You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Winged_Cat_Dormant

Went to the dark side.

22 comments in this topic

Players
181 posts
6,509 battles

So after three years of never touching a CV I went ahead and got my first American T-IV carrier.

Pain the back, mind you. What pleasure people get from flying planes when you can cut the waters on a ship with guns? No idea.

Anyways, I went ahead and played some games first in co-op then in random. Started doing 2K damage, then 7K, now barely reached 10K. Getting better at dropping bombs but it’s still difficult. Torping BBs is still bad, I can’t just do it right. It is not clear when you can start dropping bombs and less clear why your torps are always late.

Rockets are the easiest to control from the beginning.

Spotting DDs initially is not that easy, but once you see them you can make their lives miserable.  But at low tiers there are lots of DDs, usually 3 or 4 a side, so they are the ones deciding the battle.

A very, very frustrating thing is the autopilot which keeps on beaching the CV. It Is not cleat sometimes why I can’t activate the autopilot and just keep on clicking on the map. You never feel in control of the ship, it’s difficult to adjust position because sometimes it just does not respond to orders.

Another thing is that you can get attacked by the enemy CVs and there is nothing you can do about it. Same with attacking planes, you can’t help your team mates.

I am determined to keep on learning this line, not because I like it but in order to understand WG an CV players motivations.

To me CVs do not belong into the game at all, and nothing that I have experienced so far have given me elements to even start changing my mind, although I’ll remain open for the sake of having a constructive discussion.

Note: You know who really enjoys CVs? My son. He is 8. He loves them. That to me says a lot.

Cheers and good hunt!

• Cool 2
  • Funny 1
  • Boring 1

Players
4,351 posts
7,755 battles
7 minutes ago, Winged_Cat_Dormant said:

I'll jump to T-VI CVs soon and report on that.

CVs you can consider "fun and impactful" from tier 8 onwards, with Lex and Shokek suffering from standard issue, Tier 8 Matchmaking mk.1. So yea, tier 10 is actually balanced and fun, albeit expensive to run.

Tier 6 at least can be used in Operations

• Cool 1

[FDUSH]
Players
1,194 posts
6,749 battles
10 minutes ago, Winged_Cat_Dormant said:

I'll jump to T-VI CVs soon and report on that.

There isn't much difference in Ryujo/Ranger from tier IV ships. Except torpedo planes maybe, and these sucks badly (only 2 torpedos on the case of Ryujo)

• Cool 1

[ONE2]
Players
2,527 posts
14,979 battles
4 hours ago, Winged_Cat_Dormant said:

To me CVs do not belong into the game at all...

I don't play CV's myself anymore, but have a couple of hundred games behind me just to "know the enemy". CV's do have a place in this game and it should be a central role. After all what would all those batteries of AA and DP guns guns be doing otherwise? They might as well be removed then. :Smile_Default:

There is a role for the AA ship, for which it is possible to meaningfully exist ONLY if there are lots of planes in the game. Same with different ship configuration choices, module options and Captain skills - Considerations which make the game even more interesting. However, the CV's have currently (and I daresay were even before) been quite ineptly implemented and remain imbalanced against the other ships so that needs to be addressed ASAP.:cap_old:

In short, much work still needs to be done.:fish_nerv:

• Cool 1

Players
181 posts
6,509 battles
18 minutes ago, Panocek said:

CVs you can consider "fun and impactful" from tier 8 onwards, with Lex and Shokek suffering from standard issue, Tier 8 Matchmaking mk.1. So yea, tier 10 is actually balanced and fun, albeit expensive to run.

Tier 6 at least can be used in Operations

Thanks for the info!

Players
181 posts
6,509 battles
24 minutes ago, RAHJAILARI said:

I don't play CV's myself anymore, but have a couple of hundred games behind me just to "know the enemy". CV's do have a place in this game and it should be a central role. After all what would all those batteries of AA and DP guns guns be doing otherwise? They might as well be removed then. :Smile_Default:

There is a role for the AA ship, for which it is possible to meaningfully exist ONLY if there are lots of planes in the game. Same with different ship configuration choices, module options and Captain skills - Considerations which make it all the more interesting. However, the CV's have currently (and I daresay even before) been quite ineptly implemented and remain imbalanced against the other ships so that needs to be addressed ASAP.:cap_old:

In short, much work still needs to be done.:fish_nerv:

I honestly don't see how this can be properly integrated. You have three very different classes, then so many ships in each one depending on tiers, countries, etc.

Also, for instance on my Izumo. If you go full AA spec then it is very difficult to have the level of success but if you change it back to battle spec, then it gets obliterated by planes. There is no balance even from the ship itself.

[ONE2]
Players
2,527 posts
14,979 battles
2 hours ago, Winged_Cat_Dormant said:

I honestly don't see how this can be properly integrated. You have three very different classes, then so many ships in each one depending on tiers, countries, etc.

Man has already gone to the Moon lad. Created internet linking hundreds of countries in several continents and thousands of languages to each other. Why would resolving small balancing issues with a couple of fictional ship lines or countries be impossible? If no ready solution exists then we / WG can just make up one, no problem. The current mess is merely a temporary hitch that's all. :Smile_Default:

• Cool 2

Players
181 posts
6,509 battles
53 minutes ago, RAHJAILARI said:

Man has already gone to the Moon lad. Created internet linkind hundreds of countries in several continents and thousands of languages to each other. Why would resolving small balancing issues with a couple of fictional ship lines or countries be impossible? If no ready solution exists then we / WG can just make up one, no problem. The current mess is merely a temporary hitch that's all. :Smile_Default:

Let's talk in game reality. 

I'll wait, but I am not counting on WG to do it right.

• Cool 1

[SCRUB]
Players
2,458 posts
7,854 battles
1 hour ago, Sargento_YO said:

There isn't much difference in Ryujo/Ranger from tier IV ships. Except torpedo planes maybe, and these sucks badly (only 2 torpedos on the case of Ryujo)

Shokaku also has 2 torpedoes, so it's not going to change anytime soon...

Players
779 posts
4,780 battles

- Start attack with torpedo's at 5 km. You will have time to proper narrow your aiming and arm torpedo's. During attack run your planes have 30 % more armor. ( strange mechanic  )

- After starting attack use only mouse aim with very slight movements to correct. Your hit chance will rise significantly. Goes for all aircraft including those with rockets.

- Aim next to ships with divebombers and mouse aim toward them during the dive. Try to release just before the aircraft start to pull up, the ships surface is the largest then.

Mind the captain points and ship upgrades, they matter a lot against AA and what DPM you can put out. ( faster planes that survive can make a lot more attacks )

Players
4,351 posts
7,755 battles
13 minutes ago, Beastofwar said:

- Start attack with torpedo's at 5 km. You will have time to proper narrow your aiming and arm torpedo's. During attack run your planes have 30 % more armor. ( strange mechanic  )

- After starting attack use only mouse aim with very slight movements to correct. Your hit chance will rise significantly. Goes for all aircraft including those with rockets.

- Aim next to ships with divebombers and mouse aim toward them during the dive. Try to release just before the aircraft start to pull out of the dive, the ships surface is huge then.

I'd suggest starting even further away, at 8km, so when planes enter AA they are already in position. Add to that superior* speed and quick get in-get out TB run is your modus operandi

*until Teaplanes arrive

Players
779 posts
4,780 battles

Ah and a last maybe important feature :

- You can make tighter turns by braking ( slowing down ) aircraft. This sharp turning is beautifully animated by maximum extending ailerons. This consumes "turbo power" just as accelerating does so you need to take care it's not depleted. Especially usefull for damaging agile evading DD's (almost) every pass untill all aircraft in the squadron have shot their rockets.

Players
779 posts
4,780 battles

And ofcourse DD are the ones on the dark side...they operate from the shadows and kill unseen. ( or did, lol ) CV are the light, flying boldly across the heavens :-))))

• Funny 1

[SCRUB]
Quality Poster
3,190 posts
8,986 battles

Hi all,

2 hours ago, Winged_Cat_Dormant said:

So after three years of never touching a CV I went ahead and got my first American T-IV carrier.

Pain the back, mind you. What pleasure people get from flying planes when you can cut the waters on a ship with guns? No idea.

Anyways, I went ahead and played some games first in co-op then in random. Started doing 2K damage, then 7K, now barely reached 10K. Getting better at dropping bombs but it’s still difficult. Torping BBs is still bad, I can’t just do it right. It is not clear when you can start dropping bombs and less clear why your torps are always late.

Rockets are the easiest to control from the beginning.

Spotting DDs initially is not that easy, but once you see them you can make their lives miserable.  But at low tiers there are lots of DDs, usually 3 or 4 a side, so they are the ones deciding the battle.

A very, very frustrating thing is the autopilot which keeps on beaching the CV. It Is not cleat sometimes why I can’t activate the autopilot and just keep on clicking on the map. You never feel in control of the ship, it’s difficult to adjust position because sometimes it just does not respond to orders.

Another thing is that you can get attacked by the enemy CVs and there is nothing you can do about it. Same with attacking planes, you can’t help your team mates.

I am determined to keep on learning this line, not because I like it but in order to understand WG an CV players motivations.

To me CVs do not belong into the game at all, and nothing that I have experienced so far have given me elements to even start changing my mind, although I’ll remain open for the sake of having a constructive discussion.

Note: You know who really enjoys CVs? My son. He is 8. He loves them. That to me says a lot.

Cheers and good hunt!

I am in exactly the "same shoes" as you are! :Smile_hiding:

After playing the "old" CVs the very last moment (as explained below):

I now purchased both "Langley" and "Hosho" and placed my spare 19-point captains on them... slowly trying them in CoOp for time being...

BTW; and funny enough, with the RTS "old" CVs I had nothing but breeze in CoOp - with "new" Cvs I struggle to inflict the damage because, for example,  you can carry just one single torp plane attack at Tier IV...

Leo "Apolllo11"

• Cool 2

Players
181 posts
6,509 battles
2 minutes ago, Leo_Apollo11 said:

BTW; and funny enough, with the RTS "old" CVs I had nothing but breeze in CoOp - with "new" Cvs I struggle to inflict the damage because, for example,  you can carry just one single torp plane attack at Tier IV...

Yes, exactly my experience!

• Cool 1

Players
95 posts
460 battles

- Depending of the Ship type or the Ships that are arround, don't make sharp turns after the first run. You will loose your planes very fast that way. Speed away, wiggle about to avoid puffs (not sure if that really works, WG went full blown RNG on that). Btw for some odd reason AA shoots farer away than indicated when flying away. However, you are better off flying away from the AA "bubbles" and start a clean run, rather than making sharp turns, that will get you killed.

• Cool 1

[-SOG-]
Players
116 posts
1,908 battles

OP, wait until you get to T10. The real show starts there. I played a few of those in the test server and just dropped it in sheer disgust at how easy it was to blap anything from the sky. If you get paired up against a CV player that doesn't know how to avoid flak, you basically get carte blanche on the enemy. It was....... a weird experience and I would probably use it for stat padding more than anything else. Sure, I have fun, but the enemy team is stuck without any counterplay except switching sectors, which to me is ridiculously easy to predict and work around.

[JR-IT]
Alpha Tester
841 posts
7,406 battles
12 minutes ago, mlgomez said:

OP, wait until you get to T10. The real show starts there. I played a few of those in the test server and just dropped it in sheer disgust at how easy it was to blap anything from the sky. If you get paired up against a CV player that doesn't know how to avoid flak, you basically get carte blanche on the enemy. It was....... a weird experience and I would probably use it for stat padding more than anything else. Sure, I have fun, but the enemy team is stuck without any counterplay except switching sectors, which to me is ridiculously easy to predict and work around.

Man you will get a rough ride if you get to tier 10 cvs now that the 8.01 has arrived

[-SOG-]
Players
116 posts
1,908 battles
2 hours ago, Flavio1997 said:

Man you will get a rough ride if you get to tier 10 cvs now that the 8.01 has arrived

Tested each version. No such thing. Griefed matches like crazy. It was fun (in a way), to tell the truth. But it just felt..... Ugh....