Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
S1NKARlVlA

Should I skip a ship in the jap line?

28 comments in this topic

Weekend Tester
2 posts
531 battles

So I am currently in the Fuso and working my way up to the Yamato

I have been hoarding up a lot of free xp (like 130k free xp now, with the bit of gold I have I could get 200k free xp) and I do not feel like saving it up to get that british premium for the xp thing I can't remember its name now

So considering what ship in the japanese battleship line should I skip as I work my way up? OR Should I use the free xp for all the ships in portions to just make it overall faster to the yamato

I don't know which of these ships might be awful to play. Love the Fuso, Loved the Kongo, Absolutely hated the Myogi so if possible I would like to skip a repeat of the myogi's suffering if there is another ship in the line I should just free xp out of the way

[M_OB]
Players
500 posts
4,258 battles

My advice if you dont have a lot of experience with the game dont skip any ship. Youll just boost yourself to a tier you have no idea how to play in and your results will be baaad.

Also if you ask me Nelson isnt worth the free xp, its a pretty bad ship. Sure it has a great heal and good guns but cruiser armor and slow and sluggish. Plus you can citadel it from the front with the same tier BBs.

• Cool 2

[ADRIA]
Players
88 posts
9,143 battles

The IJN line is pretty consistent and easy to grind, but I would advise you to use your free xp to get modules so you do not have to play stock ships. From the Nagato and up the ships are really good, no reason to skip any.

Save your free xp for the modules on the Izumo. 

• Cool 7

[KURLA]
Players
899 posts
17,499 battles

Just use the fexp to buy the upgraded modules for each ship from the get go, that way you'll have the best experience on each ship.

And besides the Izumo (some say she's pretty decent after the last round of buffs) the rest of the ships are all pretty good.

• Cool 3

Beta Tester
707 posts
2,334 battles

The t9 is meant to be not very good, but it has just been buffed.  

If it's your first grind, I wouldn't skip any ship. 

• Cool 3

Players
4,085 posts
6,827 battles
4 minutes ago, S1NKARlVlA said:

So considering what ship in the japanese battleship line should I skip as I work my way up?

Nagato is awesome, Amagi is awesome and with the recent buffs Izumo is quite ok aswell. Also, since this is your first BB-grind, I advice not to skip anything. You need the experiance you get, as gameplay chances through the tiers. Else you will have a horrible experiance on high tiers.

• Cool 1

[NWP]
Players
5,177 posts
6,629 battles

Dont skip any ship! You will need the experience to play on hightiers. In general it would be advisable to play several hundred battles low/midtier with all classes/nations to get a feel for the game. Its not that simple as it looks, and playing hightiers too early usually ends up in a bad experience.

Actually, nevermind if you are playing Coop only. I had a look at your stats.

Still, you shouldnt skip the ships itself, you could/should use the FreeXP to unlock the modules which leads to the next ship (B-Hulls and such). But that isnt necessary either if you play coop.

Nagato and Amagi have good/accurate guns, if you liked Fuso, you should like them even more.

Izumo was usually the turd in the line, but it got buffed now, so it should be more enjoyable.

For the "British freeXP thingy" i guess you mean Nelson. Nelson isnt really easy to play. it has a huge citadel, and if you meet the wrong opponents you can get overmatched easily. Imo not a ship for beginner. But in the right hands, Nelson is really strong.

• Cool 3

Alpha Tester
69 posts
5,612 battles
Just now, AdmiralDing3Ling said:

Also if you ask me Nelson isnt worth the free xp, its a pretty bad ship. Sure it has a great heal and good guns but cruiser armor and slow and sluggish. Plus you can citadel it from the front with the same tier BBs.

What are you smoking?? Nelson is a great ship, strong and fun to play. Some would call it borderline OP, but I think it's pretty well-balanced.

• Cool 4

Beta Tester
330 posts
13,774 battles

dont listen anybody - use free exp to get yama asap, your 77 battle experience in randoms is smthg we need asap in t10 ... if you dont have enough free exp use some gold to convert ...

• Funny 7
  • Boring 3
  • Bad 2

[BOBS3]
Players
117 posts
2,170 battles

I skipped many ships in various lines converting XP, it’s NOT the way to learn this game and all you end up doing is pissing off your teammates because there is sooo much have failed to learn by skipping the various tiers!

as has been said, use your xp to unlock the modules for each ship.

• Cool 3

[M_OB]
Players
500 posts
4,258 battles
47 minutes ago, omglaserspewpew said:

What are you smoking?? Nelson is a great ship, strong and fun to play. Some would call it borderline OP, but I think it's pretty well-balanced.

If you call it strong you need to bring up armor viewer in your port and take a look. Its a slow cruiser with BB guns.

[NWP]
Players
5,177 posts
6,629 battles
Just now, AdmiralDing3Ling said:

If you call it strong you need to bring up armor viewer in your port and take a look. Its a slow cruiser with BB guns.

This gonna be gud:

So with your 7 games experience you came to that conclusion? You deny others, (who supposedly havent played something), their opinion, while you are doing the same now. 7 games in a ships is hardly worth anything.

Btw have you looked at other BBs at that tier? Sure, they may not have the same Citadel, but they are equaly overmatchable (Colorado / Nagato f.e.).

Nelson is very strong when played correctly, but rather weak when not.

• Cool 2

Beta Tester
114 posts

Skip Izumo.

Grind exp with Amagi (easily the most enjoyable Japanese BB)

I have Nelson and it's trash.

[TOXIC]
Players
4,490 posts
11,458 battles
1 hour ago, S1NKARlVlA said:

I have been hoarding up a lot of free xp (like 130k free xp now, with the bit of gold I have I could get 200k free xp) and I do not feel like saving it up to get that british premium for the xp thing I can't remember its name now

So considering what ship in the japanese battleship line should I skip as I work my way up? OR Should I use the free xp for all the ships in portions to just make it overall faster to the yamato

I don't know which of these ships might be awful to play. Love the Fuso, Loved the Kongo, Absolutely hated the Myogi so if possible I would like to skip a repeat of the myogi's suffering if there is another ship in the line I should just free xp out of the way

I'm not really a BB player, but more generally: I'd advise against skipping entire ships until you are a more experienced player with a couple lines fully researched, around a million of freeXP saved up and have a better grasp on the game as a whole. Skipping "bad" ship can make things easier but it also robs you of the ability to better get the hang of things. Also it can easily catapult you over your competence level - higher tiers gave a different meta and it's better to take it slow when you are still a relatively new player.

Now then - how to best use the free XP? If you don't have anything you're saving for, the obvious answer would be: skipping stock grind. Grind your new ships "normally" and then, when you finally get your hands on them, you can spend a bit of your saved-up free XP to research one or two most crucial modules. Most newly purchases can be made much more pleasant by avoiding the full-stock configuration. As to what modules are THE modules you want to be able to research right away, this question is completely ship-specific. Some are even ok right away, others have very specific "needs" that make the stock grind feel like a stroll through hell. Making sure to research these "must-have" modules for free XP right away can make your line grind both faster and much less painful. The difference should prove more noticeable than by dumping everything into that one underperforming ship in the line.

PS: Diclaimer: I'm not entirely against skipping ships - I just don't think it's a good thing to do when you're still well below 1000 OR an economic way to spend your free XP. Not something I would ever do if I had only 100-200k free XP in my "wallet". This is definitely a decent amount for emergencies (like, as mentioned, skipping the stock grind on ships that suffer when stock) but not yet a huge amount that would justify splurging to skip whole ships :Smile_honoring:

[LADA]
[LADA]
Players
164 posts
4,936 battles
1 hour ago, S1NKARlVlA said:

There exists a turd so awful....so terrible... that no amount of buffing and polishing can help it. I am of course talking about the Izumo - probably the worst T9 in the game bar none. The fact that the other IJN BB is the Mighty Mooshi only compounds matters. Allow me to outline the delights that await you.... 

- Useless turret layout. No 3 Turret will spend half the game pointing in the wrong direction - I promise you. You will curse the designer who decided to stick the turret in that spot and orientation. You will curse the WG developer who found the Izumo plans and stuck them in the game. It even looks moronic sat in the port.

- It's a BIIIIIIIIGGGG target that even the most cross-eyed, inebriated, blindfolded gunner could hit. Armour is okay(ish) but it really doesn't make up for the fact that everyone shoots at you because you are the easiest thing to actually hit. Being HE spammed and roasted tends to be the way I go down most of the time. CVs will also make the most of your inability to dodge torp runs and the entire thing is vulnerable to AP bombs. AA is okay - but heavily reliant on you switching zones. It won't stop a CV you wants you dead.

- Ponderous mobility. It's turning performance is atrocious. It's speed is lacklustre. The rudder shift time can be measured using a sundial. 

However all of this could be dealt with or worked around if you have some firepower right? This is where it gets annoying.

The thing that really irritates me beyond all else is the daft and trolly guns. Expect overpens aplenty even when aiming at the most heavily armoured of targets. That is of course if you hit - I find it frustratingly inconsistent despite it's paper figures of having decent dispersion. Bear in mind also that 6 of your 9 nine guns will only be useable most of the time - angling this thing is a pain due to the dodgy mobility (see above) and the good old borked third turret that is never there when you need it. Even if you just stick to your 1/2 turrets - I find myself missing the overmatching abilities of the Mooshi or the plunging AP pens of the Iowa/Missouri. Even the FDG is less of a pig to play - at least I KNOW it's not going to hit anything beyond 12km....and that is probably the greatest insult of all. 

The only reason I haven't FXP'd it already is that I have a poor man's Yamato already (Musashi) and I'm saving up for the Alaska if and when it appears. I play in it once every so often - only to be reminded why I don't play it anymore.

(As you can probably tell - I'm not a fan).

• Bad 1

[M_OB]
Players
500 posts
4,258 battles
13 minutes ago, DFens_666 said:

This gonna be gud:

So with your 7 games experience you came to that conclusion? You deny others, (who supposedly havent played something), their opinion, while you are doing the same now. 7 games in a ships is hardly worth anything.

Btw have you looked at other BBs at that tier? Sure, they may not have the same Citadel, but they are equaly overmatchable (Colorado / Nagato f.e.).

Nelson is very strong when played correctly, but rather weak when not.

Bring up armor viewer and look at it, I dont need any games at all in it to see that. It has as a colossal citadel. And because the bow is only 25 mm you can EASELY citadel it from the front with 380 mm guns and above. Look at Gneisenay and Scharnhorst. They have a 70 mm front bow, not even a Yamato can overmatch it. Even its sisters Hood and Duke of York has an underwater citadel, even if you can pen the bow you cant citadel them frontally.

Even the side armor is crap, gigantic citadel, no turtleback or anything to protect you. The Citadel is even higher than the Fiji or any other T7 cruiser.

[NWP]
Players
5,177 posts
6,629 battles
25 minutes ago, AdmiralDing3Ling said:

Bring up armor viewer and look at it, I dont need any games at all in it to see that. It has as a colossal citadel. And because the bow is only 25 mm you can EASELY citadel it from the front with 380 mm guns and above. Look at Gneisenay and Scharnhorst. They have a 70 mm front bow, not even a Yamato can overmatch it. Even its sisters Hood and Duke of York has an underwater citadel, even if you can pen the bow you cant citadel them frontally.

Even the side armor is crap, gigantic citadel, no turtleback or anything to protect you. The Citadel is even higher than the Fiji or any other T7 cruiser.

Because you dont define a ship by only looking at one aspect. Especially one which can be worked around. Or are you saying, Stalingrad is a bad ship because it has a HUGE citadel? So some BBs have an overmatchable bow - nothing wrong with that really? And btw, you can citadel DOY/KGV through the bow, did that with Nagato. (Hood can be citadelled easily broadside, i dont think you meant Hood).

Side armor is decent, the citadel is huge, but properly angled means it will bounce the shells, and so will the upper belt btw. Look at Colorado and Nagato, they have much worse Armor which can get overmatched everywhere (except the belt).

[BYOB]
Players
3,528 posts
13,360 battles
26 minutes ago, AdmiralDing3Ling said:

You don't need to have any games in a ship to see its citadel, that is true. But you need games in it to see how it truly plays. Nelson's high citadel is a trade off for the zombie heal. If you don't outright delete her she will come back, and again, and again, and she's still there slinging those 406mm shells while other BBs have long ago burnt down.

LWM calculated that with all the skills and signals the Nelson has a theoretical HP pool of 173,448. If not for the high citadel she would be OP as hell.

Just accept that Nelson isn't a ship for you, but that doesn't mean she's bad, it's just that it doesn't fit your style.

• Cool 2

Players
1,068 posts
8,084 battles

FreeXP'ing ship lines is a valid thing to do, but it's strictly not for relatively new players.

Experienced players packing lots of premium camos/optimal signal sets can rack up millions of FreeXP without even trying. These people can use this to skip grinding lines and they can figure out the T10 despite skipping the earlier ships.

New players don't have so much FreeXP to spare anyway, and they really should learn the ships one at a time, to get accustomed to the play style of that line. FreeXP'ing at least some modules I'd still consider doing though.

And Nelson is a strong ship, I don't understand what someone has to be smoking to claim otherwise. I highly recommend getting this ship, she's fun and unique.

• Cool 1

[M_OB]
Players
500 posts
4,258 battles
6 minutes ago, DFens_666 said:

Because you dont define a ship by only looking at one aspect. Especially one which can be worked around. Or are you saying, Stalingrad is a bad ship because it has a HUGE citadel? So some BBs have an overmatchable bow - nothing wrong with that really? And btw, you can citadel DOY/KGV through the bow, did that with Nagato. (Hood can be citadelled easily broadside, i dont think you meant Hood).

Side armor is decent, the citadel is huge, but properly angled means it will bounce the shells, and so will the upper belt btw. Look at Colorado and Nagato, they have much worse Armor which can get overmatched everywhere (except the belt).

You cant overmatch a Stalingrad frontally thou and hit it straight into the citadel. And yes you sort of can citadel a KGV and Colorado etc throu the front but its very very rare. Nelson has such a massive citadel even frontally that almost every shot fired from other BBs will go straight into the citadel.

Ive had good games with Nelson, the guns are amazing, infact most of the ship is good but the armor lets it down. And the problem is that enemies knows it, you get focused down so fast.

I do agree that it needs bad armor because it has the heal otherwise itd be OP. The thing is for me Id rather have the armor than the heal, that or speed. The thing is too slow to escape focus fire and it takes so much damage from it. I much much prefer Duke of York over Nelson. But sure youre right it doesnt fit my playstyle. And with few battles played it might not fit OPs playstyle either.

Players
242 posts
1,399 battles

So let's have a look. I'm not averse to skipping ships, I've done it with tanks in WoT and I've done it in WoWs. But it's to get to a happy spot, a tier and ship(s) where I feel happy to play, not dragged down in low tiers, and not slaughtered in high tiers. But if the imperative of the OP is to get to the top tiers no matter what, without improving their WR along the way, then I can't see why anybody here is giving positive advice to advance the plan, because you'll be complaining about so-and-so player one day. My advice would be to drop down the tiers until your WR keeps up with some sort of respectable tier average.

[-TWA-]
Players
885 posts
12,021 battles

Unless you have 4x T10 ships in at least 2 different Classes do the following:

Never skip any ship below tier 6. Play the ships until you have enough free xp to unlock most of the important modules on the next tier and then proceed on to the next tier. This will grant you 2 things, plenty of experience as a player and plenty of credits to freely buy ships.

Once you have enough battles and at least 4 tier 10 ships in 2 different classes you can consider yourself to have enough experience to be able to judge if a specific ship along the line will not give you any further insight as to how the line progresses. Then if you have enough free xp to skip it and also avoid playing the next ship stock you can do it.

Players
5,052 posts
6,232 battles

Short answer: No.

Long Answer: There exists no bad IJN BB after Kawachi. If you aren't starting out, Kawachi can be skipped, nothing to be learned there. It's just terrible. Everything after that is decent to good. Some like Myogi and Izumo got bad rep, but got buffed to being solid ships that really do not justify being skipped. Others like Kongo, Fuso, Nagato and Amagi are among best BBs in their tier (and Izumo basically is amongst best tech tree T9, imo), which just leaves Yamato, which is a solid competitive T10.

[JRM]
Players
1,881 posts
15,938 battles

I never liked nagato but its not so bad to warrant skipping it, in fact i dont think any jap bbs are nowdas, you can skip the initial grind (go straight to upgraded modules) with that freexp though, much more enjoyable experience in any silver ship imo...

Sign in to follow this