Port UI & Client Stability Improvements

32 comments in this topic

[WG-EU]
[WG-EU]
WG Staff, Alpha Tester
2,664 posts
2,543 battles

Captains,

Please leave any feedback on the port UI & client stability improvements here.

[ADRIA]
Players
518 posts
12,071 battles

Port UI feels slower than ever. Also, it takes few attempts to open clan tab. Only fast, responsive thing in port is camera rotation, everything else was slowed down. I think it's high time you tackle complete UI rework.

Another thing, do we really need this many currencies? Gonna need to hire an accountant to keep track of everything. :Smile_facepalm:

1.thumb.jpg.4e2f314031fdce997361103ced967b82.jpg

• Cool 2
  • Funny 1

[MIAU]
[MIAU]
Players
2,888 posts

The positive

42 minutes ago, quickr said:

Port UI feels slower than ever. Also, it takes few attempts to open clan tab. Only fast, responsive thing in port is camera rotation, everything else was slowed down. I think it's high time you tackle complete UI rework.

I can't confirm this.

Yesterday, when I selected a ship or tried to open the contacts, it took several seconds for the interface to react. Today there is almost no delay left for those actions. Clan tab opened immediatly for me.

The port interface feels much more responsive to me. It's a massive improvement.

The negative

What I noticed is that my music setting was reset. I disabled music in port and battle previously yet it was playing again. I disabled it once more and hope it stays that way.

There is also now that drumlike sound when you click to enter battle repeated several times during matchfinding and joining the battle as well. That's a bit annoying.

A sound clip playing after each login.

[BYOB]
Players
3,524 posts
13,275 battles
36 minutes ago, quickr said:

Port UI feels slower than ever.

Seconded. The UI feels like a fly in a tar pit. Everything is so slow I had to check if something wasn't right.

It's horrible and I don't see any improvement at all, quite the contrary in fact.

• Cool 1

[HOO]
Beta Tester, Players, In AlfaTesters
2,174 posts

Thirdeded... it feels REALLY sluggish & cumbersome. It wasn't great to begin with, but it was workable. Now it feels like the entire computer is coated in a thick gloop. 

The "open all containers"-button is a great addition though, now it needs to be expanded with a checkbox for "remember container choice" and "show container animation".

[ADRIA]
[ADRIA]
Players
4,945 posts
7,160 battles
2 hours ago, Egoleter said:

What I noticed is that my music setting was reset.

I think that’s because of how music settings changed

Players
1,647 posts
12,173 battles

The new Port is nowhere near as fluid and responsive as in the public test. There does seem to be a slight improvement in places but the usual juddering in the transitions remains, and switching from Port to the Clan Menu took a full minute. Which is worse than it used to be. (Switching back and forth, it "only" takes five seconds the second time...) Edit: Clicking the News button takes three seconds to get a response.

On the plus side, it seems to no longer revert to the Twitch port whenever the game client is restarted or the computer rebooted, and that annoyance had already been gone before the new patch arrived. So that's good.

Edit: Regarding stability, I got disconnected during the fourth game today which unfortunately was the first Random battle. However, that could have been my router's / provider's fault because apparently there has to be a DC once per day from the DSL line for some stupid reason. The bad thing is that the damage counters were gone once I rejoined the game which I don't remember ever noticing after DCs in the past.

• Cool 1

[OLEUM]
Players
127 posts
15,783 battles

it seems less bad than in 8.0. there, the game regularly froze for several seconds
but it is still not good.

had a tip that the cleaning up the contact list can help. 

if that effect, it is little

• Cool 1

[ADRIA]
[ADRIA]
Players
4,945 posts
7,160 battles

The camera for looking at ship and spinning around it - significantly smoother and faster

Anything that gives you a popup (like mouse-over some camo / signal) is an instant freeze for like a second

Arsenal, Inventory, tabs alike - they take those same typical 3 years to open

Players
327 posts
12,694 battles

Didn't really notice much positive change. Overall it seems to be about equal in responsiveness to previous builds. One negative change I did notice was that it now takes about 2 s for the 'Modules' display to show up when switching from one ship to another. That seems a lot slower than before.

• Cool 1

Players
3,477 posts
8,165 battles

I'll just copy paste what I've written earlier on the forums instead of doinga  rewrite of what is basically the same thing to me:

43 minutes ago, NothingButTheRain said:

This I agree with.

The lag spikes are still there and it makes me very grumpy while in game.

I was playing in a div last evening (some recreational Narai with some of the boyz) and it was like me wanting to type to them that I needed to switch ships and after 1 1/2 words the cursor would disappear, windows loading circle thingy appeared and the screen turned white-ish as if the program was locking up, screen turning black completely for up to 10 seconds or more, iirc there were also some flashes somewhere in the mix, these lag spikes are like 20 seconds of having to wait for the lag spike to end.

And then I noticed not all words I had typed were actually types so I had to re-set the cursor in the text field so I could quickly finish the sentence before the next lag spike hits...oh crap too late. Here we go again! :Smile_facepalm:another lag spike and me having to wait 20 seconds or so (I'd not be surprised if this was even longer) so I'm literally busy for a full minute, just to tell my div mates that I need a couple seconds (ha ha) to get my next ship ready. And then I get the question of what is keeping me :fish_book: (which of course is also delayed to arrive at my client due to all the lockups).

And by that time I haven't even selected my bloody ship yet! :Smile-angry::Smile_facepalm:

Players
3,477 posts
8,165 battles

And I got more to add. When opening up my contact list (for instance because I want to ask around if anyone is up for a div), it takes a full minute just to open up the list while the rest of the game becomes completely unresponsive.

I've already made it a habit to do some reading on the forums, on reddit or watch a twitch stream until the contacts list has been opened once.

usually if I click somewhere else within the client, the contact list will disappear again (which sometimes happen if I had gone to another window to wait out the lag), but the second time the contact list opens up almost as fast as it should (within a few moments or so).

But this has become so bad that these days I don't even bother looking for players from my list but go to the operations channel instead (which means that divving with people for randoms is out of the question now unless it's a clanmate).

And there you have to add someone to your contacts list before you can add someone to your div, which some people are literally reluctant to do because they don't want to slow down their UI by doing this.

And I won't clear out my blacklist because those people are on there for a reason.

[PK11]
Beta Tester
756 posts
11,715 battles

Shouldn't there be a "open all container" button here somewhere?

Unbenannt.thumb.png.3c85cc476cec5251d930cf50eae16376.png

• Cool 1

[B_S_C]
[B_S_C]
Beta Tester
39 posts
9,894 battles

The UI has always been a laggy mess but the only "improvement" is in the lag time (I'm assuming more lag is the aim).  Recently the after battle notifications that pop up on the bottom right are a joke.  The first set pop in and vanish so fast you will never read them.  So one thing got faster, well done - it's too fast now.

15 hours ago, Donnerturm said:

Apparently you need to have three containers so apparently they still want to leave that small waste of time in the game just to be super annoying.

[WTFNO]
Players
138 posts
10,135 battles

Make slow the stuff in an app in our case a F2P game is actually a game design features orientated for the customers. So don't worry too much, hum....

[A-SLO]
[A-SLO]
Players
20 posts
11,756 battles

@MrConway What improvments?

After the 8.1.0 update:
-UI is slower than ever before, stuttering in menu randomly... (im almost afraid to click anything because it will freeze it for a minute) 
-Clanbase is broken no matter what you click. 
-My mIdd game frame droping from 90 to 20 fps
-Still boring and passive gameplay style of teams in randoms (Pre Alpha state)
-random AA sounds, randomly playing midd game and in menus

Game is progressivly geting worse after the 8.0.0 and im saying this as a 4-5 year veteran i feel these things were inforced upon me&game, i played this game on a daily basis but in current state(alpha mess) the game is not playable! 
95% of the players in my clan doesnt like the "new rework" other 5% doesnt care and they stoped playing this game like they use to. I know that's not your fault but yet you are on the responsible side here.

Please make a survery on how many players overall like the new "rework meta" in game and i bet you will be supprised on the response and answers. Well i hope you will mange to input that FUN factor to the game soon so we will enjoy playing it again like we use to pre 8.0.0 update! 

O7 Calm Seas

[BYOB]
Players
3,524 posts
13,275 battles

Now I started to experience massive FPS drops in battle. I haven't changed anything, so it's on your end.

You've made the game worse with your changes.

• Cool 2

[SCRUB]
Players
8,144 posts
10,647 battles

Whatever it was the devs did, it's having the opposite effect.

At the best of times the port UI is just as sluggish, but more often than not after the update it's even worse.

[M_OB]
Players
495 posts
4,247 battles

Yea I unfortunately have gotten absolutely unplayable fps drops as soon as a lot of things is happening at the same time. It is bad enough that I cant really play the game properly so Im relying on operations until its fixed.

Players
1,565 posts
15,517 battles

Port UI used to be slow and laggy. Now it is slow and laggy with a slightly different flavour. Why would you waste dev time on that? Rewrite the whole thing already.

I didn't buy decent hardware to wait for stuff happen when I click something. Other games somehow run fine.

• Cool 2

[WTFNO]
Players
138 posts
10,135 battles
2 hours ago, Ze_Reckless said:

Port UI used to be slow and laggy. Now it is slow and laggy with a slightly different flavour. Why would you waste dev time on that? Rewrite the whole thing already.

I didn't buy decent hardware to wait for stuff happen when I click something. Other games somehow run fine.

Even with high specs, you ll have that slow down behaviour in the game : I ve never seen why this game anyway would be so slow, except poor optimization but I don't think it is : it looks more like a gamble design based on player base frustration. It is not a superstar game however, I don't understand why it'd be fucktard orientated.  mean this is not facebook or youtube.... hum, well... maybe it is in fact.

Players
3,477 posts
8,165 battles
On 2/26/2019 at 11:30 AM, MrConway said:

Captains,

Please leave any feedback on the port UI & client stability improvements here.

I think I've figured out more about the causes of the slow ui.

I've noticed a very substantial difference when using the same client for a secondary account of mine and on that account the ui lag is substantially less.

I have a good suspicion that it is caused by the way the ui connects with your contact list and it may be that the client continuously checks for the online status of everybody on ythe contact list (and iirc even the ones on your blacklist?).

Not only does having more contacts lag the ui more (because there could be no other way that using the exact same install for another "empty" account could cause such a significant drop in ui lag), but I also noticed that the severe ui lag gets a bit less severe when I closed the operations channel.

I've known for longer that trying to open up my contact list takes a full minute, maybe longer. And on both my alt account and on my PTS account this opening of the contact list takes a lot less time as well. So it has something to do with the contact list (and probably the backlist as well).

Perhaps it is to do with the way the game makes checks to see who on your contact list is online or something?

Players
11 posts
3,045 battles
On 3/1/2019 at 8:26 PM, Donnerturm said:

It is only with 3 containers. 

[WG-EU]
[WG-EU]
WG Staff, Alpha Tester
2,664 posts
2,543 battles
On 3/2/2019 at 4:56 PM, life2party said:

@MrConway What improvments?

After the 8.1.0 update:
-UI is slower than ever before, stuttering in menu randomly... (im almost afraid to click anything because it will freeze it for a minute) 
-Clanbase is broken no matter what you click. 
-My mIdd game frame droping from 90 to 20 fps
-Still boring and passive gameplay style of teams in randoms (Pre Alpha state)
-random AA sounds, randomly playing midd game and in menus

Game is progressivly geting worse after the 8.0.0 and im saying this as a 4-5 year veteran i feel these things were inforced upon me&game, i played this game on a daily basis but in current state(alpha mess) the game is not playable! 
95% of the players in my clan doesnt like the "new rework" other 5% doesnt care and they stoped playing this game like they use to. I know that's not your fault but yet you are on the responsible side here.

Please make a survery on how many players overall like the new "rework meta" in game and i bet you will be supprised on the response and answers. Well i hope you will mange to input that FUN factor to the game soon so we will enjoy playing it again like we use to pre 8.0.0 update! 

O7 Calm Seas

Please send us a customer support ticket with this as a bug report and make sure to include a WGCheck report. https://eu.wargaming.net/support/en/products/wows/help/

This is obviously not working as intended and needs to be looked at.

[-GOD-]
Players
336 posts
14,447 battles

The game UI is regressing with every patch. The freezes and slow responsiveness are currently at the lvel of being almost unbearable. I have an extensive blacklist, I'll see if it helps if i clear it. I'm also getting server overloaded messages, at monday morning lol.