You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
gopher31

How to stay excited about lower tier ships when you already have the tier X?

27 comments in this topic

[SHAD]
Players
504 posts

I have noticed how as soon as I get a tier 10 I no longer enjoy the 9's and 8's. It's even true of Jean Bart as the Republique does almost everything better.

I'm not sure if it's because as a Tier 10 i'm always top tier, as tier 8/9 i'm fighting the same competition with a weaker ship.

I was just wondering if this is a common feeling or if anyone has any ideas to enjoy being the underdog again.

[CATS]
Players
15,931 posts
11,179 battles

I enjoy Tier 5-7 the most. The maps are just better and there are very good ships.

• Cool 12

[POI--]
Players
4,313 posts
5,395 battles

Depends. Having Hindenburg, I certainly don't feel like playing Hipper or Roon. Yorck currently not in port and Nürnberg is just too fragile. But that's because Hindenburg to me is a ship that is unexciting but at least somewhat solid, the other two are unexciting and I feel like any good other cruiser craps on my ship. I know I wuld when on the other side.

On the other hand Kurfürst has certainly not made me appreciate Bismarck or Gneisenau less, Minotaur still does not make me appreciate Leander and Edinburgh less, Yamato still is not a reason for me to not play Kii. And having the NC, I still play more West Virginia than NC, because I prefer Colorado honestly. And frankly, yes, the T10 is likely better. But it also has a different meta and a different weight to pull most of the time. Getting uptiered is a challenge, but wrecking some T8 or T9 BB in Gneisenau feels much more satisfying than working my a** off trying to play GK.

• Cool 1

[NWP]
Players
657 posts
9,594 battles
12 minutes ago, gopher31 said:

I have noticed how as soon as I get a tier 10 I no longer enjoy the 9's and 8's. It's even true of Jean Bart as the Republique does almost everything better.

I'm not sure if it's because as a Tier 10 i'm always top tier, as tier 8/9 i'm fighting the same competition with a weaker ship.

I was just wondering if this is a common feeling or if anyone has any ideas to enjoy being the underdog again.

I ground every T10 bar CV's. I also got a bored. So I set up a second account, with the aim to re-grind and learn them again as some of the lines I ground out almost 3 years ago. I set rules such as never free exp'ing to the next ship. It's added a fun element to the lower tiers again. That's how I do it. On my main account, I get into low tier ships to help friends I play with grind there new lines. Adds a bit of fun again. 

Also as for T10 itself. I've started to enjoy it again as I've set a target of getting all the LM modules, even if I think they are unless. It's really other than CV the only grinding aim I have until new lines are released. 

• Cool 2

[ADRIA]
Players
4,822 posts
6,919 battles

I play ships I like. Doesn't matter if its t2, 6, 8 or 10. Or any other for that matter

• Cool 6

[DC-DK]
Players
2,408 posts
24,407 battles

I keep all my ships and all are played with regular interval. Low tier T-I-V is mostly played in co-op to avoid seal clubbing... otherwise just for fun and enjoyment

[NWP]
Players
4,363 posts
6,236 battles
3 minutes ago, wilkatis_LV said:

I play ships I like. Doesn't matter if its t2, 6, 8 or 10. Or any other for that matter

This.

Also ive played way more T8 and T9 than T10, so guess im just weird :cap_book: (actually not really, it was depending on the situation^^)

Ofc if you have, lets say Hindenburg, why would you play Roon? Even if you are playing in a Division with someone who is grinding T9, i might rather pick a premium ship (Missouri/Musashi/JB/Kronshtadt). Or if im going more for a Cruiser approach, i probably would play Settle or Neptune instead of Roon.

But on T8 are certainly some nice ships around, which are imo worth keeping.

Ive kept/will keep most of my T8 ships. So far i think the only one which i dont own is Hipper (sold it twice :cap_haloween:), all others which i played ive kept (same for T9, only exception there is FDG). You never know when you might need them if you play divisions :Smile_great:

Players
1,019 posts
7,776 battles

T8 and T9 are always a hard sell to me because so often you end up in a T10 game anyway, and then you just feel you could've just taken that T10 ship.

T5-T7 is the real deal however. The most enjoyable gameplay in this game IMO.

T4 and and especially T3 and below start to feel a bit training-wheely to me, with more limited ship types etc.

I tend to grind my captains to high tiers and then buy lots of mid-tier premiums to play them in.

Players
894 posts
245 battles

I play from tiers 3-9 atm 1-2 just lack any interesting ships and 10 because i have none. I mostly play tiers 6-8 though (similar to my wot’s account).

also i just really like the charles martel and how it plays.

[4_0_4]
Players
4,815 posts
10,976 battles

I have just fun with some ships. Just because the ship on T10 are the "best", doesn't mean I enjoy them as much as the ships below them.

Players
849 posts
8,520 battles
42 minutes ago, gopher31 said:

Because it's challenging and fun. 

Because getting top of the team in a uptiered ship feels better than in a top-tier ship. 

Because you enjoyed certain ships during your grind and you will still enjoy them, even when you have its successor in port. 

Because tier 10 is not end-game content. 

• Cool 1

[-SOG-]
Players
116 posts
1,908 battles
23 minutes ago, GarrusBrutus said:

Because it's challenging and fun. 

Because getting top of the team in a uptiered ship feels better than in a top-tier ship. 

Because you enjoyed certain ships during your grind and you will still enjoy them, even when you have its successor in port. 

Because tier 10 is not end-game content. 

Yep, I never felt that T10 was the objective. I play a lot on my Massachusetts, perhaps more frequently than on my Yamato. And I get uptiered hard a lot in that ship and still manage to be above the other BBs in the team score chart. There is something satisfying about showing the other BBs in your team how to BB.

Players
120 posts
13,419 battles

Honestly I often find I have more fun in the mid tier ships 5-7 usually, I tend to like fast battleships so the Kongo and Hood are default favourites for me and the best thing is down at mid tiers the battles tend to be less cautious so you can enjoy playing aggressively. 

I would suggest think what play style you enjoy and then what ships reflect that style,  then just give them another go using what you have learnt from grinding up the line. 

Players
3,031 posts
7,141 battles
13 hours ago, Bear_Necessities said:

I ground every T10 bar CV's. I also got a bored. So I set up a second account, with the aim to re-grind and learn them again as some of the lines I ground out almost 3 years ago. I set rules such as never free exp'ing to the next ship. It's added a fun element to the lower tiers again. That's how I do it. On my main account, I get into low tier ships to help friends I play with grind there new lines. Adds a bit of fun again. 

Also as for T10 itself. I've started to enjoy it again as I've set a target of getting all the LM modules, even if I think they are unless. It's really other than CV the only grinding aim I have until new lines are released. 

I think CVs are worth trying in operations btw. I played the majority of my CV battles there :Smile_Default:

And a while ago I actually got some of the permacamos for some of the lower tier ships because of operations.

I haven't grinded everything yet, but I've come a long way now. Even got all tech tree battleships except for Montana (but I did cheat a little bit with the German BBs :Smile_hiding:).

I've done restart accounts in several games already. It really gives a fresh perspective and I noticed how much I had improved playing on an essentially empty account again :Smile-_tongue:

Players
130 posts

I have the exact opposite. I have couple of Xs and loads of IXs but dont have the interest to grind/play them at all. I find tier X battles quite booring.

Beta Tester
944 posts
9,338 battles

Best games to be had in my opinion are between 3/4 to 7/8.  With the sweet spot about 5-6. Especially if you have a good premium ship that makes credits regardless of the outcome. For me tier 10 is expensive, too predictable and boring. I do enjoy games in the Kuma, Yubari, Vampire, etc, Current favourite ship is the Mutsuki IJN DD kitted out as an AA boat. It fears no tier 4 CV, and above. Insane AA for its size/tier.

[NWP]
Players
850 posts
6,750 battles

I have a LOT of premiums (only missing on or two) and I find my favourite tier at the minute is tier 8 because of the variety of playstyles from the ships there. Like @Bear_Necessities I have all lines other than the CVs ground out to tier 10.

Players
607 posts
7,330 battles

I have Haragumo, Grozovoi and Zao ground out but don't own any ships in those lines over T-8 (Akizuki and mogami respectively). Pan Asian I have the T-4, T-7, T-9 and T-10 - the last 3 with permanent camo - and play them all a lot. 

My favourite at the moment is Loyang with a 19 point captain. Despite being uptiered every game I am having a lot of fun exploiting the Hydro and trying to hit things with 6.7 km torpedoes. 

• Cool 1

[NWP]
Players
4,363 posts
6,236 battles
15 minutes ago, BLUB__BLUB said:

Because HOOD.... and yes I know we might get Tier X sometimes. WHO CARES!

With current MM, i think its more likely that you will get T6 than T10. In order to get T10, MM has to find a similiar division (T7 BB + something T8), otherwise it cant punish you.

Dirty anchor division :Smile_trollface:

• Funny 1

Players
2,472 posts
2,527 battles
Just now, DFens_666 said:

With current MM, i think its more likely that you will get T6 than T10. In order to get T10, MM has to find a similiar division (T7 BB + something T8), otherwise it cant punish you.

Dirty anchor division :Smile_trollface:

Ah good ( we usually got T8 with lots of T7 though). But we must try with T5DD/CL/BBs and T6 Cv then. 

2x Texas sounds like a good option :cap_like::cap_rambo::etc_swear: :Smile_trollface:

• Cool 1

[KAKE]
Players
1,041 posts
3,371 battles

I assume OP is talking about any single tech tree line, and not lower tier ships in general.

I have a couple of lower tier tech tree ships that I've kept despite having researched their successors. E.g. Amagi, Leander, Fiji, Gaede.... But I find I don't really play them. 

It's a combination of causes. It tends to feel a bit like a waste of time because the rewards for playing those ships aren't that useful. I don't convert elite exp to free exp, and if I want credits I'm better off playing a premium. I don't see the big point in playing Amagi with a lower skilled captain when I have Kii and Musashi where I can stuff in my 18 pt Yamato skipper, even though it is an enjoyable ship.

Captain skill points (or the lack of them) are typically the big blocker for playing an elite tech tree ship (since I usually move captains to the next ship in a line). But in addition, in case of lines I'm still going through, I prefer playing the successors where exp still feels "useful" and I'm getting progression out of them, rather than piling up exp that are never going to be used.

[DAVY]
[DAVY]
1,366 posts
5,758 battles

Don't agree personally.

I have my favorite ships in every line,

but generally my favorite tiers are 7 and 9

7 is the blessed MM line,

I completed KGV grind by only being in tier 9 battles twice.

Just 2 times :) and there are a lot of excellent and fun to play tier 7 ships for me..

KGV, Helena, Gadjah Mada, Fiji...

And at tier 9.. Musashi.. (who does not want a tier 9 yamato?) and Kronhstad... (this ship is blatantly OP but shhhh! dont wake them!)

and kitakaze.. (that is an abomination, I think it is worse than harugumo..  I love her)

Yeah I have absolute sweethearts at tier 10 like Montana, Hindi, Zao... haru, shima..

I guess it is about how much fun I get from that tier 10 ship...

Helena is my top point funwise in that line.. so she stays..

Montana is for the US BBs... etc..etc..

Players
14 posts

Challenge of sinking higher tier ships...and getting to know your enemies by playing other ship lines, yes you can read about and memorize literally every ship in the game, but thats no fun. 

[SM0KE]
Players
2,615 posts
6,467 battles

For me it varies with tree, and what premiums I have available.

For example, Feltcher is excellent, but I now have Black (which my 19 point Gearing captain can be used in), so I'm less likely to play the original. I almost never play Benson now, although it's great fun, as I have Kidd (and Loyang) which are arguably a more efficient use of the time (Kidd generates elite xp, when run with my Gearing captain, for example; that ignores the extra silver from premiums, which is also a consideration).

Ultimately though, I play whatever is fun, and provides variety (playing the same T10 over and over again gets dull, hence why I still don't have any legendary upgrades), pretty much regardless of tier.

There is perhaps a case to be made for some sort of upgrade that would turn a fully researched silver ship into (effectively) a premium, at least in terms of the 'any captain' thing - I'd pay money for that. You could perhaps cap it at T6 at the lowest, to avoid excessive seal-clubbing (although I'm not sure I'd bother as it's not like there aren't plenty of seal-clubbing premiums already)?