Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Zigiran

Smoke not working?

7 comments in this topic

[_FK_]
Players
163 posts
2,624 battles

Not sure if I missed something (still pretty new at this game), so before I make a bug report, I'm hoping somebody else can take a look at this.

In the replay, around 10 minutes in the game, I enter a smoke cloud in my Omaha (smoke was from an enemy DD).

But even though I am fully in the smoke, I am still being spotted and still being targeted by 4 enemy ships (which is unpleasant in an Omaha...)

Why was I still detected? It was not radar or hydro, it does not show those icons. It is just an !, indicating I'm being spotted by a surface ship while in the smoke? :Smile_amazed:

20190216_210314_PASC005-Omaha-1923_13_OC_new_dawn.wowsreplay

[W-C]
Beta Tester, Players, In AlfaTesters
2,535 posts
6,986 battles

Okay I've looked at your replay and yes, it's not a bug.

Every ship that's inside a smoke has its concealment reduced (not nullified) proportional to it's gun caliber while firing (if you don't fire, your concealment in smoke is 2.5km for all ships). So the bigger the guns, the less of a concealment reduction you get. Omaha is a light cruiser so notice on the minimap how its concealment when firing inside a smoke blooms to 6.9km.

That kongo in front of you was close enough to spot you even when you were in smoke. If you're not sure about your concealment ranges, hover your mouse over your ship sillhouette (the one with HP on it), or hold H. There you'll find all concealment values for your ship.

• Cool 1

[_FK_]
Players
163 posts
2,624 battles

Ah, I see.

I'm normaly using DD's when shooting from smoke. I just checked my Kagero and it gets 2.5km detection when firing from smoke. I didn't realize that cruisers got such a huge gun bloom in smoke.

Thanks for the explanation!

One odd thing I just noticed: the Omaha (10 x 152 mm main guns) gets a 6.9 km bloom in smoke, while the Dallas (also 10 x 152 mm main guns) gets a 5.6 km bloom in smoke. That seems.... strange?

[QTANG]
Players
1,170 posts
18,663 battles
37 minutes ago, domen3 said:

if you don't fire, your concealment in smoke is 2.5km for all ships

2.0 or 3.0km, depending on weather the ship spotting you is running target aquisition mod. 1

18 minutes ago, Zigiran said:

One odd thing I just noticed: the Omaha (10 x 152 mm main guns) gets a 6.9 km bloom in smoke, while the Dallas (also 10 x 152 mm main guns) gets a 5.6 km bloom in smoke. That seems.... strange?

It's dependend on caliber, concealment and possibly stock range as well. But in my book fundamentally it's another parameter WG uses to balance ships.

(e.g. Minotaur and Edinburgh are significantly stealthier when smoke-shooting than the Neptune, all on similar 152mm guns)

[W-C]
Beta Tester, Players, In AlfaTesters
2,535 posts
6,986 battles
13 minutes ago, Zigiran said:

Ah, I see.

I'm normaly using DD's when shooting from smoke. I just checked my Kagero and it gets 2.5km detection when firing from smoke. I didn't realize that cruisers got such a huge gun bloom in smoke.

Thanks for the explanation!

Probably because of balance...but the general rule for smoke firing concealment is: destroyers<CL<CA<Battleships

[ADRIA]
[ADRIA]
Players
4,945 posts
7,619 battles

Both - gun caliber and ships base concealment - play a part in the smoke detection range. This is why ships with identical gun caliber can still have that value differing.

And, of course, if it's needed a simple "balance tweak" can change the value for any specific ship, upwards or downwards.

Sign in to follow this