Server restart - 20/06/2019 Read more... ×
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
howardxu_23

Petition for HMS Furious(BC config) in WOWS

Do you want to have HMS Furious in original config in wows?  

96 members have voted

1. 1. .

• Yes, as a tech tree
    • Yes, as a premium
    • Yes, as long as it is in in some way
    • Don’t care
    • No.

65 comments in this topic

Players
452 posts
916 battles

HMS Furious was a modified Courageous-class battlecruiser built for the Royal Navy (RN) during the First World War. Designed to support the Baltic Project championed by the First Sea Lord of the Admiralty, Lord Fisher, the ship was very lightly armoured and designed to be armed with only two heavy guns (18-inch), one forward and one aft, plus a number of lesser guns.

top 2 pic shows original plans, the bottom 2 was the partial conversion to hybrid carrier.

hms_furious_for_okrety_magazine_by_soloa

Original planned armament before cv conversion:

2 × single 18-inch (457 mm) guns

11 × single 5.5-inch (140 mm) guns

2 × single QF 3-inch (76 mm) 20 cwt AA guns

2 × 21 in (533 mm) fixed underwater torpedo tubes

Armor:

Belt: 2–3 in (51–76 mm)

Decks: .75–3 in (19–76 mm)

Barbettes: 3–7 in (76–178 mm)

Turrets: 7–9 in (178–229 mm)

Conning tower: 10 in (254 mm)

Torpedo bulkheads: 1–1.5 in (25–38 mm)

Furious was modified and became an aircraft carrier while under construction. Her forward turret was removed and a flight deck was added in its place, such that aircraft had to manoeuvre around the superstructure to land. Later in the war, the ship had her rear turret removed and a second flight deck installed aft of the superstructure, but this was less than satisfactory due to air turbulence. Furious was briefly laid up after the war before she was reconstructed with a full-length flight deck in the early 1920s, the current RN WIP cv we see.

HMS_Furious-1.jpg

Stern of the ship showing the single 457mm gun at the rear, as she is being converted into a hybrid carrier.

After reading into this ships’s history and design, I think that this will be wows’s answer to the kv2 that is in wot. Big guns, slow reload on a rather fragile platform.

proposed stats for wows implementation:

Class: T6 crusier.

consumables:

hydro, smoke, heal(?)

rate of fire: 32s 25s, so it is still 5s slower vs graf spree to keep the idea that big guns reload slower, but faster enough so misses aren’t as punishing.

It will now have a stock module which is the 2 x 2 15” guns as a option, slightly more inaccurate in terms of dispersion but still get access to crusier sigma. Reload time of 15” guns: 20s

like the katori and yubarri, it can mount a special upgrade which drastically reduces dispersion

94D23C00-D456-46C2-A79B-B0D4BF00530D.thumb.jpeg.ae91e83ce8e883a27381358c9636d1b7.jpeg

due to apparent lack of clarity on the problem of the accuracy, It will have standard cruiser dispersion and sigma. Not only that, being t6, it can have aiming systems mod 1, secondary battery mod 1 or AA mod 1. In other words, if your aim is not on point, no lol random dispersion to save you, if aim is on point, 2x citadels for days.

will also have improved secondaries as in they can hit further and more accurate then similar tier ones.

due to a servre apparent lack of AA, there could be an option to swap out the 140mm guns for the older DP 102mm guns.

Position in tech tree:

If you have played German lines from tiger(p) to Ferdinand TD, then it’s similar to that between RN cl and RN CV

source:

https://www.naval-encyclopedia.com/ww1/UK/hms-furious-1917

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/HMS_Furious_(47)

https://www.deviantart.com/soload/art/HMS-Furious-for-Okrety-magazine-637427010

• Cool 4

Players
1,728 posts
245 battles

Looks like it will be quite the meme of a ship but eh why not the game is world of warships and we could do with more stuff to grind thats unique.

Nice attention to detail btw.

[LADA]
[LADA]
Players
146 posts
4,880 battles

Worth it if only for the experience on the other side.  'Ha! its alright, only 2 shells coming this way - this won't hurt..... DOOF!

Joking aside, fewer barrels often makes for a frustrating BB experience. Not sure if anyone aside from collectors or eccentric RN players would go for it.

Count me in!

[TTT]
Players
4,294 posts
7,937 battles
4 minutes ago, Gvozdika said:

Count me in!

...why does it feel like your forum avatar is a perfect fit for this... :Smile_teethhappy:

• Cool 1
  • Funny 4

[TSCC]
Players
1,581 posts
18,750 battles
27 minutes ago, howardxu_23 said:

2 × 21 in (533 mm) fixed underwater torpedo tubes

You can forget on these and WG will not implement underwater torpedo tubes.

proposed stats for wows implementation:

Class: T6 crusier.

Furious is a huuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuge ship. It is larger then KGV class battleship. With just 76mm main belt it wold be HP pinata for other ships. With just two guns this ships will be horrible to play even bellow T5 not to mention at T6. And if you add probably horrible turning radius, concealment and almost non existent AA there is no way that this ship could be enjoyable to play. Courageous could work at T4, T5 maybe with some fictional upgrades but Furious simple not.

[NWP]
Players
5,148 posts
6,597 battles

T6 Cruiser with 457mm guns

giphy.gif

Lets be serious here:

Guns would fit at T9/10, since same caliber guns are present on those tiers only. 457mm guns are NOT Cruiser armament.

At the same time, the armor is a joke, fits at T4 maybe.

It just doesnt fit anywhere really....

• Cool 1
  • Bad 1

[SM0KE]
Players
2,996 posts
7,145 battles

I'd love to see Furious in the game; she'd almost certainly be utterly hopeless (two main gun barrels at most?), but might be rather funny to have around.

I suppose you could artificially (compared to everything else) buff the secondaries, to make her remotely viable, or something like that? I suspect that WG wouldn't be keen to put all that dev work into something that probably wouldn't sell that well (something this weird has to be a premium, I imagine) though?

Players
512 posts
9,763 battles
4 minutes ago, DFens_666 said:

T6 Cruiser with 457mm guns

giphy.gif

Lets be serious here:

Guns would fit at T9/10, since same caliber guns are present on those tiers only. 457mm guns are NOT Cruiser armament.

At the same time, the armor is a joke, fits at T4 maybe.

It just doesnt fit anywhere really....

it has 2 guns...is that Tier 9 - 10? Lol.

[NWP]
Players
5,148 posts
6,597 battles
Just now, BuccaneerBill said:

it has 2 guns...is that Tier 9 - 10? Lol.

What has amount of guns to do with anything? Its still 457mm caliber...

2 guns with that caliber would mean:

- 14-15k AP damage

- probably DD dispersion or better otherwise you wouldnt hit anything.

You could give it absurdly fast reload to balance the low amount of guns, rather to make it fit at a tier where it never belongs.

• Boring 1

[TSCC]
Players
1,581 posts
18,750 battles
14 minutes ago, Verblonde said:

I suppose you could artificially (compared to everything else) buff the secondaries, to make her remotely viable, or something like that?

She only had 5 x 1 5.5inch guns per side and one centerpiece 5.5 inch which could shoot on both sides. That means 6 secondary guns per side. If you want to have any AA that would mean just 5 x 1 5.5inch and 2 x 1 4inch secondary guns per side. It doesn't sound like some secondary monster. WG could go with some fictional upgrades but then they could change main guns to and in the end we could get something that actually isn't HMS Furious at all.

[TTT]
Players
4,294 posts
7,937 battles
51 minutes ago, fumtu said:

Furious is a huuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuge ship. It is larger then KGV class battleship

uh... no. She's longer, but has less than half the displacement of a KGV. Sits pretty much right in the middle between Graf Spee and Kongo in terms of displacement, very close to the Tegethoffs (which we're getting with Viribus Unitis).

37 minutes ago, DFens_666 said:

What has amount of guns to do with anything? Its still 457mm caliber...

2 guns with that caliber would mean:

- 14-15k AP damage

- probably DD dispersion or better otherwise you wouldnt hit anything.

You could give it absurdly fast reload to balance the low amount of guns, rather to make it fit at a tier where it never belongs.

what does caliber have to do with anything? Caliber in and of itself is meaningless except for overmatch, and 457mm specifically doesnt do much special overmatching anyway...

[NWP]
Players
5,148 posts
6,597 battles
1 minute ago, Tyrendian89 said:

what does caliber have to do with anything? Caliber in and of itself is meaningless except for overmatch, and 457mm specifically doesnt do much special overmatching anyway...

You answered yourself didnt you? Being able to overmatch literally everything would be a good addition on a T6 Cruiser? Well, except T8 BBs, but i dont think being able to deal 30k damage salvos as a Cruiser on a BB is something we shouldnt want to see in wows. (WG is usually balancing AP damage based on caliber, so we can assume 18" guns would deal 14.000+ max damage) Even with a 32 sec reload, it would be extremely questionable.

Disregarding any fun whatsover, as 2 shells every 32 secs sounds really not something you would want to play, unless you have godlike dispersion.

• Boring 1

[KAKE]
Players
1,423 posts
3,717 battles

I think if the class is going to make it into the game, I'd prefer to see it with the 4x15" guns of the "standard" Courageous class, and then have the meme guns as an alternate gun module. That way you at least have the choice of a non-silly play style.

• Cool 2

[TTT]
Players
4,294 posts
7,937 battles
1 minute ago, DFens_666 said:

You answered yourself didnt you? Being able to overmatch literally everything would be a good addition on a T6 Cruiser? Well, except T8 BBs

which is the exact same as the 15" guns you get on a Warspite, QE, Bayern... and? Sure, this would be a more extreme case of oddball ship than the Graf Spee, but... so what? Spee with its six barrels has much larger potential alpha than Furious would... putting her at T6 would be weird, sure, but still a LOT more reasonable than putting it at T9 like you somehow thought would be a good idea, where it'd be two barrels of 457 versus the Musashi's 9x460 (oh, and Musashi also has this thing called armour to boot).

[B0TS]
Beta Tester
1,679 posts
5,857 battles

Give the main guns a serious amount of accuracy, then even with a normal reload of 30sec's she might work, but I doubt she would be much fun other than the lols....:)

• Cool 1

[501L]
Players
122 posts
2,853 battles

As others have said, it would need to be fairly accurate with its 2 guns otherwise we end up with a tier 6 Mikasa situation. That has guns which are extreme for its tier (4 x 305mm guns) but god awful dispersion and range, but otherwise I'm all for it. Tell you what, give it the new Russian BBs deal. Good accuracy below 8km, mediocre upto 12km and basically pointless beyond that upto 16km. This would give it the true KV-2 experience of being fragile but hard hitting at close ranges and simply praying to RNGesus beyond that range.

[NWP]
Players
5,148 posts
6,597 battles
Just now, Tyrendian89 said:

which is the exact same as the 15" guns you get on a Warspite, QE, Bayern... and? Sure, this would be a more extreme case of oddball ship than the Graf Spee, but... so what? Spee with its six barrels has much larger potential alpha than Furious would... putting her at T6 would be weird, sure, but still a LOT more reasonable than putting it at T9 like you somehow thought would be a good idea, where it'd be two barrels of 457 versus the Musashi's 9x460 (oh, and Musashi also has this thing called armour to boot).

I think there is a difference if a BB can overmatch other BBs, or if a Cruiser should be able to overmatch BBs. Sure, we can disagree on that one, i dont mind. But personaly, i wouldnt like that.

And i didnt say it should be T9. I said, guns fit on T9. Next sentence i said, Armor fits on T4...

Thats why i said, it shouldnt be in the game at all, the whole concept makes very little sense in the current game imo. Big guns with no armor.

Im not sure, how accurate WG is with plating (Bow/aft and such), but seeing that they just buffed Cleveland to T8, i would see them scale the armor to T8-9 rather than somehow try to make the guns work at T6.

Give it 27mm bow/aft maybe 30mm deck/upper belt in between, good dispersion and fast reload. 76mm belt armor doesnt really matter, as it cant get overmatched when angled properly. Citadel should be protected inside to remove the possibility of HE citadels.

Imo that makes more sense than this thing on T6...

• Boring 1

[JR-IT]
Alpha Tester
875 posts
7,599 battles

As a tier 4 wpuld be nice for the lols,  at tier 5 would already be useless, and it still need godlike accuracy

[TTT]
Players
4,294 posts
7,937 battles
56 minutes ago, DFens_666 said:

I think there is a difference if a BB can overmatch other BBs, or if a Cruiser should be able to overmatch BBs. Sure, we can disagree on that one, i dont mind. But personaly, i wouldnt like that.

And i didnt say it should be T9. I said, guns fit on T9. Next sentence i said, Armor fits on T4...

Thats why i said, it shouldnt be in the game at all, the whole concept makes very little sense in the current game imo. Big guns with no armor.

fair enough, sorry for the tone. I personally wouldn't really mind a few more unique oddballs (as long as they're more on the weak side of balanced , just to be safe), although I admit Furious is probably pushing it :Smile_teethhappy:

And as for cruiser versus BB... whelp, it's one more step towards BBs past the Graf Spee, so... maybe even class it as a Battleship? Would also fit better with the sheer length (and presumably turning circle and concealment) of the thing...

• Cool 1

[TTT]
Players
4,294 posts
7,937 battles
Just now, gopher31 said:

As long as those guns have 0m dispersion and 2000m/s speed or else a 5 sec reload.

wait, did I miss something and Furious was actually stolen and improved by the Russians? :Smile_trollface:

Players
1,067 posts
8,084 battles

For maximum meme potential: put her in as a T4 premium CV, with some biplanes and a single 457 mm secondary. So every 30 seconds or so, you can pray for RNG: either that gun misses or insta-deletes anything at T4. :Smile_child:

• Cool 1
  • Funny 5