You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
para4502

Ranked - worth trying for rank 1? (average player)

22 comments in this topic

[BRTMN]
Beta Tester
68 posts
15,517 battles

Hi all,

Please don't just troll.

I am an average player (stats below), I have played a number of ranked seasons and cannot seem to get to Rank 1 - can get to rank 5, have done rank 1 in sprint. Question is - can I and is it worth it? It gets very depressing going up/down for ages !!

Battles 11 945 12 33
Win rate
Next level: Good (+1%)
50.96%
Average
33.33%
Bad
- 0.02% 54.55%
Very Good
+ 0.01%
Personal Rating (PR)
Next level: Good (+162)
1 188
Average
1 382
Good
-

1 298
Average 

-

3,841 posts
8,611 battles
1 minute ago, para4502 said:

can I and is it worth it?

If you're persistent enough and WANT the rewards that are up for grabs, then I'd say, yes you can do.

However, you constantely have to battle with bouncing up and down a lot. 

• Cool 2

[JRM]
Players
157 posts
8,802 battles

Play like a lot of others, save star a lot in lost and you will rank out eventually, just play bb and farm dmg, musaahi is best for it if you have it.

[BYOB]
Players
3,391 posts
12,037 battles

You can rank out, the question is whether you really want to get those rewards and if you are willing to take in all the toxicity.

Because ranked is as toxic and not fun as it comes.

• Cool 1

[-AP-]
Players
747 posts
2,918 battles

ive held 66% winrate over 87 battles and am sitting at rank 3 atm. Id imagine that it would take many times those battles at just over 50% winrate

[OP-B]
Beta Tester
91 posts
3,156 battles
8 minutes ago, para4502 said:

can I?

Of course. Due to the "save a star" mechanic every game adds a star into "the system". This means anyone can get to rank 1 if they play enough battles.

The only requirement is time and ship of appropriate tier.

9 minutes ago, para4502 said:

is it worth it?

It really depends how much you value steel. It is a rare resource, which you can gain only through ranked and clan battle seasons (with very rare exceptions like snowflakes). If you want a ship that is sold for steel, then rankeds are the way to go. Otherwise I'd say play first few ranks, as they give pretty substantial rewards for the time required to get them.

• Cool 1

Players
3,279 posts
16,903 battles
35 minutes ago, para4502 said:

I have played a number of ranked seasons and cannot seem to get to Rank 1 - can get to rank 5,

If you want to get to rank 1 in reasonable amount of games, you must play very well after all. Beeing mediocre is most the times not enough. In 5-2 bracket there is a lot of very good players, which are capable to carry games even alone.

Ex. I have 60% solo on randoms, but playing rankeds is not easy cake walk for me too and rank 1 is about 200 games with 53-56% WR.

• Cool 1

[UNICS]
Players
3,191 posts
12,596 battles

I doubt it's worth it if you didn't enjoy it the earlier seasons. I don't know the rules this season so maybe it is a bit tougher or easier, but don't believe the notion that anyone can reach rank 1 with enough persistence. You may, but it probably depends how much time and effort you're willing to spend. Maybe if you've got the right ship for it.

• Cool 1

Players
607 posts
7,330 battles

The game is meant to be fun, play for fun, and maybe the rewards at each level. You are not doing yourself or your team an good trying to luck down the rank one if you aren't contributing to your teams. There are enough selfish people in this game already. 

• Cool 1

Players
3,279 posts
16,903 battles

I looked at ranked stats of this season of para450. He played some ships and his best was Alsace with 60% WR after 60 games. So probably the best strategy is to play this one only. Both in rankeds and randoms. I am doing the same with destroyer, which suits me best. At the season end, I feel that I no longer play her, but ship is playing by himself ;-)

[SM0KE]
Players
2,615 posts
6,467 battles
On 2/17/2019 at 1:13 PM, para4502 said:

I am an average player (stats below), I have played a number of ranked seasons and cannot seem to get to Rank 1 - can get to rank 5, have done rank 1 in sprint. Question is - can I and is it worth it? It gets very depressing going up/down for ages !!

As others have said, you certainly *can*; the crucial question is how long will it take?

The crucial reward that you can't easily get elsewhere is steel, at least most of the time (we don't know if the recent snowflakes thing over Christmas will be repeated); for all the other rewards, it probably isn't worth the extreme frustration - this is game, and is meant to be fun, after all.

Whether the steel is worth it will vary from player to player, and how much time you're prepared to sink into getting it.

For me, I don't want the steel ships enough to ruin my enjoyment of playing, so I called it a day at Rank 10 (and this, for me, was the least annoying season of Ranked to date) - don't get too hung up about steel and/or epeen stats, and only play as much as you actually enjoy...

• Cool 2

[BFS]
[BFS]
Players
210 posts
17,196 battles

I have not played ranked battles since Saturday, but I have returned today ... but what a horrible experience:   There is no team fight at all !!  "My" DD(s) is/are only camping, not scouting or spotting for other teammates at all.

DDs(s) will let whole team die, then do(es) some dmg and collect(s) some points/bonuses, and battle is over. 1st place of losing team ... ego-selfish useless DD not losing the star!  That´s all ...

WG ... pls, remove completely the rule of ... "1st place of the losing team - not losing the star" ... BIG THX in advance !!    (... or pls, you can come with other better system of progressing towards rank 1 ... )

[W-C]
Beta Tester, Players, In AlfaTesters
2,442 posts
6,517 battles

Ranked is a real pain to deal with, but I dare say that the current season is the best out of all of them because its gamemode is arms race. People here often just rush in and don't watch their surroundings, so games like these aren't too uncommon.

42808_166_1550487975.png

Just don't aim for rank one. You'll lose braincells if you do. Just aim for rank 10 or 8 or something...the rewards are still worth it.

• Cool 2

[OGHF]
Players
673 posts
11,806 battles
2 minutes ago, Turbeen said:

I have not played ranked battles since Saturday, but I have returned today ... but what a horrible experience:   There is no team fight at all !!  "My" DD(s) is/are only camping, not scouting or spotting for other teammates at all.

DDs(s) will let whole team die, then do(es) some dmg and collect(s) some points/bonuses, and battle is over. 1st place of losing team ... ego-selfish useless DD not losing the star!  That´s all ...

WG ... pls, remove completely the rule of ... "1st place of the losing team - not losing the star" ... BIG THX in advance !!    (... or pls, you can come with other better system of progressing towards rank 1 ... )

Sorry, but would totally disagree with that comment, if I am  in my DD, I spot, cap buffs and torp BB and team up with CA/DD. To delete other DD’s, and often have to rely on keeping the losing team star, and that is when I am usualy the 2nd or 3rd to die.

[EUR]
Players
190 posts
3,312 battles

above a certain tier the toxicity and randomness is deleterious. I stopped playing to calm down a bit as trying to carry a potato team against high tiered gurus is not very fun or easy, plus most of the times due to the save star mechanism there always a couple of players not really helping the team win but looking not to lose which means rest of team eats pork and gets cucked. If you get lucky in mm then you can have a good string of results and get some nice rewards but you need a good stronk stomach for it cuz you're gonna get rained with all manner of epithets whether you play well or not. As for the winrate it matters not at all in my opinion, eventually if you play a ton of games you will make it just dont die trying :)

• Cool 1

[BFS]
[BFS]
Players
210 posts
17,196 battles
1 minute ago, Cyclops_ said:

Sorry, but would totally disagree with that comment, if I am  in my DD, I spot, cap buffs and torp BB and team up with CA/DD. To delete other DD’s, and often have to rely on keeping the losing team star, and that is when I am usualy the 2nd or 3rd to die.

You can disagree totally ... but current rule "1st place of the losing team - not losing the star" is stupid and does NOT support team effort.

In my opinion, the system of gaining stars should be based on indiviual performance of the player during every battle - won or lost.   Damage done, scouting, initiative (not stupid camping), etc. should be taken into the system.

[W-C]
Players
496 posts
2,284 battles

Interesting thread... and very apropos for me!

I'm currently at 5.3 having suffered a nasty loss streak from R4 to R7 yesterday (even with a break!)

image.thumb.png.ce303e3107eb14e1c2652d775c96b63b.png

I'm pretty keen on the R1 rewards but I'm just struggling to see how I'm going to do it - I've saved a total of 3 stars in my 40 losses (I started the season at R13 or thereabouts), so it has been a VERY bumpy ride. And based on my solo random performance I feel like my ranked performance is on borrowed time!

There are people out there who team play, and there are those who don't. I think the knack is identifying those who can/might team play and then work with them... maybe. Doesn't save too many stars but wins are what will get you there eventually.

Kudos, and thanks for opening the thread OP.

• Cool 1

[OGHF]
Players
673 posts
11,806 battles
Just now, Turbeen said:

You can disagree totally ... but current rule "1st place of the losing team - not losing the star" is stupid and does NOT support team effort.

In my opinion, the system of gaining stars should be based on indiviual performance of the player during every battle - won or lost.   Damage done, scouting, initiative (not stupid camping), etc. should be taken into the system.

So if in my DD I cap the Buffs, Spot for the Team and smoke CA’s and team support with out being spotted and stay out of stupid radar ranges  etc, where does my XP come from?? as NON of these give me XP, so if you just want your DD’s to yolo and die well done, try playing a DD and just see how difficult it can be.

• Cool 2

[BFS]
[BFS]
Players
210 posts
17,196 battles
1 minute ago, Cyclops_ said:

So if in my DD I cap the Buffs, Spot for the Team and smoke CA’s and team support with out being spotted and stay out of stupid radar ranges  etc, where does my XP come from?? as NON of these give me XP, so if you just want your DD’s to yolo and die well done, try playing a DD and just see how difficult it can be.

Capping teh buffs, spotting for team, smoking own team not giving you xp ?    Not being spotted ... etc ... not giving you xp ?  That is exactly what I´m talking about - new system should be implemented for gaining xp AND in ranked battles  for collecting stars.   DD which helps own team should be honoured with more xp !   Simple.

[JRM]
Players
1,312 posts
14,668 battles

You can, almost anyone can if they can at least hit what they aim for and not actively hamper the team effort (yoloing, border sniping) the question is how many games it will take you to get there and do you have the patience to endure it

[-GG-]
Players
172 posts
11,334 battles

Make a bit of business plan: how much steel do you have now, how much can you get going further in RB and how much you need for your goal (Flint ? Black ? Stalin ? Bourgogne ?)

If you aren't active in a strong CB clan you won't reach +25k steel anyway in a near future (you would need 2-3 years of RB seasons and Rank 1 each time to gain that amount of steel).

Probably WG will repeat some kind of steel-events like "snowflake" or free-steel-missions in future but it won't be often, once a year probably.