You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
___V_E_N_O_M___

VENOM's Simple Guide to: Aiming in a Battleship

18 comments in this topic

Players
1,438 posts
5,391 battles

So one thing that has been quite a Grey area for me at least while learning how to play World of Warships, was the art of the aim. How to get that that "perfect" lead so that your shots always land on target (citadel). Obviously the more you practice the better your aim becomes, as you start to feel the target you become better able to anticipate where it will be in 5, 10 or 15 secs time; and so can adjust your aim accordingly!

But in the beginning its always nice to have a simple guide to help you get started, and I am sure most players eventually develop their own theory on how to aim so that they hit the target (citadel).

What I am going to share here is a very basic guide on the theory of aiming I developed during my many trials and tribulations of missing my shots and fine tuning my technique. I have come up with something that pretty much works on most ships when moving at average speeds for their class, with guaranteed hits on the citadel of your target.

CITADEL:

The citadel is the most vulnerable part of the ship, of which landing shots here will incur maximum damage to the target. It is usually located beneath the smoke stacks in the middle of the ship:

700px-Armor_schematics_1.png

The following guide is based on aiming at ships at a range of approx. 14 km away! 

CROSSHAIR:

First off what is the best crosshair to use for aiming, I find this one is best as it has clean lines and diagonals that help with aiming at ships that are moving in any direction:

854443240_type7.thumb.png.14a3f4fcd69c37c4a3f2e8fc35a95264.png

AMMO SELECTION:

The best ammo to use for penetrating armour are AP Shells (Armour Penetrating Shells), as these shells weigh more and are designed to penetrate the most heavily armoured parts of a ship, usually the citadel is protected by a thick layer of armour, that can only be penetrated at a close enough range to the ship and when it is broadside to you. AP Shells will ensure that penetration.

image.png.ce424426054156708b44aedf53604611.png

AIMING:

Different ships move at different speeds, which means the lead time will vary depending on how fast the ship is moving. BBs (Battleships) are the slowest and thus have the shortest lead. You will notice along the left and right of the crosshair there are tick marks at intervals: 5, 10, 15 etc. It is these I use as the point of perception of where to lead my target when shooting. While aiming I will line up the tick mark axis with the waterline of the ship and place the relevant tick marker at the bottom of the ships bow. Now assuming the target ship is broadside to you and moving at full speed...

Battleships / BBs:

I lead by Tick 5 for battleships

BBAim.thumb.png.e79421a39b6220e2a90b85f1b71b8f61.png

Cruisers / CAs:

I lead by Tick 10 for cruisers

CAim.thumb.png.9142377321c41b24e6ca4db4c5b910b6.png

Destroyers / DDs:

I lead by Tick 15 for destroyers

DDAim.thumb.png.19016d2bfd0890172f52295d4290f520.png

Disclaimer: This is by no means a full proof aiming guide for every battleship to hit every other ship, other factors can affect the lead time of your targets, these include the ballistics of main battery projectiles like speed, shell angles, shell weight, dispersion etc, even ship speeds can be very different. Shells from US Battleships are slower and heavier than shells from German or French Battleships, thus have steeper trajectories and take longer to reach their target than lighter shells.

Please take these things into account when aiming at a target, but you can use this a guide a basic reference to help you get started. As you practice your aim, it will get better and you will develop your own aiming style. I wish you all the best of luck in hitting those citadels, this guide will hopefully help you hit a few more!

• Cool 1
  • Funny 2
  • Boring 2

[ADRIA]
[ADRIA]
Players
4,945 posts
7,160 battles

All the numbers you give are so incredibly imprecise and unusable on different ships that this post deserves a :fish_palm: reaction. Sadly enough we still don't have those, so the "boring" one will do

Players
1,438 posts
5,391 battles
5 minutes ago, wilkatis_LV said:

All the numbers you give are so incredibly imprecise and unusable on different ships that this post deserves a :fish_palm: reaction. Sadly enough we still don't have those, so the "boring" one will do

Disclaimer, Read it. Might save you from making silly posts like the one above.

You dont need this guide anyway, its not aimed at your audience. So obviously your own experience is better than any guide, since you have developed your aim through playing etc.

So what may seem mediocre or boring to you will be helpful to those who have just started playing this game and find all the guides and mechanics a bit overwhelming, this guide simply helps them on their path to developing their own aiming style.

[ADRIA]
[ADRIA]
Players
4,945 posts
7,160 battles
5 hours ago, ___V_E_N_O_M___ said:

So what may seem mediocre or boring to you will be helpful to those who have just started playing this game and find all the guides and mechanics a bit overwhelming, this guide simply helps them on their path to developing their own aiming style.

Then at least make it half-helpful by getting your numbers correct.

BB firing at a DD 14km away is less likely to hit than you doing 100 spins with eyes blinded and then throwing a dart in a random direction hoping to hit the bullseye on the target

But at least the 15 ticks lead seems to be correct for shooting at non-russian DDs

Meanwhile 5 on BBs and 10 on cruisers - both areunderled, at best you'll straddle their sterns. 7 and 12 is what you are looking for.

And that, of course, is only at those 14km. What about 12? 10? 8? 16? 20? Your "lead at 14km" is completely irrelevant for all of those. And then what about angled enemy? A target which isn't perfectly broadside to you going at max speed?

This is about as helpful as trying to fix a crack in a window by throwing a brick at it :fish_palm:

• Bad 1

Players
1,438 posts
5,391 battles
3 hours ago, wilkatis_LV said:

Then at least make it half-helpful by getting your numbers correct.

BB firing at a DD 14km away is less likely to hit than you doing 100 spins with eyes blinded and then throwing a dart in a random direction hoping to hit the bullseye on the target

But at least the 15 ticks lead seems to be correct for shooting at non-russian DDs

Meanwhile 5 on BBs and 10 on cruisers - both areunderled, at best you'll straddle their sterns. 7 and 12 is what you are looking for.

And that, of course, is only at those 14km. What about 12? 10? 8? 16? 20? Your "lead at 14km" is completely irrelevant for all of those. And then what about angled enemy? A target which isn't perfectly broadside to you going at max speed?

This is about as helpful as trying to fix a crack in a window by throwing a brick at it :fish_palm:

I am only replying because you have made a constructive response, all I can say now is I will test your numbers in the morning...

Until then adieu

[UNICS]
Players
1,246 posts
16,009 battles

I can hit a cruiser across the map that sails in a strait line with a USN bb , using the dynamic cross-hair

I also uninstalled the game thanks to wg stupid mm , every game is a landslide, i have been away for 10 - 15 days now , feels good man

Players
1,438 posts
5,391 battles

@wilkatis_LV

I checked your figures and you seem to be spot on for targets broadside at 15.5 km, since this is a rough guide for targets at 14km I have to stand by my guide.

People can interpret the guide as they please, there is no manual for shooting all ships in all potential situations. This will at least help them to have a starting point in getting their aim right.

Thanks for your input though :)

[ADRIA]
[ADRIA]
Players
4,945 posts
7,160 battles
1 minute ago, ___V_E_N_O_M___ said:

@wilkatis_LV

I checked your figures and you seem to be spot on for targets broadside at 15.5 km, since this is a rough guide for targets at 14km I have to stand by my guide.

People can interpret the guide as they please, there is no manual for shooting all ships in all potential situations. This will at least help them to have a starting point in getting their aim right.

Thanks for your input though :)

At 14km shell flight time is around 7s. Hence the 7 & 12. 15 for DDs

At 15.5km it's already around 8s, so that would be around 8 & 13. 17 for DDs.

For static crosshair the "calculation" vs a broadside full speed ship is simple - time (s) vs lead (ticks away from bow) is 1:1 for BBs, 1:1.5(+1) for cruisers and 1:2(+1) for DDs

Your numbers would work on a ship going at 3/4 speed, if the target is moving full speed you'd straddle their stern at best

And that's ignoring the fact that those ships won't be perfectly broadside going max speed in a straight line 99% of the time, which makes this kind of aiming guide generally useless

• Bad 1

Players
1,438 posts
5,391 battles
4 minutes ago, wilkatis_LV said:

At 14km shell flight time is around 7s. Hence the 7 & 12. 15 for DDs

At 15.5km it's already around 8s, so that would be around 8 & 13. 17 for DDs.

For static crosshair the "calculation" vs a broadside full speed ship is simple - time (s) vs lead (ticks away from bow) is 1:1 for BBs, 1:1.5(+1) for cruisers and 1:2(+1) for DDs

Your numbers would work on a ship going at 3/4 speed, if the target is moving full speed you'd straddle their stern at best

And that's ignoring the fact that those ships won't be perfectly broadside going max speed in a straight line 99% of the time, which makes this kind of aiming guide generally useless

What shell velocity are you using for these calculations?

[ADRIA]
[ADRIA]
Players
4,945 posts
7,160 battles
34 minutes ago, ___V_E_N_O_M___ said:

What shell velocity are you using for these calculations?

BB AP, their flight time

Here, a short list I checked (ships selected more or less randomly, just picked the 1st 10 BBs I thought of):

14km

Spoiler

Montana 7.44

Yamato 7.1

Fuso 7.82

NewMex 7.3

Bismarck 6.94

Richelieu 6.71

Conqueror (419) 7.19

GK (420) 6.92

Burgogne 6.71

Bretagne 8.45

Average for these 10 -> 7.26s

15.5km

Spoiler

Montana 8.45

Yamato 8.05

Fuso 8.96

NewMex 8.35

Bismarck 7.88

Richelieu 7.6

Conqueror (419) 8.11

GK (420) 7.84

Burgogne 7.6

Bretagne 9.77

Average for these 10 -> 8.26s

• Cool 1

[SCRUB]
Supertester, Players, Sailing Hamster
3,257 posts
3,482 battles

I've used the same crosshair mod (green lemon type I) since CBT, and I always really liked it. Each tick is roughly 5 kts worth of lead and it has vertical deflection lines (the angled lines that go towards the centrepoint of a reticle) so that you can engage targets that aren't sailing perfectly broadside to you. I have had some beautiful deflection shots with that set of crosshairs, I find it's extremely easy to make corrections with it.

• Cool 2

Players
1,246 posts
3,657 battles

Many thanks Venom for highlighting this thread, but it does lead to me wonder about Dynamic and static crosshairs, which to use etc (well the Notser vid did)

By the way I use the type 7 crosshairs too.

I appreciate all the help you guys give on threads like this.

• Cool 1

[CONG]
Players
1 post
328 battles

Really useful post as a starting point Venom. Only realised that you could change your cross hair a couple of days ago thanks to WG hiding it for so long.

• Cool 1

Players
1,438 posts
5,391 battles
3 hours ago, rhawkins said:

Really useful post as a starting point Venom. Only realised that you could change your cross hair a couple of days ago thanks to WG hiding it for so long.

Hi Hawkins,

Thx for your comments and I am glad you find this guide useful. Dont forget to like my guide above and if you need help with anything don't hesitate to ask.

Happy hunting!!!:Smile_honoring: