You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
OOAndreasOO

Tier VIII CV in tier X game

43 comments in this topic

Players
225 posts
25,799 battles

Just asking if anyone have some ideas how to play a tier VIII CV against tier X?

Because i think is better go straight to enemy and use secondariers....just to have chance of hit and making any damages.

Any alternative suggestions are welcome.

• Cool 1
  • Funny 1
  • Boring 2

[NWP]
Players
851 posts
6,761 battles

We have this thr… Oh, wait.

I think T8 CVs are in a bad place because of MM - not that T10 AA shouldn't be able to rinse them, but because I don't believe they should meet ships above T9. I always feel sorry for T8 CVs in a T10 match, they have limited counterplay.

[CATS]
Players
15,960 posts
11,203 battles
6 minutes ago, OOAndreasOO said:

....Because i think is better go straight to enemy and use secondariers....just to have chance of hit and making ....

:fish_palm:

• Attack Tier VIII ships
  • Attack DD
  • Spot!
  • Focus on ships with low HP

[RONIN]
Beta Tester
2,912 posts
5,800 battles

Which tier 8 CV? They play pretty differently.

General tips though would be scout first - get information for your team without losing planes. Then look for ships that are isolated/have low AA/have taken HE damage.

You need to be able to weave through the flak clouds. Its usually better to do this at top speed because of the way they spawn in.

You want to try to stack DoT damage rather than raw alpha, so this means aiming HE for super structure, and aiming torps for the nose.

[SCRUB]
Players
2,458 posts
7,854 battles
1 minute ago, ColonelPete said:

:fish_palm:

• Attack Tier VIII ships
  • Attack DD
  • Spot!
  • Focus on ships with low HP

Good advices, but unfortunately the situation is often that you have just one or two of these T8 ships in the game, and if those 2 hang near AA ships, you can't get to them, and it becomes super frustrating.

• Cool 5

[YARRR]
Beta Tester
8,228 posts
14,455 battles

Scout first, worry about attacking stuff later. If you can get an AA cruiser killed with initial scouting that's infinitely more valuable to you than getting some initial damage in. Max AA range is 6.9km, as long as you keep out of that you're safe.

• Cool 2

[NWP]
Players
679 posts
9,602 battles

I feel bad for T8 CV’s in T10 games. But then I remember how much a lot of CV players currently love shitting on another class entirely (DD’s) and are blaming all the nerfs on them because their new toy is having to be balanced like everything else... that makes me stop feeling any sympathy. 

I took Kaga out for one game and only did ok due to the amount of planes it has. 

• Cool 2
  • Bad 1

Players
3,032 posts
7,151 battles
1 hour ago, OOAndreasOO said:

Just asking if anyone have some ideas how to play a tier VIII CV against tier X?

Because i think is better go straight to enemy and use secondariers....just to have chance of hit and making any damages.

What a sheer coincidence! :Smile_teethhappy:

The very last replay I made on this forum was about this exact topic!

This was my experience when playing Shokaku in tier 10 matches :Smile-_tongue:

9 minutes ago, NothingButTheRain said:

I can't agree enough with what is voiced here, form what I've read so far.

Shokaku in a tier 10 game means I might as well plot in an auto course into B, then throw away my mouse and do chores around the house for 20 minutes. It's not like I'll get better rewarded if I actually try to play the game.

No matter how hard you try as bottom tier CV, you'll probably end up 12th spot in the list regardless of skill :Smile_sceptic:

Looks like I can put my carriers into the freezer for good and start grinding even more DD lines.

Players
3,032 posts
7,151 battles
1 minute ago, Bear_Necessities said:

I feel bad for T8 CV’s in T10 games. But then I remember how much a lot of CV players currently love shitting on another class entirely (DD’s) and are blaming all the nerfs on them because their new toy is having to be balanced like everything else... that makes me stop feeling any sympathy. 

I took Kaga out for one game and only did ok due to the amount of planes it has. 

I think DD players that let them get shat on by a CV, deserve to be shitted on.

• Cool 1

Players
3,032 posts
7,151 battles
1 hour ago, Kenliero said:

Good advices, but unfortunately the situation is often that you have just one or two of these T8 ships in the game, and if those 2 hang near AA ships, you can't get to them, and it becomes super frustrating.

You mean the usual sole tier 8 cruiser in the tier 10 match right? :Smile-_tongue:

[XODUS]
Players
778 posts
4,519 battles
53 minutes ago, El2aZeR said:

Scout first, worry about attacking stuff later. If you can get an AA cruiser killed with initial scouting that's infinitely more valuable to you than getting some initial damage in. Max AA range is 6.9km, as long as you keep out of that you're safe.

Pretty much spot on
CV's are Hyenas when they are bottom tier, they attack the weak and exposed and those with low health. 

Beta Tester
4,483 posts
9,797 battles
56 minutes ago, Bear_Necessities said:

Currently? An old Shokaku could easily take out higher tier DDs, especially if the player was potato. Current Shokaku would need ages just taking out a lower tier one and no matter how crap the DD player is this remain true.

[YARRR]
Beta Tester
8,228 posts
14,455 battles
1 hour ago, Bear_Necessities said:

that makes me stop feeling any sympathy. 

To be fair when I see all my BBs hiding behind my CV I stop feeling sympathy for surface ship players real fast, too. :Smile_trollface:

• Funny 2

[AAO]
Players
1,808 posts
9,622 battles
1 hour ago, Bear_Necessities said:

But then I remember how much a lot of CV players currently love shitting on another class entirely (DD’s) and are blaming all the nerfs on them because their new toy is having to be balanced like everything else... that makes me stop feeling any sympathy. 

Wow. I saw literally one guy claiming something idiotic like "dd mains getting cvs nerfed with their whining" but that's suddenly "a lot of CV players for you eh?

And this can't be repeated enough: even though CVs are advertized as a tool to go after large surface vessels: they aren't. So many BBs just sit safe together in the back, which makes sending planes there a suicide mission, not to mention BB AA is too strong. I can't even start to recall all the games where I have seen a yamato in either team being top plane killer (and quite likely still being alive)...

Hence they go after DDs, which by definition are more vulnerable given their role...

Together with what @El2aZeR said in another thread, that AA skills/mods should get nerfed (or just abandoned?) with base AA buffed, the specific anti Air role should go back to cruisers and some DDs, with US bbs as exception.

[RONIN]
Beta Tester
2,912 posts
5,800 battles
3 minutes ago, Saiyko said:

I can't even start to recall all the games where I have seen a yamato in either team being top plane killer (and quite likely still being alive)...

Yamato short range AA is horrendously good, it chews up planes in it. 

The best tactic against it is to either drop DB high at full speed so you spend the minimum amount of time in that bubble, or to launch TB from further away so you can peel off without entering the short range AA (although the 50% torp belt cuts down on this effectiveness).

Personally I dislike the conquerer AA - its mid range throws up such a huge wall of flak its virtually impossible to dodge

Players
4,369 posts
7,762 battles
2 hours ago, El2aZeR said:

Then you have 3rd hotfix coming tommorow, which cuts down aerial detection. Which means you can't outspot Minotaur and Wooster, even with IJN stealth specced TB (5.9km aerial detection if I can into math)

3 minutes ago, Xevious_Red said:

Yamato short range AA is horrendously good, it chews up planes in it. 

The best tactic against it is to either drop DB high at full speed so you spend the minimum amount of time in that bubble, or to launch TB from further away so you can peel off without entering the short range AA (although the 50% torp belt cuts down on this effectiveness).

Personally I dislike the conquerer AA - its mid range throws up such a huge wall of flak its virtually impossible to dodge

No tactic will help you with short range AA chewing up planes on their way home. If anything, ships without short range are sort of prefered targets, as they don't have short range to hurt returning planes. Applies to stationary ships tho

[YARRR]
Beta Tester
8,228 posts
14,455 battles
6 minutes ago, Panocek said:

Then you have 3rd hotfix coming tommorow, which cuts down aerial detection. Which means you can't outspot Minotaur and Wooster, even with IJN stealth specced TB (5.9km aerial detection if I can into math)

Yup. I think Mino air detection is currently like 7,5km minimum? With the buff it'll be 6km. That's well inside AA range and thanks to render delay you'll be way closer than that even if you fly in at an angle.

Man am I glad I downloaded the CN client. :Smile_trollface:

Players
4,369 posts
7,762 battles
3 minutes ago, El2aZeR said:

Yup. I think Mino air detection is currently like 7,5km minimum? With the buff it'll be 6km. That's well inside AA range and thanks to render delay you'll be way closer than that even if you fly in at an angle.

Man am I glad I downloaded the CN client. :Smile_trollface:

As I tinker with calculator, flat 20% aerial spot buff makes most cruisers impossible to spot without bumping into AA.

I guess CN is valid option

[YARRR]
Beta Tester
8,228 posts
14,455 battles
6 minutes ago, Panocek said:

I guess CN is valid option

CN client also still has the gun bloom "bug", too.

And it has the normal launcher instead of WGC.

AND, this is the real kicker, the port UI is much smoother for whatever reason. I have literally no idea why since I use the same settings as in the EU client. Maybe it's because I'm not top level yet and therefore flags and commanders are missing or it's because I only have 6 ships in port so it may not last. If it does though it'll be hilarious.

Funny how a previous version of the game can be so much more superior to the current one. Only problem is that the premium store requires some CN only payment options, but that thankfully isn't an issue for me.

Players
798 posts
4,813 battles

The real difficulty will come if they do not adress T8 struggeling against T10 AA in T10 matches but do nerf what CV can still attack : damage/spotting against DD.

I am not against changes to relief DD gameplay, i play all classes so i benefit aswell. But then i would not like to see highter then +1 matches in CV. In fact not in any ship, +2 diifference is always unenjoyable. Was already so in WOT many years ago when i stopped playing that and went WT.

[NKK]
Beta Tester
661 posts
6,624 battles
4 hours ago, OOAndreasOO said:

Alt+F4

• Cool 1

[NWP]
Beta Tester
1,327 posts
12,395 battles
4 hours ago, Kenliero said:

Patience is key as many ships will have way less AA once the battle has been going on for some time, especially if blasted with HE by high caliber CA or BB. So restrain yourself from wasting planes early on but scout instead. The downside to this tactic is that because of domino effect early damage is the most decisive and late damage is kind of meh, i.e. you might trade damage for win rate.

• Cool 2

[TEA]
Players
957 posts
4,264 battles
5 hours ago, OOAndreasOO said:

We call this a Tier 10 Oreo and you are the filling, creamy and soft....

In such situations try not to melt to fast

[SCRUB]
Players
2,911 posts
7,793 battles
5 hours ago, El2aZeR said:

I need a mod where the selected targets AA bubble is drawn on minimap ;) ...oh nm that, you cant select targets in cv