Sign in to follow this  
MrConway

Radar Rework

16 comments in this topic

[1_MAN]
Beta Tester
38 posts
6,857 battles

Its a FAIL. Lets call it radar buffs to radar range and radar duration. The 6 seconds warning is pathetic, it only alarms enemy potato to FOCUS the DD more, and shoot it for the same time period as before.  But again why i am even bothering to write here...

EDIT: For the record, i of course dont blame WG staff on forums. I think we all saw during our time how WG Devs react to constructive feedback from CCs.... We can only keep playing untill its no longer an option.

• Cool 1
  • Funny 2

[MIAU]
[MIAU]
Players
2,906 posts

I'm not sure the changes to radar will perform what you intendet it to do.

While that might be true, you also gave the radar using side more time to train their guns in the general direction of the target and almost the same time to shoot at it, while you increased the radar range. All that is left for the target is that it might have build up a bit more speed, if it was standing still or moving slowly (which in the radar meta was a bad move even before the change) and a few hundred meters of distance before the rain of shells begins.

I will need a few more games to place my final verdict on the change but so far it sems like it does the exact opposite of what you had in mind.

• Cool 2

[BAD-B]
Players
877 posts
2,506 battles

Just an idea, but would it be possible for the radared ship to get an RPF like indicator to the direction of the radaring ship ? Would help knowing behind which island the sucker is hiding ... you still need to spot him by conventional means but at least you have a direction ...

[-MOS-]
Players
2 posts
6,351 battles
1 ora fa, Hugh_Ruka ha scritto:

Just an idea, but would it be possible for the radared ship to get an RPF like indicator to the direction of the radaring ship ? Would help knowing behind which island the sucker is hiding ... you still need to spot him by conventional means but at least you have a direction ...

I think this is a great idea..

The radar as it is after the rework is not fixed, it is still too powerful and it disencourage DDs from playing the objective game. 

I'd recommend (as so many did after me) to let the radar behave like in reality where it is blocked by solid objects (islands, rocks and things like that)

[BAD-B]
Players
877 posts
2,506 battles
2 minutes ago, Fimix92 said:

I think this is a great idea..

The radar as it is after the rework is not fixed, it is still too powerful and it disencourage DDs from playing the objective game. 

I'd recommend (as so many did after me) to let the radar behave like in reality where it is blocked by solid objects (islands, rocks and things like that)

WG already stated making radar LoS restricted is not viable ... and there's quite a strong oppsition in the playerbase as well ... Getting an RPF like indicator could be a compromise ....

[WTFNO]
Players
138 posts
10,216 battles

I haven't played the update that much to notice it due to the sounds mix up of the moment. Can we detect red team radar through this graphic effect ? Wouldn't that be good enough to spot the radar ship ?

[BAD-B]
Players
877 posts
2,506 battles
8 minutes ago, Steph246 said:

I haven't played the update that much to notice it due to the sounds mix up of the moment. Can we detect red team radar through this graphic effect ? Wouldn't that be good enough to spot the radar ship ?

yes, that would be good ... but I think only friendlies see the effect

• Cool 1

Players
24 posts
440 battles

I get no target for the complete game, because nothing is visible. also always the crap circle pops up and cause trouble in my eyse and makes gamplay chaotic. Its like a nuclear bomb detonates all the time, its a horror.

So i cant shoot on anything, because dds job was to spot and detect enemy. no no enemy is sees for the almost complete game, cant shoot on anything.

For the gameplay and player, radar needs to change back.

[ATOM-]
Players
64 posts
5,916 battles

Sorry but still no.. CAn't see any difference. 6 seconds is no help when you are at 8k or less and the whole world opens up.

I assume you actually want DD to play still? What with the carriers as well. Just wow.

And don't even get me started on line of sight

• Cool 3

[UNICS]
Players
3,322 posts
13,306 battles

Seems like a decent mechanic. Makes dd life a bit easier and reduces the blapping potential of radar. It makes the risk-reward of the radar cruiser a bit more obvious - sit behind the island and the radar is less effective or push out for some valuable but risky damage, or use the smoke of a friendly when pushing. Also reduces the effectiveness of divisions, which is a nice side-effect. Maybe some tweaks are needed, but overall it seems like an improvement in terms of gameplay.

• Cool 1

Players
3,502 posts
8,203 battles
14 hours ago, loppantorkel said:

Seems like a decent mechanic. Makes dd life a bit easier and reduces the blapping potential of radar. It makes the risk-reward of the radar cruiser a bit more obvious - sit behind the island and the radar is less effective or push out for some valuable but risky damage, or use the smoke of a friendly when pushing. Also reduces the effectiveness of divisions, which is a nice side-effect. Maybe some tweaks are needed, but overall it seems like an improvement in terms of gameplay.

I hand't even noticed or considered this, but it's a nice side-effect indeed.

I REALLY like the new radar effects! Also much easier to actually see who is radaring by looking at where the expanding circle is coming from :cap_look:

I think this radar rework will disappoint some of those DD-only BBaby haturz because they expected another DD buff. But they can't appreciate that WG did listen to their feedback and prevented the spotted+instablapped by half the enemy ships like I can, I think this radar update turnedout great and I really notice receiving less return fire immediately after I get lit (and not just as a DD, but also as a supporting cruiser I appreciate this change).

It rewards more risky gameplay. Or perhaps depending on how one wanna looks at it, it punishes it less. For both the radar ship as well as the radared ship. Great change :Smile_great:

[TORCH]
[TORCH]
Beta Tester
504 posts
9,622 battles

I did post an idea on Radar before in the 'Radar Discussion' Thread. Heres another compromise which is an idea i have posted already taking the mechanics added into the previous patch. Since you wont do 'Line of Sight' which would be the most realistic outcome and alot of the ideas in that thread you ignored. Here is a slightly different idea taking into account the current changes you have made now.

So as i said based off an idea ive posted before, what you could do to make it alot more 'fair' keep the 6 second warnings how it is. For his allies what you could do is show the location of the ship that is being radared on the map as you do already but, allied ships need to be within the detection range of the radar to see the ship that has been radared physically.

So for example if a Des Moines 10km radar goes off, the Des Moines can see the ship instantly like it already does, that doesnt need to change.

Any of his allies needs to be within 10km detection range to see the ship physically that has been radared for themselves. After ofc the 6 seconds warning for 'allied' ships.

Leave the current 'notifications' in for using hydro and radar though that is a good change.

Its hard to explain in type and i really cant be bothered to make a diagram lol

Edit: So i did a quick diagram.

Radar Diagram Idea.png

So as you can kinda see with what i am explaining.

So allied ship (Blue)  in the circle (Yellow) can see the Enemy DD (Red) the same as the Radar CA (Green) can, the Allied Ship outside of that radar range 'circle' cannot see that destroyer only gets an 'estimation' on the mini map (same as you get already if your too far away). He would have to enter that radar range (the same as his allies already within it) to see the enemy DD himself.

Conclusion is basically radar is still an effective counter to destroyer play and its still powerful which is what you want as the radar CA, DD's get a chance to take evasive action if required and dont get deleted the instant radar is used. 

Could Solve alot of the issues around radar. Theres a risk for both sides of the argument, you want to take advantage of the radar then you take a risk, DD's have to take a risk anyways with Radar in general and it often leads to insta deaths, or very unfun games for many. Which is made even worse now with the CV changes. I mean this is feedback on radar not CV's though.

[A-Z]
Players
203 posts

For the radar user and his teammates, this rework is absolutely awesome. They got buffs to radar range and duration. Whole team also know now when radar is active.

For destroyers players (that oppose radar), this rework is absolutely disaster. This 6 second so called "advantage" before rest of enemy team open fire, is practically nothing.

Why I even play this class? Anti-destroyers Aircraft Carrier rework (insane spotting speed and disgustingly effective rockets), flooding nerf, radars buffs. I don't even want to think what will be next...

• Cool 3

Players
621 posts
6,071 battles

The best bit about this change is the flood of "I'm using surveillance radar" or "I'm using hydroacoustic search" in chat which obliterates overwhelms anything useful anyone says in chat.

I find this particulalry useful as a reminder to never pay attention to anything our team mates may wish to convey to the rest of the team, in this team based game...

It's almost like you don't want people to play as a team WG.

Good job, keep it up.

• Cool 1

[-5D-]
Beta Tester
205 posts
9,109 battles

Well I have made radar useless now, I am taking my Shima and Asashio out now pretty much exclusively.

Of course all WG will do is further extend the range and duration and accuracy of BB's and CA's to counter my 16km torps.

How anyone at WG thought that extending the duration and range of the radar was a buff for DD's I don't know. My Grandmother could've argued against that and she has been dead for 15 years.

If we add to that the simple fact that EVERY game pretty much has a minimum 4 radar ships now at least on one team (of course WG cannot balance the radar ship numbers across the 2 teams) means that DD's pushing objectives (caps) in the first half to 3/4's of the game are suicidal.

I cannot wait for the Russian Fantasy Fleet to be launched, endless long range torps at ships that cannot avoid them... this may be the 2nd DD "happy time" again, well for IJN torp boats that is, I do fondly remember the old Shima days, invisi dev striking torp barrages....

WG ""Balanz" department simply do not have a clue, it may be a personal attack but someone at WG is responsible for these hideous decisions. 

TB.

Sign in to follow this