Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
JuneauEu

How do I play the new Midway?

33 comments in this topic

[-TAW-]
Players
24 posts
5,458 battles

Hi everyone, 

27 games in, so lots of room to grow, though I did play in the test servers also.

This isn't a moan I genuinely want someone who is doing "well" to come and give the basics on what to do whilst playing the new CVs - Specifically the Midway. I can see some people still pulling over 100k average damage per game (someone did 300k+). Yet since yesterday I can't get more then 30-40k. Several games in a row all but 1 or 2 ships (out of 12) had an AA rating of 80+, and in 7 out of 10 attack runs I had lost an entire squadron, for Torpedos and HE bombers, normally before they even finished their attack run - against SOLO ships.

So what role does a Midway play now? 
How do I not just instantly die to AA even when actively dodging the Flak bursts (Though sometimes that isn't possible due to the entire screen being covered in it)
What load out should I have?
What planes should I be doing most damage with?

Yesterday, was an extremely unfun game day.

Example game from yesterday;

4 bombs, 9240 damage
6 torps, 17569 damage
10 rockets, 6574 damage

97 planes lost. NINETY-SEVEN

Using islands for approach, on 2 separate occasions I started the dive bomb run with a full squadron, they all died before the bombs were dropped.
Entire walls of Black Flak covering the entirety of my screen, from lone Battleships that normally have poor AA and even then when you do dodge the flak using noted methods of approach and turning, you lose an entire squadron to flak/constant dps when your in the attack run. 

In most of my games within 10 minutes, I had no planes left :(

I obviously suck, I'm obviously doing something idiotic, I just don't know what it is - I've watched the videos on how to approach a ship to avoid most of the leading flak, and I can use Islands to keep me from being spotted till late (lowering risk of focused AA) but then all my planes die when I start my attack run (Considering USN Torps are 4km range, you can tell how short that window is) and equally for HE bombers, they go up, and sometimes, none come down except in balls of fire.

So, how am I suppose to play?

My damage is extremely low, I averaged 30-40k for my games yesterday, making the current average of 63km I had only recently unlocked the Midway before patch but on the 10 games I had with it I did 101k average.

I genuinely, don't understand what the Midways role in this game. I don't feel like I am a benefit to my team. I don't want to feel useless, tips, hints, anything to help me get up to being average will be helpful.

Thanks

• Cool 1

[N0RSE]
Players
1,763 posts
3 minutes ago, JuneauEu said:

You are not supposed to play CV's right now. If you play CV's now, you agree to be a tester for WG with no rewards or benefits. 

• Cool 1
  • Funny 2

[THESO]
Players
2,216 posts
7,696 battles
Vor 13 Minuten, JuneauEu sagte:

Hi everyone, 

27 games in, so lots of room to grow, though I did play in the test servers also.

This isn't a moan I genuinely want someone who is doing "well" to come and give the basics on what to do whilst playing the new CVs - Specifically the Midway. I can see some people still pulling over 100k average damage per game (someone did 300k+). Yet since yesterday I can't get more then 30-40k. Several games in a row all but 1 or 2 ships (out of 12) had an AA rating of 80+, and in 7 out of 10 attack runs I had lost an entire squadron, for Torpedos and HE bombers, normally before they even finished their attack run - against SOLO ships.

How do I not just instantly die to AA even when actively dodging the Flak bursts (Though sometimes that isn't possible due to the entire screen being covered in it)

4 bombs, 9240 damage
6 torps, 17569 damage
10 rockets, 6574 damage

Using islands for approach, on 2 separate occasions I started the dive bomb run with a full squadron, they all died before the bombs were dropped.
Entire walls of Black Flak covering the entirety of my screen, from lone Battleships that normally have poor AA and even then when you do dodge the flak using noted methods of approach and turning, you lose an entire squadron to flak/constant dps when your in the attack run. 

I obviously suck, I'm obviously doing something idiotic, I just don't know what it is - I've watched the videos on how to approach a ship to avoid most of the leading flak, and I can use Islands to keep me from being spotted till late (lowering risk of focused AA) but then all my planes die when I start my attack run (Considering USN Torps are 4km range, you can tell how short that window is) and equally for HE bombers, they go up, and sometimes, none come down except in balls of fire.

My damage is extremely low, I averaged 30-40k for my games yesterday, making the current average of 63km I had only recently unlocked the Midway before patch but on the 10 games I had with it I did 101k average.

I genuinely, don't understand what the Midways role in this game. I don't feel like I am a benefit to my team. I don't want to feel useless, tips, hints, anything to help me get up to being average will be helpful.

Thanks

Sent me a pm, after work i will invite you to my clans discord and help you out in training rooms. Can't write up a guide that will easily change everything for you right now.

[DPRK]
Beta Tester
58 posts
15 minutes ago, JuneauEu said:

Hi everyone, 

4 bombs, 9240 damage
6 torps, 17569 damage
10 rockets, 6574 damage

Thanks

you don't since Cruisers abuse the stealth , turning off AA's and turn em on at 5-6km when you have no chance to escape

• Cool 1

[NIKE]
Beta Tester
3,237 posts
6,556 battles

This may seem like an odd question, but why are you attempting to learn a class at tier X?

Im aware WG have given you a Tier X midway since you owned the previous tier X midway, but they're not in any way similar.

The skillset from the RTS CV aren't transferable, and the mechanics are hugely different.

In essence its a completely new class, it just happens to share a name with the previous (now removed) class.

Like all things, tier X is the least forgiving. So the AA at tier X is the least forgiving too.

Would you recommend someone who had never played DD to start with the gearing? Unlikley.

I had the kaga/saipan at tier 8. I HAD played all the PTS versions so was already fairly up to speed with the mechanics. Still when it hit the live server I didnt dive into tier 8, I started at a lower tier.

• Cool 2

[THESO]
Players
2,216 posts
7,696 battles

I would recommend to play midway over any other CV uptiered

Players
787 posts
14,861 battles

I've managed to pull out this score earlier today but i had to piss blood to get it. After last 3 hotfixes its getting harder and harder to pull out big dmg numbers and it feels i have to work extra hard to get over 100k dmg compared to other classes.

Stealth AA is not helping as well. To such extent that even behind an island AA has a line of sight on me and I don't have line of sight on a ship. At this point I'm starting to worry if things are actually working as intended, by design or it is just full of bugs and glitches.

1.thumb.jpg.17dc55d1b3586e32a5a56231b69281f4.jpg

[THESO]
Players
2,216 posts
7,696 battles
Vor 1 Minute, Fubucky sagte:

You don't.

Come on man, Midway is not that bad! You just need to figure it out

[THESO]
Players
2,216 posts
7,696 battles
Vor 1 Minute, deadly_if_swallowed sagte:

Midway is not bad. The rework is.

:(

We have to make with what they give us!

There are ways to play well even in this rework and there is still much to figure out!

[SCRUB]
Players
8,460 posts
11,922 battles
5 minutes ago, Zuihou25 said:

We have to make with what they give us!

Actually we don't have to.

Allegedly WG is looking at community feedback. So instead of taking whatever they give us it's in everyone's best interest to call WG out when they're making bullheaded decisions. And if it means no one wants to play CVs after WG keeps nerfhammering them, then WG has to figure out what the hell they're doing wrong because the stated goal of the rework is to make it more popular, not less.

• Cool 3

[THESO]
Players
2,216 posts
7,696 battles
Vor 3 Minuten, Aotearas sagte:

Actually we don't have to.

Allegedly WG is looking at community feedback. So instead of taking whatever they give us it's in everyone's best interest to call WG out when they're making bullheaded decisions. And if it means no one wants to play CVs after WG keeps nerfhammering them, then WG has to figure out what the hell they're doing wrong because the stated goal of the rework is to make it more popular, not less.

Well of course but advice to a question about how to play shouldn' t be dont play

[SCRUB]
Players
8,460 posts
11,922 battles
8 minutes ago, Zuihou25 said:

Well of course but advice to a question about how to play shouldn' t be dont play

Honestly, that is precisely the advice I'd give right now. Every week WG made significant changes to CVs and AA and everytime it meant trying to adept to new limitations and a new AA meta.

If WG would make smaller, incremental changes I'd say keep playing and adapt. But alas WG is apparently contractually obliged to work through the USSR's sledgehammer reservoirs and there's no point int trying to adept to a change when another "hotfix" in a week's time changes everything again. Better to just wait until WG arrived at a halfway stable balance equlibrium and then start playing again. And if it means that WG is starved for accurate balancing data in the meantime, then maybe they'll finally get the bloody message on how to go about balancing stuff without smacking an interns face into the keyboard in the balancing department every week.

• Funny 1

[THESO]
Players
2,216 posts
7,696 battles

But if he doesn't practice now then he'll lack behind later. Also practice in rough terrain will make you a god on a flat smooth surface.

So as soon as the balancing reverts some of the more absurd nerfs it will be easier again and all that practiced under the harshest of nerfs will feed on the ones taking vacations

• Cool 2

Players
787 posts
14,861 battles

First, you scout, see whats what..Get the "feel" for the battlefield.

Than you get reported by half your team cos you are not "supportive" enough ( @Yotsa90 ) :Smile_facepalm:

Than you start picking off isolated targets. You start stacking fires and floods.

Than you get yelled at by your teammates ( @Yotsa90 ) for not supporting them and probably reported again.

Than you finish off all "wounded" ships, go for the kill....

You get reported again... not by enemy team, but by your own team....

Than the match ends as your entire team crumbles like dry bread

GG.. would do it again to farm those salty tears

222222.thumb.jpg.c8b8ad29e4c50df3611e138e32fc6ca5.jpg

• Cool 2
  • Funny 1

Players
1,078 posts
8,085 battles

It's a weird meta we live in, but currently I'm not even sure it's a bad idea to practise CV's at Tier 10. It sure has hell beats practising in a T10 game with a T8 CV or in a T8 game in a T6 CV. :cap_tea:

I've felt fairly comfortable in the Midway (113k damage average which I feel is fine). Some thoughts:

• 0.8.0 CV's feel very dependent on captain skills. I don't know if this is feasible for you, but I pretty much refuse to play them without at least 13 points (to get Aircraft Armor and Survivability Expert on top of Sight Stabilization). The AA meta is rough and I want survivable planes before even leaving port, so I burn Elite XP as needed.
  • Knowing your targets and when to NOT attack is key. Early game with tight ship clusters, it's possible you should take a long game mentality and just not attack. As the game goes on people's AA gets shot up at least a bit, and also the clusters get broken up. Most ships you can take if they're alone (but obviously not Minotaurs and such). I tend to do a lot of my total damage during late game, and it's important to preserve your hangar instead of wasting it on impossible targets.
  • Recognize the situations where you can do one attack run but no more -- and practise taking your planes to a safe location (while still weaving to dodge flak) to hit F.
  • I'd say all three plane types are really important. Especially to be able to stack DOT you should get comfortable with all of them. However I'd say the DB's are the most reliable big damage dealers and I put the Dive Bomber Mod 2 in Slot 4.
  • The heal you have for Torpedo Bombers is a vital asset. as you can use it to guarantee some tactically crucial strikes get through -- use it wisely.
  • Cool 1

[CROTZ]
Beta Tester
1,027 posts
6,677 battles
4 hours ago, JuneauEu said:

Hi everyone, 

4 bombs, 9240 damage
6 torps, 17569 damage
10 rockets, 6574 damage

Thanks

Only sink BB`s.

DD`s with rockets and bombs only if they lay on your way ( travel path ).

Sinking a Yamato, Montana etc. in the first 3 minutes of the game often yields 100k.

Let Salem, z52 etc. AA ships be sunk by the teammates - Keep them spotted for your team.

After a few hundred or thousand matches you will automatically always align perfectly for rockets, bomb drops and torp runs.

Circle around terrain and always try to block AA firing paths with mountains and hills in between.

Enjoy :)

• Cool 1

[-TAW-]
Players
24 posts
5,458 battles

Thanks to all of those taking the time to post tips & hints.

I dropped down to play a few Tier 6 games and was pulling 50-60k in those games, simply not melting in an attack run makes a big difference for me, and its that one mechanic which seems to be doing me over in Tier10s but then the advice for picking targets and possibly ignoring ships early on in the game and awaiting the AA to die down.

Someone PMd me the link to AA - Red clusters = Def AA and to always avoid, makes a difference,

_

To those saying don't play - I get that frustration, a lot. I only leveled up to T10 when they announced the new CVs and a quarter of all my games pre patch and the christmas ranked period (where i switched to BB main) were all Ranger/Indy CV games - admitedly only a hundred or so, but for a 2.5k games person - that is alot for one ship! The current game feels terrible, but all I have done since public test is moan, moan, moan and seeing some people do 300+ k damage just makes you go.. "well, it must just be me". Hence. This post.

AA sucks hard. But some people are getting the damage and win rate so they must be doing something.

Thanks all. Keep the tips coming - ill watch twitch and what not later.

• Cool 1

[DAVY]
Players
97 posts
7,288 battles

I load the next battle queue, I see "1 carrier, 1 battleship, 16 cruisers, 1 destroyer." Then it enters the battle 4-5 T10 BBs and 4-5 T10 cruisers, 1 lonesome T8 DD and some other T8.

Everyone clumps up, I start wondering where to find weak spots. I try to suicide drop with torpedos, but every enemy clump has their hydros and AAs active, the torpedo focus has to start far away, the torpedo activation is like a marathon on water, their speed is 40-something knots even with the torpedo acceleration.... I get no hits.

I can bully the poor DD caught in the open, but killing it takes time because the recent nerfs make it difficult to score hits. Using dive bombers is extremely difficult and suicidal and even when you do succeed, the RNG often just gives you normal pens or overpens.

It's huge struggle. A bit too much of a struggle. I currently average around 55-60k on my Hakuryu, I had better luck on my Shokaku. I still need to learn to use torps better so I expect a damage increase just from improving that. 

The potential to perform is there, but I haven't yet had an opportunity.

PS. The lack of ability to watch where your torps land is making learning how to use them harder. Can't tell if I overshot or undershot, I end up wondering where are my torp hits when it was supposed to be a guaranteed hit and the torps were sure to arm in time.

[TOXIC]
Players
4,529 posts
11,480 battles
21 minutes ago, Masa2mune said:

PS. The lack of ability to watch where your torps land is making learning how to use them harder. Can't tell if I overshot or undershot, I end up wondering where are my torp hits when it was supposed to be a guaranteed hit and the torps were sure to arm in time.

You can't be allowed to press a key to watch your torps. Next you might get an idea that there could also be a key to watch your, you know, ship - and we couldn't have you getting stupid ideas like that :Smile_trollface:

• Funny 4

[DAVY]
Players
97 posts
7,288 battles

Oh, I guess I spoke too soon. I think I started doing something right with the torpedo lead when my torpedo hits went from 2 to 20 and my damage from 50k to 230k.

Also noticed that it's indeed worth leading your planes out of the trouble after the drop instead of just instantly hitting the F key. With a T10 carrier you might actually have survivors unlike Shokaku.

[EST]
Players
1,077 posts
21,988 battles
4 hours ago, quickr said:

I've managed to pull out this score earlier today but i had to piss blood to get it. After last 3 hotfixes its getting harder and harder to pull out big dmg numbers and it feels i have to work extra hard to get over 100k dmg compared to other classes.

Stealth AA is not helping as well. To such extent that even behind an island AA has a line of sight on me and I don't have line of sight on a ship. At this point I'm starting to worry if things are actually working as intended, by design or it is just full of bugs and glitches.

1.thumb.jpg.17dc55d1b3586e32a5a56231b69281f4.jpg

Sooooo, there's still a lot of room for nerfs? :Smile_trollface:

Players
787 posts
14,861 battles
Just now, Profilus said:

Sooooo, there's still room for nerfs? :Smile_trollface:

I'm surprised there isn't new nerfix..... i mean... hotfix

Probably tomorrow :etc_red_button:

• Funny 1

[DAVY]
Players