridiculous (EU ARP NACHI PTSD), yet having plane-kills as a requirement in an unbalanced CV rework state is just bad taste. They happen from time to time, don't do that, don't force people to endure PvP with carriers.

• Cool 11

[OLEUM]
Players
127 posts
15,783 battles

I hoped to be able to play with the new British CVs 

but even at t4 is unreachable,  in the short term

[LIEGE]
Beta Tester
82 posts
3,858 battles

Just tried to buy HMS Hermes, but it says the ship is still in "early access" with no cost for research/purchase.

Not sure what is going on ...but it's frustrating...can anyone explain please.

[BOBS3]
[BOBS3]
Players
445 posts
27 minutes ago, Guy01 said:

Just tried to buy HMS Hermes, but it says the ship is still in "early access" with no cost for research/purchase.

Not sure what is going on ...but it's frustrating...can anyone explain please.

You buy it in the Arsenal, in the "Fly, Strike, Win" section, once you have enough Crowns and Florins from the directives and missions or giving WG money (for doubloons for Crowns or, when available, buying the premium containers).

• Cool 2

[_VI_]
Alpha Tester
136 posts
1,844 battles

One of the first and most striking things I noticed with the arrival of British CVs, is the spesific lack of a very important aircraft that I think many people had come to expect to be present at least on the tier X carrier. 

I understand that HMS Audacious is under a "coming soon" warning and likely/may change before here arrival, however she is very much notably missing the Hawker Sea Fury Naval Fighter?

Spoiler

SeaFury1951.jpg

Image result for hawker sea fury carrier

Image result for hawker sea fury carrier

Even the World of Warships: Naval Legends - British Fleet Air Arms Warplanes video highlights this aircraft, which gave some heavy indication that it would be part of the game. 

Is there any main reason why HMS Audacious's upgrades are just flat Wyverns across the board for strike, torpedo and bomber? This seems like a huge waste and rather boring option considering the Sea Fury does indeed exist and is far more successful and historically significant. Not to mention, we have the F8F Bearcat in game as an attack aircraft, so why not the Sea Fury?

I really do hope this is changed for the better as Audacious looks really, really lackluster with just Wyverns across the board and the clear gap of a very significant aircraft in British Naval aviation. 

Both Midway and Hakuryu both have a clear representative of a pinnacle piston engined fighter, so why is the British carrier fielding the same aircraft 3 times in all 3 slots when there is a rather obvious candidate right here?

I really hope this is just an early / placeholder / WIP stage for Audacious and that the Sea Fury is indeed considered. 

• Cool 3

[BOBS3]
[BOBS3]
Players
445 posts
3 hours ago, Hawker96 said:

Even the World of Warships: Naval Legends - British Fleet Air Arms Warplanes video highlights this aircraft

...and they got it right that it is the Fleet Air Arm rather than the Royal Air Force (as labelled in the collection). I was expecting the Sea Fury myself, though at least we get Sea Hornets on Indomitable if the tester I saw is any indication.

• Cool 1

[VL-NL]
[VL-NL]
Players
6 posts
2,803 battles

Just managed to unlock HMS Hermes and first combat impression aren't great but that was to be expected at the moment with torps doing only 3k damage and flak ranges of tier 4 and 5 ships being longer than secondary gun ranges...go figure that one out!! A/C are very slow even the strike a/c (100kts in game where as the cruising speed for a gladiators is actually 184kts) slower than the torpedo planes off the Langley I know was in a match with one and both aircraft carrier ended up doing 17k dmg and bottom of the table not for lack of effort but poor damage figures and terrible loss of planes. Only running the 3 point captain given on  purchase but if you cannot do decent damage people will not take them into game. There nice to look at in the harbour though which is exactly where she will now reside.

[RSC]
Players
13 posts
3,786 battles

Dear WoWs-Team

I was wondering why you have chosen a project as the new T10 GB-CV? Great Britain built an actual Audacious-Class (HMS Eagle and HMS Ark Royal), it looks even quiet the same as yours. Initially, the Eagle did not get an angled flight deck and the timeframe of the ship would also fit (laid down in 1942 and commissioned in 1951) considering that the Moskwa-Project is from 1953. So why a paper-ship instead of a real one? 

Have a nice Day

LucGvR

[-NYX-]
Players
124 posts
4,295 battles

No Sea Fury ?
How stupid can it be !

The only real good change in the total rework of CV's is that we can see the planes.
I don't choose the best option but the best looking planes.
Well British do have some ugly planes... but to the positive site of that they do have one of the most beautiful ones,.... THE SEA FURY !

And it isn't on any CV
Guess no British grind for me......

Huge misser !

[KAKE]
Players
1,423 posts
3,717 battles

Everything is just spiffy, aside from the minor detail that seven out of the fourteen collection items I've received so far have been the "800 Naval Air Squadron" emblem :fish_boom:

Weekend Tester
791 posts

A tad underpowered considering the torp protection belts, at times your lucky to get 4k damage from one torp, put that against a normal torp and its pretty bad, i'm not wanting the same amount of damage as a normal torp, but the damage could go up a bit.

• Cool 1

[SBS2]
Players
4 posts
23,252 battles

i think they have fuked cv's just do nothing anymore

[TRRC]
Players
566 posts

Like the Brits Cv, I'm gonna sell the unplayable japs before the deadline!

BTW: I played the Lex today in the PT, she can move the torp planes after aiming without a great dispersion as the japs that are unplayable... great! America, america... Ok we need Jimi then!

• Cool 1

[TRRC]
[TRRC]
Players
233 posts
5,787 battles
On 3/5/2019 at 9:34 AM, LucGvR said:

Dear WoWs-Team

I was wondering why you have chosen a project as the new T10 GB-CV? Great Britain built an actual Audacious-Class (HMS Eagle and HMS Ark Royal), it looks even quiet the same as yours. Initially, the Eagle did not get an angled flight deck and the timeframe of the ship would also fit (laid down in 1942 and commissioned in 1951) considering that the Moskwa-Project is from 1953. So why a paper-ship instead of a real one? 

Have a nice Day

LucGvR

U are not thinking.....Ark Royal probably will be a premium one:P

[RSC]
Players
13 posts
3,786 battles

I am, probably the Ark Royal from 1938 (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HMS_Ark_Royal_(91))  will become a premium ship but i don't think that the one from 1955 (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HMS_Ark_Royal_(R09)) will be in the game cause it had an angled flight deck.

I spoke from the HMS Eagle, commissioned in 1951. it is quiet similar to the Audacious in the game. The Eagle would be a real ship fitting, from my point of view, all the requirements of a in game-CV. Normally WoWs prefers to take real ship, but for whatever reason this time they took a paper-ship, instead of an carrier which actually existed. So probably the Eagle will become a Premium too.

For me it is quite a disappointment – I prefer real ships, especially if there are suitable ones.

[RSC]
Players
13 posts
3,786 battles
Vor 7 Stunden, Wilkinson87 sagte:

U are not thinking.....Ark Royal probably will be a premium one:P

I am, probably the Ark Royal from 1938 (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HMS_Ark_Royal_(91))  will become a premium ship but i don't think that the one from 1955 (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HMS_Ark_Royal_(R09)) will be in the game cause it had an angled flight deck.

I spoke from the HMS Eagle, commissioned in 1951. it is quiet similar to the Audacious in the game. The Eagle would be a real ship fitting, from my point of view, all the requirements of a in game-CV. Normally WoWs prefers to take real ship, but for whatever reason this time they took a paper-ship, instead of an carrier which actually existed. So probably the Eagle will become a Premium too.

For me it is quite a disappointment – I prefer real ships, especially if there are suitable ones.

Players
5,439 posts
8,137 battles

Leander premium paint and Lightning event paint are missing alternate colors, definitely not working as intended on former, not so sure on latter case:cap_hmm:

Spoiler

As you can see, collection is clearly completed as I can apply alternate colors on base camouflages

shot-19-03-10-22-48-54-0740.jpg

shot-19-03-10-22-49-21-0942.jpg

[-WLF-]
Players
1 post
5,853 battles

I know this was a Scenario Battle and that my performance wasn't exactly epic - but doesn't the reward numbers seem a tad on the low side? - With daily win bonus. this one...

CVScreenshot.jpg

Players
7 posts
2,920 battles

I have been playing several battles in the T4 and T6 CVs; Rockets are accurate and torpedoes are absurdly slow, but I can work with that.

On the other hand, cluster bombs are the worst thing that this game has seen in a while. How can the americans hit more with three bombs than the brits with 6? I would expect to get a lot of low damage hits, rather than a  few hard hits and fires, but almost every attack run end with all bombs splashing all around the target. The aiming reticle is smaller than the americans, but accuracy is worse, which doesn't add up. Even the microscopic reticle on the japanese AP bombs is representative of where they will fall, but on brits anything goes.

Also, it is impossible to be useful to the team in a bottom tier CV. I can make work any other class, but getting deplaned in the first minutes makes me useless for the rest of the match.

Players
816 posts

Was in a match tonight, got killed and followed our team CV and noticed that the tier 8 Lex CV drops 3 torps and not 2 like the T8 Brit CV. Also noticed watching the torps hit a BB ship from it, they seemed to do far more damage per hit from the Lex - than the pathetic small damage the torps do per hit from the T8 Brit CV. And lets face it, you don't get that much damage from the rockets and bombs to make up for it with the Brit T8 CV. Most bombs actually don't even pen half the time. And yes, dropping bombs its seem most of them miss even though your aim was spot on target. It's another thing that also makes the bombs weak, too many missing, along with the lack of pen most have when they do hit.

They could increase the damage of the torps from the Brit CV considering the T8 drops less torps than the Lex CV at T8. Yet the Brit CV seems to do less damage per torp hit (with fewer torps) dropped. Did they think that was a smart move, all because the Brit CV can drop torps closer in? Bit daft that, as it still drops less torps anyway, so it shouldn't have weaker torps.

[MIAU]
[MIAU]
Players
2,888 posts

That was (currently is) the worst event I have so far witnessed.

1. The purchasable item, payable with the special event currency, for the early access to a silver ship is completly out of reach unless you pay money for premium crates.
  2. Drop rates for ship missions for normal crates are almost non-existent (the message behind it: buy premium crates for a better but still very low chance).
  3. Carriers as such are currently in a bad place in regards to balance. Unless you are playing a tier X to be alway top tier. So it is generally a bad idea to create an event around it.
  4. Plane kill missions for this or parallel running events are only achievable with luck or by MM manipulation (division dropping with a CV) due to point 3.
  5. There is nothing worth fighting / playing for. It is all just a big mess where the closer you get to the finish line the harder you come realize that it never was supposed to be "winnable" by the common free2play player.

And with point 5 becoming ever more evident, I'd need to say that such a thing is the worst kind of advertisment you can do for your game. Never repeat such a thing again. It is just a big disapointment.

• Cool 3

[POPAS]
[POPAS]
Players
8 posts
20,076 battles

The Rules of the "Fly! Strike! Win! ae not valid from now on?

The first one says: "As before, you get four new Stages, with each lasting for one week. A Stage consists of four Directives, each comprising six to eight combat and economic missions, with rewards ranging from various in-game loot to Crowns and Air Supply containers.".

Where are "Crowns and Air Supply containers" in this last Stage?

[BYOB]
Players
3,524 posts
13,275 battles
On 3/18/2019 at 2:05 PM, Egoleter said:

That was (currently is) the worst event I have so far witnessed.

1. The purchasable item, payable with the special event currency, for the early access to a silver ship is completly out of reach unless you pay money for premium crates.
  2. Drop rates for ship missions for normal crates are almost non-existent (the message behind it: buy premium crates for a better but still very low chance).
  3. Carriers as such are currently in a bad place in regards to balance. Unless you are playing a tier X to be alway top tier. So it is generally a bad idea to create an event around it.
  4. Plane kill missions for this or parallel running events are only achievable with luck or by MM manipulation (division dropping with a CV) due to point 3.
  5. There is nothing worth fighting / playing for. It is all just a big mess where the closer you get to the finish line the harder you come realize that it never was supposed to be "winnable" by the common free2play player.

And with point 5 becoming ever more evident, I'd need to say that such a thing is the worst kind of advertisment you can do for your game. Never repeat such a thing again. It is just a big disapointment.

I wholeheartedly agree with all your points. However i believe that WG will continue on this road and make the free to play users feel unwelcome, or at least a second class of player.

1 hour ago, rtm42 said:

The Rules of the "Fly! Strike! Win! ae not valid from now on?

The first one says: "As before, you get four new Stages, with each lasting for one week. A Stage consists of four Directives, each comprising six to eight combat and economic missions, with rewards ranging from various in-game loot to Crowns and Air Supply containers.".

Where are "Crowns and Air Supply containers" in this last Stage?

WG "forgot" to tell us that only 3 weeks of containers were planned. You can attribute it either to malice or incompetence, both are at the end a measure of their profesionalism.

• Cool 2

[MIAU]
[MIAU]
Players
2,888 posts
5 hours ago, Aragathor said:

However i believe that WG will continue on this road and make the free to play users feel unwelcome, or at least a second class of player.

That's my fear as well. And I wasn't even a free2play player anymore, as I sometimes purchased small items just to support the game or the community.

This event, as well as the recent decision in regards to no longer care about premium ship balance if it means nerfs to those ships, made me rethink my spending behavior. I will not financially support the direction Wargaming is heading with this game. To bad that I'll probably be one of some very few.

• Cool 1

Sign in to follow this