dapprman

Atlanta in the New Era (0.8.x) Captain Skills

41 comments in this topic

[YARRR]
Beta Tester
61 posts

Wondering what the general consensus is as I've just hit 10 points on my Atlanta captain.

In the past it would (probably) be Priority target/Preventative Maintenance -> Adrenalin Rush -> Superintendent -> Concealment Expert

Now, with the new AA meta and slightly reduced effects of CE on cruisers, I'm wondering about going for AFT instead (and maybe IFHE when I hit 14).

What have others done (also what's the thoughts of swapping Superintendent for BFT for higher rate of fire and better AA) ?

Players
5,479 posts
8,154 battles

Get 18lvl points captain and we can start talking about proper Atlanta.

PT, AR, BFT, CE, AFT, IFHE.

But as she's premium, she can accept any captain from the same nation, I've used to run mine with Des Moines captain before got Cleveland/Atlanta captain up for the task

• Cool 1

[CMP]
Weekend Tester
516 posts
4,061 battles
On 2/25/2019 at 10:35 PM, ColonelPete said:

Get IFHE first, then CE. You can take AFT with your 18th point.

Yup, and skip super intendant. Get BFT for 10% mora dakka, or DE for more burns.

My way would be:

PM -> AR -> BFT -> IFHE -> CE -> AFT -> PT

[W-C]
Players
569 posts
3,129 battles

Given the focus seems to be more on DPS rather than raw flak bust damage, might MFCAA be more viable/reliable than AFT?

And [offtopic] where can I find info on 'number of flack bursts' and burst damage other than in client?

• Cool 1

[CMP]
Weekend Tester
516 posts
4,061 battles
14 minutes ago, Rusty_9 said:

Given the focus seems to be more on DPS rather than raw flak bust damage, might MFCAA be more viable/reliable than AFT?

And [offtopic] where can I find info on 'number of flack bursts' and burst damage other than in client?

AFT also gives you extra range on your main guns, for raining down joy on BB's

(Because at those ranges you can forget about hitting anything other than very slow or big BBs :) So you mostly take it for the main gun range.

I don't think you can find the flak bursts anywhere else but in the client (Or at least, I haven't found it yet)

• Cool 1

[W-C]
Players
569 posts
3,129 battles
4 minutes ago, Hummus said:

So you mostly take it for the main gun range.

Duh, yeah of course 127 mm guns :). I was thinking about spec's on my silver USN cruiser captains (I don't have Atlanta) so that is not an issue for them.

[CMP]
Weekend Tester
516 posts
4,061 battles
6 minutes ago, Rusty_9 said:

Duh, yeah of course 127 mm guns :). I was thinking about spec's on my silver USN cruiser captains (I don't have Atlanta) so that is not an issue for them.

Yhea this is why you generally get a dedicated Atlanta captain if you play her a lot.

She works best with a specific set of skills that are pretty much useless on other boats. (But she is really fun with a dedicated capitain, so well worth the effort)

The only synergy is with a secondary spec for BBs :)

Oh and the Flint ofc when you get it :cap_rambo:

• Cool 2

[W-C]
Players
569 posts
3,129 battles
Just now, Hummus said:

secondary spec for BBs :)

I was going to make a joke about secondary spec'd North Carolina captains...

...then remembered Massa exists :Smile_hiding:

[CMP]
Weekend Tester
516 posts
4,061 battles
3 minutes ago, Rusty_9 said:

I was going to make a joke about secondary spec'd North Carolina captains...

...then remembered Massa exists :Smile_hiding:

I'm using my Atlanta captain on the Arkansas Beta :Smile_trollface:

https://wiki.wargaming.net/en/Ship:Arkansas_Beta

That baby has 6 upgrade slots and 11 127 mm guns as secondaries.

• Cool 1

[W-C]
Players
569 posts
3,129 battles
7 minutes ago, Hummus said:

Yeah, that too... the ultimate seal clubbing machine for the dads-brigade... I haven't come across many in game but it looks a blast :Smile-_tongue:

[SCRUB]
[SCRUB]
Beta Tester
1,595 posts
8,106 battles
19 minutes ago, Hummus said:

https://wiki.wargaming.net/en/Ship:Arkansas_Beta

That baby has 6 upgrade slots and 11 127 mm guns as secondaries.

Man that is EVIL. :Smile_ohmy:

I only use the normal survivalbuild USN BBs in her but maybe I should try and stick my Flintcaptain in her then. :cap_rambo:

• Funny 1

[CMP]
Weekend Tester
516 posts
4,061 battles
7 minutes ago, Miessa3 said:

Man that is EVIL. :Smile_ohmy:

I only use the normal survivalbuild USN BBs in her but maybe I should try and stick my Flintcaptain in her then. :cap_rambo:

Nothing says "fun game" like slotting 5 million credits worth of upgrades and a 19 pt captain on a T4 boat to go do some clubbing :)

The Clemson has 5.5 Km topedoes ... I have 6 Km secondary range :Smile_trollface:

[SCRUB]
[SCRUB]
Beta Tester
1,595 posts
8,106 battles
2 minutes ago, Hummus said:

Nothing says "fun game" like slotting 5 million credits worth of upgrades and a 19 pt captain on a T4 boat to go do some clubbing :)

The Clemson has 5.5 Km topedoes ... I have 6 Km secondary range :Smile_trollface:

well I filled all dem expensive slots on that ship a while ago. Just not with all out secondaries in mind. :Smile_veryhappy:

[-RM-]
Beta Tester
1,529 posts
6,161 battles

I just use my Wooster captain and it works just as fine now as it did prior to the whole CV rework. Sure AFT might not be the most optimal skill nowadays but on the Atlanta it gives you that sweet sweet range that combined with CE opens up so many options.

e0a6ca4af4.jpg

• Cool 2

Players
3,502 posts
8,211 battles
57 minutes ago, ollonborre said:

I just use my Wooster captain and it works just as fine now as it did prior to the whole CV rework. Sure AFT might not be the most optimal skill nowadays but on the Atlanta it gives you that sweet sweet range that combined with CE opens up so many options.

e0a6ca4af4.jpg

I'm using the exact same build on the exact same ships, I can recommend this build :Smile_great:

999276636_Atlanta-Woostercap.jpg.d26d49a3a36901f6293a62573e687462.jpg

• Cool 1

Players
65 posts
1,148 battles

My go to 19 point Atlanta will have a more AA focused build, as she has access to unlimited Defensive AA. The order in which I pick the skills is:

- Priority Target

- Adrenaline Rush

- Basic Fireing Training

- Inertia Fuse for HE Shells

- Advanced Fireing Training

- Concealment Expert

- Preventive Meintenance

In my opinion, Atlanta suffers greatly from her low range, but is quite the decent Gunboat against DDs as well as BBs, if positioned properly. Both BFT and AFT affect all your main battery guns. Because they fit in the "up to 139mm", which means you get both the -10% reload time as well as +20% range. Which is huge for Atlanta.

Superintendent can be taken in place of BFA, as she already has decent reload. But you would be affecting only your Radar, unless you took Hydro over Defensive AA. You would also be losing 10% out of your AA fire, which on Atlanta is quite good, so far as I noticed. I just use the Premium Radar consumable for the additional use. If you let your team know when you are popping it, I have never found myself needing that 4th time.

For now I am at 10 points, with PT, AR, BFA and IFHES. In a game with a CV, I can easily shoot down over 40 planes. You just need to work out, which side will be in the need of AA cover and go there. You are a very annoying no fun zone for the enemy CV. If there are two, all the better.

I was considering dropping CE for manual AA control, but... Not to eager, especially since I find the sector mechanics to be quite lacking. Planes just fly over you during the first attack and before you turn the right sector towards them, they are once more flying over in the second attack. It only ever works, when you are not the main target and can position accordingly.

Beta Tester
2,300 posts
2,490 battles

This is my skill build for the Atlanta, courtesy of the recommendations by the esteemed Little White Mouse:

1: Priority Target

2: Adrenaline Rush + Last Stand

3: Basic Firing Training + Demolition Expert

4: IFHE + Advanced Firing Training

Needless to say, I very much feel the lack of Concealment Expert. An alternate build would be to replace Last Stand with Preventive Maintenance, forgo Demolition Expert altogether and so be able to afford Concealment Expert. But I fear that I would then regularly lose all mobility with the very first enemy salvo that hit me, and that would henceforth be all I wrote in most battles in this ship. With the ranges we are talking about, even with AFT in play, an Atlanta that loses engine power will be dead six seconds later. Thoughts on this?

[GRKEN]
[GRKEN]
Players
643 posts
15,848 battles
3 hours ago, Procrastes said:

This is my skill build for the Atlanta, courtesy of the recommendations by the esteemed Little White Mouse:

1: Priority Target

2: Adrenaline Rush + Last Stand

3: Basic Firing Training + Demolition Expert

4: IFHE + Advanced Firing Training

Needless to say, I very much feel the lack of Concealment Expert. An alternate build would be to replace Last Stand with Preventive Maintenance, forgo Demolition Expert altogether and so be able to afford Concealment Expert. But I fear that I would then regularly lose all mobility with the very first enemy salvo that hit me, and that would henceforth be all I wrote in most battles in this ship. With the ranges we are talking about, even with AFT in play, an Atlanta that loses engine power will be dead six seconds later. Thoughts on this?

I don't run DE on mine but using CE.  Tried DE but there were many battles where my fire setting was rather low considering the high number of shell hits so I skipped it.

Beta Tester
2,300 posts
2,490 battles
11 hours ago, tsounts said:

I don't run DE on mine but using CE.  Tried DE but there were many battles where my fire setting was rather low considering the high number of shell hits so I skipped it.

I can do without DE, but that in itself doesn't help me to get the four points for CE. I have to give something else up, and it sure as shootin' won't be BFT or AR, since the Atlanta is all about maximum damage output. That leaves only Last Stand.

[N0RSE]
[N0RSE]
Players
41 posts
10,501 battles

Call me crazy, but I prefer Atlanta without AFT. With lower max range it is safer to hunt destroyers. It requires a much more aggressive play, and that's what I like about it. 

And I would never sacrifice CE, unless you plan to sit behind an island 100% of the time. 

[GRKEN]
[GRKEN]
Players
643 posts
15,848 battles
10 hours ago, Procrastes said:

I can do without DE, but that in itself doesn't help me to get the four points for CE. I have to give something else up, and it sure as shootin' won't be BFT or AR, since the Atlanta is all about maximum damage output. That leaves only Last Stand.

I think I run PT, AR, BFT, CE, IFHE, AFT

Beta Tester
2,300 posts
2,490 battles
13 hours ago, tsounts said:

I think I run PT, AR, BFT, CE, IFHE, AFT

And it works? The lack of Last Stand doesn't regularly cripple you by leaving you a sitting duck with the first HE salvo that hits you?

Players
65 posts
1,148 battles

After some more games, I would rather go for what Procrastes posted.

1. Priority Target

2. Adrenaline Rush and Last Stand

3. Basic Firing Training and something, Demolition Expert seems a no-brainer although Vigilance is also quite decent, Superintendent for the additional Radar use perhaps?

4. Inertia Fuse for HE Shells and Advanced Firing Training

The ships is extremely good at supporting DDs in securing capture points or protecting BBs from enemy DDs. But doing that, it tends to expose itself to a lot of angry enemy ships. I find lack of CE not to be a too big of a bother, because you will be outspotted by DDs, and any other CA should be seen by you before you are detected. You do have to hide behind islands a lot, as a long range AP snipe can ruin your day by a lot.

It is a Heavy Gunboat DD to be honest, that has the "benefit" of being equiped with a Citadel. Any decent player will be able to easily pen your armor, as its armor is almost nonexistant. Last Stand is a very decent choice, to the point I might consider taking it before Adrenaline Rush.

A 10 Point Captain would be:

Priority Target > Adrenaline Rush/Last Stand > Basic Firing Training > Inertia Fuse for HE Shells

After that a top priority for Advanced Firing Training and Adrenaline Rush/Last Stand.

[GRKEN]
[GRKEN]
Players
643 posts
15,848 battles
7 hours ago, Procrastes said:

And it works? The lack of Last Stand doesn't regularly cripple you by leaving you a sitting duck with the first HE salvo that hits you?

Nope.  I don't get crippled usually.