Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
quickr

New game mode: Competitive

15 comments in this topic

[ADRIA]
Players
402 posts
11,218 battles

Intro

Randoms are becoming too much for me: lack of coordination, lack of team work, lack of communication. I've grinded out all lines, nothing more to do. Plus months of CV rework, WG getting out of touch with player base, clan battle seasons being too far apart.... It all became, bad (for lack of words), it became stale, not fun anymore. I've invested so much into WOWS and I'm slowly losing interest. Much faster than I was expecting to be honest. So I was thinking, what would WG have to implement to get my interest back, to have me start up WOWS with smile on my face again. What I'm suggesting came out of selfish reasons but maybe others find it interesting as well. You never know.

So the Idea (not original I'm sure) comes partly from desire to have a semi competitive mode for clans to practice between clan battle seasons. Something where players in clans can hone their skill and tactics, promote and practice teamwork and coordination. And partly to fill the game with more options than randoms, co op, operations. To give it more diversity, more content.

Concept

Concept is simple: two teams (clans) battle it out just like we do in clan battles but there is no ranking, there is no ladder to climb, there is no stars like in ranked. Imagine it like you have a 7 man division made entirely out of your clan mates and you are fighting against another 7 man division from another clan. It's just two clans that queued up for a match, battled it out and got X amount of free xp, regular xp and credits at the end (economy same as if they played randoms, or slightly adjusted, i leave that part to WG).

Example

You get on discord and there are 5 or 6 or 10 players there. And you all want to play something together. There are operations but you are fighting against bots, and bots are no fun. You want a challenge. You queue up for a "competitive mode". At the same time there is another clan that got quite a few new members and clan leader wants to practice with them, help them ease in into competitive side of the clan. They queue up as well. So now we have two clans, each for their own reasons in the "competitive queue". A MM pairs them, they enter the match and battle it out. At the end they get economy rewards like they played randoms but they were all on discord, entire team, communicating and working together as a team. 

MatchMaking

One option is to have a fix number of players per team and fix tier for ships. But I think that is too limiting. 

Second option would be to tick the boxes before entering the queue. Tick how many players you got available, tick which tiers you don't mind playing, do you want a CV match or not, best of 1 or 3 or 5 even.

Third option would be to choose everything after the two teams are paired. Two team captains draft map and tier (dunno how many of you seen map choosing process in CSGO competitive, I'm sure other competitive games have it as well). But that might take too long.

The big issue

Since there is no ranking strong clans might and will end up against weaker clans. One of my favorite saying is you only get better by playing against better opponent. Weak clans can test their skill, learn from stronger players and eventually get better, hopefully. Stronger clans can test weird crap out, some other tactics that they rarely use or invent something completely new. And since there is no ranking, no leaderboard, who cares about winners and looser. Entire idea is based on teamwork and coordination, learning how to play as a unit as a fleet and not soloing at A1, hugging border and hoping for the best.

Conclusion

I realize there is training room but it's so laggy and cumbersome to use. You have to arrange games, contact other clan, set it up days in advance, than someone gives up, than they don't have enough players or someone is an hour late. Well, any clans that tried those training room practice matches know what I'm talking about. Besides it offers no rewards no xp, no credits.

I also realize it might not be everyone cup of tea. Not everyone is here for competitive play. And that is ok. Just ignore everything I wrote, you still have your operations and co op and randoms.

I also realize this is but a dream, it will fly over WG head and no one from WG will take a second glance at it. Still I had to write it down. In my mind it sounded like a nice idea and addition to the game that I love and care for.

I'm open to any and all suggestions, critics, ideas. If you agree feel free to thumb up, if you don't agree, pls don't just thumb down but take a moment and write down why you don't agree. All I'm asking please don't respond with "nope".

Take care!

Q

• Cool 11

[-SOG-]
Players
116 posts
1,908 battles

You forget about wait time. There's a reason why clan battles happen once in a blue moon and only on certain days of the week and hours of the day at that. The amount of players able to participate in them comprise a smaller part of the overall server population and therefore would have to wait a long time to be matched up with each other if these types of battles would be available 24/7. Maybe some people would not mind it, but for a match to happen the following has to be true:

- You have two clans with at least 7 people each ready at the same time to fight. Nevermind that it would be like herding cats.

- You have to have a clan with at least 7 people each ready at the same time to fight and they have to be willing to wait for another clan with 7 people each ready to fight that would be willing to wait at least a similar amount of time.

The effort of getting a battle to happen in this mode is herculean simply because people have work lives and don't really have the patience to sit 10 minutes in front of their screen watching a clock tick (though voice chatting with your mates while that is happening might help alleviate it somewhat).

In the end, it would create the same problems as the training room dilemma. Two clans would have to agree to join battle because there would be just that little activity on the server in this respect. At least that is my theory. Feel free to contradict me, because I'm not here to be a naysayer. In theory, I love the idea! In practice, I doubt it will work.

[WCWVE]
Players
818 posts
12,459 battles

This was tried before and it was called Team Battles and soon disappeared 

• Cool 1

[TOXIC]
Players
1,343 posts
17,279 battles

Exactly what @mlgomez said. It would be already difficult to get team of 7 players and right time of the day, even tho mode would be available all day I guess at the same moment there wouldn't be that many teams, and right tier, few teams dispersed between ten tiers, that queue time would be really long. With current population on all four servers, that mode could succeed only if it will unified all off them, something similar with what WG wan't to do with CBs. In all other cases I think it would be way better for WG to spend time and resource to fix training rooms than waste time for lidl CB mode.

[ADRIA]
Players
402 posts
11,218 battles

Fair points lads. I guess queue time would be major issue.

[TTT]
Players
696 posts
12,939 battles
2 hours ago, quickr said:

Intro

Randoms are becoming too much for me: lack of coordination, lack of team work, lack of communication. I've grinded out all lines, nothing more to do. Plus months of CV rework, WG getting out of touch with player base, clan battle seasons being too far apart.... It all became, bad (for lack of words), it became stale, not fun anymore. I've invested so much into WOWS and I'm slowly losing interest. Much faster than I was expecting to be honest. So I was thinking, what would WG have to implement to get my interest back, to have me start up WOWS with smile on my face again. What I'm suggesting came out of selfish reasons but maybe others find it interesting as well. You never know.

So the Idea (not original I'm sure) comes partly from desire to have a semi competitive mode for clans to practice between clan battle seasons. Something where players in clans can hone their skill and tactics, promote and practice teamwork and coordination. And partly to fill the game with more options than randoms, co op, operations. To give it more diversity, more content.

Concept

Concept is simple: two teams (clans) battle it out just like we do in clan battles but there is no ranking, there is no ladder to climb, there is no stars like in ranked. Imagine it like you have a 7 man division made entirely out of your clan mates and you are fighting against another 7 man division from another clan. It's just two clans that queued up for a match, battled it out and got X amount of free xp, regular xp and credits at the end (economy same as if they played randoms, or slightly adjusted, i leave that part to WG).

Example

You get on discord and there are 5 or 6 or 10 players there. And you all want to play something together. There are operations but you are fighting against bots, and bots are no fun. You want a challenge. You queue up for a "competitive mode". At the same time there is another clan that got quite a few new members and clan leader wants to practice with them, help them ease in into competitive side of the clan. They queue up as well. So now we have two clans, each for their own reasons in the "competitive queue". A MM pairs them, they enter the match and battle it out. At the end they get economy rewards like they played randoms but they were all on discord, entire team, communicating and working together as a team. 

MatchMaking

One option is to have a fix number of players per team and fix tier for ships. But I think that is too limiting. 

Second option would be to tick the boxes before entering the queue. Tick how many players you got available, tick which tiers you don't mind playing, do you want a CV match or not, best of 1 or 3 or 5 even.

Third option would be to choose everything after the two teams are paired. Two team captains draft map and tier (dunno how many of you seen map choosing process in CSGO competitive, I'm sure other competitive games have it as well). But that might take too long.

The big issue

Since there is no ranking strong clans might and will end up against weaker clans. One of my favorite saying is you only get better by playing against better opponent. Weak clans can test their skill, learn from stronger players and eventually get better, hopefully. Stronger clans can test weird crap out, some other tactics that they rarely use or invent something completely new. And since there is no ranking, no leaderboard, who cares about winners and looser. Entire idea is based on teamwork and coordination, learning how to play as a unit as a fleet and not soloing at A1, hugging border and hoping for the best.

Conclusion

I realize there is training room but it's so laggy and cumbersome to use. You have to arrange games, contact other clan, set it up days in advance, than someone gives up, than they don't have enough players or someone is an hour late. Well, any clans that tried those training room practice matches know what I'm talking about. Besides it offers no rewards no xp, no credits.

I also realize it might not be everyone cup of tea. Not everyone is here for competitive play. And that is ok. Just ignore everything I wrote, you still have your operations and co op and randoms.

I also realize this is but a dream, it will fly over WG head and no one from WG will take a second glance at it. Still I had to write it down. In my mind it sounded like a nice idea and addition to the game that I love and care for.

I'm open to any and all suggestions, critics, ideas. If you agree feel free to thumb up, if you don't agree, pls don't just thumb down but take a moment and write down why you don't agree. All I'm asking please don't respond with "nope".

Take care!

Q

+1 from me

• Cool 1

[HOME]
[HOME]
Weekend Tester
965 posts
9,623 battles

I like the idea of this. Like a zero effort training room format, but with credits and such as a 'reward'. To be honest they could even set the economy to Co-op levels and it would be a major problem, at least you get something. Would be doing it for the XP/Credits anyway (have over 100 million credits and 2.5 million free XP).

Players
40 posts
4,802 battles

Forget it. I was asking this for years and nothing changed. WoT had company battles(basically exactly what you describe but with tanks) from the beginning but the WoWs team decided for shitty CW to be the competitive mode with ranking systems that no one cares about.

The player base also is at fault for denying such mode with dumb argumentation.

MfG Boom

[SCRUB]
Players
2,458 posts
7,854 battles

I personally like it that we get break from CB and can play just relaxing random battles for a change.

There was very good suggestion in other thread about "Permanent personal ranking", where you are matched against player with equal skill. I think this game mode could be called "Competitive".

In this model you have permanent "rank", which never resets, for example start from rank value of 5000, then you just play 6vs6 games with player who has similar ranking and when your winrate starts going above 50%, you are set in games with HIGHER RANKING opponents, to balance it back to 50%. This winrate is completely separate from normal winrate. This is only your competitive winrate and the balancing keeps it in 50% at all times. Only ranking value matters. Winrate could be your average from last 100 days or something like that.

This model would give you very competitive games against opponents with similar skill and you actually have ranking value that is very good indicator of your real skill in the game. Like also suggested in other thread, if you don't play games for long time, your ranking starts to drop automatically, which motivates you to keep it up and play games.

• Cool 1

[JRM]
Players
1,312 posts
14,668 battles

Team battles kindda failed but then again they were around before the real clan implementation might be different story nowdays

Players
535 posts
6,040 battles
14 hours ago, quickr said:

Intro

Concept

Example

MatchMaking

The big issue

Conclusion

Take care!

Q

+1

I would add maybe limit:

1 week is week of only t5 than next week is t6 than t7 and so on until T10  ofc and maybe try 2 formats 5vs5 and 7vs7  that would make enough base and teams to not wait for too long also clan should not be a limit ( you can play like in div - no meter what clan are you member )

I also do not have any joy in game in random with more than half clueless players that are here "just for fun" ( I don't know what fun do they have not knowing basic of the game but I don't care anymore ), I just uninstalled game 2 days ago and will take a brake until clan battles ( only very good and true competitive mode in this game )  or until WG made some kind of normal competitive mode, I don't have problem with CV rework or with OP ships or balance of the class --- only problem many players have is lack of competitive playerbase or something that would make players want to be better with every game they play,, that's why I don't see problem in making competitive ( like team or clan battles ) and non competitive modes ( like random now ) but for every day, not on special day and special month and so on like CW

[ADRIA]
Players
402 posts
11,218 battles
13 hours ago, RobS80 said:

I like the idea of this. Like a zero effort training room format, but with credits and such as a 'reward'.

That was the general idea. You happen to have a lot of players online, on discord: "hey lets pop on competitive, see if anyone else is there, wanting to play".

3 hours ago, VooDooZG_Nervozni_Purger said:

I would add maybe limit:

1 week is week of only t5 than next week is t6 than t7 and so on until T10  ofc and maybe try 2 formats 5vs5 and 7vs7  that would make enough base and teams to not wait for too long also clan should not be a limit ( you can play like in div - no meter what clan are you member )

The idea is here, it's easy to tweak and adjust later.

10 hours ago, Colonel_Boom said:

Forget it. I was asking this for years and nothing changed.

If enough people raise their voice maybe something changes.

5 hours ago, Kenliero said:

I personally like it that we get break from CB and can play just relaxing random battles for a change.

There was very good suggestion in other thread about "Permanent personal ranking", where you are matched against player with equal skill. I think this game mode could be called "Competitive".

In this model you have permanent "rank", which never resets, for example start from rank value of 5000, then you just play 6vs6 games with player who has similar ranking

Like I said, if you don't care about such a mod, there are still Randoms, co op, operations to pick from. What you (or someone else) proposed is still a random game but you progress up the ladder playing with randoms. Basically like ranked. Well, exactly like ranked.

My idea, my wish, is to have a game mode that promotes teamwork above all else, and when I say team work I mean, players using coms and working together towards common goal. That goal can be a mere win but it can also be a desire to get better at the game, improve team voice chat and giving out commands, work on different tactics and approaches....anything really.

[TOXIC]
Players
1,343 posts
17,279 battles
16 minutes ago, quickr said:

That was the general idea. You happen to have a lot of players online, on discord: "hey lets pop on competitive, see if anyone else is there, wanting to play".

Name of the proposed mod is wrong tho. If it just a "casual" battles between the clans/teams then you can't call it the Competitive as there is no actual competition. Clan/Team battles would be describe your idea way better.

[ADRIA]
Players
402 posts
11,218 battles
45 minutes ago, fumtu said:

Name of the proposed mod is wrong tho. If it just a "casual" battles between the clans/teams then you can't call it the Competitive as there is no actual competition. Clan/Team battles would be describe your idea way better.

Fair point, you are right.

WG can name it training room 2.0 if they want. It can be named whatever.

[HOME]
[HOME]
Weekend Tester
965 posts
9,623 battles

Name is not important. Just gets rid of the clunky training room feature that barely works well. Means people can play competitive game modes in clan setting, with minimal rewards as training together. No Steel or flags or oil etc, and not somewhere that personal missions can be ground out perhaps (open to contrary opinion on that though).

• Cool 1

Sign in to follow this