You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
___V_E_N_O_M___

Alaska for cash!?

57 comments in this topic

Players
1,662 posts
8,056 battles

I think with all the hype and long delays over the release of this ship. Given how the Jean Bart was released for cash, coal and now that its back on sale again tell me they are gonna do the same thing with the Alaska.

Its a ship everyone wants and its ready to be released, they are gonna offer it for cash? I bet you any money! The delays are merely to build anticipation...

[AAO]
Players
1,465 posts
20,050 battles

There might be a cash offer or there might not be,

the ship was confirmed to be 1kk free exp, which already makes it "buyable" assuming one has enough exp lying around on various ships.

[DC_DK]
Players
3,020 posts
30,519 battles
4 minutes ago, rnat said:

There might be a cash offer or there might not be,

the ship was confirmed to be 1kk free exp, which already makes it "buyable" assuming one has enough exp lying around on various ships.

Only 40.000 doubloons

• Funny 2

Beta Tester
3,063 posts
3,463 battles

Call me a-cynical, but I believe that the only reason for the delayed arrival of the fair Alaska is, that Wargaming wants to make sure she's got the proper AA values when she's released. And so they're keeping her on hold until the current CV rework circus has left town. They wouldn't want to release their first tier IX, free xp USN Supercruiser only to have to nerf her AA values two weeks later. If I'm right about this, it's all good with me. I'd rather have a balanced ship tomorrow, than an unbalanced ship today. :Smile_Default:

• Cool 5

Players
1,662 posts
8,056 battles
38 minutes ago, Procrastes said:

Call me a-cynical, but I believe that the only reason for the delayed arrival of the fair Alaska is, that Wargaming wants to make sure she's got the proper AA values when she's released. And so they're keeping her on hold until the current CV rework circus has left town. They wouldn't want to release their first tier IX, free xp USN Supercruiser only to have to nerf her AA values two weeks later. If I'm right about this, it's all good with me. I'd rather have a balanced ship tomorrow, than an unbalanced ship now. :Smile_Default:

Trust me its ready, they are just making you wait a bit more so you buy their pixel ship for cash and of course the only package they will offer will be for the admirals bundle :Smile_great:.

Its very easy to tweak AA values on a ship, much easier than balancing a whole CV rework.

• Cool 1

[ODB]
Alpha Tester
2,913 posts
11,362 battles

They'll hopefully give us a choice of acquiring it a number of ways. Those sillies that want to splash so much cash are welcome to. Doesn't bother me in the slightest.

• Cool 3

[SM0KE]
Players
4,814 posts
11,806 battles

Does it matter if they do sell Alaska directly for money? There isn't much philosophical difference between that, and just converting free xp for doubloons (besides the cash option not requiring any actual experience of the game, of course).

What would be more mysterious to me would be anyone wanting to spend that much on a premium ship whilst we still don't know what WG's policy apropos premiums (and the nerfing of same) is going to look like down the road...

• Cool 5

[BLITZ]
Players
2,783 posts
10,450 battles
1 hour ago, ___V_E_N_O_M___ said:

Trust me its ready, they are just making you wait a bit more so you buy their pixel ship for cash and of course the only package they will offer will be for the admirals bundle

I don't think delaying it will make more people buy it. Also, when did they lately release a ship in a package only?

Players
322 posts
9,766 battles
2 hours ago, ___V_E_N_O_M___ said:

I think with all the hype and long delays over the release of this ship. Given how the Jean Bart was released for cash, coal and now that its back on sale again tell me they are gonna do the same thing with the Alaska.

Its a ship everyone wants and its ready to be released, they are gonna offer it for cash? I bet you any money! The delays are merely to build anticipation...

After all the :etc_swear: things WG did in the past three weeks, you're (or anyone is) still willing to give them any money???

• Cool 3

[CRU_]
Players
206 posts
8,256 battles

Yeah it will be up for a year, then put into gambleboxes, though there are moves in the EU to ban that crap, so they'll probably be dreaming up a new gimmick to open your wallet for far more than you should.

Beta Tester
3,063 posts
3,463 battles
2 hours ago, Verblonde said:

Does it matter if they do sell Alaska directly for money? There isn't much philosophical difference between that, and just converting free xp for doubloons (besides the cash option not requiring any actual experience of the game, of course).

What would be more mysterious to me would be anyone wanting to spend that much on a premium ship whilst we still don't know what WG's policy apropos premiums (and the nerfing of same) is going to look like down the road...

I can't say that I know for sure why Wargaming has decided not to put any premium ships of tier IX and above up for sale for cash only, but I suspect it has to do with the idea that it shouldn't be possible for beginner players to buy themselves all the way up above tier VIII. Free xp, coal and steel on the other hand, are all resources earned by playing the game. So I don't think the Alaska will be made available for cash only, or at least not anytime soon.

As for buying premium ships, there are indeed several ongoing discussions on the forum - and elsewhere as well, I'm sure - about whether such ships should ever be subjected to direct nerfs in order to preserve the game balance (I started one of the polls myself). I don't think anyone can say for sure, yet, what Wargaming will decide to do. Nor do I feel that the question is entirely in the black and white. So far, however, I feel that Wargaming has continued to develop this game in a good way, creating a better and more varied gameplay at (almost) every turn. Believe it or not, but I even have faith that the current CV rework will eventually turn out well. So call me a hopeless romantic if you will, but I'm going to give Wargaming the benefit of the doubt until they give me reason to do otherwise. It was in that spirit I got myself a piece of Wichita, yesterday - and I will most likely get hold of the Alaska as well, when she arrives! :Smile_Default:

• Cool 1

[CRU_]
Players
206 posts
8,256 battles
14 minutes ago, Procrastes said:

I can't say that I know for sure why Wargaming has decided not to put any premium ships of tier IX and above up for sale for cash only, but I suspect it has to do with the idea that it shouldn't be possible for beginner players to buy themselves all the way up above tier VIII. Free xp, coal and steel on the other hand, are all resources earned by playing the game. So I don't think the Alaska will be made available for cash only, or at least not anytime soon.

As for buying premium ships, there are indeed several ongoing discussions on the forum - and elsewhere as well, I'm sure - about whether such ships should ever be subjected to direct nerfs in order to preserve the game balance (I started one of the polls myself). I don't think anyone can say for sure, yet, what Wargaming will decide to do. Nor do I feel that the question is entirely in the black and white. So far, however, I feel that Wargaming has continued to develop this game in a good way, creating a better and more varied gameplay at (almost) every turn. Believe it or not, but I even have faith that the current CV rework will eventually turn out well. So call me a hopeless romantic if you will, but I'm going to give Wargaming the benefit of the doubt until they give me reason to do otherwise. It was in that spirit I got myself a piece of Wichita, yesterday - and I will most likely get hold of the Alaska as well, when she arrives! :Smile_Default:

It's pretty simple sales psychology actually, see you're not actually buying for cash, even though you've used cash to buy that FXP. It's the reason why FXP even exists. Sounds dumb, but it actually works. because people are that dumb.

Players
185 posts
21,263 battles

The difference is, you can grind FXP for free, or you do it like me, spend the FXP you recived from the removed tier 5,7,9 CV's.

In both ways you dont pay a single cent, while grinding 1.000.000 FXP can take some time :Smile_trollface:... and if Azuma turns out to be somekind of OP im also able to refund the weaker CV line and get my third free tier 9 premium (musashi for coal included).

Might be the time to say thanks WG, they made some stupid patches/hotfixes, but in this point they are very kind. :cap_like:

[BONI]
Players
1,257 posts
12,048 battles
10 hours ago, ___V_E_N_O_M___ said:

Its very easy to tweak AA values on a ship, much easier than balancing a whole CV rework.

Yeah, and then the owners scream bloody murder if the tweak is anything other than a buff.

[PC]
Players
375 posts
17,294 battles

Who in their right mind would pay cash for any kind of free XP/coal ship? And lots of cash it would be too. Mad. Save for coal and grind free XP.

Players
203 posts
3,270 battles
14 hours ago, rnat said:

assuming one has enough exp lying around on various ships.

the way XP gains from Premium and Elite Ships are handled currently, that is almost always the case for anyone who has played the game long enough. You dont need to be a business genius to see the method behind it at this point.

My favorite are Tier 1 Ships with 1 or 2 battles (or none in some cases) and over 1 million XP on them thanks to the XP redirecting from special missions and such.

In WOT (if I remember correctly...been a while) you could at least redirect gained XP on Elite Tanks towards Crew Training, which gave you somewhat of an incentive to continue playing that tank. Sure would like to see something like that in WoWS to be honest.

[THESO]
[THESO]
3,350 posts
9,471 battles

If you ask me,

The delay on Alaska is because of CV rework,

No one in their right mind would serve a new ship into the game while it is a hot cluster of mess like this :)

Especially an american heavy cruiser with great AA :)

I don't think even WG would do that...

putting it into the premium shop at the same time with arsenal?
I have no idea, but I won't be surprised.. We are playing a game, they are running a bussiness :)

Do you know how much money needed to build a moon base???

[PC]
Players
375 posts
17,294 battles
18 minutes ago, Excavatus said:

If you ask me,

No one in their right mind would serve a new ship into the game while it is a hot cluster of mess like this :)

I have no idea, but I won't be surprised.. We are playing a game, they are running a bussiness :)

You are overthinking. The Alaska will be out once Ranked has finished. They did not want ranked flooded with Alaska's. 

[THESO]
[THESO]
3,350 posts
9,471 battles
2 minutes ago, Gudgeon said:

You are overthinking. The Alaska will be out once Ranked has finished. They did not want ranked flooded with Alaska's. 

good point..

[PC]
Players
375 posts
17,294 battles
2 minutes ago, Excavatus said:

good point..

Then tier 8 cruisers can get crapped on even more. GG.

Players
374 posts
14,714 battles
14 hours ago, Verblonde said:

Think you would have to be pretty baked to buy alaska with cash after GC gate. Probably will be quite popular then......

• Cool 2

[THROW]
Players
865 posts
23,226 battles
48 minutes ago, Excavatus said:

If you ask me,

Erm witchita was released a week ago. They just lime to be secretive for the sake of it. There has never been a good reason for their stupid NDAs