You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
wilkatis_LV

Tap that

13 comments in this topic

[ADRIA]
[ADRIA]
Players
4,945 posts
7,160 battles

I'm sure at least some of you already knew this since apparently it has been a "thing" since the TST1, but lack of general mentions leads me to think that this tapping is far from general public knowledge...

What am I talking about? W

Why hold it and run out of boost quickly, if you can just tap it to keep your speed up? Sure, you'll lose couple knots on average... for multiple times the duration of your boost.

What you do is:

Hold W to boost up to max speed or at least close to it

Instead of holding the W you start tapping it (practice makes perfect)

Speed doesn't manage to fall, meanwhile duration gets "chunked" only by the fraction of a second you had your W pressed each tap

Here's some recording of my very 1st attempt at this when I heard this might be a thing (recorded to compare the duration). Despite it being my very 1st attempt I managed to hold it around 2...3kts lost for x2.33 ... x2.67 the duration on the boost. Since then with a slight bit of practice I've increased that to about x3 ... x3.5 the duration

Spoiler

1st - 16s - one is the very 1st attempt I did. 2nd - around 14...15s - one is the shortest attempt I had in that training room

And this is with a very short boost. As a comparison Langleys TBs and DBs - both of whom have a 24s boost (with the build I have, I think it's 20s base duration) - I can take off and then fly to my target in a permanent boost that lasts over a minute

Don't know about you, but in my book this is a serious exploit :cap_old:

• Cool 5

[NWP]
Players
5,177 posts
6,629 battles
53 minutes ago, wilkatis_LV said:

Don't know about you, but in my book this is a serious exploit :cap_old:

Yeah, ive seen Farazelleth showcase it in his Hosho commentary on YT i believe. Basicly it means, that the max speed with boost is what you can fly all the time... And thats certainly not intended imo.

Maybe the boost should have more of an On/Off switch for a couple of seconds in case you are not holding W down all the time.

Like, im flying with Boost maxspeed, and i decide to slow down a bit. I can only activate the boost again after ive dropped a certain amount of kts.

• Cool 2

Players
1,927 posts
10,601 battles

"After receiving feedback from players and looking at our data, we notice that there are CVs are exploiting the speed boost by tapping the W button rapidly, thereby using up less of the speed boost bar than what they would have normally used and giving them an unfair advantage in battle. 

We will therefore be patching the exploit in update 0.8.0.4 so that tapping W will result in the same speed boost consumption as holding W."

[PARAZ]
Beta Tester
9,594 posts
15,316 battles
18 minutes ago, DFens_666 said:

Like, im flying with Boost maxspeed, and i decide to slow down a bit. I can only activate the boost again after ive dropped a certain amount of kts.

Would do absolutely nothing to TBs and DBs, really. RFs would also be completely unaffected since they bleed speed so fast.

Personally with Midway T/DBs I start pressing W to max speed again when I've dropped ~10kn. A bit less tedious than tapping like a madman and this actually gives boost enough time to regen a bit.

[NWP]
Players
1,462 posts
10,421 battles

Well at least CV players understand what the W key does and how to press it. Unlike half the BB population.:Smile_trollface:

• Cool 1
  • Funny 13

[NWP]
Players
2,008 posts
13,093 battles
29 minutes ago, Bear_Necessities said:

Well at least CV players understand what the W key does and how to press it. Unlike half the BB  75% of the server population.:Smile_trollface:

FTFY

• Funny 5

[ADRIA]
[ADRIA]
Players
4,945 posts
7,160 battles
5 hours ago, MRGTB said:

Guess it's one way to break a keyboard pretty fast, keep tapping W key like crazy all the time. :Smile_sceptic:

There’s no need to maniacally spam it as fast as you can, in fact that would be quite counterproductive. You want those “empty” times between clicks as that’s where the boost saving / extending comes from

Slow-ish (situationally, based on your planes & their boost) rythmical tapping seems to be far more effective.

As I said - practice makes perfect. You just need to find the rythm for your planes

[BABBY]
Players
385 posts
7,978 battles
2 hours ago, Bear_Necessities said:

Well at least CV players understand what the W key does and how to press it. Unlike half the BB population.:Smile_trollface:

Well, if you take W out of WSAD what are you left with? That's right, SAD :Smile_great:

• Funny 6

[KAKE]
Players
1,447 posts
3,734 battles
8 hours ago, MRGTB said:

Guess it's one way to break a keyboard pretty fast, keep tapping W key like crazy all the time. :Smile_sceptic:

Over my 20+ years of various fairly keyboard-intensive games ranging from Quake and Unreal Tournament through good portions of the Battlefield series, TF2, Overwatch etc. I've had one (membrane) keyboard actually start to develop unreliable keys.

Only keyboard I've actually swapped out because it stopped working (and not because I just wanted something new and shiny) was a wireless Logitech one that I spilled a pint of orange juice on.

[ADRIA]
[ADRIA]
Players
4,945 posts
7,160 battles

@MrConway @Crysantos @Sub_Octavian Could we get a confirmation as to “what this is”?

• Fully intended game mechnaic
  • Unintended game mechanic that WG likes so it will be kept
  • A known bug, already working on a fix
  • A known bug, but there’s no fix in the works just yet
  • Up until now unknown bug

[WG-EU]
[WG-EU]
WG Staff, Alpha Tester
2,667 posts
2,549 battles
17 minutes ago, wilkatis_LV said:

@MrConway @Crysantos @Sub_Octavian Could we get a confirmation as to “what this is”?

• Fully intended game mechnaic
  • Unintended game mechanic that WG likes so it will be kept
  • A known bug, already working on a fix
  • A known bug, but there’s no fix in the works just yet

Can we always do this as multiple choice now? Love it!

• Cool 1
  • Funny 4