Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Blixies

Atlanta AA is fixed?

35 comments in this topic

[ITR]
Beta Tester, Players
1,342 posts
4,206 battles

Apparently, it is. Discuss (or don't).

Original Post:

Spoiler

The new updated "Premium Shop in February" article clearly states:

Atlanta

This AA cruiser is a serious obstacle for any enemy air group.
Source:
https://worldofwarships.eu/en/news/sales-and-deals/premium-shop-february-2019/

The last time I checked, the Atlanta owners were not very happy with the state of the ship's AA capabilities.
Please tell me I missed a change that made Atlanta's AA powerful again.

• Cool 1

[GBONM]
Players
260 posts
5,182 battles

my planes die around the Atlanta, it takes 3 seconds, i hope it's not to long for your taste.

• Cool 1
  • Funny 1

Players
512 posts
9,652 battles

Atlanta's AA is, once again, formidable. Not quite as powerful as pre new CV, but that's to be expected.

• Cool 1

[ITR]
Beta Tester, Players
1,342 posts
4,206 battles
2 minutes ago, BuccaneerBill said:

Atlanta's AA is, once again, formidable. Not quite as powerful as pre new CV, but that's to be expected.

Excellent.

4 minutes ago, Zuihou25 said:

my planes die around the Atlanta, it takes 3 seconds, i hope it's not to long for your taste.

that is .... acceptable.

I Indeed missed that change, thank you guys :)

• Funny 1

Players
4,346 posts
7,746 battles
6 minutes ago, loppantorkel said:

I foresee an Atlanta nerf.. It's just too good.

Just wait for pendulum (or rather sledgehammer) swing other way around.

• Cool 1

Beta Tester
2,144 posts
2,329 battles

I guessed that something was afoot with the Atlanta, when I saw that she's the ship of choice for earning elite commander xp in the new set of special missions that is active right now. It's good to see the old gal back in fighting shape! :Smile_teethhappy:

• Cool 2

[SM0KE]
Players
2,606 posts
6,459 battles
37 minutes ago, Procrastes said:

I guessed that something was afoot with the Atlanta, when I saw that she's the ship of choice for earning elite commander xp in the new set of special missions that is active right now. It's good to see the old gal back in fighting shape! :Smile_teethhappy:

My cynical thought was that WG had worked out that Atlanta had become a byword for naff AA since the rework, and sales had fallen off a cliff as a result - this was an attempt to fix it.

Happy to be wrong...

[HOUSE]
Players
237 posts
4,806 battles

Question now is if Atlanta is worth the 20€ it costs in prem store right now... :cap_rambo:

[NWP]
Players
849 posts
6,744 battles
Just now, affie said:

Question now is if Atlanta is worth the 20€ it costs in prem store right now... :cap_rambo:

Atlanta is a strong ship, especially if you have a dedicated IFHE captain in her (or your USN CL captain, which should also be IFHE).

• Cool 1

[UNICS]
Players
3,185 posts
12,579 battles
25 minutes ago, NothingButTheRain said:

No nurfing my precious! :Smile_ohmy:

I love my Atlanta too :Smile_sad: ...but that spam and IFHE seems too good, AA is just cherry on top..

Players
3,027 posts
7,137 battles
8 minutes ago, loppantorkel said:

I love my Atlanta too :Smile_sad: ...but that spam and IFHE seems too good, AA is just cherry on top..

The spam and IFHE is really what keeps Atlanta alive right now. It's really not even that good a ship unless you got a 19pt captain ready to go and even then it's basically a Kitakaze but with paper hull that eats pens and citadels from stuff like Kitakazes even :Smile-_tongue:

But it's a jewel! :cap_rambo::Smile_medal:

• Cool 1

[SM0KE]
Players
2,606 posts
6,459 battles
24 minutes ago, affie said:

One might ask the same question of pretty much any premium ship that doesn't suck at the moment, unless the GC question has been satisfactorily answered and I missed it?

Mind you, you could probably easily spend 20 Euros in an evening down the pub, so an Atlanta only has to match those levels of fun, and it's worth doing - even if it does get nerfed down the line. Possibly.

• Cool 1

Beta Tester
2,144 posts
2,329 battles
9 minutes ago, loppantorkel said:

I love my Atlanta too  ...but that spam and IFHE seems too good, AA is just cherry on top..

You're right about the IFHE-enhanced HE spam being the strong point of the ship - but I hardly think she's in for any kind of dedicated nerf, if that's what you're afraid of. She's just too situational; you have to get everything just right in order to fully capitalize on her strengths. If caught out in open water, or cornered by an enemy that is outside of her very limited torpedo range, she's basically toast. Fun toast, to be sure - any enemy ship that spends more than fifteen seconds within range of her guns will come out of it in a severely scorched state - but toast nonetheless.

Although I heard some rumours of a possible change to the IFHE mechanics sometime in the future, that would make this skill "less obligatory" than it is now. But what this change may consist of, and what it may herald for the Atlanta and other light cruisers of this world, is anyone's guess...

• Cool 2

[CATS]
Players
15,923 posts
11,172 battles
2 hours ago, Blixies said:

Apparently, it is. Discuss (or don't).

Original Post:

Hide contents

The new updated "Premium Shop in February" article clearly states:

Atlanta

This AA cruiser is a serious obstacle for any enemy air group.
Source:
https://worldofwarships.eu/en/news/sales-and-deals/premium-shop-february-2019/

The last time I checked, the Atlanta owners were not very happy with the state of the ship's AA capabilities.
Please tell me I missed a change that made Atlanta's AA powerful again.

No, it is not.

And I have no idea how do you get that from that quote.

"Serious obstacle" does not mean it is as good as before.

Additionaly it should be obvious that we are facing a multitude of AA/CV balance patches.

Beta Tester
2,144 posts
2,329 battles
56 minutes ago, affie said:

I'd say she is. The ship is quite simply hilarious to play. Not always efficient, mind you - but always fun! :Smile_veryhappy:

Edited: I should probably add that in order to get the most out of my Atlanta, I found myself compelled to promote a dedicated Atlanta Captain. Aside from the usual light cruiser skills, she's also trained in Last Stand and Advanced Firing Training, in order to a) not get transformed into a sitting and soon-to-be-dead duck by the first salvo that hits her, and b) be able to shoot at anything outside her suicidal base range of 11,1 km. And you also can't not take the Basic Firing Training skill, which enhances the performance of every single one of her sixteen (16!) 127 mm guns, not only versus aerial targets but also in ship-to-ship combat. So there is that. Still worth it, though!

• Cool 2

[BAD-B]
Players
807 posts
2,438 battles

Selling a predominantly AA ship during heavy CV/AA rework ... hmm ... does not inspire confidence ...

Beta Tester
2,144 posts
2,329 battles
23 minutes ago, Hugh_Ruka said:

Selling a predominantly AA ship during heavy CV/AA rework ... hmm ... does not inspire confidence ...

Don't buy the lady for her AA cups stats - her true selling point, as stated in several of the above posts, are her other virtues! :Smile_Default:

Edited: Seriously, though: While we obviously don't yet know where the Wheel of CV/AA Fortunes will stop, my guess is that the Atlanta will end up at the upper end of the AA power range, whatever that may be. She was a dedicated AA cruiser in real life, after all.

• Cool 1

[BAD-B]
Players
807 posts
2,438 battles
1 minute ago, Procrastes said:

Don't buy the lady for her AA cups stats - her true selling point, as stated in several of the above posts, are her other virtues! :Smile_Default:

Well that's the feature WG chose to stress in the vid ...

Beta Tester
2,144 posts
2,329 battles
5 minutes ago, Hugh_Ruka said:

Well that's the feature WG chose to stress in the vid ...

I can't argue with that, not having seen the video myself. But I made a recent edit to my previous post, where I stated my guess - note the word guess - that the Atlanta will be likely to remain at least above the average when it comes to AA power.

The safest advice, though, is probably to not base any purchase solely on AA capabilities until the CV rework is well and truly completed.

Players
3,002 posts
13,144 battles

Incidentally, what is the recommended build for Atlanta in the new meta?

I used to follow the one suggested by Flamu:

1-Priority Target; 1-Preventative maintenance  ;
2-Adrenaline Rush;
3-Demo Expert;

4-Concealment; 4-IFHE; 4-AFT;

Now everyone seems to recommend "Manual AA" instead of "AFT," which is a shame because "AFT "helped with the range of the Main Battery (and you can hit big BBs even with the Atlanta's shell arcs)

Beta Tester
2,144 posts
2,329 battles

For the record:

I played a game in my Atlanta this very morning. I made an early misplay which cost me about two thirds of my hit points (see about getting caught in open water in post #15 above), and had to proceed accordingly cautiously after that. We were soundly outplayed by the enemy team, and I had basically two not very large windows of opportunity to fire at enemy ships. The first was against an enemy battleship as I rabbited for safety after my initial misplay, and the other was when a Furutaka made a somewhat overbold charge around the nearby headland in order to get at me and got severely torched for his efforts. I got sunk in said gun fight - I forget by whom - and the battle ended in a loss shortly thereafter. But in spite of this, and in spite of me being a barely competent gunner at best, I managed to do over 60 000 points of damage on enemy ships (no planes came even close, unfortunately).

So all in all, I'd describe the Atlanta as a rewarding ship to play, for fun value at the very least - but also, not infrequently, for performance. 

• Cool 1

Players
1,212 posts
7,642 battles

She works just fine. PT/AR/BFT/AFT makes for a good fun surface ship (acceleration module helps too). AA is the icing on the cake.

• Cool 3

[SM0KE]
Players
2,606 posts
6,459 battles
7 minutes ago, Admiral_H_Nelson said:

Now everyone seems to recommend "Manual AA" instead of "AFT," which is a shame because "AFT "helped with the range of the Main Battery (and you can hit big BBs even with the Atlanta's shell arcs)

I seem to recall a quite vehement discussion a few months back apropos AFT, focusing on whether or not the damage done to Atlanta's surface detection when firing warranted the AA benefits of AFT.

What are people's current views on this subject, since everything has changed with AA skills since the rework?

• Cool 1

Sign in to follow this