Sign in to follow this  
Beastofwar

CV learning curve too steep for newcomers ?

5 comments in this topic

Players
761 posts
4,756 battles

After the CV rework i had to adapt to the what and how you play the new CV. There are a few complaing posts of me while going through that proces, the "hotfixes" prolonged that proces but after a week or so i am comfortable with CV with the exeption of tier X matches in a tier VIII CV but this is a well known issue.

My point is i played so much with the new CV that i did not notice how it was with other class ships. Now that i have returned playing those classes again i see 1) declining number of matches with CV's 2) Those using CV often being utterly incompetent with them. And i noticed my mediocre AA ships - with use of the sectors - were quite competent thinning attacking squdrons to a point they could not be very effective.

Torpedo's soar past me in wide V shaped directions, they are obviously poorly aimed. This is a nerf mechanic only to overcome after going through a steep learning curve. Bombs splash harmlessly next to my ship poorly aimed aswell. No nerfs there, dropping bombs was not so easy after the rework to begin with. And if bombs hit at all...well varying results but often overpens or citadels with surprisingly low damage. Rockets are somewhat easier to use as some will hit even poorly aimed, but these also do little damage.

In Operations the effect of the nerfs are even more felt. A CV noticable lacks raw stopping power against waves of attackers, even in skilled hands.

All in all there is not much for any newcomer to enjoy in CV's. Not unless they go through a process of days up to a week of really learning how to deal with (accuracy) nerfs alone. Was not the purpose of the rework to make the class more populair ? Even if it was to adapt to console play, console players are often even younger and less patient. How will you achieve this goal if things remain the way they are ?

This is not a complaint i should be able to do much more dagame in CV...i am fine and comfortable with them, really. I do not mean it as an attempt to glorify meself as such a smart skilled player neither, there are a lot of (CV) players with more skill.  But i do fear for those with less patience and will to master something....quite difficult to use. A class should probably not be so uninviting to newcomers with such a steep learning curve, and this learning curve has actually  most to do with dealing with additional applied nerfs. These nerfs may have been necsessary to discourage skilled players to wreak havoc upon all the others, but what of those that have to learn the class ?

Quo Vadis ?

[UNICS]
Players
3,185 posts
12,579 battles

Starting from tier 4, not having played cvs more than a few games before the rework, I'd say tier 4-6 are not very difficult to play. You can learn them as well as any other class in these tiers. Some aren't able to learn any class though, which includes cvs after rework.

For those totally new to the game, they still need to go through tier 1-4 before attempting cvs. If they go straight for cvs, I bet they aren't very good at the other classes either...

• Cool 1

Players
29 posts
2,999 battles

Erm, it was always a baptism by fire for CV when I tried it. I had to watch videos on how to play CV when I first tried as it wasn't intuitive and my first game I was diabolical. 

Drops were - well, if fighters or defensive AA, then a drop was a complete was of time, AND you lost your planes. These days you seem to lose the planes but at least be able to try to drop something resembling a "drop". However, have to try carriers AGAIN as I only tried post update, so maybe the patches have made it really more challenging? 

Crap (or learning is more polite way of saying) player dies easy, minimum or no dmg done, laughably bad. At least CV's get a few attempts to learn about planes as it doesn't risk the ship, and therefore stop launching planes. You can try again to learn. 

I'm not sure what CV players want though - you get to do risk free dmg (to your SHIP, not planes obviously :P ), until they're discovered. If you have endless planes and do great dmg regardless, then where's the balance? There needs to be *something* that's an Achilles heel (weakness), otherwise... Finding it hard at the start of the game where everyone's AA is strongest, while it then gets stripped as game goes on, doesn't sound like a "balance" issue. It sounds about right. Endgame, after fighting many ships, the carrier is v strong if it has full wings still - as inevitably your AA is completely compromised. 

Players
761 posts
4,756 battles

Thats true, when the  enemy CV shot ALL my squadrons out of the sky with a single strafing attack i did not know what was going on. When i did know what was going on it remained pretty hard to counter especially against unfair different ability premium CV's. Could evade the initial strafe and jump them in the back, but even then they often won by disengaging without losing aircraft, strafing again.

In the end i did not engage enemy fighters at all, but stayed on top of allied ships AA, which protected them from bombers a ittle bit extra. That completely neutered their fighter/strafing abilities. Only went out with bombers when they were shot down by AA or distracted somwhere far away. Or flew around their reach.

Yes that was pretty tough to learn also.....but was not (part of ) the objective of WG to make CV play more attractive and enjoyable for a lot more players ?? My point is they are still not achieving that despite unfair abilities being removed. Now it is (accuracy) nerfs and low damage you need to get to grips to.

[M_OB]
Players
432 posts
3,940 battles

Probably yes. CVs were very frustrating for me to play when they came out in 0.8 but I decided to stick with it. I watched guides, I watched people play, I thought I played like I had to but I still couldnt get more than 40-50k tops per game. And around 10-20k when I was bottom tier (talking T8).

I wrote in several threads here about what needed doing and why they were weak. But having played 30-40 games now I think they are pretty balanced as they are. I can do around 100k damage even in T10 games now. Had a game yesterday at 150k in the Lexington when I was top tier.

The one thing so far that I feel could use a bit of finetuning is the catapult fighters from cruisers and battleships. They seem to follow you for WAY too long when you try to get away and when they do catch you they vaporize your entire squad. The CD on them also seems to be extremely short.

The main issue with CVs as I can see now is early game impact. CVs are the most powerful mid to late game atm because people have spread out more, theyve run out of consumables and they have damaged AA. I really really struggle with my winrate in my Lexington despite doing well in it. Yes I am somehow cursed by WG but at the same time I cannot make an early game impact.

• Cool 1
  • Bad 1

Sign in to follow this